Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
joann721

Default Okay... Winter Is Here !!!

First of all I have been enjoying all the posts of the winterfolks waiting with anticipation to enjoy the lake as a giant ice cube. But I am not a winter person give me bright sunshine, a calm lake, and temp in the 90's and I am a happy girl.

I have been reading all of the posting of people, waiting for ice, dancing for snow, waiting for "WIND CHILL FACTORS" and now you have them and I, for one, HATE IT. But for the first time, in a long time, I am seeing it from a different perspective, dealing with the bitterness of winter so that my "forum friends" can enjoy their winter toys. So have at it !!!

My husband keeps telling me that we need to rent a snowmobile and give it a try. But I have been in my office for over an hour now, and my feet are just warming up so I am hesitant & dont even get me started on ICE FISHING...

So for all of you who have been waiting patiently for this "misery" enjoy yourselves. Savour every minute, I for one, am counting down the days until a cruise thru the broads doesnt involve "ICE THICKNESS"....

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

That's really too bad - you have no idea what you're missing.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
JTA

Default Try it

Toward then end of February the ice should still be good and the weather may give us some nice weather. When you are out on the lake, especially on the islands, it is beautiful. What I like most is the incredible silence. You don't realize that in the summer you always have that sound of moving/lapping water. In the winter it can be completely silent. Then you start to feel the increasing warmth of the sun. Can't be beat!
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
My husband keeps telling me that we need to rent a snowmobile and give it a try. But I have been in my office for over an hour now, and my feet are just warming up so I am hesitant & dont even get me started on ICE FISHING...
Listen to your husband and give it a try. Just make sure you are dressed properly and give it a go. Next weekend would be a great time to start. I don't get that whole fishing thing either but the derby is a blast anyway. I like to just ride around the lake and talk with the fisherman, but you don't even need a sled to enjoy it. Just take a ride up to Meredith and walk around on the bay for a while and you'll understand what all the fuss is about. Start by going out and renting Grumpy Old Men to get you in the mood.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
gwood

Default snowmobiling on the lake

I take it that snowmobiling on the lake is legal. I also take it from reading this post that there are rental places willing to rent out snowmobiles to people so they can ride them on the lake. Is all this true?

Sounds like a great weekend trip for my family. Does anyone have info for me regarding where to rent and/or stay for such a trip?

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Smitty1

Sledding is legal on lake. I am not sure about snowmbile rentals in the Lakes Region.

You may have to go to North Conway for rentals.

We were on the trails and Lake around Moultonborough for most of the day yesterday. It was a Blast!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
GWC...

Some snowmobile rental links that might help:

http://www.visitnh.gov/vacation-pack...w-england.html

http://www.nhsnowmobilerentals.com/n...le_rentals.htm

http://www.directorynh.com/NHRecreat...wmobiling.html

http://www.nhoutdoors.com/snowmobile.htm

and

when all else fails, try this site’s archives:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...hp/t-2676.html
Old 02-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Gatto Nero

Default Why rent?

With the way the past few winters have gone I bet there are plenty of people ready to sell you a quality used machine for cost of a weekend rental.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
BoulderBronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
With the way the past few winters have gone I bet there are plenty of people ready to sell you a quality used machine for cost of a weekend rental.
Thats what I did. My parents only have one sled so we bought another one just for the weekend. I already put it on Ebay to sell it again.
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ...only Wildcat is open!

For one more week till the 22nd, Wildcat is the one and only NH ski area open. Today, April 15, was the last day for Bretton Woods, Loon and Sunapee, and everthing else closed last Sunday. Supposedly, the ski areas run out of paying customers and it's just the season pass holders who show up. Is that a good reason to close?

Is there any snowmobiling up north of Franconia Notch in Bethlehem on the Jefferson Notch Rd or somewhere? Maybe 8" of heavy snow has fallen so far in WV, today.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
ITD

Default Looks like Sunapee is open too.

From Sunapee's website:

"We received another 8-10" Sunday and we just can't bring ourselves to close. We will now try to remain open until Sunday, April 22, weather permitting. Stay tuned to our web site and the latest snow report."

You can ski or ride for $32, almost like Walmart.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
Zeke

Default ski on

Wildcat is still getting both rain & snow today, but with a net gain in snow. As the week goes on, they will continue to get more snow. They have all of the trails open. Now, if it would just warm up a bit for something that would resemble spring skiing we would be all set. Thurs on seems as if it will be the best. It does seem they will have bragging rights this year, as far as longest open.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote