Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Running from Wednesday Sept 6 through Sunday Sept 10, the 19th annual J Jamboree Regatta which features great big, fast, sailboats will be going on out there! Not as big as the Winni Diver's two masted sailboat but still very big and very well con$tructed. Based at Fay's Boatyard or the Winnipesaukee Yacht Club or somewhere and holding races somewhere out there on the lake it could be worth a watch if there's some big wind.

Probably, this race does not draw too much from the Wal-Mart crowd so I'll be trying to blend. Maybe if I dig out that old blue blazer and the commodore's cap they won't notice my old Starcraft covered with paint. Hey, how come sail yachts are all built of fiberglass and not aluminum?

A J-80 sail jamboree link here would be nice!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Hey, how come sail yachts are all built of fiberglass and not aluminum?
You really need to get out more often...

http://www.aluminum.org/ANTemplate.c...ContentID=7099

Some info specific to the 84 foot aluminum monohull Adrien:

http://www.vdh.fr/GB/le_bateau/caracteristique.htm
Old 09-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Zeke

Default J-80 North Americans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Running from Wednesday Sept 6 through Sunday Sept 10, the 19th annual J Jamboree Regatta which features great big, fast, sailboats will be going on out there! Not as big as the Winni Diver's two masted sailboat but still very big and very well con$tructed. Based at Fay's Boatyard or the Winnipesaukee Yacht Club or somewhere and holding races somewhere out there on the lake it could be worth a watch if there's some big wind.

Probably, this race does not draw too much from the Wal-Mart crowd so I'll be trying to blend. Maybe if I dig out that old blue blazer and the commodore's cap they won't notice my old Starcraft covered with paint. Hey, how come sail yachts are all built of fiberglass and not aluminum?

A J-80 sail jamboree link here would be nice!
The races are actually the North American Championships, and will be drawing some of the better sailors in the country.
Less, no need for the blazer,sailboat sportboat racers tend to be teeshirt, rather than stuffed shirts types.
The races will be held in the broads, and the courses will be winward-leward couses. ( straight upwind, turn around, straight down wind) neat stuff to watch. If you want to watch, somewhere above and beyond the upwind mark is good, you won't be on the course and get to see the mark rounding where a good deal of action takes place as 30 boats coverge on one point, and tactical situations become very pronounced. Many of the racers are locals who are members of the J-80 fleet here on the lake, so cheer on the home team. Heres the link for more info.

http://www.j-jamboree.org/
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
ApS

While sailing in the Broads last week, I saw a bunch of J-80s being towed north individually.

One skipper moors a J-80 at different moorings near me each year, and is seen sailing in any kind of weather. I'm impressed by the speed of a J-80.

There were scant winds today, but the forecast for Saturday looks warm, and decent for wind—but it could get rainy.

Quote:
Partly cloudy in the morning...Then becoming mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 70s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50 percent.
'Won't stop me from watching!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #5
pmj

Those races are fun to watch. We were out sailing last evening and it was a beautiful site. Its amazing how these J boats can move in the lightest of winds. The boats are only 26 ft LOA ,I believe...not huge. And fatlazyless is right on, no blazers and commodore caps for these guys, they are tee shirt serious sailors!

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

J-boats are are really made for some kind of racing.My buddy in Gilford has one and they are fun.I'll be watching the races today as soon as I get out of the office.Yes,this PWC owner does love blow boats!