Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
Piston

Default Wireless trolling motor-foot or hand remote?

I've (almost) bought a 22' pontoon boat, and I'm interested in getting a bow mounted trolling motor for it. I've been looking at the Motorguide W75 wireless trolling motor. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Motor...tyId%3D1152281

I can get it with either a wireless foot remote, or a hand held remote. Does anyone have any opinions as to what would be better?

I intend to use it while fishing from the boat, seems like the foot mount would be better when sitting in one spot and fishing off the bow, however, seems like it would be easier to keep the handheld remote with me when moving around?

Another intended use of the trolling motor, is to sit in the front lounge chair while slowly cruising along the shoreline, controlling the boat from my chair. Seems like the handheld might be better for this.

Anyone have any preferences?
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
mhtranger

We have one with the foot remote and we don't like it very much. It is very touchy when it comes to control. Touch the left switch and it takes a second or two to respond and sometimes turns too much. Have not tried the remote one but I would see if they had a demo to try in store. I have one with the cable and it works well but my leg gets tired from standing like "Captain Morgan" from the rum bottle....
I like the idea of sitting in the chair and controlling it from there..
Just my .02
David
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default I Can Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piston View Post
I've (almost) bought a 22' pontoon boat, and I'm interested in getting a bow mounted trolling motor for it. I've been looking at the Motorguide W75 wireless trolling motor. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Motor...tyId%3D1152281

I can get it with either a wireless foot remote, or a hand held remote. Does anyone have any opinions as to what would be better?

I intend to use it while fishing from the boat, seems like the foot mount would be better when sitting in one spot and fishing off the bow, however, seems like it would be easier to keep the handheld remote with me when moving around?

Another intended use of the trolling motor, is to sit in the front lounge chair while slowly cruising along the shoreline, controlling the boat from my chair. Seems like the handheld might be better for this.

Anyone have any preferences?
Well there piston your in luck! I just installed a brand new trolling motor on my toon and have both the foot and wireless remote. Without question the wireless remote is definitely the way to go for all the reasons you noted above!!

Couple words of advice, you are at the bare minimum for pounds of thrust with that motor and a 22' toon. If you plan on trolling, the slightest wind will affect you greatly. If you just plan on staying in the bays and secluded areas casting you will be O.K.

I have a 24' pontoon and went with the Minn Kota Terranova 36 volt, 101 lb thrust with autopilot. I love it so far. At max speed with no wind I can go about 3.2 MPH which is not that bad considering the weight it is moving. (my toon has a 250 Evinrude outboard which weighs a lot.) Last week I trolled continually at 2.2 MPH in no wind conditions for about 4 hours before recharging. The slower you go the more battery life you will get. That was also my first charge on the batteries so I am hoping after a couple of full charges and warmer weather, battery life will increase.

There is a thread here where you can see my setup... http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13792

If you want to try my wireless remote P.M. me through the board as I am on the lake every weekend at my camp.

Good luck!!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Piston

Dan,
Thanks for the info, it's funny you posted, I was just reading your salmon fishing thread about an hour ago, and was about to PM you to ask your opinion of your setup. Looks really slick and I like the cooler idea!

I was reading some reviews on basspro and they seem to be all over the place, I'm glad you posted your positive remarks here.

How did you like the autopilot feature on the motor? Did you get the Ipilot as well?

I think I'd be happy with just the autopilot and not the Ipilot, I really don't see myself using the ipilot much more than just playing around, but who knows.

I have been comparing the motorguide and minn kota and it seems like the Terrova that you got is certainly the best of the bunch.

Where did you purchase yours from? What length shaft did you get for the motor?

Regarding the thrust required, thanks for mentioning that and I will look into it more. Do you have any input on Weeres pontoon boats? That is the type I'm looking at and really can't find a whole lot of info on them, I started a thread here...
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=13829

Thanks for your help,
Matt
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Hi Matt;

The autopilot is a great feature. Point your boat in any direction, press a button and it sends you there in a straight line against any wind or waves. I used it last week to troll from Welch island to a point I picked out on Rattlesnake. It took me right there without touching anything non stop.

I did not get the I-Pilot feature. Like you, I felt I would not use it and am glad I didn't bother with it. The Auto Pilot does everything I need.

I bought my motor from Northern Bass Supply in Kingston, NH. http://www.northernbass.com/ No real difference in price than the catalogs, just wanted to keep the purchase local and didn't have to pay for shipping. They ordered everything for me and had it in three days!

I went with the 60" shaft. I could have gone one size shorter but it all depend how high above the deck you want the motor. By the way the shaft on this motor is completely unbreakable! I think it is made out of carbon fiber.

One thing, my motor is heavy. One person can handle it but I would not want to carry it far! If your leaving it mounted on the boat, it's not an issue.

If you go to Minn Kotas web site you can enter your boat size and they will recommend a motor size for you. In my opinion the bigger the better!!

Sorry but I am not familiar with and have never seen a Weeres pontoon.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Piston (04-06-2012)
Sponsored Links