Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Happy Gourmand

Default Jeld-Wen patio sliders and windows

I am converting a 3 season porch to 4 season. Does anybody have experience with Jeld-Wen sliding doors and windows? I have a friend who sells Pella windows and doors and who can get me a great price for them. But my contractor says that Jeld-Wen are a good solid choice and a great value. There is a big cost difference between the 2 brands, even at "employee" pricing of the Pella's.
I have seen some threads with comments on the Pella brand of patio sliding doors, many not so good, but the ones I am considering are supposed to be a better than contractor grade or what they sell at Lowe's.
I read good things about Jeld-Wen, but I'm hoping to hear from some of you who might have some experience with them.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Highlander

Can't speak for the Jeld Win but I did have a Pella slider installed in our home during an addition and remodel. Have been very happy with the slider, it has the blind in between the glass with the magnetic sliding operation. The door is very efficient and operates very nice.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
mhtranger

I lived in Fla for many years and they were big down there but I know the reason why....they are cheap windows that the builders could make money on. I built a house and that's what the builder used.
I have a good friend that sells Pella as well. Might be more money but you get what you pay for and they stand behind their products. Not on them.
Just my .02
David
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhtranger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
codeman671

I would not consider Jeld Wen a bargain price window. They are a good quality product. Our log home package came with them.

I had used Pella and Andersen before, both were so so. I have 2 Andersen sliders (in different homes) right now, and I am not pleased with either.

For quality I would look at Marvin or Harvey if you are looking for efficiency.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Just Sold

Pella for NH comes from a Haverhill, MA facility. What is sold in Lowes (builder grade) is not what you get from a Pella franchise. All Pella companies are franchised and not company owned. I know the one in Haverhill and have been through the facility. It is a good operation and the products to me are very good. Of course it depends on what level product you buy. I like their Pro-Line products that are wood with an aluminum clad exterior.

Marvin's are a step above Pella and Anderson. My brother had Marvin windows and doors but no sliders in his home in ME and they performed very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Weather Shield

You may want to look at the Weather Shield brand, available at Boulia Gorell lumber in Laconia. My doors and windows are over 30 years old and I am very happy with them.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
SAB1

Funny this came up. I was just working with someone on building a modular garage. He quoted the price and when we went thru it in detail he had used the Jeld Wen windows and doors. Having not heard heard of them I called my buddy who is a builder in MA. He said they aren't bad just dont buy them thru Home Depot.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Funny this came up. I was just working with someone on building a modular garage. He quoted the price and when we went thru it in detail he had used the Jeld Wen windows and doors. Having not heard heard of them I called my buddy who is a builder in MA. He said they aren't bad just dont buy them thru Home Depot.
HA...that's where I was looking. Did he say why?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
SAB1

Because typically when Home Depot contracts with alot of companies they have a product made for specifically for Home Depot that is lesser quality than what the maker normally puts out. That way they can sell it cheaper. So when you walk thru the Depot and see Anderson Windows, they are a watered down version. Learned that lesson the hard way. Same with the John Deere lawn mowers they sell.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-10-2012), Broken Glass (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default That is true.

Quote:
Because typically when Home Depot contracts with alot of companies they have a product made for specifically for Home Depot that is lesser quality than what the maker normally puts out. That way they can sell it cheaper. So when you walk thru the Depot and see Anderson Windows, they are a watered down version. Learned that lesson the hard way. Same with the John Deere lawn mowers they sell.
HD and Lowes sell a different line of tools, appliances etc then what you get elsewhere. Much lower grade and most instances which is why they can sell so cheap.
They sell Kohler brand items. Try calling the manufacturer on a problem when you bought it at Lowes.
I would second the Harvey brand as well. So many had good things to say when I started the thread on Pella and my problems. But they do have a higher end line that some have had good luck with. It all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
NoBozo

Quote:
Same with the John Deere lawn mowers they sell.
This is TRUE. In fact, my local John Deere dealer told me he would NOT service John Deere tractors bought from Home depot. You can just feel the love. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default I was wondering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
This is TRUE. In fact, my local John Deere dealer told me he would NOT service John Deere tractors bought from Home depot. You can just feel the love. NB
HD has been heavily advertizing their JD line and offering a free trailer with the purchase of a lawn tractor.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Deja vu, anyone????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
DickR

If you want to use the room year round, they you ought to be thinking about winter comfort. Sliders of any sort (doors, windows, even double hungs) are inherently more leaky than casement and fixed windows. Too many houses up here are uncomfortably cold and drafty in winter because windows were selected for summer living (too many, too large, wrong type). Not every windows needs to be operable, either.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
NoBozo

Default OK..Back to windows

Everyone today wants energy efficient (replacement) windows. That means TIGHT..NO leaks. This is all in keeping with Green.

We have another problem with people with allergy's and other respiratory problems. TIGHT windows are definitely tight. The people who are promoting these windows are not lying. They don't LEAK.

THAT'S the Problem. The house Can't Breath..it becomes SICK.... because the air inside becomes stagnant...not enough air changeover. Think about it....Nah...... Don't. It's not politically correct.

You are not a scientist. BUT you don't have to be. It's just Common Sence.....DARE to try it... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
songkrai

Just about all door and window manufacturers make different lines of products. With different designs and grades of quality and durability.

So just stating a brand really has no meaning.

Post the model name and number of such. Then see what comes up.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

We converted a shed to a room and we used MVP. They are a high cost vinyl window but low cost wood window. I absolutely love them! I wish I had them everywhere!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #18
Happy Gourmand

Default Home Depot last night

I went into the Nashua store last night to get more info and talk to the millwork person. I found out that ALL the windows that are sold at HD are actually manufactured by Andersen. They make the HD American Craftsman brand (of which I have several on my porch in Meredith, and like them) and they also own Jeld-Wen.
I didn't order them and good thing I didn't because my wife now tells me that she would like to have the model with the blinds between the glass.
So, to get this thread back a little more on topic, anybody with good or bad experience with Jeld-Wen with or without the blinds?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #19
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I went into the Nashua store last night to get more info and talk to the millwork person. I found out that ALL the windows that are sold at HD are actually manufactured by Andersen. They make the HD American Craftsman brand (of which I have several on my porch in Meredith, and like them) and they also own Jeld-Wen.
Not sure what that person is talking about but Anderson and Jeld Wen are to different companies.

I have a french door and a walk through door with the blinds in them and have never had a problem with either of them.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Jeld Wen is owned by the Wendt family.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Default after questioning..

Spoke with a different and obviously much more knowledgeable person at HD last night. Also did a bit of investigating on my own, and Jeld Wen is NOT owned by Andersen.
I placed my order for an 8' and a 5' slider without the blinds as they won't put them in the 8 footer.
I did decide on the Jeld Wen.
Thank you all for your comments and feedback.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
songkrai

As I stated above each manufacturer has different designs, different qualities, different prices.

Here is what is listed on the Jeld-Wen site for patio doors.

Custom Wood
Aurora
Siteline EX
Tradition Plus
Builders Wood
Premium Wood
Premium Vinyl
Builder Vinyl
Premium Atlantic Vinyl
Premium Aluminum
Builders Aluminum
Builders Florida Aluminum

When comparing one brand to another one has to compare apples to apples.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #23
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
As I stated above each manufacturer has different designs, different qualities, different prices.

Here is what is listed on the Jeld-Wen site for patio doors.

Custom Wood
Aurora
Siteline EX
Tradition Plus
Builders Wood
Premium Wood
Premium Vinyl
Builder Vinyl
Premium Atlantic Vinyl
Premium Aluminum
Builders Aluminum
Builders Florida Aluminum

When comparing one brand to another one has to compare apples to apples.
I went with the Premium Vinyl, a step above the Builder's Vinyl.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #24
mcwtoyz

So Phantom, it has been over a year now with the Jeld Wen. Any updates on your selection. I am contemplating getting the Jeld Wen over the Sunrise which would save me about $700. It would be installed by the same dealer as the sunrise so I am confident that they would install the door properly. Any feedback on your experience after a year would be appreciated!
mcwtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #25
nhboat61

Default over a year

Hi, I had 30, (yes 30 - main house and cottage) Jeld-Wen windows installed in my camp last year. We have had them for a year and have had very good luck with them. We spent about 45% of our time there this winter and never had a worry about heat loss.

Very solid built, no drafts and smooth operating. 8 are sliding windows, the balance double hung. I have no problem using them again. Also, when closed ithey keep the noise out and make it very quiet.

My buddy is a buildier in CT and uses them when he cant use a Marvin or Anderson.

we had one sliding glass door put in as well, the only problem is the screen door not operating right. I think it is more to do with the house then the door.

These were purchased direct from factory by the contractor. these did not come from HD or Lowes.

I would recommend and purchase them again

Last edited by nhboat61; 05-23-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: purchase info
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #26
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwtoyz View Post
So Phantom, it has been over a year now with the Jeld Wen. Any updates on your selection. I am contemplating getting the Jeld Wen over the Sunrise which would save me about $700. It would be installed by the same dealer as the sunrise so I am confident that they would install the door properly. Any feedback on your experience after a year would be appreciated!
We had 3 sliders installed, 8', 6' and 5' and 2 sliding windows. All have performed flawlessly. The sliders operate very smoothly and are very solid feeling. Nice tight fits on all of them. Two of the sliders are exterior on a 3 season porch, we feel no drafts on windy and cold days. The other slider opens up to the porch and has the blinds between the glass.
We are very satisfied and would highly recommend them.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
codeman671

We are experiencing some pretty bad leaks in our Jeld Wen upper casing windows. It is the frames that are leaking, not around the edges. They are all wood, not vinyl.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We are experiencing some pretty bad leaks in our Jeld Wen upper casing windows. It is the frames that are leaking, not around the edges. They are all wood, not vinyl.
Leaks of air or water ?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Could it be that the flashing wasn't installed properly?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Could it be that the flashing wasn't installed properly?
This is my bet! Poor installation carries the lions share of issues with windows and doors. There is not much difference from one manufacturer to the other, except the add-on bells and whistles or series options. (that opinion comes from 10 years of selling the top 3 side to side in a built-in showroom display, each brand trades something to better another item they deem more important. It is all marketing)

In a log home it is even more important than with a conventional framed home to get the flashing detail correct, because there is minimal space to make the proper flashing fitment work. There are ways to implement "timeless" exposed flashing details that have been used in this area for hundreds of years.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
This is my bet! Poor installation carries the lions share of issues with windows and doors. There is not much difference from one manufacturer to the other, except the add-on bells and whistles or series options. (that opinion comes from 10 years of selling the top 3 side to side in a built-in showroom display, each brand trades something to better another item they deem more important. It is all marketing)

In a log home it is even more important than with a conventional framed home to get the flashing detail correct, because there is minimal space to make the proper flashing fitment work. There are ways to implement "timeless" exposed flashing details that have been used in this area for hundreds of years.
It is actually leaking through where the glass and trim meet on the outside, not around the outside of the window frame. If the rain ever stops I will take a picture.