Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
NH_boater

Default Bad day at Meredith launch

Interesting day at Meredith launch, for sure.

• Newbie arrived at Meredith launch
• Parked in front of the ramp and walked around, in an out of their truck for ~ 5 min, confused about what to do next. We instructed him what to do. He told me this is his second time doing this.
• I knew this was going to take a while when he pulled into the ramp turn-around space too far left, with no room bring it around.
• Up over the very high curb with front and back tires, multiple times, scraping sigh against mirror, the drivers door, then positioned front tire against ramp sign, now spinning the rear tires multiple times (wondering why he is not backing up). He almost blocked himself in, irreversibly between the steel sigh post and the stone borders of the ramp. This took 10 minutes or more.
• Finally moved over enough to clear the sign with the tire, but proceeded to rip the bumper cover off the bumper of his late model Explorer.
• Backed down ramp with boat cover still on and ropes holding down the transom.
• I asked the ramp attendant (MPD) if they were putting in like that (fully covered with a mooring cover, no lines attached, still secured to trailer with bow strap and transom ropes). She then ran over to them to have them to un-strap the boat from the trailer. They do.
• They now uncover the boat (bow and cabin) for 5-10 minutes. Unsnapping, removing and folding the covers while 3 other eager boaters waited in line. Took at least 5 minutes to get the bow strap off. Amazing.
• With no safety chain on, is backing down, suddenly stopping, re-backing down the ramp. Very lucky the boat did not slide off, drop on the dry ramp and block the ramp for hours.
• Trying to push the boat, by hand, off a trail that is not far enough into the water, for 4 or 5 minutes before figuring out the problem. Many people trying to help him at this point. He did not seem to interested in help or guidance.
• Ready to push the boat out into Meredith bay with person in passenger seat, no lines attached. We yelled for him to attach a line to prevent the boat just floating off with his very upset passenger. They then attach a line. Push off boat.
• Next, with truck/trailer still on ramp and boat blocking dock, they start to unload the truck (cooler, PFD’s, towels, skies, BEER etc.). No hurry, by the way.
• Now, amazingly, the guy gets in the boat and starts it up to drive away into the lake to go boating. Another guy asked him about his truck and trailer still on the ramp. “Oh yeh, I guess I have to move that.”
• Parks truck and trailer and returns. Now is revving the stern drive very high while wondering why it is not moving at all. Another guy told him that trimming the drive down a bit, bring the prop actually into the water will help immensely.

The loading of his boat came hours later (and was equally interesting) that I happened to time perfectly on my return as well, but that is another story for a different day. This poor guy was very confused and new to this, so deserves a break for sure. However, he had no interest in hurrying along and had little consideration for others. Most I felt very bad as this was probably giving them a very bad taste of what boating can be.

I am not a snob and I am very patient with new boaters. I often approach to help whenever I can. This guy had plenty of help but was very lost. I am not sure if he had a “map” or knew what those “red and black sticks” mean but it did not look promising. At least he made it back.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater
At least he made it back.
Yeah, this time.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Wow,NH.....that was a great story.I've seen quite a few myself,but I can't top your story.Too bad the guy wouldn't pay more attention to the advice that was available.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
jceria

Default Maybe There's Something in the Water in Merideth?

While at the town docks in Merideth back in the Spring. There was a guy unloading a mega bass boat, $40,000 flavor. This thing was awesome, 225 hp V-Max, tandem trailer, etc...
We hung at the dock for a few, then proceded to walk to the Mill Falls for lunch. There was the bassboat fishing right at the falls dumping into the lake, he was about 100' feet away from the ramp!
We had a quick lunch, walked back to the docks and there's the bass boat loading back up!
Why bother? I litterally could have casted a line further than he was at fishing. Maybe it was a new toy and he really wanted to fish in it. But to launch the boat, drive 100', take a few casts and then load back up!?
I don't get it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
lake4life

Awesome/Agonizing story! I'm surprised that the attendant didn't do anything. I know that being inconsiderate isn't always against the law, but if someone needs to be told to get help or get out of the way, the authority-at-hand should keep it real.

Does anyone remember (I think this happened in the early/mid 1990s) this dude launched his 30-something foot high performance boat at the Meredith town docks? Apparently he thought the owner's manual was overrated and tried to start it without engaging the blowers or venting the engine compartment in any manner. He proceeded to blow his factory-new boat to kingdom come. I recall seeing the aftermath at the Meredith Marina.. burned clean to the waterline.
lake4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
Sman

Default original post

responding to the original post, I have seen a lot in 40 yrs at the lake but that is uglier than any story I could tell. Do you think he cut anyone off or disobeyed the 150ft rule that day at all??

I am suprised someone didn't try and talk him into reconsidering what he was doing until he became more qualified
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
JayDV

Default I've had that luck too ... BUT

I too, have had everything fall exactly right 2 or 3 times. You prep before you get to the ramp, pull around, the assistant in the boat with the line, the key and just a quick back down and faster stop so it slides in nicely. Pull the car/trailer away while the other is trimming the prop and starting the engine to pull back to dock to wait for me.

The BUT is because one of those great launches, not all the buttons were in the right position. I did forget to plug back in BOTH the transom drain plug and the inside well plug. OOOH all those soaking wet bags of groceries and clothes for the 2 week vacation on the island. Fortunaltely I did arrive from the parking lot quickly, discovered my booboo, plugged them and headed out to get to area to allow the speed drain to work. Talk about almost blocking the ramp!
JayDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Mensa candidate at Cape Cod

A few years ago I was at the Sandwich Marina on the Cape Cod Canal. Due to tides ramp is steep for a reason. I'm prepping on the sidelines (remove tie downs, gear into boat etc.) as he starts to back his 25 +- foot Grady to the water. I told him he really shouldn't remove the safety chain until he is at the water. He tells me to mind my own f-n business, that he's been boating 30 years blah-blah-blah. Nooooooo problem. Einstein backs to the crest of the ramp, wheels go on to the slope of the ramp, boats launches by itself just b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l-l-y on to the ashpalt. 25 feet or so from the water. Took 8 marina guys to shoulder it down the ramp under the bow. Nice white chalk line on the pavement where parts of his hull were, right into the water. Who says there is no God?
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Ropetow

Maybe there is a cottage industry awaiting some of us when we can retire to Heaven....I mean the Big Lake. Launch advisors. For a nominal fee we can instruct newbies or, for a slightly less nominal fee, do the job for them. Now I've botched a few launchings in my day as well, and know that it is not always easy. But could this be a way to make retirement more lucrative and perform a public service as well? Our slogan could be 'we launch while you lunch' ...wonder if Launches-R-Us has been trademarked?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #10
SAMIAM

I love it ,Ropetow.Sign me up.I don't have a resume' at the moment ,but if you check my post of 8/3 on the "one or the other" thread, you will see that I would be a good employee for your new launching company.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
robmac

I loved the story Samiam,reminds me of the group of guys loading into the Merrimack river in Nashua a couple of years ago. They at least removed the canvas but failed to unlash the boat from thrailer.Well to make a long story short,boat trailer and toyota camry got pulled out by the current.Nasua dive and rescue team along with a couple of tow trucks were needed to recover the mess.It was funny to watch but embarassing for those involved.I too would apply for a launch instructors position
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
I loved the story Samiam,reminds me of the group of guys loading into the Merrimack river in Nashua a couple of years ago. They at least removed the canvas but failed to unlash the boat from thrailer.Well to make a long story short,boat trailer and toyota camry got pulled out by the current.Nasua dive and rescue team along with a couple of tow trucks were needed to recover the mess.It was funny to watch but embarassing for those involved.I too would apply for a launch instructors position
Yup,same thing happened in Great Bay/Piscataqua River.They found the whole setup 1 mile away!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
SAMIAM

Siksukr,I know I probably need counseling.....but I have always told my wife that being uncool while launching or docking is the worse than death.I made afool out of myself ....like 30 years ago and vowed never to do it again.I don't mind looking stupid anywhere else....it's just a boating thing.
She has thrown a springline while I docked into a 40mph starboard wind....She can drive my truck...or handle the lines as drop the boat.Practice is the key....I encourage anyone who is a little unsure just to practice at their dock under all conditions until they get it right.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
Rattlesnake Guy

Default We were lucky

Looking back when we bought our boat, an absolutely fabulous thing happened. Now I realize it was not an accident. We had only rented previously and the entire ramp thing was an unknown territory. We purchased the boat at Winnisquam marina and when we took delivery of it the salesman took the time to show us how to correctly trailer the boat and showed us how to launch it. He showed us how to safely get the boat off and then back on the trailer. He then had us do it ourselves under his expert supervision.

I did not realize how valuable this lesson was until I saw the newbies that struggle with the process.

We started off much further down the learning curve. Nothing beats experience.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote