Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Stinger

Default Cove Closed in Wolfeboro

Was buzzing around the lake today and coming around Worcester Island heading south from Wolfeboro I spotted two new orange markers (like the ones they put near the town docks to mark 150') in the middle of the cove where people frequently anchor, just south of Springfield Point in Wolfeboro. In between the markers were three MP Boats rafted together. This cove is adjacent to where a new mansion was built just a couple years ago with a huge boat house (I just happened to stumble upon this rental listing for it yesterday).

http://www.yankeepedlarrealtors.com/...2F0%2F10%2F%3F

So being curious, I slowly approached the MP boats to ask about the new markers, an MP Officer, a State Trooper and an ununiformed gentleman all turned my way as if to warn me off. I stopped, shut down the engine and asked what the new markers were for, the MP Officer responded that they were temporary and that the cove was closed-off for 2 weeks. He was fine, friendly, no problem. So having just read the internet listing about the property for rent at $30000 a week, I couldn't help but ask "Who rented the house?" The plain clothes gentleman responded "There are four heads of state staying here beginning today for 2 weeks (now I figured out he was probably a secret service agent). Again, no problem, he was very friendly too, I said thanks and headed off.

So, I thought that was pretty interesting, I have no idea who will be staying there, and I wasn't going to bother to ask, but maybe we'll see something about their visit in the news. In the mean time, I'll have to pick another spot to drop anchor and have lunch.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
dmjr

Could it be that the French President is staying there.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Kamper

Here's something in the "Union Leader."

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...5-88baafbdce64

France's president to stay at Lake Winnipesaukee estate
By ROGER AMSDEN
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

WOLFEBORO – French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who will be spending at least two weeks vacationing here, will be staying at a 23,000-square-foot lakeside manor on 62 acres at Springfield Point, just over the Alton-Wolfeboro town line off from Route 28. ...

This is a cut 'n paste of what I put in the "Choppers" thread.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Bizer

If you were listening to National Public Radio this afternoon around 4:15, they did a five minute piece on the French president staying in the same place as a recent AMEX commercial. They then played the Ellen Degeneres clip from that commercial.

They then discussed how the French President was staying in Wolfeboro and what he and his wife might be doing by staying in a foreign country for a vacation.

All of a sudden, our little lake makes national news.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
dmjr

Just found this:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...039/-1/CITIZEN
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Just plain wrong

Isn't the lake public property? Why should a 30K weekly rental come with a private cove? Sounds like President Frenchy owes the community a serious contribution. Just another reason to hope that Mitt doesn't get beyond the first primary.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
wildwoodfam

Default I am no where near a fan of France...BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Isn't the lake public property? Why should a 30K weekly rental come with a private cove? Sounds like President Frenchy owes the community a serious contribution. Just another reason to hope that Mitt doesn't get beyond the first primary.
A couple things - the lake is public property - just like the roads are - ever been on I95 or Route 1 when Bush comes up to Kennebunkport?!!

Ever been out on the OCEAN near the point? Think closing a cove on Winni is tough - try closing a one mile radius in the ocean!

Look, he's the president of a rather significant country - I think its safe to assume - he can close off a cove!!

And as far as a contribution goes - I am quite certain the prez will be dropping some money here and there while in NH! Now about Mitt - I have a slew of reasons why Mitt better not get beyond the primary!! The least of which is his house in Wolfeboro!!

Viv la France!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
So, I thought that was pretty interesting, I have no idea who will be staying there, and I wasn't going to bother to ask, but maybe we'll see something about their visit in the news. In the mean time, I'll have to pick another spot to drop anchor and have lunch.

If you browsed this website's Forum yesterday, you would know the answer to your query.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4972

The answers are usually here, one needs to only take some time to read the various posts.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Resident 2B

Default The Big picture

Although I am no big fan of France for several good reasons, I think that having their President vacation here is good for the area in general. Anything that tells the world how beautiful this area is is good for the future of the tourist business and can have a positive effect on property values through increased demand.

Unfortunately, for security reasons in today's twisted world, we have to provide a buff, hence the cove is restricted. Hopefully. he and his family will have a great time and tell the world how nice our lake really is. If we are good hosts to the PR and press people he will attract, that is another big plus.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
Stinger

Well that sure explains it, thanks for the info. Secret Service Agent must've said "Foreign Head of State" instead of 4 heads of state that I thought I heard. Been wondering all along who built that beautiful house, you guys cleared that question up too with the citizen article link. Hope Mr. Sarkozy enjoys his stay. Will be sure to let my french co-workers know what an inconvenience they've caused me
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer
If you were listening to National Public Radio this afternoon around 4:15, they did a five minute piece on the French president staying in the same place as a recent AMEX commercial. They then played the Ellen Degeneres clip from that commercial.
Boy, will we be in trouble if his suit bursts into flames.