Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Lkin

Default NH registration

So. I live in massachusetts, have a vacation house in NH, bought a boat that will be kept in a marina on winnipesaukee. Can i register it in NH, or does it need to be registered in my home state?

LC

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
Red apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post
So. I live in massachusetts, have a vacation house in NH, bought a boat that will be kept in a marina on winnipesaukee. Can i register it in NH, or does it need to be registered in my home state?

LC

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
If its just used in NH then just a NH registration is needed.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Register it in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkin View Post

LC
Yes, if you are going to keep the boat in NH it should have a NH boat registration. Even if you live in MA. You can use your MA address but get the NH registration.

There are rules for out-of-staters using their boats in NH.
You would be OK with a MA boat reg IF you only used the boat in NH for a few weeks of vacation or some weekends. If you keep and use it only in NH it needs a NH registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Boating Regulations Registering Your Vessel

You must have a New Hampshire Certificate of Registration and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters in New Hampshire. This includes motorboats of any size (including those with electric motors) and sailboats or sailboards 12 feet in length or longer. The only exceptions are:

Sailboats and sailboards under 12 feet in length
Other small, non-motorized vessels such as canoes and kayaks

Vessels registered in other states using New Hampshire waters for 30 or fewer consecutive days
Vessels owned or operated by the U.S. government

The Certificate of Registration must be on board and available for inspection by an enforcement officer whenever the vessel is operated.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
cottonwood

Default NH Registration

You can register your boat in NH. We are out of state residents but have a home in Gilford and keep our boat on the lake full-time. If you want to register a tralior, in order to do it in NH you must agree it will reside in NH. I'm not certain of the exact rule, but last year I believe it could not leave the state for more than 7 days.
If you register and purchase in NH you also do not have to pay the MA sales tax.

Good luck with your new boat and if anyone else has up-dated information, I'm sure they will post.
cottonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood View Post
You can register your boat in NH. We are out of state residents but have a home in Gilford and keep our boat on the lake full-time. If you want to register a tralior, in order to do it in NH you must agree it will reside in NH. I'm not certain of the exact rule, but last year I believe it could not leave the state for more than 7 days.
If you register and purchase in NH you also do not have to pay the MA sales tax.

Good luck with your new boat and if anyone else has up-dated information, I'm sure they will post.
last year when I renewed my trailer reg, they changed the rule that it must now always stay in NH and never leave the state, which is fine with me it does not, but honestly how could they keep track at that, unless they put police at the boarders watching trailer plates that come into the state
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Denny Crane

Default Boat Registration

Gotta love NH. If you own a second home in NH and pay taxes it does not qualify you to pay the less expensive resident snowmobile or atv registrations, but you must register your boat in NH. For this reason I do not register my MA boat in NH and use the 28 days(I think) on the water in NH and trailer my boat. Whose keeping track of which 28 days and who's counting I don't care!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
John A. Birdsall

Default registration

My runabout used to be registered in CT. The rule at that time and I think it is the same, is that the boat had to leave the state after a 30 day period in order to maintain the registration. I have for at least the last 10 years reg. it in NH. mainly because the boat stays in NH. Pontoon boat does not have a trailer, but shore would like one for a 24' one. Hint Hint.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
hancoveguy

Did I read somewhere on here that a Mass resident could register a boat trailer in Nh if it never left NH? I am a seasonal property owner, May1 - Oct28...

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Did I read somewhere on here that a Mass resident could register a boat trailer in Nh if it never left NH? I am a seasonal property owner, May1 - Oct28...

HCG
I live in MA but my trailer and boat have never left NH. My insurance agent told me I had to register the trailer in MA because the its policy is tied somehow to my truck's policy.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
John E

A boat can be registered in NH as long as it is used in NH for half of it's use. That is specifically what was stated to me at the DMV when I registered my boat in NH in '08. I live in MA and trailer the boat. I have not idea how they could ever enforce such a policy, obviously they can't. It must be some sort of legality.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Knomad

You must have a New Hampshire Certificate of Registration and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters in New Hampshire. This includes motorboats of any size (including those with electric motors) and sailboats or sailboards 12 feet in length or longer.

The only exceptions are:
  • Sailboats and sailboards under 12 feet in length
  • Other small, non-motorized vessels such as canoes and kayaks
  • Vessels registered in other states using New Hampshire waters for 30 or fewer consecutive days
  • Vessels owned or operated by the U.S. government
Therefore, if you use your boat for 31 consecutive days or more on NH waters, you must have a NH registration for that boat.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote