Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
flatlander02138

Default Deer

My first deer hunt starts Nov 3rd. It's something I've always wanted to do. Growing up we only shot targets, but I always photographed wildlife. Now however I've traded in my camera for a shotgun and a muzzleloader. So if any of you know where the deer or bears are getting too close for comfort I would appreciate all the help I can get. I had a health scare this year and realized its now or never. Thanks....
flatlander02138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
secondcurve

A guy/girl from Cambridge, Ma hunting deer? That has to be a first. Good luck!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
RLW

Smile

flatlander02138, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. Best of luck with your new adventure in the woods using a shotgun and not your cameras. When you get something, please post a picture.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well? Did you get any?

Edit.
Deer that is........
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
flatlander02138

Only spend two full days so far and a couple hours here and there. My first day I walked around winnisquam farms and the woods along 93 and saw zero. Then I headed over by Meredith bay the morning it snowed, but not much snow. So instead I headed to southern NH for more snow cover to track them in. A couple close calls but they were too quick. They have lots of deer down there and I saw seven that day, all female. It's okay to shoot females down there but I didn't have any safe shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander02138 View Post
Only spend two full days so far and a couple hours here and there. My first day I walked around winnisquam farms and the woods along 93 and saw zero. Then I headed over by Meredith bay the morning it snowed, but not much snow. So instead I headed to southern NH for more snow cover to track them in. A couple close calls but they were too quick. They have lots of deer down there and I saw seven that day, all female. It's okay to shoot females down there but I didn't have any safe shots.
Them there "female deer" don't like to be called that. Antlerless or doe, that's it... never "female".

Deer can tell when a hunter is a little green behind the ears. They probably know that you called them "female" and that's why you can't get a good shot.

Next time you see a "female" deer you need to yell out: Hey, there's a "Doe"... That will stop them in their tracks and then you can get a good shot at them. Works everytime!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Speaking of deer, was rather annoyed at the fact my typical vacation time for hunting season this year was abruptly taken off the table due to stuff going on at work, so I was pretty much convinced that it wasn't going to be a successful season. However when it comes to filling the freezer I have no pride at all, settled for a neighborhood deer right in my back yard. Taken with my muzzleloader at 25 yards. Not bad though 114 lb doe dressed, and good eating!
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
flatlander02138 (12-13-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Good Job!

Nice job Maxum! That will put some good meat in the freezer!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
flatlander02138

Very hard Togo to work in the morning, but have save a couple days off for holidays. Can't wait to get back out there and try my rifle this week. Nice deer, I'd be happy with any. Good organic meat.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Cool almost got one tonight, but I messed up

Well, I messed up. We were on our way home from dinner at the Granite Steak House in Rochester, and as we were coming up to the flashing light in New Durham, a deer came out in front of us. I had just passed a car and put up my high beams, and saw the deer. This is where I screwed up. Instead of sitting on a tree stand for hours at a time, hoping to shoot a deer with a 30-30 bullet moving at 2300 feet per second per second, I could have picked off the deer with a 2010 Corolla doing 40 MPH, but I guess I was smart and hit the brakes. We were both able to live to see another day.

It was a little close, not laying down rubber skidding to a stop close, but close. Nice spike buck.

Maxum. nice deer.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Well, I messed up. We were on our way home from dinner at the Granite Steak House in Rochester, and as we were coming up to the flashing light in New Durham, a deer came out in front of us. I had just passed a car and put up my high beams, and saw the deer. This is where I screwed up. Instead of sitting on a tree stand for hours at a time, hoping to shoot a deer with a 30-30 bullet moving at 2300 feet per second per second, I could have picked off the deer with a 2010 Corolla doing 40 MPH, but I guess I was smart and hit the brakes. We were both able to live to see another day.

It was a little close, not laying down rubber skidding to a stop close, but close. Nice spike buck.

Maxum. nice deer.
Sounds like that deer was just toying with you. If the deer truly have a death wish you don't get a chance to hit the brake. BTDT.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
fpartri497

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago In that same spot. coming back from Johnsons steak house In the dark, I think the state should fence that paticular area of the highway as It seems that Its a constant problem

Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago In that same spot. coming back from Johnsons steak house In the dark, I think the state should fence that paticular area of the highway as It seems that Its a constant problem

Maybe a letter to the editor is in order .

August 19, 2011 12:00 am
(3) Comments

A lot of deer get hit by cars west of Crown Point on U.S. 231. There are too many cars to have the deer crossing here. The deer crossing sign needs to be moved to a road with less traffic.
- Tim Abbott, Crown Point

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion...56d754a9b.html
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
My first deer hunt starts Nov 3rd. It's something I've always wanted to do. Growing up we only shot targets, but I always photographed wildlife. Now however I've traded in my camera for a shotgun and a muzzleloader. So if any of you know where the deer or bears are getting too close for comfort I would appreciate all the help I can get. I had a health scare this year and realized its now or never. Thanks....

Being successful hunting around NH is extremely difficult. I can say for myself I have been very fortunate to have been able to take a deer nearly every year, but much work is put into knowing where to go and how to get them. Everyone has their own methods, but I'll share a few of mine for what they are worth.

Randomly picking a spot to hunt never has brought me success. I found that once I started to really study different areas I could narrow down which ones would be more productive based on the topography and habitat.

Once I had a few places narrowed down, scouting is the next piece of the puzzle. Yeah you may find deer sign, but it's really more important to find out where the deer are usually travelling and at what times of the day. Once you pick up on their patterns and likely travel routes can you then pick a good spot to setup an ambush for them.

I find hunting from a stand to be most effective. Walking around pushing deer works I suppose, but then you are forced to take a rushed shot increasing the chances of either missing, or wounding a deer which may not be fatal. If you are in good cover, or in a tree stand you won't have that problem.

Forget about hunting with a shotgun! You're hard pressed to drop a deer with one. You can use a muzzle loader anywhere a shotgun is required and a muzzleloader, especially a modern inline (such as the one I use seen in the pic posted) are far more accurate and deadly. For what it's worth, that muzzle loader I have is a Ruger 77/50 with a fixed 4X scope on top capable of hitting a 6" grouping at 100 yards with a 250 grain sabot and a 209 primer conversion. Shot guns are good for maybe 50 yards at best and don't have very good ballistics even with a rifled barrel.

Finally only take a shot if you know you have a good look at the money spot, direct hit to the vitals or shot to the neck (preferred as the deer will drop DOA with a direct hit to the neck) Nothing is more disturbing to be out in the woods and hear bang... bang... bang, bang.... bang... bang, bang! I mean seriously? All my deer, one shot did the trick. I have passed on a number of opportunities cause I just could not get the right sight picture.

Oh yeah don't forget to wear plenty of orange! Good grief I still can't believe how many don't and that's just plain dangerous! Good luck - I hope you get one, this year the population is way up so you should have pretty good luck.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
flatlander02138

Thanks for the help people. My 24hr shift just turned into a 48. So its nice to talk hunting if I can't do it just yet. On the way in this morning the sun painted the sky magenta. I was about to the Hooksett tolls on 93 when I saw a couple bucks off below me. Very cool. They were just flexing muscles from what I could tell. So I may hit that again at the same time on Sunday morning . Also have one up the hill from my house that's bedded in same spot for 8 months but I've yet to see him. As for Johnson's Steakhouse deer they are 10 minutes from my folks house so I may have to go check onit and hunt while there.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
dpg

[I]Oh yeah don't forget to wear plenty of orange! Good grief I still can't believe how many don't and that's just plain dangerous! Good luck - I hope you get one, this year the population is way up so you should have pretty good luck. [I]

Maxum - maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any orange in your picture.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
flatlander02138

I tried the Tuftonboro neck area today. Lots of no tresspassing signs. By the time I found an area full off deer sign I think they were bedded down for the day. Then as I was leaving I found "Kates Nature Trail". Came upon a kill site of a wild turkey. Looks like a coyote or bobcat got it and ate head and breasts off of it in the middle of the trail. Didn't get any deer but they were there for sure.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

Although we live in Moultonborough my husband (Aaron) hunts in the Cortland, NY area (he was raised there). In the past few days my husband, son and my brother-in-law have gotten two bucks and one doe. Aaron then leaves Saturday for Kansas. He travels there every November to hunt with friends. What a shame! I don't even eat venison.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #19
flatlander02138

I understand going where the deer are. I can walk in the woods for 15minutes and see deer down on the Mass border. So I am hoping to fill my ticket for a doe in that region after work one day. The buck tag I want to fill around here if possible, but the deer are spread thin up here. I even got a couple noise makers to try and get them close. The whole thing is foriegn to me but its getting me out in some beautiful areas and the exercise doesn't hurt.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Lakesrider

You guys should try the area of the power relay on RT109 just near the Moultonborough/Tuftonboro town line. That whole stretch from the Bald Peak Colony Club to the 90 degree turn heading into Melvin Village is always full of deer in the morning. I go through there most days at sunrise and head home at dusk and I am always real carefull through that stretch. I watch as most people barrel through there at 50. Crazy folks they are....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #21
christo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
You guys should try the area of the power relay on RT109 just near the Moultonborough/Tuftonboro town line. That whole stretch from the Bald Peak Colony Club to the 90 degree turn heading into Melvin Village is always full of deer in the morning. I go through there most days at sunrise and head home at dusk and I am always real carefull through that stretch. I watch as most people barrel through there at 50. Crazy folks they are....
I have seen quite a few in that area snowmobiling and it is tough to sneak up on anything on a sled .
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
flatlander02138

Smile

Well I can't say I didn't have any luck. I got to see deer, birds, mink and some great scenery. I didn't get a deer this year, but the fact is I'm lucky to be alive so I'll take it. I actually came close one morning on my way home from work and took a shot but was so excited I didn't even aim as I should have. I found some of the best habitat along Rt109 but it is mostly posted against hunting. I am going to have to research if my family knows anyone on Long Island for next year. I photographed deer there but I guess if you get a land owners signature you can hunt on the island during a special hunt. Between working in the fire service and my spouse working a similar job, we both understand its not about the kill, its about the days you spend hunting. I hope you all have a healthy holiday season. It's almost ice fishing time.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:44 AM   #23
Belmont Resident

Default My son got his.

My son got his first big buck this year, 8 point around 180-190 dressed.
He's been at it for years with countless hours spent in the woods.

One thing I've noticed is that there seem to be more and more people who spend their day driving around looking for deer. That is not hunting.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #24
ApS

Default American author, poet, philosopher, abolitionist, development critic,

Quote:
"...Well I can't say I didn't have any luck. I got to see deer, birds, mink and some great scenery..."
Sorta like fishing?

Philosopher Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) was an advocate of "getting away":

Quote:
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
—Thoreau
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
flatlander02138 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
Newbiesaukee

I believe Long Island hunting is restricted to bow and arrow.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
flatlander02138

Default Long Isle Hunt

Yes it is archery only I think. It's on my list of Fish N Game classes for this year. Been shooting paper plates since I was 11. One of the Cambridge kids who's Dad taught at 'Harvard'. I just didn't tell people he taught Archery
Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 AM   #27
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo1 View Post
...it is tough to sneak up on anything on a sled .
How about Moose?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

We finally have a photo of BR on his snowmobile.
Winnisquamguy (12-21-2012)
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #29
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Speaking of deer, was rather annoyed at the fact my typical vacation time for hunting season this year was abruptly taken off the table due to stuff going on at work, so I was pretty much convinced that it wasn't going to be a successful season. However when it comes to filling the freezer I have no pride at all, settled for a neighborhood deer right in my back yard. Taken with my muzzleloader at 25 yards. Not bad though 114 lb doe dressed, and good eating!
For muzzleloading season, one of these would give the best "bang for the dollar".

One pull of the trigger—seven shots!

Hopefully, that is. ...but maybe not!

No picking tiny pellets out of "dinner".

Just like the original, you can load it at leisure—in front of your TV.

The Nock Volley Gun...and it's for sale...!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #30
dpg

Funny - is that Moose picture from NH?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
hilltopper

I believe from reading snowmobiling forums it was Northern VT but I'm not 100% sure...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
Lakesrider

Three deer today. One on the side of the road near Mitt Romney's church in Wolfeboro this morning, and two crossing the road on RT 109 down near the Mirror Lake boat launch on Rt109 at 4pm today. The last two were a close call. Had it been dark I would have nailed at least the first one to cross. Notably the second one to cross was rather smallish looking. No where near the size of the first one.

Keep your eyes open at dawn and dusk people.....
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #33
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Three deer today. One on the side of the road near Mitt Romney's church in Wolfeboro this morning, and two crossing the road on RT 109 down near the Mirror Lake boat launch on Rt109 at 4pm today. The last two were a close call. Had it been dark I would have nailed at least the first one to cross. Notably the second one to cross was rather smallish looking. No where near the size of the first one.

Keep your eyes open at dawn and dusk people.....
Do you mean the boat launch by the Libby? Did you know that that section starting at the Libby and ending before Tuftonboro Neck has always been known as "The Narrows"?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
Lakesrider

No. I meant the small ramp near Askew Landscaping. The ramp goes into Mirror Lake, not Winni.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Ok, I wasn't sure which one you were talking about. Anyway, you now know what to call that section I mentioned if you see deer there, right?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote