Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Long Pine

Default A real long-shot

OK, this is admittedly a long shot, but knowing how helpful Forum members have been, I thought I would try. I have some friends coming to visit next week who have visited us in prior years. The difference this year is that their 17 year-old daughter had a tragic sledding accident this past winter that left her permanently paralyzed from the waist down. I want to make her visit as special as possible. She loves the lake, loves swimming, and is extremely athletic. I'm sure she will be game for tubing since she has great upper body strength. What I'm wondering is whether there is anyone on the lake who has a sit-ski we might rent so that she could also try adaptive water-skiiing. These contraptions are pretty clever from the videos I have seen and I think she would love it. They are also very expensive to buy (over $1000), so I was wondering if there was any chance that a Forum member might have one that I could rent for one or more days next week (7/26-7/29). Parafunalia has air chairs (hydrofoils) to rent, but I think that may be a bit too difficult for her to master given no use of her legs and the short time she would have to master it. Sit-skis are something different that were specifically designed for those with limited use of their legs. Admittedly a long shot but I thought I would try. Thanks.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
eillac@dow

Default What a good friend you are....

You are such a good friend...thinking this way. Trying to make this girls time so enjoyable.

I wish I could help you, but cannot. But I am sure someone out there will offer something or recommendations of where to find what you are looking for.

I hope you all have a wonderful week.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-19-2010), jack1706 (07-20-2010), Long Pine (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Long Pine

Thanks eillac. If you only knew how special this girl is and what an incredibly positive outlook on life she has despite her circumstances you would be amazed too. You can imagine where a teenage girl's mind would go after a tragic accident like this, yet she is unbelievably positive and has been an inspiration to her entire community. I can't wait for their visit. Thanks for your words of support.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sit ski.

I think sport paraphenalia rents one. Call ahead and reserve it.

Does she snow ski? Waterville Valley and Loon Mtn have an excellent paraplegic program. Check it out.

The reason why I am active in these programs is that I am profound hard of hearing. I volunteer as much as I can to help others. The highlight of the ski program is the war vets from the veteran hospital coming up to try skiing for the first time. Priceless.
Long Pine (07-19-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Kerk

Smile Water Ski / Board lessons.

I thought I saw an add for someone providing lessons and all the equipment to teach someone to do water boarding/ skiing etc. but a senior moment has me forgetting where it was. Might try the Dive shop as they may know. Just a suggestion.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Try EKAL Excursions.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Try these folks...

I've been in the wheelchair biz for 30 plus years. These are some of the nicest folks you could ever meet. They are based out of University of NH.

http://www.nepassage.org/

First rate and a very good resource for kids that face the challenges of adaptive sports, and recreation.

Quick story to illustrate. The boss and I have a family friend who is an amazing young man that uses a wheelchair permanently. The team at Northeast Passage was able to find us a guy with a hot air balloon that had a basket with a door! For his 13th birthday we were able to take him on a hot air balloon ride!

You'll find all sorts of programs in New Hampshire at this site.

http://www.usatechguide.org/techguid...de=1&catid=453

Nice thing you're doing!!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
jack1706

She sounds like an amazing person as her family must be also.

Next week will be great weather and I truly hope she has a fantastic time.

Sounds like SHE will make sure she does !! Such an Inspiration !!

You are lucky to know such wonderful people... my best....

I'm sure the great people from NH will help !!!!
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Long Pine

My thanks to everyone and especially to SteveA for connecting me with Northeast Passage. I spoke with someone there this morning who was extremely helpful. She took the time to ask a lot of questions on the specific injury and mobility situation of my friend so that she could make the best recommendation. As I learned, there is a lot more to assuring a good experience than just renting the sit ski equipment (safety equipment, fit, advice on technique, etc.). What she wound up recommending was meeting with the Northeast Passage staff at a lake in Barrington where they will fit her with the equipment, teach her how to use it, and give her a couple runs behind their boat. Then, if she likes it, we can rent the equipment for the balance of the week they will be visiting knowing that it fits properly and that she has been properly instructed in how to use it. What a great program. Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and your support. The Forum once again proved to be a great resource.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
RailroadJoe

Northeast Passage can also get her into skiing, sled hockey, bicycling and other handicap sports. My grandson loves their tennis school.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote