Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Long Pine

Default Tubing Where Others Are Skiing

Today I was pulling the kids tubing and on my second or third pass by a ski boat in about 30-40 minutes, a guy in the ski boat waved his arms at me in what looked like a show of frustration. I slowed down and pulled along side him to see what he was trying to tell me. He very politely let me know that when he pulls tubers, he tries to stay away from areas where people are skiing, since they generally prefer not to deal with the additional waves that a tubing boat creates by going back-and-forth rather than straight. Of course, he was absolutely right that it would have been considerate of me to find another part of the lake where people weren't skiing. Since I am not a skiier, I just wasn't thinking from his perspective. I have been boating on the lake for several years but I guess have generally been pulling tubers in areas where several others were as well (and therefore skiiers were not there). I post this both as a mea culpa, and as a reminder to people pulling tubers to alert them to the skiier's perspective, and as a reminder to skiiers that all tubers are not trying to be jerks, but just may not be aware of the impact they are having on skiing conditions. My thanks also to the boater who chose to be polite and constructive rather than obnoxious in expressing his dissatisfaction (even though he may have been upset).
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Long Pine For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-23-2010), Dave R (07-16-2010), Gatto Nero (07-19-2010), GsChinadoll (07-23-2010), gtagrip (07-23-2010), livefreeordie (07-25-2010), Merrymeeting (07-18-2010), Misty Blue (07-18-2010), OCDACTIVE (07-25-2010), SAUGUS BOATER (07-18-2010), VtSteve (07-17-2010), XCR-700 (07-16-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
ApS

Cool Sez Me...

I read this post earlier this morning, and had nothing to add—earlier this morning

A couple of hours ago, a boat pulling tubers passed my sailboat—all the while looking concerned. (While looking directly at me). After he had gone by, an immense, steep, wake approached. I had to release the main and turn my boat sideways to keep from submarining and "filling-up" with his wake. It was quite the ride, all of it violent and vertical—especially as it was pretty windy at the time.

Now, my area has both skiers and tubers, but the serious skiers are "morning people". There's no accommodating both activities after 10AM on weekends. In any event, I think it's more a function of boat size.

This morning's boat (with the huge wake) was about 26-feet long: That's too big for tubing in protected waters—IMHO. For boats over 22', there's plenty of bumpy-water for tubing in The Broads.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

While I agree that you need to show consideration when doing anything on the water, I don't know that it is fair to "block off" a section of the lake for skiing only unless it is a sanctioned event. The spots that are good for skiing are good for tubing.

I know that if I want to get some real good skiing in, I should be out there at 7 AM or so. I can't expect the lake to be calm any other time on weekends. I can't remember the last time I saw a tuber out at that time of morning but I see plenty of Mastercrafts pulling skiers.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
VtSteve

My favorite way to ski was in rougher water. My dad had a very willing friend in a fast (for then) Highliner. He'd tow me until I dropped. From Pitchwood or the Neck, out and around Rattlesnake, and back again. He'd plow through the Doris and Sophie wakes whenever he could, onward to cruiser wakes, and through the rougher areas of the broads.

I wasn't even aware of the new age of finicky, calm-water perfect wake skiers until the 90's. Gave me lots more skiing time, as they waited for pristine calmer waters
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
tummyman

While I agree that we all must make allowances and accommodations for everyone, sometimes the skiing/tubing gets so out of control, my grandchildren cannot even swim or stand on our shorefront. It is especially concerning when the people who want to anchor for a day come into our cove with a very high bow plane and create such huge waves that my boat has almost come off my dock. Lets all start to think and try to be considerate of all situations, not just the one you are involved in.

Last edited by tummyman; 07-18-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: left out a word in typing
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Pine View Post
Since I am not a skiier, I just wasn't thinking from his perspective. I have been boating on the lake for several years but I guess have generally been pulling tubers in areas where several others were as well (and therefore skiiers were not there). I post this both as a mea culpa, and as a reminder to people pulling tubers to alert them to the skiier's perspective, and as a reminder to skiiers that all tubers are not trying to be jerks, but just may not be aware of the impact they are having on skiing conditions.
Another thing to keep in mind the differences between pulling a tube versus a skier. Pulling a skier you're at a steady speed and maintaining a relatively straight course where as with a tube you're purposely changing direction to get that killer death tubing whip way outside the wake. So you can see where trying to pull a skier on a steady course with other boats around making erratic course changes can pose a pretty significant problem for the ski boat. I've had to deal with that in the past, most folks are pretty good and understand this and give you plenty of room, others - well not always. Kudos for stopping and asking, otherwise you would have never known, and now sharing that experience with others gives those who may not have otherwise known better a little education.

As a side note, I'm still surprised that NH has not adopted the use of a blaze orange ski flag. That to me would be something that makes a whole lot of sense. I know I'm sure many will say no, but I'll tell ya you can see them from a good distance away and it's a great warning to know that as you're approaching a boat with one displayed, somewhere in the vicinity you can expect to have people in the water so you can be extra cautious. I use one regardless, although I'm not so sure everyone understands why it's displayed!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have been involved in water sports for my entire life and this thread I guess to some degree hits a nerve. The problem is not that tubers create issues for skiers, It that to many Skiers today feel like they have the right to have the conditions just the way the want them.

I have skied calm water, I have skied in rough conditions that would make some people scratch there head. Although I have been off the Ski for many years now. the diversity made me a stronger skier.

The bottom line, when I wanted that nice smooth water, I got a driver and an observer that where willing to be on the water at 6 a.m. We would take off up by the six pack, down too the LI bridge and back again... I would cut as hard and fast as I could through water around and having a great time.... Because that is when the opportunity to ski that way presented itself... Later in the day I would grab my long Ski and head out for the rough water fun and jump wakes etc.

Skiers can't expect calm waters on Winnipesaukee all day long it is not realistic. There is no reason that tubers and skiers can't be in the same location. The only time I will give a skier some slack, is if there is a course set up and he is trying to make runs down a course. But the only one I know of on Winni. Is in Back Bay......Other then that, when they aren't on a course they are open water skiing, and they should learn to deal with the conditions presented to them...
chipj29 (07-23-2010), ITD (07-23-2010), VtSteve (07-24-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
As a side note, I'm still surprised that NH has not adopted the use of a blaze orange ski flag.
Although I like the idea, I also fear that would make some already obnoxious persons feel like they have a free-pass to ignore any and all boating rules.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I also fear that would make some already obnoxious persons feel like they have a free-pass to ignore any and all boating rules.
Good point... but nothing will ever stop them or all the capt. boneheads unless they rise to the level of a Darwin award winner.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
MikeF-NH

as a person who fishes and also pulls his kids on a tube, I have a different perspective. If skiers have an expectation that others should be considerate of what they are trying to accomplish and leave the area consider this: MANY times a bass fisherman is fishing an area early in the morning and enjoying calm waters only have have the water ski crowd come out and create huge wakes and making the fishing near impossible. Many ignore the 150' rule and eventually the fishermen must vacate the area. While it is frustrating, I've never seen a fisherman approach a ski boat or post on the Internet that the skiers should be considerate of others and leave an area that contains fisherman.

Now I don't believe that skiers should be forced or even asked to leave an area where there are fishermen (as long as they are respecting the 150' rule) but am instead using this as an example of why there should be no expectation that any group should feel entitled to any area of the lake except in a sanctioned event. If another legal activity is making your activity less enjoyable...leave the area.

The original poster of this thread had an additional problem in that he was already tubing presumably with his children and thus not confronting the skier was the absolute right thing to do and set a good example for his/her kids.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I have been involved in water sports for my entire life and this thread I guess to some degree hits a nerve. The problem is not that tubers create issues for skiers, It that to many Skiers today feel like they have the right to have the conditions just the way the want them.

I have skied calm water, I have skied in rough conditions that would make some people scratch there head. Although I have been off the Ski for many years now. the diversity made me a stronger skier.

The bottom line, when I wanted that nice smooth water, I got a driver and an observer that where willing to be on the water at 6 a.m. We would take off up by the six pack, down too the LI bridge and back again... I would cut as hard and fast as I could through water around and having a great time.... Because that is when the opportunity to ski that way presented itself... Later in the day I would grab my long Ski and head out for the rough water fun and jump wakes etc.

Skiers can't expect calm waters on Winnipesaukee all day long it is not realistic. There is no reason that tubers and skiers can't be in the same location. The only time I will give a skier some slack, is if there is a course set up and he is trying to make runs down a course. But the only one I know of on Winni. Is in Back Bay......Other then that, when they aren't on a course they are open water skiing, and they should learn to deal with the conditions presented to them...
I have to agree. I learned to salom ski in the ocean and like LIforrelaxin said, it made me a better/stronger skier!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
As a side note, I'm still surprised that NH has not adopted the use of a blaze orange ski flag. That to me would be something that makes a whole lot of sense. I know I'm sure many will say no, but I'll tell ya you can see them from a good distance away and it's a great warning to know that as you're approaching a boat with one displayed, somewhere in the vicinity you can expect to have people in the water so you can be extra cautious. I use one regardless, although I'm not so sure everyone understands why it's displayed!
The orange flag is a good thing, Hopefully at some point NH will adopt this.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Wolfeboro_Baja

Long Pine, thank you for bringing this up. It never occurred to me that tubing and skiing might be somewhat mutually exclusive. Being a weekend skier that didn't get beyond an amateur level (and having learned on Winni some 35 years ago), I always thought the every day skier was prepared to handle the rough water Winni dishes out (with the exception of someone just learning to ski). I've observed competition skiers getting out on the water at 6:00am so they could practice on smooth water, which I presume is similar to competition conditions. I've always tried to give a skier or tuber as much room as possible since one never knows when someone will end up IN the water and I would be horrified if I ever came close enough to a person in the water that there was a danger of striking them. Plus, when you've got multiple boats in the same area pulling tubers and/or skiers, the average 20ft boat effectively becomes an 80ft boat once you add in the skier on the end of a 60ft (+/-) tow rope; depending on the area of the lake you're on, it can get pretty tight.

Quote:
I, for one, was not aware of this practice. Thank you for mentioning it here; I will be on the lookout in the future. One question; how/where is the flag usually displayed?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Skier down flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
One question; how/where is the flag usually displayed?
The ones I've seen are usually suction cup affairs, stuck on the side or windscreen near the driver. That way when the skier goes down he can flip the flag up. I don't think there's any regulation anywhere that mandates where the flag is to be displayed but higher is better IMO.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Wolfeboro_Baja

Thank you M'n'M! So the flag goes up ONLY when the skier is in the water? Good to know! My first thought was the flag was up whenever the boat was pulling a skier or the skier was in the water. I'll keep an eye out for it although since I don't pull skiers (Baja Outlaws don't make the best ski boats) and rarely have a tuber, I tend to not be in those areas that a skier or tuber might prefer but there's always a first time!! It doesn't hurt to be prepared!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Jersey Guy

Do you think the MP would have any problem with someone displaying the flag that designates you are towing a skier or tuber if it is not a requirement? Sounds silly but I've heard of stranger things, and I think it is an excellent idea.
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
Long Pine, thank you for bringing this up. It never occurred to me that tubing and skiing might be somewhat mutually exclusive. Being a weekend skier that didn't get beyond an amateur level (and having learned on Winni some 35 years ago), I always thought the every day skier was prepared to handle the rough water Winni dishes out (with the exception of someone just learning to ski). I've observed competition skiers getting out on the water at 6:00am so they could practice on smooth water, which I presume is similar to competition conditions. I've always tried to give a skier or tuber as much room as possible since one never knows when someone will end up IN the water and I would be horrified if I ever came close enough to a person in the water that there was a danger of striking them. Plus, when you've got multiple boats in the same area pulling tubers and/or skiers, the average 20ft boat effectively becomes an 80ft boat once you add in the skier on the end of a 60ft (+/-) tow rope; depending on the area of the lake you're on, it can get pretty tight.

I, for one, was not aware of this practice. Thank you for mentioning it here; I will be on the lookout in the future. One question; how/where is the flag usually displayed?
If you opt to get one it's best to have one you can use "hands free" IE either a suction cup mount on the windshield or in my last boat I had a mount that was permanently attached to the windshield frame. In Colorado where I came from it was the law so I'm used to always displaying it when somebody is in tow or in the water. Again, good idea to have as long as people understand what it is there for. I've never been approached by the MP for using it, I'd be surprised if they gave me a hassle for it.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #18
ApS

Arrow Skiers...Calm Waters...Past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
"...Skiers can't expect calm waters on Winnipesaukee all day long it is not realistic. There is no reason that tubers and skiers can't be in the same location. The only time I will give a skier some slack, is if there is a course set up and he is trying to make runs down a course. But the only one I know of on Winni. Is in Back Bay......Other then that, when they aren't on a course they are open water skiing, and they should learn to deal with the conditions presented to them...
This might come as a shock to the majority of Forum members—but for several decades, a slalom course was set up all summer long in Johnson's Cove!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #19
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
This might come as a shock to the majority of Forum members—but for several decades, a slalom course was set up all summer long in Johnson's Cove!
I like to give boats pulling those tubing some slack, but they often continue to zig-zag back and forth and then cut me off.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #20
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I like to give boats pulling those tubing some slack, but they often continue to zig-zag back and forth and then cut me off.
My kids say I'm no fun tubing. I don't zig zag, nor whip around doing a 360.

OK, guilty as charged.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Tubing and waterskiing.

Lately it has been a problem during the day as tubing becomes very popular. I do notice the tubers don't come out early in the morning. That is the best time to waterski. Love to do sharp turns on one ski. I use to ski around sunset. It appears there are a lot more tubing going on around susnset than any other time.

I stop water skiing, barefoot skiing on Winnipesaukee because of the laws. I ski on Winnisquam, Rocky Pond. The MP nearly exist and I can take of from the sand and or docks at ease. I can barefoot at the speed where it is comfortable.