Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Ken B

Default Boater harassment law?

Are there any NH laws that protect boaters from being harassed by landowners?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
SBC

Default Harrasment?

I know that the public waters of the state are just that...public waters for all to enjoy, and it is a priviledge given to the users by the state. The landowners sometimes think they own their little piece of the water so think about it a little differently.

Suppose you plunked down $150K for the land, built a house for another $150K and then pay another $3-5K a year in taxes. For some this is their idea of how they want to spend a few precious weeks a year in 'relaxation'. So now those boats, which naturally come with a water enviornment (who'd have thunk?) come around and block your view, make noise, have fun and generally make the water splash vigorously on your carefully landscaped shoreline. Hmmmm, those damned boaters!

All that is a lot of money for a Po' boy like me but may or may not be much to some who think they may have 'bought' some peace and tranquility in the woods and waters of NH. AND NOW THE TRANQUILITY IS GONE BECAUSE OF THOSE BOATS!!!

These are just randon thoughts and may not have any accuracy as far as the $'s are concerned but thiking about how a landowner may be thinking when he is yelling at me to not go so close to his piece of paradise.

ARF-ARF!!

I don't know Ken. What about a one-on-one to let the landowner know you are just a regular guy and we all share the great places known as lakes and ponds (over 10 acres of course)?
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:30 AM   #3
ApS

Default Everybody's got to be somewhere...but...

I can only speak for this landowner, but our chief gripe in the late 80's and 90's was the short anchor line used by many boaters and the resulting dragging of our foot valve and water intake hither and yon: One of our neighbors floated a small white-flagged float over his foot valve.

What didn't help boaters' reputations was when mega amplifiers appeared on boats and we got to listen to their music. That said, there seem to be fewer mid-sized powerboats nowadays and many fewer "near-anchored" boats.

With all the empty McMansions, vacant cottages, places under construction, and empty lots for sale, why drop anchor in front of an obviously lived-in residence?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

And if you know of any land for $150K on the lake, let us all know! We would like to buy lots of it!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Kamper

Define: Harrassment.

For non-boat misbehavior the jurisdiction is the local land police. All the territory around the lake is in incorporated towns so the MP and State Police will refer you to them to file a report for non-emergency problems.

Many things are coverred under disturbing the peace but are hard to prove without witnesses. Other people who do witness inappropriate behavior may choose not to get involved though and will develop situational amnesia. A tape recorder or camcorder will help you to prove your complaint.

In the long run though you should choose your battles. You have a boat, it's a big lake. Do you really want to spend your time filling out police reports and going to court?

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Airwaves

Harrassment is hard to prove, need documentation, paper trail with local police, etc. What kind of harrassment did you have in mind?

Also, where did you find waterfront property on Winni for $300K?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Lake Fan

I would guess that law is in the same section as the one protecting landowners from harassment by boaters!
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Ken B

Look at this thread on flyfishinginnh.com

http://www.flyfishinginnh.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1170

That thread and an incedent yesterday that I had got me to thinking about what laws protect boaters from landowner harassment. I wouldn't even look at my case as harassment but it had the potential to turn ugly. I had young kids on board and that's what bothered me the most. But like one of you said...time is precious and it's a big lake so we'll just move along and find another corner to swim and relax.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Airwaves

HI Ken
I read the first page of the flyfishing forum you provided. If it were me, and I wanted to pursue this, I'd talk with the local police and invite an undercover officer on a fishing trip then head back into the cove with the officer on board when you know the gentleman in question will be there.

I assume that the suggestions of carrying a weapon or have an armarda of fishermen in the cove were in jest because that would hurt your case, not help it.

If the local police are interested as you say they are this may not be the first time they have had a complaint against this guy. Make the offer to have the detective join you, leave your 3 year old at home and let the cops handle it. (If the locals won't or can't go for one reason or another, liability comes to mind, maybe you know an officer who likes to fish from your home town, or someone elses? The testimoney of an off duty police officer is usually not disregarded by brother officiers)

Just my $.02
Old 07-30-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Ken B

I wasn't involved in the incedent posted on the flyfishing site but that's what got me to thinking about this issue. We had another great day on the lake today!

Boat safe.

Ken
Old 07-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
Airwaves

Okay, your post got our attention.

So, are you going to pursue this or let it go for someone else to deal with?

If you are not going to deal with it, or it didn't "involve" you, why did you post it?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #12
Joanna16

If you bought, built and live on the lake - by a boat too and become one of us.

Also anyway we can get a law passed prohibiting MP for harassing nice, legally achored boaters in Braun Bay. (Yes, they were there again on Saturday)
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
gravy boat

Default Suggestion

Sounds like something a few water balloons and a launcher could fix.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Sounds like a job for the Flatulator(tm) !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat
Sounds like something a few water balloons and a launcher could fix.
Or the Flatulator Plus(tm)! I can see it now, an arms race between boaters and home owners. A never ending spiral to get longer range and more accurate "throwers". Perhaps even self-guided, smart, smelly balloons (smell-a-loons). If I can get the Flatulator Plus(tm) into production before then, I'll be able to afford that McMansion afterall.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #15
Kevin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna16
:

Also anyway we can get a law passed prohibiting MP for harassing nice, legally achored boaters in Braun Bay. (Yes, they were there again on Saturday)
They were out Sunday as well in Braun Bay. Counted 2 MP Boats and 1 unmarked boat with 2 MP Officers Sunday afternoon. Boat next to us got cited for anchoring within 25 ft of another anchored boat.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Author Unknown.
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #16
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
I can see it now, an arms race between boaters and home owners.
Thats it, I'm going home tonight and mounting the potato guns on the beach! Death to all boaters!

Honestly, I'll never understand why some people have a problem with watching other people enjoying themselves. Its an awful big lake, one person can't use the whole thing at one time, so why bother someone else over it?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote