Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
AltonGuy

Default Where to Launch?

Hi Guys. This may be something already posted in the past so forgive the redundancy if thats the case! I haven't boated in a couple of years and I just got my Boat squared away and ready to go. I have gone boating a few times in the previous state I lived in but certainly I am no expert. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a launching ramp/site that is less crowded or perhaps gathers a more patient crowd? I foresee myself being very rusty and would love to find an area which would be less stressful! I am looking to access Lake Winni and I live in Alton. Therefore a place in that vicinity would be great. Although I would be willing to travel for the right location Thanks in advance
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Why not in Alton

I don't see the Alton ramp all that busy, especially if you're off-time. If you want to pay then go "across the street" to Downings private ramp. Head towards Gilford and there's Ames Farm. Search the forum and you'll find other possibilities and more advice but my best advice is to avoid the busy times ... like during a fishing tournament !
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Uncle Fun

Default Launching

Ames Farm is great because there is plenty of place to maneuver and back up and the parking is plentiful... If you want quiet and tranquility, try West Alton Marina or Minge Cove Marine... Those places are super quiet and rarely crowded... Any one of these should give you the peace of mind of launching without a big circus crowd watching or hassling you... GOOD LUCK!!! P.S. Remeber to put your drain plug in first!!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Captain Zipper

Uncle Fun, I was going to mention the drain plug and than I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it. Great minds think alike!

Alton Guy just remember to get your boat prepped before you back down, i.e. block the ramp.

And if you screw up?????? Well, hopefully some one will see you and will post it on the forum for the rest of us to enjoy. Hopefully with pictures.

We all have our "learning curves" in each thing we do.

Have fun.

CZ
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #5
pmj

Hi Alton Guy,
I live in Alton and we use Downings, only because it is less steep than the public ramp across the way and we have a 5 speed transmission in the truck so less steep is good. There is also less people around to oogle...we are also newbies at trailering. The fee is minimal.

CZ, forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "block the ramp'?
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
DRH

Default Not Minge Cove Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Fun
If you want quiet and tranquility, try West Alton Marina or Minge Cove Marine... Those places are super quiet and rarely crowded.
Minge Cove Marina is not a public ramp ... it's privately owned and available only to its members.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Took me a minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
Hi Alton Guy,

CZ, forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by "block the ramp'?
pmj, it took me a minute to figure out how blocks were used at the launch ramp... then I went, "Duhhhh" I need my morning coffee!

I think CZ meant taking up the space others would be using. No one else can use the ramp if you are obstructing (blocking) it. Rather than any meaning about using blocks on the ramp

AltonGuy, don't be timid about asking for help around the launch ramp if you are rusty or unsure.

Have fun and boat safely.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Captain Zipper

Your interpretation of what I wrote is correct, thank you for jumping in Skipper.

But I will throw out one additional tid bit about "actually" blocking your tires. On steep, wet ( or slimy) ramps, when I go to load, I will put a plastic tire wedge behind the rear truck axle after I back down the ramp to put the boat on the trailer. I find it puts less strain on the transmission (even though I also have the parking brake set).

Back down, jump out, place wedge, hustle onto dock, put boat on, drive up ramp. True "art in motion", if I must say so myself. LOL

(This technique can be used for off loading the boat also. But obviously if you have two people for the loading/unloading process with one staying in the driver's seat than the wedge isn't really needed.)

The tire wedge has a hole in the center of it that a put a heavy string (or very thin line) thru. The string is about 5' long and is hooked (with a carabiner that I have tied to the other end of the string) to one of the safety chain eyelets on the trailer hitch.

The reason for the string is that the wedge then obligingly "follows me" along to the "packing up" area of the launch. Walmart sells the tire wedges.

My little system comes in handy more so along the coastal shoreline where one has to deal with tides.

I came up with the idea after seeing more than one vehicle slide down into the water while the boat was being loaded.

Are some of you starting to think I have too much time on my hands? (I have had people tell me that.)

If in the next year I see my idea being sold as a "kit" in the back of a boating magazine and the guy that did it making enough money to buy "Mr. Bahre's" palatial estate 5 times over, I'm really going to be irked.

CZ

Sorry for the loooonnnnnggggg post.
Captain Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
sa meredith

Default Meredith Ramp...

Hi AltonGuy...you stated something about being a bit rusty at launching the boat (or something to that effect). Search this forum for a thread about a begginer lauching his boat at the Meredith ramp. Nothing you come up against will measure up to what this guy went thru.
Good luck to you, and if you are not familiar with the lake, BRING A CHART.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
pmj

Thanks for the blocking explanation. That makes sense to me now..as I too am saying DUHHHHHHH

Quote:
CZ said:I came up with the idea after seeing more than one vehicle slide down into the water while the boat was being loaded.
That was probably mine..shoot, no one was supposed to see that.
What a great idea, thanks!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
MJM

If your boat isn't too tall to fit under the bridge, launching into Back bay in Wolfeboro (next to the old RR Station) is good for a beginner. Lots of maneuvering room, rarely any spectators, wide ramp, etc.

Do lots of backing-up practicing in your driveway, then take a deep breath and go for it! Just remember, everyone was new and/or rusty at some point.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Good advice here.Everybody was a beginer once without exception so don't get flustered.If you see someone that looks like they are not happy with your inexperience,let them know your just learning and need help.This will almost always change the attitude from foe to helper.Also mentioned here is blocking the ramp.This is a no no.Nothing gets me irked more than not being ready to launch before you approach the ramp.The ramp is there for one thing only,the get the boat on and off the trailer.All the other things(removing tie-downs,loading wanted items into the boat and the like)should be done before backing down or blocking the entrance to the ramp.I also always start my motor before launching.As soon as I hit the water it starts in 1 second.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
wildwoodfam

Thumbs up Someone already said it - but bears repeating...

IF oyu find you are having trouble - or are just unsure - ASK FOR HELP! Nothing worse than watching someone try and try and tray to launch to no avail. It eventually ends up entertaining those who have gathered - and frustrating those who are waiting to launch.

Nothing wrong with asking someone who is there. I have often offered to back the boat in for families on Long Island because they clearly are puzzled or frustrated themselves.

Good luck and ENJOY! Only thing better than owning a boat - is actually being out on the lake with it!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote