Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
jrc

Default Will Earl ruin next weekend or worse?

It looks like we should get at least rain from this storm. Any trustworthy source for track info this far out?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It looks like we should get at least rain from this storm. Any trustworthy source for track info this far out?
not that I am a weather guru, but we shoudl be ok for labor day weekend
Old 08-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
chipj29

I think we will be fine. The current projected track takes it out to sea east of Cape Cod. Being on the western side of a hurricane is a good thing as the worst of the winds and rain are typically on the east side.

At worst we might get some rain and winds on Saturday, but I don't see how that could ruin the long weekend.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Resident 2B

Quote:
Earl is forecast to come close enough to us Friday PM and be strong enough to warrent a close watch. It is way too early to pinpoint where it will go. It could be a great weather weekend, and it could be a weekend to remember weatherwise. Too soon to tell. Thursday morning is about as early as a real weekend forecast can be made.

I am guessing it brushes the Cape and we get a few showers Friday night, with a NW breeze on Saturday and Sunday, but this is just a guess.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 08-30-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added one more thought
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Meredith lady

Default rain?

the 10 day forecast predicts rain Thursday through Saturday. Sunday looks great. A bit early to say though...
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

According to the National Hurricane Center, the typical error in forecast track, 5 days in advance, is 200-300 miles. That is why they post the "cone of uncertainty." The "official" forecast track is always in the dead-center of that cone, but the cone represents a typical margin of error. It's all done by mathematics based on past situations, and the math is done by computers, which were built and programmed by humans. Hence, error.

Anyone along the New England coast should now be paying attention to weather forecasts.

One important thing to remember is that MOST hurricanes that hit New England are no worse than a spectacular nor'easter in wintertime. The difference is, hurricanes come at a time when the leaves are on the trees. Lots of rain soaks the ground, loosening tree roots. The trunks are full of water that they're drawing from the ground. The leaves act as sails, and the trees blow over.

The same trees, in a winter storm of equal magnitude, might find themselves frozen into the ground, dormant for the season (drawing no water into their trunks,) and with no leaves on the branches to act as sails. So they survive the winter wind.

Typical hurricane effects in New England: A lot of trees down, and possible road washouts -- very similar to what we had in the nor'easters of earlier this year -- that is what I might expect IF we got a more direct hit from Earl than is now expected.

We could certainly use the rain. The dryness of autumn brings increased wildfire risk to New England. This year's wildfire season is on track to have a bit more snap, crackle, and pop than usual, thanks to the very dry conditions we've had for quite a while now.

One effect I am pretty sure will happen, regardless: Summer, with its high water temps in the lake, will pretty much be done when Earl passes. That is because Earl's "whirlpool in the atmosphere" will draw down the autumn air from Canada into New England.

Remember how those Nor'easters pass, and as soon as the rain/snow stops, the wind suddenly starts howling out of the northwest as skies clear? I would expect that to be the case with Earl also, whether it goes off the coast or comes right into New England first.

There will be a Canadian cold front approaching from the west at the same time as Earl approaches from the south. The cold front may actually force Earl out to sea if it wins the race. Only time will tell.

In either case, the backside of Earl will be very similar to the backside of any winter storm: Winds start blowing out of the northwest, skies clear, temps plummet, the air dries out.... "Greetings from Canada" will then become our weather.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (08-31-2010), secondcurve (08-30-2010), trfour (08-30-2010)
Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
AC2717

say it is not so, I have family from FL coming up this weekend, they have not been up to my place, or the area for that matter almost over 10 years, I had all these plans.

Man they and I will be dissappointed
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
RailroadJoe

Appears to be on the same track as the hurricane of 1938.
I remember that one.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
jrc

Every time I look at the 5-day cone it moves west 50 miles, at this rate by Thursday it will be in Kansas.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Newbiesaukee

This one makes me nervous. But then after losing my home to Hurricane Andrew, my "nervous threshold" is pretty low.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
Resident 2B

Quote:
Every time I look at the 5-day cone it moves west 50 miles, at this rate by Thursday it will be in Kansas.
You are completely correct with this statement. That is what is concerning me.

Again, way too early to forecast impact in the Lakes Region, but something that must be watched very closely.

I would be very surprised if it went west of us, and as Chip said, the big winds are on the east side of the storm and the big rains are on the west side. However, at this point almost anything can happen, but it looks like it will either stay out at sea or landfall over outer Cape Cod.

Stay tuned!

R2B
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
jrc

Just for easy reference, this is the NOAA five day prediction. Looks like Friday in the middle of the night, as far west as the Vermont border, or well east in the Atlantic.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/grap...daynl#contents
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #13
trfour

Post I am Hoping For the best...

However, we will have to stay tuned to find out just what Mother Nature has in store for all of us! Could be another fine line!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
say it is not so, I have family from FL coming up this weekend, they have not been up to my place, or the area for that matter almost over 10 years, I had all these plans.

Man they and I will be dissappointed
Look at the bright side. Friday will not be a terrible day. If Earl does impact us, it will be with some rain and winday Friday night through Saturday. Sunday should be a spectacular day IMO.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #15
This'nThat

Default Someone's VERY happy about this

Well, the "cone of uncertainty" is now overlapping larger areas of the East Coast this morning, which is making a certain segment of our society very, very happy.
The TV weathermen!
I've not seen them get up this early and be this enthusiastic for quite a while now. They've even been using the "E" word -- evacuation. They're hoping to use the "EE" word by this evening -- Emergency Evacuation. Stay tuned, this may soon turn into 24 x 7 coverage, even if the storm misses us by several hundred miles.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
CanisLupusArctos

DO NOT BUY INTO MEDIA HYPE. Rather, know how to search for and find real information. Then learn as best you can to evaluate the information, to take seriously what you should, and to disregard anything that's just hype.

First, see my above post about hurricanes and Nor'easters being similar. The Blizzard of January 2005 triggered hurricane warnings along the New England coast. Since it was not a tropical-origin storm, they had to call it a "hurricane force wind warning." The red-and-black flags were flying at the coast, and the waves pounded over houses causing them to become encased in ice that protected them from wave damage thereafter. Back in February, we had 90 mph winds along the coast (60 mph inland) from a powerful nor'easter that did a lot of tree and powerline damage, as you may recall.

In other words, we shouldn't be strangers to this stuff. Just keep your eyes on it, and remember hurricanes (as opposed to winter versions of the same) hit our trees during the growing season when they are less able to withstand strong wind.

Currently, Earl is forecast to make its closest pass to New England -- just southeast of Cape Cod -- on Friday night and early Saturday morning. When it is in that position, winds would be blowing from the east or southeast over Maine and NH. The hurricane-force winds would be offshore, but tropical storm conditions could reach as far north and west as the NH seacoast.

However, this lake's shape -- surrounded by mountains on three sides and open to the southeast -- often allows winds blowing from the east or southeast to reach inland as far as Center Harbor. This proves true during seabreezes and also in coastal storms during the winter. The same will likely be true of Hurricane Earl.

The strongest winds from Earl will likely be during the overnight hours of Friday into Saturday, IF the current forecast track holds true. They would be from the southeast.

The other effect of Earl here in the lakes region will be to end this burst of summer weather and bring autumn conditions for most of the upcoming weekend. The approaching cold air mass has already overtaken the western states, bringing snow to the higher elevations and widespread frost in Nevada and Oregon. This is the same cold air mass that is likely to push Earl offshore.

Earl's vortex will help to draw the cold air toward the south and east, over New England. When Earl has passed -- regardless of the track it takes -- expect the winds on its backside to behave much like those on the backside of any passing nor'easter in wintertime: Winds will blow from the northwest and generate whitecaps on the lake, temperatures will drop (highs around 70 on Saturday) and the air will become dry.

As with the passage of any strong cold front, leftover moisture in the wake of Earl will leave the northern summits in the clouds with strong winds and wintry temperatures for a couple of days -- perhaps with snow, sleet, and rime ice. KEEP THIS IN MIND IF YOU HAVE PLANS FOR HIKING ABOVE TREELINE THIS WEEKEND.

IF YOU HAVE PLANS FOR BOATING ON SATURDAY... expect conditions to be like autumn: Gusty winds from the northwest will likely create whitecaps with 1-2 foot waves at the Center Harbor end, and perhaps 4-foot waves in The Broads.

This is an early prediction only, and a lot could change.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-31-2010), Newbiesaukee (08-31-2010), NoRegrets (09-03-2010), webmaster (08-31-2010), wifi (09-01-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
AC2717

I hope it changes for the better

time to get some more fire wood for outdoor camp fires
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
This is an early prediction only, and a lot could change.
CLA, your last sentence I believe says all that needs to be said.... at a Week out there is a great deal that can change.... People need to watch the weather, and use good judgment when thinking about plans for this coming weekend.

Personally I will be going to my favorite weather website daily through the end of the week, checking on Earl and the other things working around the area... My plan is actually not to be at the lake this weekend, I have everything as secure as I feel it needs to be. But through watching the weather and observations, and trusting my gut I will know if I need to seperate from my family and detour quickly to the lake.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
at a Week out there is a great deal that can change....

Earl is three days away. It's a meteorological race between Earl and the cold front (the leading edge of that cold air mass I was talking about.) The cold front is moving east & south from the upper plains, and the hurricane is moving north and west from the Puerto Rico area. The hurricane will speed up as it makes its northward turn. Which will get here first? At this point it's pretty similar to watching/betting on a horse race.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #20
This'nThat

Default Earl position & wind probability noon 31 Aug

If anyone is interested, here's the current predictions on Earl. A long way off, though, so things could change. But just to note -- the official discussions are indicating the track is leaning towards the west-most model -- meaning: closer to land.
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
SIKSUKR

Default My name is Earl

I didn't know how to use that line yet but needed to put it out there.

Wait a minute.

Standing in my parking lot selling parking spots at 95 degrees and a 65 degree dewpoint today,I'm hoping for something to come by and say "hi,my name is Earl,I've come to relieve you from this inferno".
Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
CanisLupusArctos

The current forecast track portrays a strong nor'easter for this area. A boat owner on Cape Cod should be thinking about moving his or her craft out of harm's way.

As for here: If this track is what happens, expect nor'easter conditions on Friday afternoon into Saturday. Fire departments would be busy with reports of branches and trees on wires, perhaps flooding issues depending on how wide the hurricane's rain area is. Expect the circulation to throw a lot of moisture inland from the ocean. Local topography will play a role in enhancing it in some places, blocking it in others -- just like in our winter storms.

A lot of the trees that this storm might topple (in this area) are those that have been pre-weakened by thunderstorms this summer, or by the nor'easters of earlier this year.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #23
Jonas Pilot

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
CanisLupusArctos

Latest models all show Earl making a re-curve out to sea without its eye ever touching the USA. It could still throw moisture inland from the ocean, as nor'easters do. Therefore I am still tracking this one as if it were a nor'easter and not a hurricane. I do see an interesting scenario with this "hurricane meets cold front over New England." Thinking: "Why can't we get something like this to happen in December? Just imagine..."
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Brief History of New England Hurricanes

I found this interesting. My Mom remembers the 1954 hurricanes Carol and Edna.

Just FYI...

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsmodu...ote&csid=Eeops

Carol was exactly 56 years ago today... I was 3 years old. Come to think of it, that would make me 59 now I think I'll go have a nap.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #26
john60ri

Default NE Hurricanes

One of my earliest memories is of my friends and I braving the winds of Hurricane Carol in 1954. I was 6 years old. And also Hurricane Edna, two weeks later. I believe these two storms caused the City of Providence to build the Fox Point Hurricane Barrier a few years later. The older folks around here used to say that the Hurricane of 1938 came roaring straight up Narragansett Bay, wreaking havoc all along the way. There were some amazing stories of survival that day.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john60ri For This Useful Post:
SteveA (08-31-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by john60ri View Post
One of my earliest memories is of my friends and I braving the winds of Hurricane Carol in 1954. I was 6 years old. ....
I was a little older for that one. I watched a lone pine tree in a field get blown by the winds until it was almost down. After the eye passed and the wind started from the opposite direction the tree was blown upright. Quite a sight.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #28
Lucky1

Quote:
You used "Will Earl ruin next weekend or worse?"

No
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #29
CanisLupusArctos

Hurricane Earl has lost 10 mph off its max sustained winds, but that's not saying much as the current winds are 125 mph. Gusts are higher. These winds are measured around the eye of the storm, which is expected to stay offshore. The current forecast track takes it along the path of every major nor'easter. IF this track proves true, expect similar effects from the system here in the lakes region. Winds would increase from the southeast on Friday afternoon and shift to east.

Friday night as the storm makes its closest pass (over the 40N / 70W "benchmark,") the winds would blow from the northeast. This direction, in the past, has resulted in localized effects at the lake. The Ossipees and Red Hill force northeast winds to flow between them, creating an enhanced 'wind tunnel' as they did during Tropical Storm Floyd's coastal pass in 1999. When winds blow from the northeast, Moultonborough tends to get less rain/snow than the rest of the area, thanks to being blocked by the Ossipees. Gilford and Alton often get more, as the Belknap Range adds a little extra lift to the weather, enhancing it.

The above paragraph is a hypothetical situation based on the current forecast track of Earl coming true. Obviously, things would be different if the storm made landfall on New England. So long as the track of the storm is to our south and east, regardless of how close, the storm's effects will evolve in the same order as any nor'easter, with a close pass bringing major effects and a farther pass bringing lesser effects.

In any case, there is some very autumn-like air on the way, and the hurricane will draw it into this area. Winds on the backside of Earl will blow from the northwest during the storm's departure on Saturday. Temperatures will drop on Saturday, and our current stretch of summer weather will end for the foreseeable future. After Earl, we'll see highs around 70 and overnight lows in the 40s.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (09-01-2010), Argie's Wife (09-01-2010), Newbiesaukee (09-01-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (09-01-2010), SteveA (09-01-2010), trfour (09-01-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
Argie's Wife

Canis - is there poor air quality today? If so, what's the cause? I feel like I'm trying to breathe cotton today and my asthma is super bad...rescue inhaler is not much help...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #31
Resident 2B

Default Earl Update

From the NHC:

AT 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...THE EYE OF HURRICANE EARL WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 25.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 72.7 WEST. EARL IS MOVING
TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 17 MPH...28 KM/HR...AND THIS MOTION IS
EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TODAY WITH A GRADUAL TURN TO THE NORTH ON
THURSDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CORE OF THE HURRICANE WILL
CONTINUE TO MOVE WELL EAST AND NORTHEAST OF THE BAHAMAS TODAY AND
TONIGHT...AND WILL APPROACH THE NORTH CAROLINA COAST BY LATE
THURSDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 125 MPH...205 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. EARL IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. HOWEVER...PRELIMINARY DATA FROM
AN AIR FORCE PLANE INDICATE THAT THE HURRICANE IS BEGINNING TO
STRENGTHEN AND EARL COULD AGAIN BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE
LATER TODAY.

EARL IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 90 MILES...150 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES...325 KM.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE
RECONNAISSANCE PLANE WAS 941 MB...27.79 INCHES.

The size of the storm is becoming a concern even with the current path. I agree with CLA that this will be like a nor'easter at the lake. But this is a big storm and the forecasted track continues to trend west. It is also looking like it will bend back towards the nne once it gets to us. This is somewhat unusual.

R2B
Old 09-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
Rose

Default EPA's AIRNow page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Canis - is there poor air quality today? If so, what's the cause? I feel like I'm trying to breathe cotton today and my asthma is super bad...rescue inhaler is not much help...
According to the EPA's AIRNow website, air quality is moderate where you are. It could be worse at your location. The heat and humidity are contributing to the air quality.

Here's the link to the website:

http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.main

Here's a link to a UNH/NOAA data site:

http://www.airmap.sr.unh.edu/AllSites

Sorry you're feeling poorly.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #33
CanisLupusArctos

Angie's Wife, the air quality is poor. Last couple days haven't brought much wind to move things around. Pollutants build up and don't go anywhere. We're not talking about the highly-publicized 'carbon,' but pollutants that we actually choke & gag on. Those have fallen out of the spotlight since carbon rose to fame, but they haven't stopped being a problem. Days like today, people with asthma will notice them.

The hurricane will help with that -- big time. Think of it as a giant exhaust fan and water hose combined. The air will be a lot cleaner after it passes.

R2B, I also have been watching the fluctuations in the models. I think it illustrates the fact that we as forecasters stray toward relying on them too much, and the general public (in turn) strays toward holding weather forecasts to 100% precision.

The main thing anyone should get out of any storm forecast is that there's a storm headed in our general direction. We need to be happy with that amount of warning, because it's all we have in 2010. It wasn't very long ago (just decades) that hurricanes at sea remained invisible to us until they were reported by ships. Same with all other weather. All this fancy technology has only been around since the 1960s when this lake first started becoming a popular place to build houses.

Prior to this current era, it was possible for hurricanes to sneak up on only 24-48 hours' notice. And now, just decades later, we fuss over the exact tracks of storms, several days in advance. A forecast (including my forecast) will always be based on an exact track, because it has to be based on something. It makes the most sense to base a forecast on the most likely scenario.

Just remember the weather doesn't follow the probabilities we assign to it; We base our probabilities on past weather. Although the weather repeats itself a lot, it's always doing something new somewhere, sometime, so weather forecasts will always have a margin of error. Always.

I'm sticking with a "nor'easter" evolution for this storm because the storm is expected to stay south & east of the lake. That means the wind will follow the same directions and patterns in the same order as with a nor'easter. Wind speed and precipitation intensity will be the variables depending on how close the track is.

We had some powerful nor'easters earlier this year, and the first part of this summer had a lot of thunderstorms. They always leave "unfinished work" in the trees. Every now and then throughout the summer, one of those weaker trees/limbs has just fallen on its own (or with the help of ants) --sometimes onto power lines. Sunny day power outages get annoying after a while, and it's not safe to passers-by who aren't anticipating a sudden falling tree. It usually takes a good storm like this (could be) in order to clean out the weaker/damaged trees.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-01-2010), Resident 2B (09-01-2010), Sunrise Point (09-01-2010), VtSteve (09-01-2010)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #34
OCDACTIVE

I think I am pulling my boat tomorrow.. Accuweather has winds up to 40mph. Not that bad but not worth risking it.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #35
Pontoon Goon

Default Thanks Canis

Every time I finish reading one of your posts I feel like I just got of class. A very interesting and well taught class. Thank You.
Pontoon G.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #36
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I think I am pulling my boat tomorrow.. Accuweather has winds up to 40mph. Not that bad but not worth risking it.
Yeah good call thinking I may pull my sailboat as well. Hope I can get it out in time cause I can't do a thing till friday morning.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #37
AC2717

Alright Canis and R2B

what are your latest forecasts
Old 09-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #38
SIKSUKR

Back to a cat 4 with 140 mph sustained winds. Looks like Earl will pass about 100 miles off Cape Cod. Wind there could reach hurricane force but it looks like a rapid drop off in winds as you move further inland. I don't see any real damaging weather from Earl in the lakes region. Certainly less than many of our recent nor'easter's.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #39
Resident 2B

Default Thoughts on Earl

The forecast is a tough one for the lakes region. I still like CLA's Nor'easter forecast, but it will be a short duration Nor'easter, somewhat intense for awhile.

This is what I believe we have. The track will be very close to Nantucket, within 30 miles to the east and perhaps closer. The storm will be moving fast and that will decrease the apparent winds on the left side (west) of the storm. The storm will be dying, which is likely to make it larger in size, more spread out than compact. There is one computer model that brings the center into eastern Long Island (the one in NY). If that model is correct, things here will be much worse, but most think that model is wrong.

The official track has the storm center passing 150 miles or so from the middle of the lake. That is good. I do not think we are going to see winds over 40 MPH, but I think we are in for a period of rain, perhaps an inch or two overall, maybe more. CLA is the man when it comes to local effects on precipitation that come from the mountains and terrain, and to his points on this, some will get more and some will get less.

I think the wind will be around longer on the back side of the storm, into Sunday with a strong NW breeze, white caps in the broads. This is good for some boats and not so good for others. The outside of Rattlesnake will be a bear this weekend.

The storm is still 36 hours out, so things can change a little, but have significant local impacts. IF, the storm jogs to the west and goes inside of Nantucket and over Cape Cod, this will cause a big impact there. For us, it will only mean more rain. Tropical weather is very local!

So, this is no Carol, but it is the strongest tropical storm we have had in this region in almost 20 years. Ninteen years ago, Bob cut through Cape Cod with significant damage there while the Boston area northward saw little damage. That was the last big tropical storm, and right now this one looks to be east of where Bob hit.

Stay tuned to the weather as things can change.

R2B
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #40
NoBozo

Default Update from RI (19:05)

This afternoon (~16:30) the temp dropped 10 degrees and the breese went to the SW. There has been NO breese the last four days and it has been HOT. (90+) This is a good sign for us. We've done everything we can to Batten Down. BOB was the last storm to really affect us..and we only lost an old tree that was rotten anyhow. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #41
jrc

OK, I just made an extra two and a half hour round trip, on top of my normal one hour work commute.

My wife says I didn't need to do it, but I had to put out all the fenders, retie all the lines and add a few extras. I also put some line across the canvas, just in case. I'll feel less nervous now, especially if I don't get up there tomorrow before it hits.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #42
fatlazyless

The lakes region definately could use some rain! June, July, and August of 2010 are unofficially the hottest and driest three summer months in recorded New Hampshire weather history, having been hotter than either 1966 or 1988. Need to see this weather factoid printed in the Laconia Citizen to really believe it....ayuh!

The Pemigewasett and Mad Rivers are so low they look more like a rocky or sandy road than a river!

Good time to do a little rain dance here for an honest one inch of rainfall......so lets hit it rain gods!...........let it rain!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #43
trfour

Thumbs up Stay Tuned For CLA's Updates On Earl...

Whenever the weather gets rough around here, Our very own CLA gets tougher! He always knows what he's talking about for the Lakes Region!!

Also, here's the latest info from the weather channel...

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...arl_2010-08-23

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #44
ApS

Question Leanin' Tree...

New Hampshire writer Mark Steyn was a stand-in on a WGIR Rochester talk-radio program, and was discussing Hurricane Earl with a writer on weather interests. The writer mentioned that trees in New England lean to the Southeast!

That's true on my lots, and it's clearly obvious at the Marriott Compound, at Tuftonboro Neck.

Somehow, I don't think this is an urban myth.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #45
CanisLupusArctos

Today has been a day of watching the storm track, to see exactly when it would make its turn back out to sea. The question of where it would go after Hatteras was hard to answer because it wasn't clear whether or not it would hit Hatteras. Had it done so, a more coast-hugging track would have been likely thereafter.

That turn has now happened. The 11 pm NHC advisory on Earl shows the storm's track now toward the north-northeast at 18 mph. It's cruising right along and will continue to speed up.

Models now keep it entirely offshore, or perhaps clipping Nantucket on its way to Nova Scotia. Looks like it is also weakening as the weather system to our west starts to mess around with it (shear.) It's losing strength.

If the current NHC 'official' track holds true, we'll get very little from Earl here at the lake, while the seacoast of NH gets a typical nor'easter.

As R2B mentioned, this system will be much faster moving than a typical nor'easter, too. To Earl we'll be saying "Hello-Goodbye."

I'm not as excited about this storm as I was earlier today. It has made the turn, without hitting Hatteras first.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:27 PM   #46
Resident 2B

Default Farther East!

In total agreement with CLA!

I checked out the 11 PM NHC forecast discussion, watched the satellite loop and a few of the latest computer model tracks and I am now 96% certain that Earl will be 75 miles or more east of Nantucket with a more easterly vector than I had expected. This is 50+ miles farther away than I thought it would be 12 hours ago. Looks like a minor event for us.

I still think the NW winds will blow some on Saturday, but overall the weekend should be pretty good. It might be a bit rough in the broads, but nothing noteworthy. Maybe a shower or two early Saturday morning.

Sorry FLL....that dance of yours scared Earl away. Keep trying, your intentions were good!

R2B
Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #47
Island Girl

Default Winds

It is good that the storm turned and has weakened. However, what does this all mean for tomorrow evening and through the night?

The forecast earlier was for up to 40 mph through the night. This could be quite dangerous on the Broads side of Rattlesnake. I would like to know what the winds (and any rain) will be?

It is a beautiful night out here tonight.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #48
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Don't blame me...

CLA had to go and mention the song... now it's stuck in my head.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2S7kKLtEQ
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #49
Belmont Resident

Default Hate 2 say it but I wish it would.

Our well is running dry. Yesterday I had to shut the pump off and let the well recover. The lakes and rivers seem to be weathering the drought but the water table is dropping without being noticed.
Site work contractors are saying they have never seen the dirt so bone dry so deep down in the ground as this year. We really need the rain holiday or not.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #50
ClosetExtrovert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Our well is running dry. Yesterday I had to shut the pump off and let the well recover. The lakes and rivers seem to be weathering the drought but the water table is dropping without being noticed.
Site work contractors are saying they have never seen the dirt so bone dry so deep down in the ground as this year. We really need the rain holiday or not.
I know. And walking across the lawn is like stepping on cornflakes.
What are you going to do about your well?
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #51
AC2717

Bring on the Rain, just make it Monday evening and on till Friday morning. That is fine with me
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #52
ClosetExtrovert

Default Earl's a bust

We're right in it's path and we have a local forecast of 30% chance of rain. So much hype!
ClosetExtrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #53
CanisLupusArctos

ClosetExtrovert, agreed. Hurricane Earl is fizzling. Quickly. The people on the mainstream TV networks are still trying to push it. The politicians are still trying to "do all they can" for us. But in the background of it all, the sattellite and radar imagery of Hurricane Earl is looking less and less impressive with time.

Here at the lake, what was forecast to be Earl's storm day has turned into an extra, unplanned beach day. It's in the 80s with dewpoint near 70. Light winds. Great swimming. Water temp 82. Not as hot as yesterday but it sure is humid.

People on Cape Cod are about to get a nor'easter like what we had last winter. The max sustained winds in Earl are now comparable to the nor'easter we had in late February. And it's weakening. And it's moving very quickly.

Today is a beach day. Tonight we'll have some weather going through. If you didn't know it was from a tropical system, you probably wouldn't guess. Tomorrow the transition occurs, as that cold front goes through: Warmer in the morning (get your swimming in, then) and turning cooler and drier with a northwest breeze in the afternoon.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #54
Argie's Wife

...and here I was looking forward to a Hurricane Party... I haven't had a good one in a while now...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #55
CanisLupusArctos

Putting this thread's original topic to bed, it appears 100 percent likely that the answer to the question is "no."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
SteveA (09-04-2010), trfour (09-04-2010), webmaster (09-04-2010)
Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I think we will be fine. The current projected track takes it out to sea east of Cape Cod. Being on the western side of a hurricane is a good thing as the worst of the winds and rain are typically on the east side.

At worst we might get some rain and winds on Saturday, but I don't see how that could ruin the long weekend.
Imagine that, aside from the timing, I was mostly right. Hardly got any rain here, and it is a bit breezy today. But it is gorgeous out there today!
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #57
ApS

Cool Unrestricted Moth-Class Sailboat...Winnipesaukee's "e-PFD"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Imagine that, aside from the timing, I was mostly right. Hardly got any rain here, and it is a bit breezy today. But it is gorgeous out there today!
That "breeze" had most boats at odd angles on the water—spray was the order of the day.

A neighbor who struggles with a "development-class" of sailboat couldn't keep it upright all afternoon. Though it looks fast even while capsized on these waters, it is the only boat whose operation I could term "aerobics".

These are two International Moth examples, which are successfully upright and racing each other in Sweden.

But everyone saw just one very-soaked example here—and we saw it "enjoyed" for only a few seconds at any one time :

While upright, it's transparent plastic sail produced a 72 square foot "flash" from the Sun. Within our protected waters, "rescue" had flashed through the minds of everyone watching—as neither sailboat nor skipper was upright for very long.

In yesterday's super-rollers, whitecaps, and spray...not-so-much could it be called "sailing".

I would have termed it, "swimming with an expensive Personal Flotation Device".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #58
KonaChick

It appears as if Earl has settled right over the lake! Crazy weather these last two days and looks like we won't be taking the boat out this weekend
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #59
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
It appears as if Earl has settled right over the lake! Crazy weather these last two days and looks like we won't be taking the boat out this weekend
The system once named Earl is no longer on the weathermap. The wind of the last 24 hours is part of the Canadian cold air mass that nudged Earl out to sea.

Mount Washington is now 36 degrees with a wind chill of 20. The highest we've been today is 68 degrees with dewpoint in the 40s. Out west, part of Montana has a winter weather advisory and freeze warnings are in effect for parts of California, Nevada, and Oregon.

This blast of Canadian air has been generating some damage around the lakes region. The last 24 hours have brought reports of trees on houses and on occupied cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Nagigator (09-05-2010)