Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
jazzman

Default Generator noise on "powerless" islands

Does anyone know if constant generator noise is an issue on islands without power (Diamond Island to be exact)? For me, the big attraction to island living is peace and quiet. It would kind of ruin the plan if the people next door had 4 kids that needed power for all their electronic toys 24x7.

We live in a location that frequently loses power in the winter. Eventhough we're several 100 feet from any neighbor the drone of 8-10 generators gets very annoying after awhile.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Does anyone know if constant generator noise is an issue on islands without power (Diamond Island to be exact)? For me, the big attraction to island living is peace and quiet. It would kind of ruin the plan if the people next door had 4 kids that needed power for all their electronic toys 24x7.

We live in a location that frequently loses power in the winter. Eventhough we're several 100 feet from any neighbor the drone of 8-10 generators gets very annoying after awhile.
So are you currently on Diamond looking to rat someone out??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Island Girl

Default Looking for property

I think the guy is just looking to buy island property and wants to know about the noise.

My next door neighbor in MA ran a generator for days during a power outage. I got power in a day or so but he waited over a week. Even through there are trees separating our houses, I heard that hum all night. I could not complain as I had heat, lights and toys.

I have wondered the same thing about Diamond as well.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post

Are you presently at that location or are you thinking of purchasing there. Now for me the sound of my generator and my neighbors that have them, (which I can't hear) are the greatest sound one can hear during a long power outage especially when ones septic is a pump up system and you also need water. It is always there and if one is asleep you just listen for it and forget it and go back to sleep and not worry about a single thing and you'll still be able to make breakfast for everyone when you awake.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
CHSLTD

Default Rat?

DPG Does not sound like he is trying to "Rat Someone Out" He stated that it would ruin his "Plan"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
So are you currently on Diamond looking to rat someone out??
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Diamond Island

Back when they had the underwater lab, the island had electricity and phone. I remmember the cable over near Diamond Island landing. No electricity today?

Anyone who 'feeds' their kids electronic toys 24/7 while living on the lake should be hung by their toe nails! This is not lake living!
ApS (04-04-2013)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
jazzman

Nope, not ratting anyone out at all... Just considering buying a property on Diamond and wondering what people's experience is with generators on non-powered islands. I'd be plenty unhappy to live there and have to listen to generators running all the time. I didn't hear anything when I visited, but it wasn't exactly prime season either.

I do confess that I need a few gadgets from time to time, but my plan would be to have a generator charge a battery bank capable of running the little things for long periods of time without a generator and maybe try a solar panel or 2. I realize that most non-powered island people are probably going to sometime run a generator for their septic pump or hw heater and such from time to time.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Formula260SS

We are one of the last one's on Rattlesnake without power (just need to write the check) We use a Honda EU2000 that is very quiet. I've asked my neighbors if it bothers them and they say no (I tend to believe them). But, we do not run it 24/7, it runs a little in the morning, stays off for most of the day and runs after Dinner for a while. If anyone's running one of the Home Depot specials like we all have at home then they need to make the switch to Honda, worth every penny and 2000 watts will run everything needed on the Island.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
wifi

An extension cord to a powerless neighbor, while not able to handle a complete house, might ease the noise sometimes
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote