Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #1
sgold44

Default Major Bonehead

I just have to vent!! On Saturday, around 4:00 pm, after enjoying a nice day at Weirs w/ my family & my 2 nephews (age 7 & 10), I began the cruise back to Alton Bay. After leaving the Govs island no wake zone, I powered up & headed towards the Witches. Approx 200 yards before the witches markers, I had a boat ahead of me, & 2 boats approaching from the NW, on my Port side. I noticed neither the boat in front of me nor the 1st boat approaching on my left giving way to each other, so I slowed down & waited to see what would happen. I seriously thought I may see a collision. The larger boat on my Port finally stopped & let the boat in front of me pass, as he should. The boat on the Port or Left is the give way boat, the starboard or right is the Stand on. Correct???? Then, I powered up & proceeded ahead, when I realized the next boat approching from my left is not going to give way to me. I immediately pulled back & maneuvered to my port to go behind him to avoid a collision, & this @#$%^^&&* Captain gave me the Middle finger salute. Oh well, life goes on, but I had to vent.
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
jetskier

Default Nice Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold44 View Post
I just have to vent!! On Saturday, around 4:00 pm, after enjoying a nice day at Weirs w/ my family & my 2 nephews (age 7 & 10), I began the cruise back to Alton Bay. After leaving the Govs island no wake zone, I powered up & headed towards the Witches. Approx 200 yards before the witches markers, I had a boat ahead of me, & 2 boats approaching from the NW, on my Port side. I noticed neither the boat in front of me nor the 1st boat approaching on my left giving way to each other, so I slowed down & waited to see what would happen. I seriously thought I may see a collision. The larger boat on my Port finally stopped & let the boat in front of me pass, as he should. The boat on the Port or Left is the give way boat, the starboard or right is the Stand on. Correct???? Then, I powered up & proceeded ahead, when I realized the next boat approching from my left is not going to give way to me. I immediately pulled back & maneuvered to my port to go behind him to avoid a collision, & this @#$%^^&&* Captain gave me the Middle finger salute. Oh well, life goes on, but I had to vent.
I really wonder whether most people understand the right of way rules. I came out of the no wake zone between Govenors Island and Eagle Island on my jetski about 5:00 on Saturday. A boat from Anchor Marine cut across my bow from port to starbord. Now I maintain that he was the give way boat, but I had to swerve out of his way. The driver did not appear to even realize what he had done. I think that we either need some refresher courses or I am going to have to put deck guns on the jetski.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
VtSteve

There is no refresher course needed. Just as on the roads, many people in boats simply drive straight to where they want to go. YOU are to slow down or stop, THEY do not care. There is no give away boat, it's always YOU. Now picture waterways with 75% of these idiot, and you have a problem.

Too bad nobody enforces it, too bad it's the major problem.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Resident 2B

Default Busy Saturday at the Weirs

Saturday was a busy day at the Weirs. I think that a lot of folks decided to come over and see the damage from the washout. I also noticed that the 150' rule was not being adheared to much, if at all, and that few people understand the rules about stand-on and give-way vessels.

I have gotten to the point that unless the give-way vessel demonstrates the willingness to give-way while 300' or so away, I alter course/speed in the interest of safety. I fully realize the stand-on vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed, but when it is busy and the lake is full of inexperienced boaters, you have to think about your personal safety.

I have seen too many times the give-way captain who maintains his course/speed giving the one-finger-salute to the stand-on vessel. These folks seem to want to let everyone know their boating IQ is 1.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Audiofn

I am always the give way boat as far as I am concerned. I always assume that the other person does not know what they are doing. Glad this turned out to be just a upsetting event and that you did what you had to do!!!
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post

I have gotten to the point that unless the give-way vessel demonstrates the willingness to give-way while 300' or so away, I alter course/speed in the interest of safety. I fully realize the stand-on vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed, but when it is busy and the lake is full of inexperienced boaters, you have to think about your personal safety.

The most important rule is don't hit another boat, it overrides the requirement that the stand-on boat maintain course and speed.

II. (a) It shall be the duty of each vessel to keep to the right when vessels are approaching each other head on.
(b) When the courses of vessels are so far to the starboard of each other as not to be considered as approaching head on, they shall keep to the left.
III. When vessels are crossing courses or approaching each other in an oblique direction which may involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other, allowing the latter vessel to keep its course and speed.
IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.
V. If, when vessels are approaching each other, either vessel fails to understand the course or intention of the other from any cause, such vessel or vessels shall immediately slow to a speed barely sufficient for steerage until the vessels have safely passed each other. If it appears the danger of collision is imminent both vessels shall stop or reverse and not proceed until such danger has been averted.

Sometimes it seems like the crossing boats just want to play chicken. I always chicken out first, better safe then sorry.

I don't think the MP give out many ticket for these rules, they can't really see the angles unless they are one of the boats.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
MJM

I had a similar situation off Sewall Point...a boat coming from my port side, we were both going approx the same speed (25-ish), and he decided he was just going to go straight. Knowing a Marine Patrol boat was fairly close, I slowed enough to be safe, but making it clearly visible that Bonehead failed to give-way and definitely came well within 150ft of my bow.

I smiled, thinking "I'm going to enjoy this idiot getting pulled over and getting a ticket!" I looked at the MP boat, could see the officer was looking in our direction....and he just sat there. Capt Bonehead continued on his way, I shook my head in disgust, and MP floated.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
JTA

Much of boat navigation is common sense IMHO. You can look ahead and adjust course to avoid many "right of way" situations. I don't over-worry about who has the right of way as I realize that fewer people have common sense these days (I don't know why). I gave up road rage and the finger a long time ago, it's better for my health. I will give way to the "bonehead" and go on with my life realizing that somewhere he'll/she'll learn a lesson.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
sa meredith

Quote:
What you have stated happens all the time! And drives me crazy. The best part is when the captain bonehead actually blames the boat that had the right of way. Simply amazing!
This is how I have have solved the problem...On Saturdays and Sundays, I am always the give way vessel. Too many clueless people out there.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #10
VtSteve

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
Much of boat navigation is common sense IMHO. You can look ahead and adjust course to avoid many "right of way" situations. I don't over-worry about who has the right of way as I realize that fewer people have common sense these days (I don't know why). I gave up road rage and the finger a long time ago, it's better for my health. I will give way to the "bonehead" and go on with my life realizing that somewhere he'll/she'll learn a lesson.
I had an interesting "discussion" with Captain Bonehead/tuber this summer. Large beach, tons of boats at anchor. He insisted in tubing close to the anchorage, sometimes turning in and going In Between anchored boats, probably 30' or so to each vessel. I watched intently, and saw him go back to the beach, anchoring in an area not too close to other boats. Our little discussion started nicely, telling him politely that boats at anchor rock quite a bit when slapped with his waves, he was too close, people swim in beach areas, etc..

He politely told me that He had much experience, tubed this way all the time didn't see the problem. So, that was that, wished him a nice day. I motored off at headway speed for ten minutes or so. We turned around, and headed to the best angle towards my intended target I felt right around 15 mph trimmed high would be appropriate. Mr. tubing dipstick and all aboard were sitting down in their vessel. I smiled intently, even took their picture, as my biggest wave rocked them good. Yes, I did make sure that in no way would my wake disrupt anyone else, or I would have just grumbled and left. After a couple of these sophomoric displays, I idled over to Tuber idiot, who at this point was staring at me in a not so happy way.

I smiled, he yelled "What the heck are you doing?". I smiled again, and simply said "I took your advice, and decided that I had tons of experience, was not bothering anyone. I also said I didn't see what the problem was. I could see his wife smiling. I idled away at headway speed. Who knows if he got the point, but at least now he has more experience.

The next time these type of events occur, I will have it on video, and will use the VHF to hail down whomever will listen and come to see for themselves.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
sa meredith

Default Well, maybe

Although I see your point, and smiled a bit at the story...I'm not sure that was the best way to handle the situation. Sort of asking for confrontation. Maybe booze is involved...who knows...and things could get ugly quick. And then you would both be sorry it happened.
I think just letting him know that you and everyone else knew he was clueless was enough.
Tube within 30 feet of a stationary object in the water??!! He put many people at risk if this is true. 30 feet? 10 yards. Just a "first down" away.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #12
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Although I see your point, and smiled a bit at the story...I'm not sure that was the best way to handle the situation. Sort of asking for confrontation. Maybe booze is involved...who knows...and things could get ugly quick. And then you would both be sorry it happened.
I think just letting him know that you and everyone else knew he was clueless was enough.
Tube within 30 feet of a stationary object in the water??!! He put many people at risk if this is true. 30 feet? 10 yards. Just a "first down" away.
Heck, I've seen them so close my brush's extension pole could have washed their boat as well. Clueless is something these people don't worry about, it's all about them. First hand experience and aggravation works better in these case. The fact that there are rarely any of the authorities around in areas where the percentage of stopping someone in the act is at or near 100% is a clear indicator of why it's happening with alarming frequency.

The fact that some people have spent so much time attacking GFBL boats and getting the speed limit law passed while ignoring these issues is quite revealing in itself.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Resident 2B

Default The real safety issue

These Captain Boneheads are the real safety issue on the lake. Although boating seems to be down this year, there is no shortage of these Captain Boneheads.

Anyone that believes that HB-862 is going to give us a safer lake is significantly lacking in common sense. I hope that the NHMP starts to do something about the real problem, unsafe operation, before people get hurt.

I realize that some kayakers feel that they get "buzzed" because the operators do not see them. From their prospective, I am sure that they believe this and that they are telling us what they believe to be true. This is what they are experiencing. However, I have a 29' boat that is very easy to see, and I get "buzzed" and have my 150' space violated very often. It has nothing to do with speed, it is all about safe or unsafe operation.

Got to get back to work on the ark. Noah is out gather groups of two from each species. I asked him to leave the Captain Boneheads off his list.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Senter Cove Guy

Quote:
On Saturday, around 4:00 pm, after enjoying a nice day at Weirs w/ my family & my 2 nephews (age 7 & 10), I began the cruise back to Alton Bay. After leaving the Govs island no wake zone, I powered up & headed towards the Witches. Approx 200 yards before the witches markers, I had a boat ahead of me, & 2 boats approaching from the NW, on my Port side. I noticed neither the boat in front of me nor the 1st boat approaching on my left giving way to each other, so I slowed down & waited to see what would happen. I seriously thought I may see a collision. The larger boat on my Port finally stopped & let the boat in front of me pass, as he should.
I was the stand on boat and I was very aware of what was happening. The captain of the give way boat was day dreaming off to his port side. I was prepared to give way but didn't have to as the other captain finally realized the situation. The moral of the story, more captaining and less daydreaming makes for a safer lake.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
randalnh

Default Boneheads you say

I was pulling up to the gas docks at the Weirs on Sunday and had the following series of events unfold. First, a guy in what looked like a new boat (about 23/24 footer) exceeding headway speed within 50 feet of the gas docks almost cuts me off in a hurry to beat me to the dock - a nasty look from me and he backs off. Then, as I am maneuvering at the dock I put it into reverse to get closer to the dock - I look behind me and this nitwit is about 5 feet off of my stern. I have to throw it back into forward to avoid hitting him. Finally get to the dock and tie up to get gas. Captain Nitwit on th opposite side of the dock now, spins his boat partly around to get his gas cap facing the proper side iof the dock - as he maneuvers, he hits the dock with his bow (he is now not at the controls but at the back of the boat) and from the stern of his boat, which is out about 8-10 feet he throws a stern line to the dock girl that had to be 1 1/2 inch in diameter and about 30 feet long - the line hits the dock and continues into my boat (I am on the opposite side of the dock). Now I am just guessing, but I bet this guy is one of those Boneheads that does not know the stand-on rules.

Always a few thrills on Winni weekends.
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
VtSteve

Just as in cars, any dumb arse can buy a boat. Driver training never helped either

Just think of it this way, people drive boats with the very same attitude they approach cars, shopping carts, and lift lines. Just way to much arrogance and selfishness out there to be anything but wary.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #17
Winnipesaukee

Default Don't you guys get it yet?

This is the only law followed on the lake:

Quote:
"All vessels shall have right of way over you."
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Over the years I have learned to not even think about the rules......because around 20% of the boaters don't have a clue.I judge each approaching boat defensively and react accordingly.After receiving 1/2 of a peace sign from a few captains that don't know the rules,I just automatically give way to passing boats....it's not worth the aggravation.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Alton Bay Bob

I agree. I start out by thinking the other boater will know the rules and follow them. But I am quickly ready to change course. I must admit before the required licensing course I might have been a captain bonehead from lack of knowledge. But after taking the course and now reviewing the rules every year and learning from this forum I have become a much better boater. Thank you to all who have taught me over the years....PS I'll wave to you all
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
SAMIAM

Thanks,Bob.....I assume you will be using all of your fingers
Old 08-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #21
coronado

Default Daddy Capt. Bonehead

This was witnessed by me, a couple weeks ago, in the Gilford area..... Daddy in his ski boat ,takes his two boys out to ski. The older boy (appeared to be 16/18 yrs old) starts off and skis around the area for a bit and takes a tumble... Dad and the young boy (12/14yrs) go get the ski and reel in the rope.. they then go over to pick up the older boy. They are now approx. 400ft from shore. Dad noses the boat up to the boy in the water... the boy, facing the boat, reaches up and grabs the bow light and places his legs on either side of the bow at the water line.... Dad hits the gas and away we go.. not too fast probably 6/7 mph... We were horrified, one slip and that kid was toast... there was no way that Dad could have stopped that boat if the boy lost his grip...Dad traveled the 400ft or so back to shore this way, and dropped the kid off near shore. Something tells me they have done this more than once.... and someday it could prove to be deadly... I wonder if this guy knows the rules of the road? Or if he really cares?
coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
Pineedles

Makes me shudder to think about it. The father, I won't call him a Dad, probably wouldn't even know if the boy slipped off. If he doesn't wind up killing his kids his grandchildren are in danger as this type of behavior is learned. It just gets riskier with every generation.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
Mr. Moyer

gives me a pit in my stomach just thinking about the potential consequences. If you see this again, please go over and let them know of your concern. I'm sure all involved, haven't thought through what they are doing. they probably think it is no big deal. A number of lives can be changed in a second if something were to happen.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #24
sa meredith

Default unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronado View Post
This was witnessed by me, a couple weeks ago, in the Gilford area..... Daddy in his ski boat ,takes his two boys out to ski. The older boy (appeared to be 16/18 yrs old) starts off and skis around the area for a bit and takes a tumble... Dad and the young boy (12/14yrs) go get the ski and reel in the rope.. they then go over to pick up the older boy. They are now approx. 400ft from shore. Dad noses the boat up to the boy in the water... the boy, facing the boat, reaches up and grabs the bow light and places his legs on either side of the bow at the water line.... Dad hits the gas and away we go.. not too fast probably 6/7 mph... We were horrified, one slip and that kid was toast... there was no way that Dad could have stopped that boat if the boy lost his grip...Dad traveled the 400ft or so back to shore this way, and dropped the kid off near shore. Something tells me they have done this more than once.... and someday it could prove to be deadly... I wonder if this guy knows the rules of the road? Or if he really cares?
Wow! I actually cringed as I read this. Literally got sweaty palms. Imagine being the kid hanging on, and falling, and thinking, "gee, I wonder what's going to happe....................
Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
Newbiesaukee

Default This is actually first mate bonehead..

I am looking out my window and at least 1/4 mile offshore in the channel between Long Island and Little Bear I see ( but don't believe) two 11-14 yo boys without any PFDs, each on a small foam swim raft paddling around!!! No one else in sight!!! Fortunately no power boats around either. What were they thinking?...then again, they are adolescent boys which I guess answers the question.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
COWISLAND NH

Quote:
Now if that boy were to get hurt....would it be speed related bc he was going faster then headway speed w/ in 150 feet of shore??? WinnFab would say so i bet! DUMB THRILL SEEKER!!! LOL
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
Dad noses the boat up to the boy in the water... the boy, facing the boat, reaches up and grabs the bow light and places his legs on either side of the bow at the water line.... Dad hits the gas and away we go.. not too fast probably 6/7 mph...

Any chance it was a jet drive? If so, it would have been a harmless (but still really dumb) stunt.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #28
Seeker

Quote:
Dad noses the boat up to the boy in the water... the boy, facing the boat, reaches up and grabs the bow light and places his legs on either side of the bow at the water line.... Dad hits the gas and away we go.. not too fast probably 6/7 mph... We were horrified, one slip and that kid was toast...
I would have had to have had a little talk with that operator. Sounds like it's been standard practice with them.
I stopped a pontoon boat on another lake that had a young child sitting on the bow dangling his legs in the water as they went along at maybe 8mph. The boat, around an 18 footer, had about 10 people on it and was very low in the water. This was a July 4th weekend. I guess I just can't understand some of these parents.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM   #29
jrc

I think I saw James Bond do this is a movie or was it the movie with Jessica Alba and sharks.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #30
jasn

Seeing this thread makes me feel better, because I was thinking about starting one about the same subject myself. I'm amazed at how many boaters who either don't know about or ignore the the Give-way rule that I question my own memory and have looked it up twice to be sure I'm not the one at fault.

Last year I had one of those stupid stand-offs with a boater coming from my port side and wound up furious and shaking my fist. All I really did was lose a good hat and scare the crap out of my non-boating passengers. I felt pretty foolish afterward.
jasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #31
Justenuff

Unhappy Been There, Done That

Can't tell you how many times I have almost been bisected by Captain Bonehead. Being a slow blow boater on Winni has it's challenges.
On my way back from Black Cat last Saturday, I was on a reach from Timber Island area and one Bonehead decided to adjust something in the boat, taking his eyes off the direction of travel. Of course, he didn't slow down from his 30 - 40 mph pace, and I had to use my horn to keep him from slicing me in half.
At the last minute (I felt the spray from his boat), he managed to turn away from me, otherwise we would have a new boating accident thread.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Justenuff For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-27-2010)
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
BeaverIslandGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Over the years I have learned to not even think about the rules......because around 20% of the boaters don't have a clue.I judge each approaching boat defensively and react accordingly.After receiving 1/2 of a peace sign from a few captains that don't know the rules,I just automatically give way to passing boats....it's not worth the aggravation.
SIM has it right. Having been boating here for 40 years, in the last 5 I have taken to a full defensive posture, assuming that any boat that I can see 360 degrees around me that is not heading away from me is a potential issue. I just assume they don't know the rules and give them at least 300 ft and asjust speed accordingly.

It is so bad I have have taken to wearing a (very comfortable) lifevest all the time, even before and after getting on/off the boat due to large wakes and people violating the 150 ft rule. I view it the same as having airbags. While I don't ever plan on using them, I have to protect my family. I can only control my own actions, not the captain boneheads of the world. If you see me wearing it (I do go to CH a lot), try not to laugh too hard.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:39 AM   #33
sea_n_ski

There are times when it is just best to leave the boat at the dock. Saturday between 11 AM - 3 PM and Sunday 11 AM - 1 PM is a zoo. I find Sunday afternoons the best time to enjoy the lake. That is when we typically do our cruise around. The crazies seem to be heading home terrorizing Rt 93 instead of the lake.
sea_n_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #34
SAMIAM

Is there any place in America that is crazier than Weirs bay at 3 o'clock on a hot Saturday?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:36 AM   #35
sa meredith

Default Friday

Friday, August 15th.....12 noon...
Coming out of Paugus Bay, toward channel (what a current in there, by the way) and was well past the "No Wake" marker....probably 35/40 yards or so (over 100 feet) , and a 26' red and white Crownline bow rider PASSES ME! And there is a decent line of boats....he is actually going along at a decent clip...himself and two passengers aboard. I shout out to him, "Do you realize you are in a no wake zone?" A fair question...maybe he really does not know.
His reply? "Don't worry about me". So I give him the benefit of the doubt...maybe he is in some type of an emergency situation, and needs to get to Channell or Thurston's in a hurry....but alas, no, he gets in line, and heads off toward Governor's.
I guess he saw the signs, he figured, "well, I don't think anyone died, so there must be 'no wake' ".
Old 08-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #36
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs down Worst time on the lake

Between Memorial Day and labor Day is 3 PM Friday to 3 PM Sunday. It is like a zoo.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #37
wildwoodfam

Question I'm confused -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I am looking out my window and at least 1/4 mile offshore in the channel between Long Island and Little Bear I see ( but don't believe) two 11-14 yo boys without any PFDs, each on a small foam swim raft paddling around!!! No one else in sight!!! Fortunately no power boats around either. What were they thinking?...then again, they are adolescent boys which I guess answers the question.
The channel between Lil Bear and LI is about 200 feet wide (if that) - so how are they 1/4 mile off shore? I need clarification on where they were.

I have to admit - I have swum through that channel before - and isn't that what being at the lake is all about playing around in the lake? I am glad there were TWO of them - if it were just one kid I'd have said something to him/her.

I guess I just pay attention when I am out in the boat - and am not surprised nor alarmed to see people - espcially teens swimming all over the lake. Again - isnt that what it is really all about?
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #38
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Is there any place in America that is crazier than Weirs bay at 3 o'clock on a hot Saturday?
Yes. Boston Harbor near President Roads is like the Ho Chi Min Trail on a summer Sunday. And there's NO 150' rule.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #39
Airwaves

Quote:
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
Yes. Boston Harbor near President Roads is like the Ho Chi Min Trail on a summer Sunday. And there's NO 150' rule.
I was thinking the Mouth of the Merrimack in Newburyport any time on a summer weekend. No 150 foot rule there either
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #40
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodfam View Post
The channel between Lil Bear and LI is about 200 feet wide (if that) - so how are they 1/4 mile off shore? I need clarification on where they were.
Google shows it to be more like 200 meters.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...17509&t=h&z=15

Don't you think that area to be a bit too travelled to swim? That is a major route. It's that or the Hole-in-the-Wall.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #41
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Intercoastal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
I was thinking the Mouth of the Merrimack in Newburyport any time on a summer weekend. No 150 foot rule there either
Try the intercoastal between Palm Beach and Lauderdale. No 150' rule!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #42
Orion

Default Let's start with the rules first, then adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandGuy View Post
SIM has it right. Having been boating here for 40 years, in the last 5 I have taken to a full defensive posture, assuming that any boat that I can see 360 degrees around me that is not heading away from me is a potential issue. I just assume they don't know the rules and give them at least 300 ft and asjust speed accordingly.
Actually Alton Bay Bob had it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay Bob View Post
I agree. I start out by thinking the other boater will know the rules and follow them. But I am quickly ready to change course. I agree. I start out by thinking the other boater will know the rules and follow them. But I am quickly ready to change course.
Under normal circumstances, the stand on vessel SHOULD maintain course and speed so that the give way vessel knows how to adjust. If everyone is "adjusting", it's harder to figure out which way to go. Of course, be prepared to yield to the boneheads who don't know the rules.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #43
chipj29

Quote:
I can vouch for that. I about got swamped by a giant wake coming out of there one day last August. That place is a zoo!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #44
EricP

Today I had to yield twice to Captain Boneheads in big boats, 1 cruiser and 1 GFBL even though I legally had the right of way and they should have given way, apparently being on a jet ski means you MUST get out of the way, or the bigger boat always has the right of way? In the first instance had I not basically slowed and turned off my course I probably would have been run down. Clearly voilated the 150' rule, and I never saw him as he came up over my right shoulder seemingly from nowhere. I am usually keeping a lookout all around me but missed this guy until he was maybe 500' away and closing fast. In both cases I chose safety over being right
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #45
Irrigation Guy

Yep Eric, can't blame you for giving way, sometimes that is referred to as "Dead Right". Nobody would want that distinction.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #46
Newbiesaukee

Default To clarify the geography...

From approximately Harilla's to Little Bear is about 1/2 mile and the boys were about mid-way. Teens may be teens, but this is no place to swim. There is, of course, a narrow channel from part of Long Island to Little Bear (near the no rafting "East Cove"), but this is not the location to which I was referring. Sorry for the confusion.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:39 AM   #47
ApS

Default Featuring the "Powerboat Excluder Device"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justenuff View Post
"...Can't tell you how many times I have almost been bisected by Captain Bonehead. Being a slow blow boater on Winni has it's challenges..."
Boy, does it ever.

What you need is a DIY "Powerboat Excluder" for sunny days.

The prototype modeled here has three disposable CDs attached to an old hat. However, just one CD in front is best, as it is really a powerful mirror used to reflect the sun.

While you could simply carry a CD on board, this model can be "aimed" by just moving your head: meanwhile, control of your boat can be maintained with both hands. The results are highly gratifying, and kayakers have commented favorably about it.

Some "previously-flashed" locals give my boat a wide berth; on the other hand, skippers who fail to notice the bright flash from my boat get my instant concern and attention.

Bass boats and Jet-Skis never seem to miss it—perhaps because they are always focused forward.

It's highly effective. Try one—you'll like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Any chance it was a jet drive? If so, it would have been a harmless (but still really dumb) stunt.
I was just reading that injuries from a jet drive can be severe. ("Ask an ER doctor".) 'Guess it'd be deadly if you got a snootful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
"...From approximately Harilla's to Little Bear is about 1/2 mile and the boys were about mid-way. Teens may be teens, but this is no place to swim..."
I've seen the NHMPs shoo "littler" kids on swim rafts closer to shore: with the remarkable increase in lakefront rentals in my locale, it's a much more common sight this year.

I was just reading of an Internet post where the Coast Guard fined a boater $250 reckless operation—for passing swimmers near a dive flag, ¼-mile off a beach—in the ocean!

Quote:
"...Dad noses the boat up to the boy in the water... the boy, facing the boat, reaches up and grabs the bow light and places his legs on either side of the bow at the water line.... Dad hits the gas..."
Not as bad as the photo below: This little girl is riding on the swim platform!

Both ends of a boat should be of concern.
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 08-25-2008 at 06:09 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #48
jrc

Since we are talking about people swiming in th channel, I have to tell about a heart stopper on Sunday in the Weirs Channel. I was leaving Paugus Bay just passing the cabins approaching the partially collapsed docks opposite Thurstons gas docks. A man is standing on those docks in a bathing suit. As I slow he jumps into the channel, I thought he was going to swim to Thurstons but he doesn't, he turns left an swims down the side of the channel, he has less than 5 feet from my boat.

I hit neutral just so my props would stop for a few seconds as he went by. I guess he was relatively safe but it scared the Ship out of me.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #49
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
... I hit neutral just so my props would stop for a few seconds as he went by. ...
I cant say for sure about I/O, but on an outboard motor the props are always turning even at idle. Just FYI.

I don't think there was anything else you could have done in that tight spot. It goes to show not all Boneheads need boats!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #50
rickstr66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I cant say for sure about I/O, but on an outboard motor the props are always turning even at idle. Just FYI.
This is not true, at least on my outboard, a 1997 evinrude. When I put it in neutral, the prop stops moving, otherwise it would not be neutral and I would move either forward or backwards
rickstr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #51
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstr66 View Post
... on my outboard, a 1997 evinrude. When I put it in neutral, the prop stops moving, ...
I've had a couple of my own and helped a few others work on theirs. Test run on muffs, I have visually observed the props rotating on all of them. I have watched while somebody used a board to stop one to make sure it wasn't in gear (not my idea!) and it stopped. You can observe the same thing in many cars if you put the drive wheels in the air.

Not enough energy is transferred to move the boat but the momentum in the prop will likley cause a serious injury if it comes in contact with flesh.

I am glad if your motor design has that safety feature but if you have reached this conclusion just because your boat does not move in idle you might want to check it sometime. For safety sake, it is a good idea to always turn a motor -off- when people are near the stern.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
gtxrider

Default Capt. Boneheads in KAYAKS

The Capt. does not always use a power boat. Last week I was heading up Alton Bay approaching Echo Point as the Mount was appearing. Right smack in the middle of the the bay was a group of 6-7 kayaks. Good luck the MP was around and went out and advised the paddlers of the danger of playing chicken with the Mount. I just watched and laughed to myself. I guess that it is not just the GFBL boats that aim for kayakers.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #53
Airwaves

Quote:
Posted by APS
The prototype I'm modeling here has three disposable CDs attached to an old hat. However, just one CD in front is best, as it is really a powerful mirror used to reflect the sun.
Very clever and funny. Yep that should work very nicely. You know me there is alway a HOWEVER lurking just around the corner.

It could be misidentified as use of a daytime VDS. Mirrors are commonly used as daytime VDS so your prototype could end up getting you in trouble with the law.

If it is thought by boaters to be a VDS it might also have the reverse effect of actually attracting boats to you!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #54
jrc

I've seen boat motors on muffs and sometimes the prop will turn while in neutral. I don't think there is any force while that is happening, but I don't want to find out.

In this case there wasn't much I could do, he wasn't that close to the props or I would have shut down. Short of that I was just trying to do what I could to not escalate the situation. If I shut down my engines, things would have got messy in a real hurry. There was a good strong current in the channel this weekend.

Why don't I "just say no" to the channel. I really don't have to go to Paugus Bay, there is plenty of other lake out there.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #55
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I've seen boat motors on muffs and sometimes the prop will turn while in neutral. I don't think there is any force while that is happening, but I don't want to find out.

In this case there wasn't much I could do, he wasn't that close to the props or I would have shut down. Short of that I was just trying to do what I could to not escalate the situation. If I shut down my engines, things would have got messy in a real hurry. There was a good strong current in the channel this weekend.

Why don't I "just say no" to the channel. I really don't have to go to Paugus Bay, there is plenty of other lake out there.

I am pretty sure the prop spinning in neutral is only something you'd see on drives with shift dogs, such as you'd find on most outboards and all Mercruiser Alpha drives. The shift dogs spin on the driven shaft while the engine is running and get the oil moving. The moving oil hits the nearby shift dogs on the propeller shaft and imparts a little energy on them, making them spin the prop shaft slowly. The speed of the prop would likely be proportional to the viscosity of the gear oil and the speed of the engine. Hot and/or well-used gear oil will spin less than cold and/or brand new oil.

Motorcycle transmissions also use shift dogs and do exactly the same thing, if the rear wheel is off the ground. Since they use the engine oil in the transmission, the effect is dramatically reduced if the engine is hot.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #56
MJM

I've never heard of a prop that rotates while in Neutral. (I have lots of experience with outboards and I/O, none with inboards.)

Maybe moving just due to the vibration of the motor, but not engaged in a gear, or having any force behind it that could cause harm.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #57
Audiofn

On the topic of the prop. spinning. The prop will spin a little bit on the trailer but there is a enough resistance that the water will stop it from spinning. Some times it will spin but very slowly.

Now if you are ever on a boat and some one falls in the water in front of you and you do not have enough time to manuver what you need to do it stop the motor and put it in reverse. If you leave it in forward or nutral the forward momentum of the boat will keep the prop spinning even with the motor off. If you put it in reverse the cogs in the lower unit will stop the prop from spinning. If you have a transmision all you can do is turn off the motor.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #58
ApS

Default Powerboat Excluder Device, Beta Edition...

Quote:
"...It [Powerboat Excluder Device, or P.E.D.] could be misidentified as use of a daytime VDS. Mirrors are commonly used as daytime VDS so your prototype could end up getting you in trouble with the law..." If it is thought by boaters to be a VDS it might also have the reverse effect of actually attracting boats to you!
It's no longer a prototype: I wear it (and use it) every sunny day on the water. As I mentioned earlier, with the recent advent of "running the plotter", I seem to have a sign on my sail that reads, "Free Beer".

When I did try to summon the MP on a routine matter/violation, it got ignored. (So I'm not too worried).

Aug 25th...Edited to add:
On a routine matter, I succeeded in summoning an MP last week with the signal-mirror/CD. It was a very pleasant younger officer in boat 67, IIRC. (Single outboard MP boat that seems to be in the area most often.) He caught my brief signal right away, and commented favorably on the device.

Sept 8th...Edited to add:
On a second routine matter, I succeeded in summoning an MP last week with the CD/signal-mirror. It was an officer in his 30's in boat MP9. (One of at least two inboards, MP7 being another.) Again, this officer caught my brief signal right away, and commented favorably on the device.

Quote:
"...Very clever and funny. Yep that should work very nicely..."
Aiming it takes some practice, but its effect is astonishing and gratifying. One PED should be in the possession of every Winnipesaukee sailor and sea-kayaker. The CD is subject to casual breakage and doesn't float, so I carry a spare PED in my PFD pocket. One is pop-riveted to each underside of pop-out inspection ports—just in case.

As to riding the bow or stern, here's a "regular" in my neighborhood, who shuttles kids between two families every weekend, if not every day.

(Boston Whaler with kids' legs dangling overboard at the bow...Fibers added by www.Snapfish.com. Horizon-alignment, sharpness and underexposure by APS...)
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 09-10-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Add MP-67 reference in red
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote