Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
gwood

Smile Vacationing in Meredith this Summer

My family and I will be staying and boating at Lake Winnipesaukee this August. We have an 18ft Seadoo boat (8 seater) and plan on going out on the lake. I'm looking for some advice. I have read most posts out hear and realize that our boat is on the small end of the range for this size lake. In light of that we will keep our eye out for weather. We will be there during the week only so I'm hoping the boat traffic won't be to bad either.

My current plans involve going down to Weirs Beach, riding into Paugus Bay, going to Center Harbor, perhaps going to Bear Island. More or less staying pretty close to Meredith.

Looking for advice and cool places to explore and/or dock given the limitation of the small size boat.

Thanks.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
GusMan

Default Merideth area....

Hi gwood,

Provided you take some fairly basic precautions, you should be fine with an 18 foot boat in and around Merideth. Although the area from the mouth of Merideth and Paugus Bays out to Governor's Island is probably the busiest area of Lake Winnipesaukee.

The weather will probably be less of a problem than the general boat traffic (of course you need to watch the weather too) though midweek will be considerably quieter than the weekends. Just watch out for the big boats (and their equally big wakes) and take it slow. All of the spots you mention will be readily accessible with your boat... again, the biggest thing to watch out for a large boat wakes, and the occasional bonehead captain not paying attention (or not caring).

Merideth and the Weirs both have public docking and are great stops to get out and walk around, shop and eat (Weirs is more old time honky tonk while Merideth more upscale.... I like them both). I *always* like to take a trip through the Weirs channel into Paugus Bay.... it's like a hit parade of boats. I know it's gotten mixed reviews on this boards, but stop for a cold drink (alcoholic or not) at the Naswa.... we once had to relocate out of a table located on the band/DJ stand to make room for the entertainment... they asked us where we wanted to move our seats... we replied "near the water"... they asked if *in* the water would suffice and proceeded to seat us in about 1 foot of water on the beach... the waitresses walked right out and continued their fine service!

Center Harbor is nice, but there's not a lot there to see ... a couple general stores and restaurants... but not a village like atmosphere like Merideth... nor a beachside strip like the weirs. There's a great restaurant there... Canoe... that I believe will pick you up at the docks with a free shuttle if you call them.

A great little spot to investigate is Sally's Gut... it's a small cut between two coves and separates Stopnedam Island from the mainland. Check out a chart... if you enter the first *major* cove on the left as you exit Merideth, Sally's gut is about midway down the cove on the right. Also, there is a public dock on the northeast side of Stonedam Island where you can tie up and explore the island via hiking trails.

Well... I guess I've rambled on enough.... Enjoy your week up at the big lake! I'll be spending a week there myself the last week of August.

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
wildwoodfam

Default 18 footer is plenty big...

Don't let the size of the lake scare you into staying too close to Meredith! We have a 19' bowrider and have gone everywhere on the big lake. You do need to keep track of weather forecasts and be ready to take shelter along the shore if a thunderstorm comes out from nowhere. Otherwise your 18 footer should be fine getting you anywhere on the lake - for a nice day trip - head across the lake to Wolfeboro and check out the Oldest Summer Resort in America!! Head over to Paugus Bay and swim at the sandbar then take the kids to Burger King BY BOAT!

Again - don't be afraid to explore the lake. Have a lake chart - study it before you head out to your destination - have your boaters safety certificate too!!

During the week the lake is generally calm and open. Weirs is always busy - it's summer afterall!

Sally's Gut is a tricky area to be directing folks new to the lake Gusman! And Naswa is not really what I would consider "kid friendly" - Naswa is more adult oriented weekend fun place...which I enjoy immensely when out with friends! Stick with Burger King....for family fun!

Boat safe and enjoy (all or as much of ) the big lake as you can see!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Airwaves

I have an 18' bowrider. There is no place on the lake that I won't go in this boat so don't be intimidated by the size of your boat.

Yes, all boaters need to be careful of the weather, check it before you leave the dock and certainly have a chart on board at all times.

Other than that, have a good time! Naswau is not somewhere I would take children on weekends, I've never been there during the week but I imagine it would be less roudy.

If you want to drop anchor and go swimming there are lots of places to do that. In Paugus Bay just off the Margate it is shallow and sandy. I personally like Cow Island but just be mindful that folks live there so don't anchor in front of their homes.

On the "other side" of the Governor's Island Bridge is a no rafting zone that I have been known to drop anchor to swim and jet ski. (Remember, No rafting)

I also personally like Sally's Gut and Hole in the Wall, but those places are tight and you need to have complete control of your boat. (read that inexperianced boaters could hit rocks)

What I like to do is just look at the chart, decide where I'd like to go and do it! In the years that I have been at the lake (50+) I have not seen it all!

You mentioned that your boat is an 18' Seadoo. If that is a Jetboat you will obviously have less manuverability at slower speeds than an outboard or I/O. Keep that in mind.

Enjoy, explore, have a great time!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
gwood

Smile New to the Lake

I appreciate all the comments. I have ordered the Bizer Chart and will study it thoroughly before we get there. Yes my seadoo is a jetboat but I'm not so sure that is a disadvantage as far as manueverability. As long as the water isn't too rough, I can stop, spin in place and go a different direction. Not something a prop boat can do. However, I will heed the advice on tight spots being my first time up there. What is Sally's Gut anyway? Perhaps it is worth the risk.

How about a good place for wakeboarding and tubing. I understand Weirs is busy. How about in the 4 mile stretch from Meredith to Weirs? Can we wakeboard right off the hotel (Mills Falls)? How about Paugus Bay? Looking for some calm waters.

Thanks again.
gwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
How about a good place for wakeboarding and tubing. I understand Weirs is busy. How about in the 4 mile stretch from Meredith to Weirs? Can we wakeboard right off the hotel (Mills Falls)? How about Paugus Bay? Looking for some calm waters.
What part of Meredith are you staying in? If you are on the north side of Meredith Neck then look for a place called Blackey's Cove just past Center Harbour to go wakeboarding. You'll have to get early in the day because it does get busier as the day goes on.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
Kamper

Before 10-11am the lake will be fairly calm if you like high-speed runs. Traffic and winds will bring up the chop in the open areas after that. It usually calms down a bit towards 5-6pm. Mid-week is quieter with Wednesday being the least busy day.

Many people tube in the small bay below Governor's Island bridge. The "sound" between Bear Island and Meredith Neck is ok if you stay away from the marked route. If you dont mind a long ride to Moultonborough Bay there's a lot of open space there. This would be a better spot for a day cruise than a quick joy ride for you, though. Many people just plunk in any where and hope for the best. If there's a lot of traffic you should just move on.

Avoid towing people in a marked channel. Even if you are traveling slow you may have an anxious moment if some one loses a grip at the wrong moment in an high-traffic area. You may also encounter another boat heading towards your tow for a variety of reasons that can increase the risk.

If you run down to Wolfeboro or Alton allow, extra time to get home unless you enjoy a good beating and some air-time. Since the wind is usually out of the north-west I have normally had a smoother ride along that shore. "Smoother" is a relative term of course.

For reference, I have a 15' aluminum bowrider. 40hp o/b.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
John A. Birdsall

Default boat size

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
My family and I will be staying and boating at Lake Winnipesaukee this August. We have an 18ft Seadoo boat (8 seater) and plan on going out on the lake. I'm looking for some advice. I have read most posts out hear and realize that our boat is on the small end of the range for this size lake. In light of that we will keep our eye out for weather. We will be there during the week only so I'm hoping the boat traffic won't be to bad either.

My current plans involve going down to Weirs Beach, riding into Paugus Bay, going to Center Harbor, perhaps going to Bear Island. More or less staying pretty close to Meredith.

Looking for advice and cool places to explore and/or dock given the limitation of the small size boat.

Thanks.
I think some think size of boat makes a big difference. Well I have operated boats from 6' in length to 26' iin length on this lake. I have operated a 11' boat with an 18 hp from 1957 to 1970 on this lake, and one summer when gas prices were of a high ($.35 gal including oil at downings) we used 600.00 and no problems anywhere on the lake. I think if a person operates a boat within the law, is courtess to others it makes no mind. By the way I now operate a 16'6" boat with 115 hp on the lake and yes I watch the weather and traffic. Much different lake then in the 50's and 60's
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
Dave R

gwood, check your Private Messages...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Phantom

gwood -- as many have said above -- you'll be just fine in an 18' jet boat.

The answer to your question of Sally's Gut -- is that it is a narrow "passageway" behind Stonedham which is a Natural Preserve Area that you are welcome to explore (hike).

As far as tubing/skiing -- most anywhere will do mid week. The waters (weather-wind dependant) are usually quite calm most midweek days before say noon.

I would not hesitate to venture anywhere on the Lake with your 18 footer as the others have said -- Wolfboro is a great take and easy ride (mid week) if the weather permits and will give Mom and the kids another shopping area -- head out of Merideth by 9-10AM and plan to spend the better part of a day on this trip!! When our kids were smaller we use to have them alternate skiing on the way over. To give you a feel for it -- at a comfortable cruzin speed (not knowing the Lake) it will take you 50 minutes to an hour, one way -- without sightseeing -- which you'll obviously be doing -- also NOTE the "Witches" on your map, behind Govenors Island before you start (and don't let them scare you away from the trip)!! As someone above mentioned -- even with just "wind chop" the ride back always seems longer and bumpier so be prepared (time wise).

Finally, another area that is fun to explore by boat are the "Islands" - have your map handy and run around "Mark, Timber, Round and Camp Islands". There is a no wake passage between Mark and Little Mark that is fun to run through.

My only word of caution is to be completely comfortable reading the navigation sticks (red - black) and have a compass aboard before you head out past Merideth Bay.

Don't be bashful Explore !! You'll love it !!
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
jrc

On most days the advice given is fine. But if the wind picks up, things can change. Check the wind predictions (follow the weather links on this site) before crossing the Broads. If winds are above 15-20 MPH from the north, you are not going to feel comfortable on the Broads in an 18 foot boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote