Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
JPC

Default Missing markers

Has anyone noticed that the red top companion marker to FL55 (entrance to smith cove in Glendale) is missing? There is a huge bolder on the wrong side of FL55 and without the companion marker its very easy to get too close to that bolder. I hit it 5 yrs ago when the marker was missing and caused considerable damage to my boat. A fellow boater at Fays hit it two weekends ago. He said that he was aproximately 6ft away from the lighted marker. With the gas docks at Fays this channel can get very busy and boats will tend to run close to the markers when passing. If a boater is unaware of the presence of a bolder they chance damaging an outdrive or keel especially when the water gets lower towards the end of the month. A sail boat with a deep enough draft will hit the bolder with the present water level.

This marker has been missing over two weeks now. I went to the MP office in Glendale today and they were not aware that it was missing. Smith Cove is just outside their windows.

PS: there is also a missing marker between Mink and Mark Islands.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Missing red marker at Elkin's point

Between light markers 13 and 14 (Moultonboro Bay), there is a missing red marker on the eastern shore, right off the point of Elkins point. It normally sits out pretty far, so its a hazzard to have it missing.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #3
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Between light markers 13 and 14 (Moultonboro Bay), there is a missing red marker on the eastern shore, right off the point of Elkins point. It normally sits out pretty far, so its a hazzard to have it missing.
'Can't say for sure, but today's plastic markers are likely to be cut off below the waterline—by Cap'n B's propeller.

Maybe that's a marker that needs replacement with one of those earlier solid oak markers!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
Airwaves

The cheapest and easiest way for Marine Patrol to immediately deal with missing markers is to develop a Missing or off station marker list (similar to the CGs light list) and post it on their website until they can get around to replacing them.

As far as the MP saying they didn't know about the missing marker outside Smith Cove, that sounds like a CYA answer to me, I can't fathom their boats, going in and out of the cove every day, haven't noticed.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
'Can't say for sure, but today's plastic markers are likely to be cut off below the waterline—by Cap'n B's propeller.

[/B] markers!

we had one of those on ossipee that I hit a month ago. it got cutoff when the water level was low and when it came back up i clipped it. Knew basically where it was but got a bit to close because another boat was coming the other way too far over. no damage but couldn't figure out what caused the racket, went back in the am with the jet ski and saw it there. MP who puts in 50 feet away from the marker didn't even know it was missing when I told them.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Senter Cove Guy

Default B&W Companion Buoy To FL 10 Is Missing

This is between Little Bear and Long Island. Noticed it this past weekend.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
pmj

Default outside of smith cove near MP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
Has anyone noticed that the red top companion marker to FL55 (entrance to smith cove in Glendale) is missing? There is a huge bolder on the wrong side of FL55 and without the companion marker its very easy to get too close to that bolder. I hit it 5 yrs ago when the marker was missing and caused considerable damage to my boat. A fellow boater at Fays hit it two weekends ago. He said that he was aproximately 6ft away from the lighted marker. With the gas docks at Fays this channel can get very busy and boats will tend to run close to the markers when passing. If a boater is unaware of the presence of a bolder they chance damaging an outdrive or keel especially when the water gets lower towards the end of the month. A sail boat with a deep enough draft will hit the bolder with the present water level.

This marker has been missing over two weeks now. I went to the MP office in Glendale today and they were not aware that it was missing. Smith Cove is just outside their windows.

PS: there is also a missing marker between Mink and Mark Islands.
Is the missing marker outside of smith cove? I don't have my chart with me to see exactly where it should be but we have a slip in Fays with one of those keels that i would like to protect. i didn't notice anything missing yesterday when I was out..I will check it out again this week.

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
JPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
Is the missing marker outside of smith cove? I don't have my chart with me to see exactly where it should be but we have a slip in Fays with one of those keels that i would like to protect. i didn't notice anything missing yesterday when I was out..I will check it out again this week.

pmj

It was still missing Saturday when I came in around 3:30PM. I didn't go out on Sunday. It's the first marker on the right as you are coming into Smith Cove (Fay's). There is a lighted marker #55 and there is suppose to be a red top companion marker. The boulder is between both but if the red top is missing its hard to gauge the location of that rock if you are paying attention to traffic. The safest is to motor right down the center of the channel.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default I thought so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy
This is between Little Bear and Long Island. Noticed it this past weekend.

I thought I noticed this guy gone....but wasn't sure....I was more interested in trying not to soak my passengers.....What I didn't understand though was why the lighted bouy was still there....must have been precise targeting....
Old 08-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
JPC

Default Missing Marker update

PMJ, this marker is still missing as of this morning. The water level was quite a bit lower this weekend and two weeks from now is the Labor Day weekend. There will be a lot of traffic in this channel and I'm sure some one else will hit this rock.