Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default RT109 paving...

YAAAAAAAAH! They started laying out the grooving signs and motorcycles use caution signs this morning on RT109. There were some guys putting them out. I stopped and started clapping for them. They all looked at me like I had 6 heads. But they knew what I was talkin' about! Hopefully it will be nice for 6 months or so before the frost heaves "ripple" up the road again!

The section they are doing in Wolfeboro is nice and flat. Smelled real good in the hot sun the other day too. Gotta love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

Now I just have to figure out how long it is gonna take me to make it in to work with them on the road....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Fresh asphalt

LR there is nothing like riding on fresh asphalt! I hope they get to 113 this year, but even if they don't it is still one of my favorite after work rides.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Orion

Default waste of our money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Hopefully it will be nice for 6 months or so before the frost heaves "ripple" up the road again!
You've hit the nail on the head. Repaving a bad roadbed is a total waste of taxpayer money. The road needs to be rebuilt on a solid bed with better drainage.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Lakesrider

In my letter to the Governor I mentioned this fact about the road bed. I said doing the paver-shim is like putting the proverbial lipstick on a pig idea. I reiterated the fact that RT109 is designated as a scenic byway and as such can apply for federal funding for improvements. Most of the paving will be simply a skim coat and maybe fill in the cracks. But even that will be safer for the motorcycles and bicycles. The entire section through Melvin Village is horrible, both in summer, and (worse) in winter. There are a few other sections that are notably worse in winter. Those sections should have been taken care of with this taxpayer money rather than paver-shim the whole thing. Then next year attack the rest. But at least I wrote in...(Had a secretary or a some intern call to thank me for the letter and to check the website....)

http://www.bywaysonline.org/program/us_code.html

Eligible Projects. - The following are projects that are eligible for Federal assistance under this section:

1. An activity related to the planning, design, or development of a State or Indian tribe scenic byway program.
2. Development and implementation of a corridor management plan to maintain the scenic, historical, recreational, cultural, natural, and archaeological characteristics of a byway corridor while providing for accommodation of increased tourism and development of related amenities.
3. Safety improvements to a State scenic byway, Indian tribe scenic byway, National Scenic Byway, All-American Road, or one of America's Byways to the extent that the improvements are necessary to accommodate increased traffic and changes in the types of vehicles using the highway as a result of the designation as a State scenic byway, Indian tribe scenic byway, National Scenic Byway, All-American Road, or one of America's Byways.
4. Construction along a scenic byway of a facility for pedestrians and bicyclists, rest area, turnout, highway shoulder improvement, overlook, or interpretive facility.
5. An improvement to a scenic byway that will enhance access to an area for the purpose of recreation, including water-related recreation.

6. Protection of scenic, historical, recreational, cultural, natural, and archaeological resources in an area adjacent to a scenic byway.
7. Development and provision of tourist information to the public, including interpretive information about a scenic byway.
8. Development and implementation of a scenic byway marketing program.

One thing that is needed on that road is a bicycle/pedestrian lane. I drive South every morning and there is always people walking their dogs or just plain walking on the side of the road which is dangerous to say the least, on a road that is barely 2 lanes wide with no shoulder at all. Matter of fact the shoulder of that road is practically disintegrating.
Oh well we will see how it goes....
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Shreddy

Couldn't agree more. I drive South to Wolfeboro every morning around 7:15 and I always encounter runners, pedestrians, dog-walkers, etc. It is dangerous. There needs to be engineering done to the road to make for better drainage or it won't last year with the lovely New England winters we get. It just doesn't seem logical for longevity to skim pave it. Is this not common sense? Invest a little bit more now so it pays off in the long run. Believe me, that road isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
mg2107

Whats the matter with the sidewalk?
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Lakesrider

The only sidewalk on the whole 18 miles is in Wolfeboro and that has had it's own issues with water main switchover work for the past year or so. 109 truly would be a great bicycle road if it had its own lane for pedestrians and cyclists. It would be much safer as 109 has many sharp/blind turns in it (at 40mph) that hide pedestrians until you are almost on top of them. My biggest complaint besides the frost heaves and center of lane cracks has been the disintegration of the shoulders, which is very dangerous to everyone. The rains, plowing, big trucks, age, have all contributed to the pavement breaking off the shoulders. The lanes are tight and if you get off the shoulder with with a tire it can hook you and off into the other lane, or into the trees you can go. The shoulders are also where everyone walks or rides their bikes. We all saw what the heavy rains did to the drainage ditches a few years ago. Eroded them to the point the state had to come in and fill/ repair them....Not good.......Too bad as it it such a nice area.

I have to comment that once again Wolfeboro gets all the nice 2" pavement while the small towns like Tuftonboro/Melvin Village get the shaft of shim paving instead of a nice road, through a beautiful town.
Well that is my rant...For the day.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
riverat

Default Don't take 109 if you're in a hurry

On occassion I like to take a motorcycle ride around the lake and I am in no hurry, I enjoy the sights and smells of the countryside. But when I get to the 109 portion of the ride, even though the speed limit may be 40MPH I find it difficult to travel that fast on two wheels dodging cracks, bumps, holes and other deformities in the roadway and frequently must slow down some. Resulting in other vehicles who are in a hurry to get to their destination trying to pass me where passing is not permitted. I believe the Road Conditions should be matched to the posted Speed Limits and therefore, my belief is this is not the case on Rt.109. So if you are in a hurry and traveling 109 and come upon a motorcycle puttin' along dodging and dipping, may God help us both!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Shreddy

Default Move over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
On occassion I like to take a motorcycle ride around the lake and I am in no hurry, I enjoy the sights and smells of the countryside. But when I get to the 109 portion of the ride, even though the speed limit may be 40MPH I find it difficult to travel that fast on two wheels dodging cracks, bumps, holes and other deformities in the roadway and frequently must slow down some. Resulting in other vehicles who are in a hurry to get to their destination trying to pass me where passing is not permitted. I believe the Road Conditions should be matched to the posted Speed Limits and therefore, my belief is this is not the case on Rt.109. So if you are in a hurry and traveling 109 and come upon a motorcycle puttin' along dodging and dipping, may God help us both!
Your point is completely understandable, however, the logical thing to do in this case is to pull over to the side and let the person who wants to go faster go by. Why is this a hard concept for drivers to understand. I drive fast, and I drive mildly fast on 109. I constanly have people in cars traveling well below the speed limit. You are still traveling slow no matter if I am behind you or in front of you. Why not let me go by and you don't have to worry about me? This isn't a hard concept and it utterly pisses me off at times.

I'm not saying pull over IMMEDIATELY, but if you have an open area where you can pull to the side then be courteous.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
goosejr

Unfortunately, most people do not seem the realize that most of 109 is residential and just use that 40 mph speed limit as a starting point.

I am afraid of how fast drivers are going to go when they have nice, new, smooth paving.
goosejr is offline   Reply With Quote