Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Outlaw

Thumbs up Vessel Safety Checks July 24th

Just to let everyone know - Vessel Safety Checks will be performed this Saturday, July 24th at the following by the Lakes Region Power Squadron:

July 24th - Town Docks (Wolfeboro, Alton Bay, Weirs Beach, Meredith)
July 24th - Winnisquam @ Adams Marina AND Winnisquam Marine
July 24th - Squam @ Riveredge Marina AND Squam Boat Livery, Holderness
July 24th - Newfound Lake @ Newfound Marina, Hebron
July 24th - Ossipee Lake @ Ossipee Marina

These are voluntary, free, and completely confidential. If for whatever reason your vessel did not pass the check, you are given the inspection report which can be used to obtain (typically 10%) discount at most of the marinas on the lake to purchase the items which were missing or failed. This does not cover the cost of labor. If you return to any Vessel Safety check point, or call the Vessel Examiner (their number is on the form) and have the check done again with 24 hours, there will be no need to start the check from the beginning - only the items which failed need be checked. After 24 hours, a new check will need to be conducted - which should not be an issue since you had already rectified the failed items. Hope to see lots of the locals and vacationers at the check points this Saturday. It only takes about 15 minutes and that is such an insignificant amount of time to make sure that you and all your passengers, adults and children are boating safe and we can reduce the number of rescue / recover calls to Marine Patrol and the Fire Department.

Look for the Vessel Examiner - they are the ones in the RED polo shirts.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

thanks for the info, outlaw.

What is the time frame for these checks (9-4, 10-2, ????)?

That info may help folks plan their day around the checks.
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
Outlaw

Default Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
thanks for the info, outlaw.

What is the time frame for these checks (9-4, 10-2, ????)?

That info may help folks plan their day around the checks.
Ooops I thought I remembered to cover everything - guess not. Thank you upthesaukee for pointing this out.

The VSC's are 8 AM to 4 PM. If it's not a busy day they usually end around 3PM. Best try to get ther before 3PM if you can. If you can't you can always contact me direcetly (via private email) and I will be more than happy to come to you and your boat to do a VSC.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:29 PM   #4
CableBob

Default Just do it

I had an inspection about 3/4 years ago.
It was quick and painless, I wanted to know that if I got pulled over by MP I was covered.

O.K. so one of my life perservers had a fryed cloth and failed.

If it's a hot day put an extra water bottle in your cooler for the inspectors !!
CableBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #5
Coastal Laker

Default If you get stopped by the MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CableBob
I had an inspection about 3/4 years ago.
It was quick and painless, I wanted to know that if I got pulled over by MP I was covered.
The Vessel Safety Check (VSC) is not a "get out of jail free" card so-to-speak. It indicates that your vessel met the federal and state requirements for safety at the date and time the VSC was conducted. You could very well leave the dock and be in violation ten minutes later (although that may be unlikely).

If you get stopped by the marine patrol, they will likely make a mental note that you care enough about safety to have had the check done, but will probably ask you to produce evidence that you are still in compliance.

Having the Vessel Safety Check completed and the decal displayed is a sign for others that you have made an effort to make safety a priority.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links