Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Diesel fuel availability

In the Gilford area, anybody have a source for diesel fuel? I understand Stafford no longer wishes to pump from their truck to a boat that is in the water. They cited (I called today) Department of Environmental Services and their insurance carrier as being causative factors.

I know Y Landing sells diesel, but it seems like there is a huge markup as they have no apparent competition.

Anybody aware of anybody else, or anybody that might be selling diesel in the future?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
HellRaZoR004

Certainly not much out there for diesel. What do owners with diesel engines do today? I've been contemplating a diesel but not sure if there's too many limitations.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Diesel experience

Earlier this season, I had a call from MVYC. They had a truck coming to do a delivery and were notifying all the diesel folks at MVYC. I had just filled up, so I did not participate. I don't know what the price was or if there was a minimum purchase. Now that it's been done I guess I'll have to ask how it worked out.

When I was first looking at diesel, I eliminated boats that had small tanks as truck deliveries then wanted a minimum 100 gallon sale and I had to have some capacity over that for a safety margin. The folks at Y Landing are nice, but the price is a little high. No minimum.

I think Fay's carries a little, but aimed at small sailboat auxiliary engines, not powerboats.

I have one friend who puts a tank in the back of his truck, fills it on the road and then runs it to his boat. Same set up you see at construction sites for diesel heavy equipment.

Overall, I think the diesels were a good buy. Minimal maintenance except oil changes, none of the electrical stuff that goes wrong with gasoline engines. Safety is superior with diesel as is reliability. Of course, upfront cost is higher if you're buying new, but not so bad on a boat that's a few years old, and high engine hours are not a big concern compared to gasoline.

Catch me at my dock; we'll go for a ride.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (08-04-2016)