Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
jr616

Default Cpt Bonehead from RI

Or at least his boat was from RI.

This particular boater came out of Center Harbor at full speed next to us by about 5 feet. That's legal right??

If you are coming here please learn the boating laws.
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
MJM

I was of the mindset that things were getting better....until this past weekend, that is!
THREE different Capt Boneheads ignoring what I consider to be a very basic rule - who is stand-on and who is give-way.

#1 was off Sewall Point. I was to his starboard, so therefore I have R.O.W. He did yield, but came within maybe 25ft of my stern as I crossed his would-be path. Annoying, but at least he yielded, I suppose.

#2 was near the entrance to Minge Cove. Again, I was to his starboard. He never so much as touched his throttle or course. Absolutely would've been a t-bone collision had I not slowed. I blew my airhorn and got a look of "what's your problem??" from Capt Bonehead.

#3 Was near Parker Island. I have no idea whether this guy knows the rules or not, BECAUSE HE NEVER SAW ME!!! I saw him/our pending intersection a good 3-4 minutes out. Watching....watching...closer...closer....I throttle back....all I can see is Bonehead's BACK. He is standing, right hand draped over the wheel, completely facing his passengers! I really don't think he ever knew I was there...he was chatting away, pointing out things on shore, etc., completely oblivious to what was happening ahead/to starboard of him.

Sigh.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Ryan

I continue to maintain there needs to be more MP presence - especially near the entrance to the Weirs Channel. One or two MP boats could have a field day writing tickets for the plethora of infractions that take place both coming and going from the channel. Some of the fines would help to replenish the MP fund that was gutted by the legislature.

Saturday, we were approaching the entrance to the channel and had a boat off our starboard about 200ft. A Capt'n B gets up on plane and passes right between us. At least he waved. With the wind and boat traffic, it wasn't exactly calm and smooth (not that this matters).

To date, I have seen TWO MP boats on the lake this year.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Seaplane Pilot

Winnfabs got it all wrong - definitely barked up the wrong tree. And for that matter, the Reps and Senators were too ignorant to take the time to investigate the real problems. Sorry, too late now.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The Marine Patrol is out there as much as they can be. I have a keen eye for them and watch for them every time I go out. The problem is the lake is big, and I have to imagine the number of officers is down tremendously. Also with the Marine Patrol Budget lacking, fuel the boats with gas prices where they are also probably has an effect on how many boats go out on a given day.

They are working hard and are out there, just remember they can't catch everyone.

Having talked to the Marine Patrol a few time this year about various things, if you see someone doing something repetitively in the same location, call them, try and have the bow numbers and the best description of the boat as possible.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
MJM

Default Video Evidence?

Can/would anything be done if shown on video?

I often think I should keep my video camera handy, take video of the infractions (clearly showing bow#s), and send the video to MP.

Can they legally do anything?
Would they?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post

I often think I should keep my video camera handy, take video of the infractions (clearly showing bow#s), and send the video to MP.

Would they?
That is a question to bring to the Marine Patrol... they have a help desk send them an email...
Old 07-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:

Would they?
I think that the MP can do little for a minor infraction if it were presented to them, though they may use it if it were regarding an accident, etc.

The problem with video is that the chain of custody needs to be maintained. Digital surveillance systems "stamp" video in certain ways so that the courts can tell it has not been tampered with.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
masssteve

There to busy hanging around Braun bay and Little Bear. Giving out tickets to mostly residents and boaters that mostly know what there doing. There aren't to many vacationers and weekenders that make there way up that part of lake so why hang around there? They should stay were most of the trouble is right? But I never see them when you need them to be there.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
streetertina

Default Have seen many MP

We saw 2 MP sitting at the entrance to the Weirs Channel this weekend. The lake was very busy. We have seen a huge presence of MP on the lake this year. They can not be every where at once.
streetertina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
MJM

Default R.O.W Again!

Not involving me this time, but we watched it happen....unreal.

Off Steamboat/Birch Islands Sat 7/24 early afternoon.

Two boats....headed for a collision...almost 90 degrees from each other....the Stand On boat was the one that finally had to stop, while the one who was the Giveway boat never even slowed. SOoooo frustrating.

What is happening this summer? This is one of the most basic rules, and I keep seeing it being ignored. Scary.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Weirs Channel

Yesterday around 12:30 in the afternoon two boneheads were traveling at above wake speed through the channel from Paugus. One had NH bow number and the other had MS. Everyone was cursing at them. One did slow down after passing a Fountain as the Fountain swerve toward him forcing him to slow down. The other kept going and ignored everyone. Both were bowriders loaded with family and tube.

Friday, I saw one MP boat cruising through Weirs channel toward the end of the day. Probably checking out the boats for the Weirs fire works.

Saturday, I saw one MP boat at the Lake entrance to the Weirs Channel near sunset.

I use to see them everywhere. Now it is about once a day.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
...........Saturday, I saw one MP boat at the Lake entrance to the Weirs Channel near sunset.

I use to see them everywhere. Now it is about once a day.

I agree, seems to be fewer and fewer MP these days.....
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
dog paw

Unfortunantly in the few years that I have been spending time on Winnipesaukee I can safely say the weekend warrior issue is getting worse. But as bad as it might be its ten times that on other lakes. I dunno if there is a answer.... The caliber of Boneheads I'm used to would not last 2 hours on Winni, the rocks would get em before they could be a menace LOL!

This past week we saw a MP every time we went out. In fact, had a moron strong arm the right of way from me right in front of one. Those new boats the MP's have do a takedown pretty well Talk about not checking your surroundings before doing something stupid....

Anyhow had a wonderful week, burnt up 50 gal or so of irreplaceable fossile fuel in the Sea Doos and enjoyed every minute of it Looking foward to next time.
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Winnipesaukee

I like to use the channel due north of Eagle to avoid the NWZ. A lot of the time I'll be coming from the Weirs and will have to give way to somebody coming from the Meredith area (off my port side) who won't give way to me.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #16
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Probably not but ...

Quote:

Would they?
Legally, naaah ... but you could post it here on Winni.com and then "we" could have a blast tearing Capt B a new one. It might not solve anything but at least it would be fun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
Pontoon Goon (07-28-2010), Rattlesnake Guy (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #17
VtSteve

Default Sounds like back to normal

Lots of boats, boneheads, and lack of enforcement.

I wonder if some of the major boneheads were in decision-making positions over the MP budget?

Where are all those that felt especially "Safe" last summer? Inquiring minds want to know
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-28-2010), OCDACTIVE (07-28-2010), Ryan (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #18
Lakegeezer

While at Meredith last weekend for the antique boat show, the dog we were walking needed to cool off its paws at the ramp. I couldn't help but wonder why the most prominent sign there informs guest boaters about a speed limit, but nothing (that I noticed) about the 150 foot separation rule. We are not teaching the Captain B's the most important rule on the lake. Who ever bought those signs missed an opportunity to promote safety with just another line of text.
Rattlesnake Guy (07-28-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
steadyon

It's just too damn bad! Squam lake is getting worse as well. Unfortunately there is not much we can do except to keep a watchful eye out for them.
I like the video idea, but you probably could not get the bow #.
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote