Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
sgold44

Cool Gas Prices affecting Boat usage??

Just thinking...........-average 20-24ft boat cost: $25000.00
-Average Insurance cost:$300/year
-Average slip rental: $1500.00
-Average annual maintenance cost: $500
-Average winter storage fee: $700

price of 60 GALLONS OF GAS@ $3.50/gallon( enough to cruise & enjoy watersports all weekend)- $210.00
Price 2 years ago @$2.00/Gallon = $120.00

Is that extra $100 really going to stop someone who can afford all the other expenses that go with owning a boat from enjoying it on the few sunny weekends we get here in New England?

At the risk of making some people angry, I say that if you can't afford the gas, you shouldn't own the boat. If you own the boat, buy the gas & enjoy the lake!!

I
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
HomeWood

It doesn't seem to be affecting boat usage down here in NC. At $2.90-3.00 a gallon (not lake gas) there are still plenty of people using boats, myself included. I can see $3.50 having more of an impact, but boats are a huge pleasure hobby for a lot of people and they will use them regardless. Like you said, to buy a boat for $25000 and then keep it docked because of the gas prices is silly. I would just watch any extra idling and speed.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
sgold44

Cool

I agree wholeheartedly. My post is "Tongue in Cheek". Everyone seems to attribute the lack of boaters on the lake to the gas prices. I don't agree. I'm not sure of the reason, but on any given day at Parker Marine in Alton Bay, there are less than 20% of the boats away from the slips. I don't get it.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
TomC

Default new 20-24 footers...

...can run up to $50K in price depending on make and equipment, so that makes the extra $100 in weekend gas use even more silly as an agrument for fewer boats..

BUT..

some of the boats out there are day boaters. That means 50, 100, 250 mile or more round trip towing events with a truck or SUV getting 15 mpg if you're lucky. Then comes gas for the boat, throw in a room rental and a meal or two and it gets into a $500 weekend, easily. Budgets are squeezed by the current energy prices (electric, oil, and natural gas are up too). I can see a family budget being challenged to the point where the aforementioned $500 boating junket does not get funded...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
jrc

In the last two years gas has gone up around 50%, your average family income didn't, so somthing has to give. Some people may just stay home.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Paugus Bay Resident

I agree. Fuel is the least expensive component (typically) of owning a boat. With the summer season so short, I won't be changing anything. Weather has a far bigger impact, on me anyway.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
coronado

Default more than just gas

I don't post much, but this has been the subject of conversation at my work and I thought I would pass on some thoughts. It isn't just the price of the gas. It is everything combined with ownership (slip, maint, ins, reg, etc) But, more than that, common folk are paying more for just about everything in life (gas, food , real estate taxes, health insurance, etc. ) I work for a medium size city in Mass. In the past couple years, health insurance costs have jumped big time, with 23% and 17% increases. My real estate taxes have jumped also. In my town , if your kids want to play sports in school, it now costs as much as a grand. So, i believe that the slower economy, the lack of funding for cities and towns, schools, has now caught up and your seeing the effects.....
coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
HomeWood

Ah, I should have thought of the day trippers. I could see gas prices holding them back depending on the distance they need to travel if it came down to a day of boating or a week of grocerys. Our families "big boat" has been in storage now for two years in Moultonborough. The dock never even went in the water last year, but maybe this year the dock and boat will go in. It's not because of gas prices, it's just taking the time for my family to get up there and do it, since my Gma can't do it herself. I'd love to tow my boat up there from here, but that dang required safety certificate is in the way. No such thing required here
Old 06-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
Gavia immer

The trend has been downward for at least four years. We're basing a new season's downtrending on one weekend's turnout?
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Lakegeezer

Default More paddles?

Just one example, but the gas prices are affecting my boat usage. Its still running on the first tank of gas has been in the water since early May. The kayaking are sure getting a lot more use. Instead of burning a gallon or two for a sunset cruise, we paddle out to see the sun set. If others are doing the same thing, much of the traffic on the lake will be undetected. Sort of nice, and hopefully the local economy can be sustained in additional ways to selling big boats and lots of gas.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
The kayaking are sure getting a lot more use. Instead of burning a gallon or two for a sunset cruise, we paddle out to see the sun set.
Ya sure, rub it in why don't ya.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #12
ApS

Question Off the Web...

Quote:
"...MarineMax [publicly-traded boat sales company] seems to be shaking off the worst of it. The $1.2 billion corporation has more than 2,200 employees at 88 retail locations selling everything from $20,000 starter boats to multi million dollar yachts..." www.discoverboating.com
A "starter-boat" at $20,000?

I'm seeing NH-registered large boats with a "B?" suffix following the registration number—mostly. (Example: NH 1234 BK). It follows that the higher the letter, the newer the boat. (My boats all have registrations in the "A"s, and have never owned a "B" boat).

New boats are purchased on credit, right? Wouldn't a credit card with adjustable rate mortgages (ARM), or an equity loan adjustable rate mortgages (ARM), tend to "rate-creep"?

Could ARMs—and gas prices—both be leveraging against vacations?

(We won't mention all those Massachusetts houses with ARMs).
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
kjbathe

Default It can't be the gas...

I agree with the original post -- gas is a drop in the tank compared to the overall cost of boat ownership. I think we're very fortunate that the price of gas isn't a factor in our boat usage. But when you add up all the rising costs, it does end up being a real choice for some people: Another six pack or another gallon a gas for the boat? Another hot fudge sundae or another gallon of gas in the boat?

While the reasons for the perceived downturn in boat traffic may be many and unclear, one thing is certain: I'll never complain about having less traffic on the water.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #14
chmeeee

I think that a lot of people are also reducing the amount of actual driving the boat they do even if they're not reducing days on the lake. Personally, I am more likely to find a nice cove and anchor for the day rather than cruise all day, since its much cheaper and I'm still enjoying my boat.

One thing though, am I just going to the wrong places? If I could find a slip for $1500, I would be a happy man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgold44
Just thinking...........-average 20-24ft boat cost: $25000.00
-Average Insurance cost:$300/year
-Average slip rental: $1500.00
-Average annual maintenance cost: $500
-Average winter storage fee: $700

price of 60 GALLONS OF GAS@ $3.50/gallon( enough to cruise & enjoy watersports all weekend)- $210.00
Price 2 years ago @$2.00/Gallon = $120.00
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default ...sob, sob, sob,...tears of sympathy for gas guzzlers!

Let's see.....for three hundred bucks, two years ago I bought from Fay's Boat Yard a used, 20 year old, 11' 11" Echo sailboat.

Cost for yearly registration - zero

Cost to insure - covered by homeowner's since it has no motor

Cost of fuel - the wind

Skill needed to operate - practice, practice...

.................................................. ....

If anyone is looking for a new summertime challenge, Craigslist Boston has an Echo for $400., with photos, in Winthrop, Ma. Google 'Echo sailboat', and it should be the first item.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-27-2007 at 10:50 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #16
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Island property owners

I use my boat to commute to the Island and gas prices will not stop me from that. But I haven't taken the typical boat rides to Wolfboro or Center Harbour for ice cream this season yet. We are doing more canoeing and running the jet ski. I am even painting the bottom of the sailboat to use this year. It stayed high and dry last summer.

I think its in the back of my mind, is it worth $50 bucks to get a ice cream or take a spin around Long Island?
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Kamper

Here's something I just found on the links list. I'm posting it in case it's new to anyone else.

http://www.boatnh.com/gasprices/
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
sgold44

Default Slip prices

Parker Marine in Alton Bay- 24 ft boat- $1534.00 (must be able to clear bridge)
Old 06-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #19
offmycloud

Default Homewood hit on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
Ah, I should have thought of the day trippers. I could see gas prices holding them back depending on the distance they need to travel if it came down to a day of boating or a week of grocerys. Our families "big boat" has been in storage now for two years in Moultonborough. The dock never even went in the water last year, but maybe this year the dock and boat will go in. It's not because of gas prices, it's just taking the time for my family to get up there and do it, since my Gma can't do it herself. I'd love to tow my boat up there from here, but that dang required safety certificate is in the way. No such thing required here
I bet that's a lot of it - that dang SAFETY CERTIFICATE! It's a freakin pain to get and I bet a lot of people didn't bother getting it, or forgot to do it or kept putting it off like I did. If you didn't get it on line prior to 12/31/06 you now have to take a course! The online thing was painful enough. And it's clear, you definitely don't want to get caught without one. Nice going state of NH, decimate the local economy to bring in a little more state revenue!
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #20
kjbathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud
Nice going state of NH, decimate the local economy to bring in a little more state revenue!
Whoa, that's a big leap there! I'm not aware of any signs that the local economy is suffering (e.g. MC weekend was declared another success) because of a multi-year phase in of the boating safety certificate requirement. But, if a once-in-a-lifetime need to sit in class for 8 hours for a tune up on safe boating practice is too much to ask, then I'm happy to not have those folks on the water. But that does raise a good point -- are gas prices keeping traffic down or is the lack of certified operators and renters playing into the mix?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
sa meredith

Default Economy over all...

I'm getting in the conversation a bit late here....but my thoughts are these...
The drop off in boat traffic is part of a much bigger picture. There are now just so many people who made huge money for a long time...and we all tend to spend as quick as we make. And now, things are very different. People whose income 100/150/200K are seeing things change very rapidly. However, the payments they have committed to over the years are not changing. The $2000 mortgage, the $500 boat payment, the $1000 payment on the vaca house, the $400 car payment...and on and on it goes. People in Real Estate, Auto Sales, Ins. sales, Investment Banking...all having to "tighten the belt a notch or two". And at some point something has to give. The recreation buget is just not there right now. And the gas price is just a small part of a HUGE problem...a bit of salt in an open wound. Although the boat might be in a slip, ready to go, (and might even be paid for), the thought of a trip to the lake for a day or two, with all the expenses that go with it (gas, food, lodging,and the way kids just seem to spend money on small stuff) is just out of the question right now. So instead of 10 or 11 weekends during the summer, it is 4 or 5.
I guess the overall point is that the drop off in boat traffic is a trickle down effect of the state of the economy. Gas prices are a small part of it.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #22
jetskier

Question A thought

All of this is predicated upon the thought that usage is off, however, folks are still keeping their boat. I think that some of the point use, such as going for ice cream is likely tied directly to gas prices. But, if I were going to think about saving money, I would sell the boat. That being said, are there more used boats on the market this year?

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #23
offmycloud

I personally like less boats on the water and more qualified operators, too. However, less boats means less people spending money in the region and that absolutely takes it toll on the economy and jobs for local people. If motorcycle weekend is making up for it, awesome.

I am betting this boating downturn has a lot to do with that dang certificate and I think the program has been phasing in over the last four years which would jibe with the trend observed.

Does anyone have any safety stats over the past ten years? Sort of pre and post boating certificate? That would confirm this. If accidents have dropped significantly that means less yahoos are on the lake now.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #24
sa meredith

Default Safety Cert.

The Boat Safety Certificate was actually very easy to get until recently. Before January '07, you could simply go on line and take the course. Although it was time consuming (took me 2.5/3 hours) you could open the test in one window, and the course in another window. And then just go back and forth finding the answers. However, I believe I read somewhere they have done away with this. The course must now be taken "in person" and the test taken in the presence of a moderator.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #25
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
All of this is predicated upon the thought that usage is off, however, folks are still keeping their boat. I think that some of the point use, such as going for ice cream is likely tied directly to gas prices. But, if I were going to think about saving money, I would sell the boat. That being said, are there more used boats on the market this year?

Jetskier

according to several sales people at marinas used sales have actuallly been pretty good although I don't think new are that hot, guess I should have put mine on this spring instead of waiting till after the season.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
ossipeeboater

Quote:
I personally like less boats on the water and more qualified operators, too. However, less boats means less people spending money in the region and that absolutely takes it toll on the economy and jobs for local people. If motorcycle weekend is making up for it, awesome.

I am betting this boating downturn has a lot to do with that dang certificate and I think the program has been phasing in over the last four years which would jibe with the trend observed.

Does anyone have any safety stats over the past ten years? Sort of pre and post boating certificate? That would confirm this. If accidents have dropped significantly that means less yahoos are on the lake now.
there has never been a significant amount of accidents which is what made the cert and the speed limit a silly fight.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
jrc

You can still take the COURSE online, but you must take the TEST in person.

See here http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/index.htm

I heard a few people complain about the general certification requirement and I'm sure it has had a small effect. The biggest annoyance is the confusing reciprocity. If you have a certification from another state or organization, are you covered? The answer is alway "it depends" and it's not always easy for potential visitors to find out. I had one person, on another forum tell me he was going to Lake George because he wasn't sure he was covered here.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #28
offmycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
there has never been a significant amount of accidents which is what made the cert and the speed limit a silly fight.
So basically no benefit other than the state shakes us down for more money. I'm sure people who trailer it just go to other lakes instead now as other posters have pointed out.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #29
HomeWood

I am looking into coming home this summer for vacation with my wife and we'd like to make the lake house a destination. The big boat is in storage and the little boat is probably not even registered. So, I'd like to tow my boat up. Just because it would be a huge pain in the rear for me to try and schedule a time to take the test doesn't mean that I shouldn't be on the water. My deep V Tracker boat goes 30mph wide open and I like to cruise at like 20 and I am probably TOO safe of an operator. I learned all my boating skills on Winnipesaukee growing up. I would spend the extra fuel to tow it up for just a week, because I want to boat there that bad. But thanks to a bunch of dummies who failed to yield to a sailboat/canoe etc, blew threw a "no wake" area and committed whatever other violation, I can't just come up to boat in the Live free or Die state and contribute to the economy in my most favorite place in the world and future retirement destination.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #30
sa meredith

Default Putting it off...

Honestly...this is not meant to be "a slap" to anyone without a Safety Cert., but, really, until January of this year, it was just a matter of logging on to the site, and setting aside the 2 to 3 hours to complete the test. As long as you passed, and entered your credit card number, your certificate was printed out THE SECOND you passed. You had it instantly (it was good for 30 days, until the hard plastic version came in the mail). I think that anyone who does not have it, always thought, "yeah, I'll get to it, just not today". Honestly, I put it off, until the night before a day of boating in 2005 (the first time I was required to have it). I went on line at 9PM and had the cert. at midnight. It is now a much more difficult process.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #31
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossipeeboater
Is there some requirement to report every collision?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #32
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Is there some requirement to report every collision?
Any accident involving a death, personal injury or property damage over $2,000 in property damage must be reported.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #33
KBoater

Default Out of State

Homewood
If you are out of state you could take a qualified course from the Power Squadron or similar origination in your area. The certificate will be recognized in NH if it says that the course is approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. (NASBLA). This way you can be set to boat in NH and most other states.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #34
sgold44

Default Temporary Certificate

Check out this site for info on a 14 day temp. cert.
http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/s.../14dayrev.html
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #35
pirkaus

I took the test online and it was easy. Some people I work with waited and took the course and test, they said it was a piece of cake.

As far as the lack of boats goes I think it's the big economic picture not just gas prices.
pirkaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #36
Dave R

Quote:
So basically no benefit other than the state shakes us down for more money. I'm sure people who trailer it just go to other lakes instead now as other posters have pointed out.
I think there's a huge benefit. It was not just about reducing accidents, if that was the case they probably would not have bothered, it's about following the rules which makes things easier for everyone (as well as safer).

I find that many more boaters understand the concept of stand-on and give-way compared to just a few years ago. This has surely made my boating experience less stressful. Hopefully, the sections about bilge blowers and CO poisoning will prevent some deaths, injuries and property damage too.

There's a large percentage of folks who would never learn this stuff until they are forced to. If having to learn the rules keeps people from boating, that's awesome, from my perspective. I'd rather not share the lake with folks who can't be bothered to get certified.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #37
ApS

Default An Alarming Trend, if True...

Quote:
"...I bet that's a lot of it - that dang SAFETY CERTIFICATE...!"
That's likely a part of it.

When arriving home after sundown last night, I noticed that the residential shoreline here was very dark for this time of year: that's a lot of boats not on the water.

Save for this upcoming "July 4th" week, what we're witnessing through our front windows is starting to sound alarming. Two years ago we discussed the possibility of decreasing boating here on this forum, and found a very different opinion:

Quote:
"...I can think of no waterway that I have boated on in the last 40 years that has seen a decrease in boating population..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"...There's a large percentage of folks who would never learn this stuff until they are forced to. If having to learn the rules keeps people from boating, that's awesome, from my perspective. I'd rather not share the lake with folks who can't be bothered to get certified...."
That's a whole lot of people with Hobies, kayaks, sculls, canoes, sailboards, windsurfers, sailboats, rowboats, powered inflatables and small outboards!

I think you meant, all those boaters who failed the test....

No, wait....

Quote:
"...Nice going state of NH, decimate the local economy to bring in a little more state revenue...!
I heard yesterday that NH taxpayers are going to supply a lot "more state revenue". Seventeen percent more?
Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #38
jrc

The safety cert may be a small part but I doubt it's a big part. On the macro scale (the last forty years) boating has grown agressively, but on a shorter time scale (the last 5-10 years) boating growth has been slow to flat. If you dig through this site http://www.bts.gov You will see that the US and NH growth in boat registrations has been about 1% per year for the last few years. Maybe it's gas, maybe it's changing life styles, maybe it's the aging population, but it's bigger than our lake and it's bigger than NH.

I'm all for the safety cert and can't possibly see why applying the exisitng test or a sub-set of it to "Hobies, kayaks, sculls, canoes, sailboards, windsurfers, sailboats, rowboats, powered inflatables and small outboards" would be harmful.

I do think the state needs to make it easier to get the training by accepting courses for other states, the USPS and private training companies.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #39
Dave R

APS, you know what I meant. Motor boaters.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #40
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second

I heard yesterday that NH taxpayers are going to supply a lot "more state revenue". Seventeen percent more?

What do you mean by that APS?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #41
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
What do you mean by that APS?
Perhaps this article from the online Laconia Citizen will help:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...057/-1/citizen
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #42
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
APS, you know what I meant. Motor boaters.
Well, little boats tend to "get forgotten", is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
"...I'm all for the safety cert and can't possibly see why applying the existing test or a sub-set of it to "Hobies, kayaks, sculls, canoes, sailboards, windsurfers, sailboats, rowboats, powered inflatables and small outboards" would be harmful..."
1) If you started your boating career in one of those boats, you already understand the crying need for testing the operators of all larger boats. Most small boaters are already highly vigilant of weather conditions, as there's no racing-home option!

2) The absence of required decals, stickers, and hassles/expense of registration is an encouragement for such boating. Now that a sticker is required "For The Environment"—some, on a sunny summer day—will pick up an electronic game instead of "throwing the boat in the water" and risking a ticket.

The same applies to "educational" testing: another hassle-factor that contributes to boaters staying home.

3) The few boats out there—late in June—range from a few ski-boats up to many much-larger boats, so the price of gas isn't affecting everyone.

4) An aging population should mean more recreation time. Faced with the "educational requirement" for those aging boaters (who "already know all about boating" ), they'd recreate elsewhere to avoid the hassle of a ticket.

5) The downturn started 2004-2005, right in the middle of dialing-in the educational requirement—starting with the youngest boaters.

6) The unmistakable (and unsustainable) trend in boat size is ever-upwards: is it in self-defense? IMHO, large boats knock the fun out of smaller boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis
What do you mean by that APS? [tax increase]
All I have is hearsay: 11% for the budget, the rest for "fees"? I don't know—my source reads the Union Leader. Thanks for the saving link GWC.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #43
offmycloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
It's sad. Now NH like Massachusetts is seeking goverments' greatest goal - socialism, the form of government which is a dramatic failure everywhere it is tried. Licenses for everything, checkpoints, high fees and taxes, government control of everything - it's all going in that direction. Next up - re-education camps for those who protest.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #44
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

So true offmycloud. Very sad.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 PM   #45
kjbathe

Quote:
It's sad. Now NH like Massachusetts is seeking goverments' greatest goal - socialism, the form of government which is a dramatic failure everywhere it is tried.
The people had their opportunity to vote last year and put the Democrats in control of Concord for the first time in... 70+ years? How anyone can be shocked at the result of that decision and it's reward of new fees and higher taxes is beyond me. But class warfare, wealth envy and grand schemes to re-distribute said wealth is what we do best in this country today -- along with pointing fingers of blame at everyone else for what we did to ourselves.

Gas costs what it costs and our Constitution makes no guarantee that we should have cheap or affordable gas. We can blame "big oil" and their record profits and then try to tax the crap out of them for making money, but that's nuts. We can simply dismiss the stagnant growth in refining capacity over the past 30 years, the regulatory tangle of EPA and other federal hurdles that block additional capacity from being built and shrug off an increase in global demand for the same crude. We can ignore the fact that we've regulated ourselves into the need to refine more than 30 unique blends of regional fuels that result in supply disruptions as the change-overs take place. But the reality is we did this to ourselves and this is the free market at work. Folks don't like that answer, but I think we only need look as far as Iran this week: While sitting on top of some of the worlds richest petroleum reserves, the Iranians imposed gas rations this week in response to it's own lack of refining capacity and dependence on external sources for up to half of it's gasoline supply. When Iran doesn't have gas...

As power boaters, we're operating RECREATIONAL vehicles that consume somewhere between 1 and 4 gallons of gasoline or more per mile of travel. With those kind of numbers, boaters should be the LAST ones complaining about the price of gas. For me, $3.50 a gallon for 89 octane containing less than 10% ethanol, for a seasonal gas station, on the waterfront with it's additional marine environmental considerations -- It's still a pretty good deal.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

Wow! You nailed that one right on kjbathe!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #47
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
You will see that the US and NH growth in boat registrations has been about 1% per year for the last few years.
That's good?

Is the quality of government tracking good enough to account for a NET gain in boat registrations?

Several states require that all boats be registered. What happens when you lose your registered kayak to rapids, your wife backs over it, or it drifts off to Greenland?

While some may report the loss, it's more often the case that it gets forgotten.

Exports, totalled, stolen, parted-out, impounded, dumped, sunk, stored, recalled, lost-at-sea, and normal attrition among the general population of boats would account for some significant LOSS.

A new-but-unrequired boat registration would be recorded wrongly as a net gain among registrations. 1% is not a good sign.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #48
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Ayup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
{snip} -- along with pointing fingers of blame at everyone else for what we did to ourselves. {snip}

Yeah, what he said !!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #49
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavia immer
That's good?

I don't know.

I agree that measurement error could cause a 1% change. In NH, this number does not include paddle boats, so that's not a factor. So for the last few years there has not been a meaningful change in the total number of power boats.

By my observation, there are lot more PWC now than there were 5 or 10 years ago, and since the total boats hasn't changed much, there must be less power boats. I don't know if this is good or bad. It does make me question all the talk of overcrowding on the lake.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 AM   #50
ApS

Arrow Perception is Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
"...The safety cert may be a small part but I doubt it's a big part..."
I wonder. Here's one more piece of anecdotal evidence:

My tenant is waiting for the Saturday of his arrival at Lake Winnipesaukee to take the proctored examination!

Because of his busy schedule, he said he will just sail his sailboat if he misses the exam. (Or if his battery from last season won't hold a charge ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood
"...But thanks to a bunch of dummies who failed to yield to a sailboat/canoe etc, blew threw a "no wake" area and committed whatever other violation, I can't just come up to boat in the Live free or Die state and contribute to the economy in my most favorite place in the world and future retirement destination..."
I hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
"...By my observation, there are lot more PWC now than there were 5 or 10 years ago, and since the total boats hasn't changed much, there must be less power boats. I don't know if this is good or bad. It does make me question all the talk of overcrowding on the lake..."
The PWCs that are "boats", or the ones that aren't "boats"?

Most PWCs are very fast: a perception that "the lake is overcrowded" may be due to the exaggerated area of lake that only one PWC takes up. (While at top speed, which is how most are operated).

To put it another way, if PWCs were all anchored instead of running around helter-skelter, nobody would notice them.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #51
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
I'm getting in the conversation a bit late here....but my thoughts are these...
The drop off in boat traffic is part of a much bigger picture. There are now just so many people who made huge money for a long time...and we all tend to spend as quick as we make. And now, things are very different. People whose income 100/150/200K are seeing things change very rapidly. However, the payments they have committed to over the years are not changing. The $2000 mortgage, the $500 boat payment, the $1000 payment on the vaca house, the $400 car payment...and on and on it goes. People in Real Estate, Auto Sales, Ins. sales, Investment Banking...all having to "tighten the belt a notch or two". And at some point something has to give. The recreation buget is just not there right now. And the gas price is just a small part of a HUGE problem...a bit of salt in an open wound. Although the boat might be in a slip, ready to go, (and might even be paid for), the thought of a trip to the lake for a day or two, with all the expenses that go with it (gas, food, lodging,and the way kids just seem to spend money on small stuff) is just out of the question right now. So instead of 10 or 11 weekends during the summer, it is 4 or 5.
I guess the overall point is that the drop off in boat traffic is a trickle down effect of the state of the economy. Gas prices are a small part of it.

some good points made here but I don't think that's the whole picture. I think that SOME people spent their "bubble" money as soon as they made it and SOME invested wisely thus ensuring their financial stability for a long time. Another piece of the pie is that many of these bubble richies made their money at a relatively young age (mid 30-40) and had young children at the time. Well 7 years later all these young children are now in their teens and these families are now dealing with the logistics of their children's schedules wether they include sports or these teenagers getting jobs. The whole dot.com era brought in many people you wouldn't have normally seen buy at the lake..it gave more people the opportunity to invest large sums of money into real estate. I know of 3 families (mine included) in my "hometown" who also own up at the lake and our children are of similiar ages. We are all having a difficult time getting up to our places than in previous years simply because our children are older and schedules are tight. I know there has to be many more families out there like ours who are experiencing similar circumstances. That being said I'm crossing my fingers in the hopes we'll be able to get up for the 4th!!! Wish me luck.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #52
sa meredith

Default dotcom

Wow, the dotcom era. Haven't heard that term in awhile. Plenty of extra cash aroung in those days. Rememeber CMGi?
Anyway...good luck with getting up for the fourth. Too many people for me that week. I think two years back (maybe three), over an hour...AN HOUR...to get thru the channel at 11AM. No Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #53
jetskier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
Wow, the dotcom era. Haven't heard that term in awhile. Plenty of extra cash aroung in those days. Rememeber CMGi?
Anyway...good luck with getting up for the fourth. Too many people for me that week. I think two years back (maybe three), over an hour...AN HOUR...to get thru the channel at 11AM. No Thanks!
We went out today and the channel was very quiet (surprising). We had no issue finding a spot to dock at the NASWA so the kids could get some lunch.

It was quite windy today, but that still does not account for the lack of traffic.

Incidently, I was part of the telecom boom (we sold our company ahead of the implosion). One of my theories is that during that time putting your name on a stadium was the kiss of death.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #54
Weekend Pundit

Default Traffic is definitely down

At first I thought it was just me noticing that boat traffic on Winnipesaukee down last year. But talking to some of the folks I know at the Marine Patrol I found that they'd noticed it, too.

This year the drop (so far) is bigger than last year's. I don't know whether it's gas prices (as mentioned by some), the need to have the boating certificate (mentioned by others), an effect of some folks cutting back on expenses in general (also mentioned), or some combination of all three.

On our first weekend out on the lake three weekends ago on a warm Saturday afternoon, I expected the lake to be busy. But during the two hours we were out on the lake, we saw all of 15 boats and a couple of PWCs. With so little traffic even The Broads was calm. I've never seen that on a Saturday afternoon! (I must confess that most of our boating is done during the week as usually the lake is too rough due to the wake-driven chop. A weekend trip out on to the lake during the middle of the day is very rare for us. If we do venture out on a Saturday or Sunday, it's usually early in the morning or early evening when most of the regular weekenders are off the lake.)

It will be interesting to see if this is going to be a summer-long phenomenon or just a slow start to the season.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #55
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
Any accident involving a death, personal injury or property damage over $2,000 in property damage must be reported.
I hope the NH fine for failure to report an accident is higher than in Massachusetts. Just $250 for not reporting personal injury after hitting a kid on a tube, split between the two offenders.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ty/Region+News
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #56
robmac

what a day,just came off the lake zero traffic fantastic.Never more than 4 boats at a time in Braun Bay,Marine Patrol made a quick trip through to check distance from shore for the couple of boats there then left with a wave
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #57
Ropetow

Real quiet in the Alton Bay area today. We were out for a while around noon, and counted maybe 12 other boats in about 2 hours (not including a pedal-boat by the Gazebo and four kayaks). Yeah, it was a bit windy and sunshine was spotty at best, but still....This is the prime summer season! Today may not have been the best day possible to boat on the lake, but come January, it'll seem fantabulous!
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #58
ApS

Question Better reporting makes for safer boating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
My 2004 Boaters Guide of New Hampshire states that $500 in damage must be reported.

Would this change account for the "improved boating" we're seeing in the most recent US Coast Guard accident statistics?