Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
MassCamper

Default Overnight on the Lake

I would like to take the wife out ON the lake overnight for her BDay next month. I know that one cannot sleep on the lake, but does anyone know of a mooring or island house that we can get for 1 night?
MassCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassCamper View Post
I would like to take the wife out ON the lake overnight for her BDay next month. I know that one cannot sleep on the lake, but does anyone know of a mooring or island house that we can get for 1 night?
It is very unfortunate that marinas do not have spots for exactly what you wish: "transient" slips or moorings, such as is on coasts.

They should get together and agree on something like that; shops and restaurants will all benefit.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
lak

My neighbor tells me that Silver Sands has transient slips. I would also try West Alton Marina. While they may not normally have them, they may do it if they still have seasonal slips open.
lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
RamJet

Default Overnight on the lake

Fays now has transient slips, $20 - $ 40 depending on the size of the boat
Old 07-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
MassCamper

We valet at Fay's and were hoping for something on the other side of the lake. I'll check with West Alton. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
VtSteve

Default Did a quick check

Google results for "transient slips on lake winnipesaukee"

Fays http://www.faysboatyard.com/storage.html
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
Bear Islander

You can tie up to my mooring at Bear Island for your wife's birthday.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-06-2010), MassCamper (07-07-2010), Smitty1 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
MikeF-NH

looks like Bear Islander gave you your best option but also note that Long Island Bridge Campground also has moorings they "rent". I don't know if they will rent them if you don't have a campsite but money is money so they just may.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
Nice BI!! What a nice gesture.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
KBoater

Default Overnight on Mooring

Isn't it illegal to stay overnight on a mooring?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Steveo

It is illegal to stay overnight on a mooring. It is also illegal to lease or rent a mooring - sorry. It is legal to tie up at a dock overnight if you have owners permission.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #12
Bear Islander

It may be illegal to rent or lease a mooring but nothing says I can't let a friend use it free.

Are we sure you can't overnight at a mooring? I was not aware of that. However, if it's true, then MassCamper can tie up at my dock.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Read the rules...

I know, they are long and drawn out, but there are loopholes in it.

The short version is:
• A line ashore
• A written permission note form the adjacent land owner
• Anchor light on at all times (during the dark hours)
• If you have toilet faculties on board, must have current state environmental permit
• Plus all the state required safety gear. (Life jackets, sound producing device... ect.)

I've had the rules cited to me chapter and verse more times than I care to remember. However, if you're on a mooring they most likely won't bother you unless someone complains and if you have met the requirements listed above your good to stay.
They (MPs) just want to make sure you’re a welcome guest if you’re anchored out in front of someone’s home.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Steveo

From Marine Patrol FAQ's

Can I sleep on my boat overnight?

Overnight mooring is illegal in the State of NH, although, it is legal to sleep on your boat overnight while tied to a dock when you have the landowner’s permission. In addition, landowners must notify the Department of Environmental Services in writing.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
I know, they are long and drawn out, but there are loopholes in it.

The short version is:
• A line ashore
• A written permission note form the adjacent land owner
• Anchor light on at all times (during the dark hours)
• If you have toilet faculties on board, must have current state environmental permit
• Plus all the state required safety gear. (Life jackets, sound producing device... ect.)

I've had the rules cited to me chapter and verse more times than I care to remember. However, if you're on a mooring they most likely won't bother you unless someone complains and if you have met the requirements listed above your good to stay.
They (MPs) just want to make sure you’re a welcome guest if you’re anchored out in front of someone’s home.
I think what you are referring to is a beach/grounded boat is OK with line to shore as quoted from Boater Education course:

Occupied or unoccupied houseboats may be beached, grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or permitted by the owner. Also, the owner, lessee, or person with permission of the owner must give written notice of this fact promptly to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #16
AC2717

Ok those rules are just BS, seriously come on
bigdog (07-07-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Transient Slips Available

Quote:
Hello MassCamper,

I'm fairly certain that Lakeport Landing Marina at the far end of Paugus Bay still has covered transient slips available. Docking is excellent, clean rest rooms, paved parking lot, etc. 603-524-3755 and / or www.lakeportlanding.com/. Whatever plans you decide on, I hope you and the Mrs enjoy yourselves.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Ok those rules are just BS, seriously come on

You got that right... I'd like to say NH is the most screwed up state I've ever seen... But, the more I'm exposed to other state’s bureaucracy, the only words that come to mind are: "My God".... Then I think to myself,” it’s not so bad here; it could be a lot worse".

BTW: The state didn't think up all these stupid rules... It was the shore land owners who don't want to share their piece of the lake, and the state now has to enforce them... Like Chef McCabe said to me one day... "You think we really care whether you’re camped out on your mooring or 50' further in tied to the dock? We don't, but your neighbor has complained and now we have to act. Follow the law to the letter and there will be nothing I can or will do about it."
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
From Marine Patrol FAQ's

Can I sleep on my boat overnight?

Overnight mooring is illegal in the State of NH, although, it is legal to sleep on your boat overnight while tied to a dock when you have the landowner’s permission. In addition, landowners must notify the Department of Environmental Services in writing.
Really? The entire State of NH?

So get a note from your next door neighbor, notify the government agency that you'll be sleeping in your boat overnight. I wonder, do you notify the Dept. of Enviro Services every time you get the urge to sleep at your own dock overnight, or just using someone elses dock?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
XCR-700

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
It may be illegal to rent or lease a mooring but nothing says I can't let a friend use it free.

Are we sure you can't overnight at a mooring? I was not aware of that. However, if it's true, then MassCamper can tie up at my dock.
WOW, two very generous offers in one thread!

Very classy, and yet again why I love Winnipesaukee!!

Kudos to yet another Winnipesaukee resident for leading by example!!!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Smitty1 (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
ApS

Red face Island-House Living—sorta...

Quote:
My adjacent neighbors include three rental lakefront "cottages". Except for a long road to the conveniences of town, the area is indistinguishable from island living.

Due to the economy, I'm not surprised those places are renting by the weekend! I'm not familar with their fee schedule for a weekend—but the range of accommodations (2-5 B/R) is impressive. Included would be one to three docks—no moorings in sight.

Thinking about this some more...Take care to pick a location where your boat is not subject to the fierce wakes of weekends.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #22
jrc

Have you guys ever seen Fay's from the water? No one ever sleeps on those big sailboats moored there?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Houseboat vs day cruiser.

There are certain restrictions for a 'houseboat or cabin cruiser' for overnight on NH waters. However there is no law governing overnight stays for a day cruiser. To make a long story short, if you don't have a galley and or toilet facility you are technically not a houseboat. You may anchor overnight.

I was caught in a situation when anchoring off Timber Island one night. An MP officer stopped and told me I had to have my anchor light on if I want to stay overnight. I had a daycruiser with no galley and toilet. I did have a porta potty.

There was a thread on this when Skip quoted the RSA that resulted in this loophole. I can't find the thread.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
There are certain restrictions for a 'houseboat or cabin cruiser' for overnight on NH waters. However there is no law governing overnight stays for a day cruiser. To make a long story short, if you don't have a galley and or toilet facility you are technically not a houseboat. You may anchor overnight.

I was caught in a situation when anchoring off Timber Island one night. An MP officer stopped and told me I had to have my anchor light on if I want to stay overnight. I had a daycruiser with no galley and toilet. I did have a porta potty.

There was a thread on this when Skip quoted the RSA that resulted in this loophole. I can't find the thread.
Huh that pretty interesting because I have asked before about spending the night on my bow rider when I was having the MP do a courtesy inspection couple years ago. The gentleman that I spoke to said that some think that the law is written such that one could get the impression that some boats would be OK anchoring overnight and you'd be fine sleeping on board. He said that assumption is incorrect and if I were caught spending the night I'd be sited with a ticket and asked to leave. So based on that conversation I believe that it's not OK. However I did tell him that I've read the law and it's confusing and it does lead one to believe it may be OK and he agreed with my assessment, but it doesn't change what is likely to happen if you got caught.

Bottom line - if you do it the key is don't attract attention to yourself and you may be able to get away with it, but be aware that depending on who may confront you - the outcome obviously will be different. I've been tempted but never did it at least not yet. I know of some spots where you could probably do it without being noticed but I personally don't want to deal with the hassle if I were caught so I don't bother.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #25
bigdog

Default Houseboat vs day cruiser.

Broadhopper,

Was caught by MP myslef many years ago, achoring overnight. Was tucked back into a small cove out of the main travel channel/lane.

It was 1AM in the morning and I had 4 others onboard sleeping. Only reason MP pulled up, was because he spotted my anchor light, which I turned on
for safety reasons. MP (older guy-50+), made me start-up and leave location. Found another cove 15 min away, anchored and settled back-in
for the night. No problems!

IMO. Honestly, I think this is a ridiculous rule. If the captain takes the necessary precautions, anchor light on, and is in a location out of the general travel lanes, what's the harm ! I know you have to have rules for the general saftety of the public, but think this one should be reviewed !

What's our State slogan ? Think it may be time to be changed?
IMO Every new law is killing our State and way of life, not really adding to quality of life !

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #26
Steveo

Default There really is no choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Broadhopper,

IMO. Honestly, I think this is a ridiculous rule. If the captain takes the necessary precautions, anchor light on, and is in a location out of the general travel lanes, what's the harm ! I know you have to have rules for the general saftety of the public, but think this one should be reviewed !

What's our State slogan ? Think it may be time to be changed?
IMO Every new law is killing our State and way of life, not really adding to quality of life !

BD
Laws and rules are not for the best of people or the best of conditions, they are for the worst of both. An unattended anchoring (which is what it is when you are sleeping) can be dangerous. You have no idea if you lose your anchor at night and start to drift, into travel lanes, other boats on the water/moorings or on docks or other property. The rules they would have to put in place (anchor alarms; bow and stern anchors, not anchoring in front of populated areas, etc, etc) would be nearly impossible to enforce. Could you imagine a Marine Patrol stopping at 1am to check that you have all the proper equipment. It would not be practical.

Now mooring you might think is a different animal since it IS unattended anchoring all the time. I think there are two reasons for the same ruling as anchoring. First, the abuse of an anchor being disguised as a mooring. Again too much trouble for the Marine Patrol to enforce at 1am in the morning. Second would be the abuse by motel, camping grounds, etc that have mooring fields for their guest. If it was allowed you just double the rental space and the abuse to the lake (what is thrown overboard at night would amaze you , I have seen it). Also you are not allowed to rent or lease a mooring so they would have to change that law which means it would open up more abuse across the whole mooring program.

Bottomline, I don't think there is a choice in any kind of overnight anchoring/mooring that won't be abused or could be adequately enforced.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #27
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Overnight on the Lake

Steve are you serious. I have slept out on lakes and the ocean for 30 years and never had a problem. As long as the proper precautions are taken there are minimal safety issues and it is a very enjoyable experience. This is just another example of over regulation. "Lie Free or Die" haha
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #28
VtSteve

Overnighting on the boat is something fairly new to me the last few years. Very much like tent camping, except no skunks

Growing up on Winni lakeside, my boating life was probably pretty narrow-minded as compared to now, and I'm still learning things every day. If you judge everything based on perceived negatives, or just in a narrow viewpoint based on your immediate location, it can indeed be hard to imagine anything different.

I've not witnessed any real issues from boaters overnighting over here, and you can put up anchor just about anywhere. It's also not wall to wall houses on the shoreline either, so it's easier to find secluded spots.

I've changed my mind totally about lake boating and living. I've been a lakefront resident on two lakes, plus a boater as resident and marina slip dweller. The majority of the problems or lack of shoreline restaurants and destinations, not to mention slips and marinas in general, can be attributed to lakefront property owners. I know that once your boat is at the dock out front, it's hard to imagine anything different. But there is another, big, fantastic boating adventure just around the corner from your lakeside home. It's called, The Rest Of The World.

If any past or present lakefront property owners have switched to being trailer boaters or marina dwellers, they'll know exactly what I mean. Current lakefront owners owe it to themselves to pack up the boat and family, and head for a new destination for a weekend. Whether it be another lake, or just the other end of Winni, it just might broaden your horizons.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-07-2010), Dave R (07-07-2010), NoRegrets (07-07-2010)
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
NoRegrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Steve are you serious. I have slept out on lakes and the ocean for 30 years and never had a problem. As long as the proper precautions are taken there are minimal safety issues and it is a very enjoyable experience. This is just another example of over regulation. "Lie Free or Die" haha
I totally agree with you. The excitement and challenge of life is to conquer the challenges you choose. If it is boating, how to be a safe boater in all conditions under changing environments, how to prepare backup actions when something fails, what spare equipment you should have, how to have a safe evening on a hook, and so on.... The experienced person that enjoys challenges normally prioritizes their actions to insure personal safety, property safety, and then having fun. Fun can be defined in many ways from achieving inner peace to the exhilaration of accomplishment.

This thread started with someone wanting to do something special for their wife. BI and others warmed everyone's inner emotions with gracious offerings. Now we debate the man made restrictions we allowed ourselves to be ruled by.

In today's “Politically Restricted” environment it is painfully obvious that you need to get a law degree so you can do the research required to stay out of trouble. Common sense and intent of the law has been trumped by self serving individuals that have learned how to manipulate the legal process and turned us into a society that is now ruled by the technicality of law. (What is the meaning of "IS")

MassCamper - Have a great night on the lake with your misses!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #30
MassCamper

Wow, I never imagined this would be so involved. What really is the harm in sleeping overnight on a mooring? I can understand at anchor, you break free you could damage other boats or property, or your own, I figured a mooring would be pretty safe. I am greatfull for the genorosity shown on the forum. I enjoy reading the forum and I am pleasantly surprised to see there are still good people out there. Thanks to all the responses and great info, I hope to take BI up on his offer!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #31
Dave R

Quote:

Bottomline, I don't think there is a choice in any kind of overnight anchoring/mooring that won't be abused or could be adequately enforced.

It's legal in the other 49 states... I think NH is dead wrong on this issue and that the law was created solely to please some lakefront property owners. I understand that some people will be loud and obnoxious when anchoring overnight, but there are already laws against disturbing the peace.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #32
NoBozo

Default Summer Place On The Water

I think the NO anchoring overnight, or NO hanging on a "Mooring" overnight comes from a simple reality. If people are given free and unregulated access to the lake...they WILL Take It.

Picture this: I live in the big city and it gets hot in the summer. I think I'll build myself a Barge with a "Cabin" on it ..maybe two stories high. I'll drag the barge up to Winni and launch it in June or so and tow it out to the nicest spot I can find and drop a large anchor over the side and ....Spend The Summer.

It's like I have Waterfront Property without the taxes and upkeep. I'll invite my friends up and they will see what a great idea this is and they will bring their own barge up next year....And so it goes.

Picture an All Summer Long Woodstock '69 in Braun Bay. Hundreds of Tie Dyed T-shirts flying from improvised clothes lines on improvised floating summer "Homes". NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 07-07-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: SP
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
alsadad

Wink Warning

A man from the Island of Bear
Told Mass Camper “Come anchor right there.”
Have fun all the night
But stay out of sight
Because I have neighbors who stare.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #34
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think the NO anchoring overnight, or NO hanging on a "Mooring" overnight comes from a simple reality. If people are given free and unregulated access to the lake...they WILL Take It.

Picture this: I live in the big city and it gets hot in the summer. I think I'll build myself a Barge with a "Cabin" on it ..maybe two stories high. I'll drag the barge up to Winni and launch it in June or so and tow it out to the nicest spot I can find and drop a large anchor over the side and ....Spend The Summer.

It's like I have Waterfront Property without the taxes and upkeep. I'll invite my friends up and they will see what a great idea this is and they will bring their own barge up next year....And so it goes.

Picture an All Summer Long Woodstock '69 in Braun Bay. Hundreds of Tie Dyed T-shirts flying from improvised clothes lines on improvised floating summer "Homes". NB
It's legal in Sebago, nobody does it.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
It's legal in Sebago, nobody does it.
Maybe there's no reason to go to Sebago..? Personally ..I like Winni and I have the choice to go anywhere. Just sayin. NB
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #36
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow The RSA is ...

here.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../270-a-mrg.htm

Now we've had definitions and discussions re: just what a "houseboat" is but if you can sleep on it ... it's got "sleeping facilities" and no doubt a porta-pottie falls under the ruling of a "toilet facility" (albeit a temporary one).

Frankly if you're tied up at a dock or beached onshore next to a house I doubt the MP will bother to check on you. An anchor in the water and a line to a tree onshore in the woods may not go so unchallenged. I'd have to say Broadhopper got lucky.

(ps - a galley makes no difference whether a boat is a "houseboat")
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
no-engine

This situation is hard to believe. What happened is that a few legislators living on or owning lake front property decided they'd write legislation stopping anchoring off their own property, and it all passed, b/c the remaining to make the required vote did not understand and so voted in favor of the proposed laws.

As I once wrote, as a kid on coast between just south of Boston and all around the many sheltered bays & coves on Cape Cod, we anchored overnight many times. My late father used to say the floating summer cottage. We were self contained 32' sail boat with galley, cook top stove (fuel was safe liquid alcohol), icebox (yes with ice blocks), bunks, a head (the toilet facilities), swimming ladder, and so on. Everyone had respect for the shore property; sometimes it was public park lands. I can be more specific about locations, but who cares. Certainly NH State Legislators do not.

It seems ludicrous that a boat at mooring can be there, but as soon as people are aboard, a mast head white light is required at night! I used to have a 19' sailboat; I'd use a porta-potty and occasionally sleep aboard while on my own mooring. I never abused where I was and never was "inspected" or ticketed during the night. As one wrote, depends on who the MP officer is working and where they are patrolling.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #38
NoRegrets

How sad when politicians vote on issues when they have no knowledge about the topic. How infuriating when they take advice from special interest groups and limit everyone!

November should be a very telling time for our country and then maybe we can all go back to a more common sense society.

Still would like to hear about the night out with your wife and I am sure there are many on the forum that will insure you have a safe celebration!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #39
VtSteve

I think the perception is one of worry, since so very few people on Winni overnight on boats. It's so common over here, that I try to plan to be out of the way soon enough on a Friday night that I don't get caught in the myriad of pocket cruiser wakes as they rush out for the weekend.

There are many "Special Designated Anchorage areas" as well. They are all on the chart from Canada all the way South. Obviously, Winni's problem since the heyday of the 70's building boom onward, is that there aren't that many areas left that are undeveloped.

Boaters in general have very little voice or advocates on Winni, which shows up in spades.

BTW, thanks to whomever showed the link to the Long Island campground, I somehow missed them in my searches for places to stay and boat.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #40
jrc

The law cited was written in 1967, not exactly a new restriction.

Laws like this and no rafting are not about safety. It's like prohibiting camping in a park. Yellowstone would be silly but Central Park maybe not.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #41
ApS

Wink There are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
"...This situation is hard to believe...as a kid on coast between just south of Boston and all around the many sheltered bays & coves on Cape Cod, we anchored overnight many times..."
...Not too many water-lines extending out into salt water.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #42
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
It's legal in the other 49 states... I think NH is dead wrong on this issue and that the law was created solely to please some lakefront property owners. I understand that some people will be loud and obnoxious when anchoring overnight, but there are already laws against disturbing the peace.
I tend to agree with this statement. I was surprised completely by this particular law when I began boating in NH. I do believe it is one that should be revised maybe not complete overturned but definitely revised.

All they have to do to keep people from permanently mooring somewhere as No Bozo suggests will happen is add a clause....

A amended law should include the following:

Mooring overnight is allow given the following
1) the vessel has antiquate bathroom facilities,
2) the vessel is not moored in the same general location for more the X number of nights
3) the vessel is moored and a safe a prudent manner based on the prevailing conditions and location
Dave R (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #43
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I tend to agree with this statement. I was surprised completely by this particular law when I began boating in NH. I do believe it is one that should be revised maybe not complete overturned but definitely revised.

All they have to do to keep people from permanently mooring somewhere as No Bozo suggests will happen is add a clause....

2) the vessel is not moored in the same general location for more the X number of nights
3) the vessel is moored and a safe a prudent manner based on the prevailing conditions and location
To a boater this idea sounds pretty good. Waterfront property owners see a disaster in the making. If 50 or 100 boats did this then no problem. However Winnipesaukee is very popular. What if 500 or 5,000 boaters think this is a good idea. Imagine fifty boats anchored in a small cove for "x" nights. If you have more than a couple of dozen boats at least one or two will be playing loud music until 3 am.

And what is the difference if a given boat moves after "x" nights if another boat immediately takes it's place.

The cost of waterfront rentals is very high. No problem, put a porta-potty on the boat and you have an instant lake home. Let's be real, this is EXACTLY the scenario this law exists to prevent.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #44
Steveo

Quote:

What a burden this would put on the Marine Patrol. Check each of the 500 boats to see if they have a head and are properly anchored. Then keep a list of each boat and its location and the start of its X night. Then watch the musical chairs they all do when X nights is up. And oh by the way do this all at night.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #45
Dave R

Quote:
What a burden this would put on the Marine Patrol. Check each of the 500 boats to see if they have a head and are properly anchored. Then keep a list of each boat and its location and the start of its X night. Then watch the musical chairs they all do when X nights is up. And oh by the way do this all at night.
Alternatively, it could simply be enforced like every other law. At present, the Marine Patrol is not required to verify that every boat on the lake has the correct number and type of PFD, only the boats the choose to check. The responsibility to follow laws really rests on the individual boater.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #46
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
To a boater this idea sounds pretty good. Waterfront property owners see a disaster in the making. If 50 or 100 boats did this then no problem. However Winnipesaukee is very popular. What if 500 or 5,000 boaters think this is a good idea. Imagine fifty boats anchored in a small cove for "x" nights. If you have more than a couple of dozen boats at least one or two will be playing loud music until 3 am.

And what is the difference if a given boat moves after "x" nights if another boat immediately takes it's place.

The cost of waterfront rentals is very high. No problem, put a porta-potty on the boat and you have an instant lake home. Let's be real, this is EXACTLY the scenario this law exists to prevent.
I am a water front home owner as are you.... I personally am not scared of something like this. Why? Because a vast majority of the boats on the lake are not big enough for people to stay comfortably on for a night or maybe 2. So what if they anchor out in front of my house as long as they are respectful there will not be any problem. All the noise ordinances quiet after 11 or 12 apply on the water as they do on land.... I go down into Braun bay and other rafting areas every weekend on my normal cruise around the lake... Noise is not an issue....

So one thing I probably forgot in my list, is if someone is moored overnight they can't be part of a raft period.

As much as some one anchored in front of your house is going to bug you, knowing that you are sitting behind them is going to bug most people looking to anchor out for an evening. With the right adders modifying this law to allow people to anchor out really would not be that bad off an idea...

other suggestions for rules on anchoring overnight....

--- can't be part of a raft
--- have to XXX ft from shore
--- have to be XX feet from another boat

The bottom line is this, people worry about something of this being taken advantage off... go to Lake Champlain, Sabago Lake, and some of the other major lake in the northeast.... You will find out it really doesn't..... but it does allow people to anchor in a cove for a nice night once in a while, or not worry if they drop anchor to wait for weather to pass overnight.....
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #47
Dave R

Quote:

The bottom line is this, people worry about something of this being taken advantage off... go to Lake Champlain, Sabago Lake, and some of the other major lake in the northeast.... You will find out it really doesn't..... but it does allow people to anchor in a cove for a nice night once in a while, or not worry if they drop anchor to wait for weather to pass overnight.....
I spend the night "on the hook" quite a bit outside of NH. I have never witnessed any obnoxious or loud behavior, even as part of a group of about 50 boats on the CT river in MA over a 4th of July weekend. It's always been very peaceful. It's also a great experience that you cannot accurately convey to anyone who has never done it.
joey2665 (07-08-2010)
Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #48
NoBozo

Quote:
I spend the night "on the hook" quite a bit outside of NH. I have never witnessed any obnoxious or loud behavior, even as part of a group of about 50 boats on the CT river in MA over a 4th of July weekend. It's always been very peaceful. It's also a great experience that you cannot accurately convey to anyone who has never done it.
My background comes from the Coast. I have anchored, picked up moorings for rent, anchored, and accepted "complimentary" moorings from Yacht Clubs and Boat Yards from Connecticut to Bar Harbor. I have never run across the Scenario that I suggested a few posts ago about ...Hobo Anchorages.

There WAS a problem with this trend a couple of decades ago in Florida.

Along the Coast (North of Marblehead) you won't see "Gatherings" of boats. The boats that cruise the coast North are NOT Amateurs. They are seasoned "Cruisers".

No disrespect intended but my point here is the people on Winni ARE NOT the same people boating /CRUISING in Salt Water. NB
Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #49
MAXUM

Judging by the way some people act during the day I can only imagine what the consequences would be if any of them were able to spend the night legally on the lake. Frankly all this week I've been on vacation and on the lake just about every day. I have been literally appalled at how obnoxious and inconsiderate some have been to the point where twice I've had to vacate my spot due to excessive drinking, swearing (yeah great to have to explain what those words mean to my daughter), boats anchoring right on top of you, loud music etc.... Its funny how one boat load can ruin a perfect day where an otherwise bunch of nice friendly and considerate people were gathered to all share what few pieces of sandy bottomed real estate exist on the lake. That's the underlying problem, as long as there are idiots out there like this overnight stays on the lake will never become a legal reality. Yeah I don't like it, but I can understand why its not allowed. Furthermore the marine patrol has enough problems to deal with - adding in the headache of policing at night and essentially playing nanny is something I would bet they just as soon not be in the business of doing. Sad to say everyone suffers as a result.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Winnipesaukee Divers (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #50
VtSteve

I can certainly understand your feelings Maxum, probably not far off the mark. I was pretty amazed at how much the boating environment had changed from my boatless period from 1997 until 2007. I've come to believe that during this ten year period, the financial reality of owning a boat temporarily vanished, and a whole new cast of characters entered the fray.

It's quite obvious that many "boaters" today have no previous experience on the water at all, and many people that are new boat owners are not even close to what I grew up with, or came to "assume" was common. If you take people with attitudes and arrogance from our roads and highways and transplant them in a boat, you have what we have today. Before I paint with too broad a brush, I agree with most that it's the "few" that stick out more than anything. Most boaters everywhere are good people, careful people, that simply want to enjoy the sport. But add to that mix the new crowd, and it appears to be a major change.

I was at anchor Wednesday night, enjoying the warmer waters and beautiful sunset. This was in a large beach area, where it's between 3' and 12' of mostly sandy shoreline for a mile out. A minor disruption was a 20' bowrider towing a tube, from near the beach area, between anchored boats, with his wake smashing us every few minutes Just a mom, dad and a couple of kids having fun. I'll bet he had no idea what he was doing wrong, he didn't look like the "type" we speak of as boneheads or cowboys. Probably just someone relatively new to boating, that hadn't had the common water sense to relate his own boat rocking wildly at anchor, to his own actions when tubing.

Outside of people refusing to deviate from a straight line of travel to their destination, regardless of your boat's course and options, smaller boats with tubers and those going way to close at speed account for at least 80% of my issues on the water. The vast majority of people I know that overnight do so in sheltered coves or at marinas. Most of these folks are very friendly boaters, not causing problems or being loud and obnoxious. I'm sure there are exceptions, I've just not witnessed them. At anchor or rafting during the daytime, that's usually when you spot the tiny minority of problem people. Drinking is a big problem in these groups, though not always. Most of these obnoxious, oblivious to everyone else boaters are daytime only boaters. They usually terrorize others while on land at night

As for enforcement, 99% of the issues regarding rowdy, drinking, obnoxious and dangerous boaters are found during the daytime. Rarely are the people in this majority the same as those that overnight on a boat. In fact, if these boneheads and binge drinkers were effectively dealt with during the daytime, this thread would not be what it is, mostly perception and worry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-09-2010), Dave R (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #51
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The vast majority of people I know that overnight do so in sheltered coves or at marinas. Most of these folks are very friendly boaters, not causing problems or being loud and obnoxious. I'm sure there are exceptions, I've just not witnessed them. At anchor or rafting during the daytime, that's usually when you spot the tiny minority of problem people. Drinking is a big problem in these groups, though not always. Most of these obnoxious, oblivious to everyone else boaters are daytime only boaters. They usually terrorize others while on land at night
That's been my experience. The once the daylight dwindles, the anchorage gets less crowded and all that's left are peaceful and quiet boaters spending the night. Not saying it's like that everywhere, just everywhere I've slept on the hook. My recollection is that it was the same way on Winnipesuakee in the brief period during the mid-70s when anchoring overnight was legal. I also recall that hardly anyone did it back then too.

The first time I ever spent the night on the hook was when I was 9 or 10 years old and we left Robert's Cove in the evening and slept in Paugus Bay. That got me hooked on the idea.
VitaBene (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #52
hilltopper

Some of my fondest memories as a kid were taking our 20 foot sailboat from our mooring in Mallets Bay (Colchester, VT) to Gail's Cove, also in Mallets Bay. We'd anchor, attach a rope to shore, and spend the day and night rock diving, snorkeling, etc. As mentioned above, there's a big difference between the two lakes. At Lake Champlain the view was a rugged, uninhabited shore. At Winni it would be developed shoreline as far as the eye could see (in most areas anyway). So this doesn't sound like a fun, relaxing experience to me if done on Winni. Big Squam...that'd be a different story.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #53
VtSteve

They are vastly different bodies of water Hilltoppper, you characterized the differences better than I. My guess is that if it were legal on Winni, few would really know about it anyway. I had no idea it wasn't allowed, primarily because I never really thought about it. It's a lot more rustic that tenting in many cases, especially for the smaller boats.

Probably better left alone at this point.......
The Following User Says Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-09-2010)
Old 07-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #54
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Sweet Spots

Quote:
They are vastly different bodies of water Hilltoppper, you characterized the differences better than I. My guess is that if it were legal on Winni, few would really know about it anyway. I had no idea it wasn't allowed, primarily because I never really thought about it. It's a lot more rustic that tenting in many cases, especially for the smaller boats.

Probably better left alone at this point.......
I hear you but I can think of a few sweet spots where I would love to overnight on Winnipesaukee.

I have fond memories of overnighting at Squam (we had our first boat there for years at Squam Boats (next to Walter's Basin)), World's End in Hingham MA and Martha's Vineyard.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #55
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I hear you but I can think of a few sweet spots where I would love to overnight on Winnipesaukee.

I have fond memories of overnighting at Squam (we had our first boat there for years at Squam Boats (next to Walter's Basin)), World's End in Hingham MA and Martha's Vineyard.
There's lots of things we'd all like to do, and just can't As you can see, some people want you to be able to do even less. I gave up trying to fight the world, I just either go along, or move on. Not enough time to fight everything.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #56
MAXUM

Quote:
I can certainly understand your feelings Maxum, probably not far off the mark. I was pretty amazed at how much the boating environment had changed from my boatless period from 1997 until 2007. I've come to believe that during this ten year period, the financial reality of owning a boat temporarily vanished, and a whole new cast of characters entered the fray.

It's quite obvious that many "boaters" today have no previous experience on the water at all, and many people that are new boat owners are not even close to what I grew up with, or came to "assume" was common. If you take people with attitudes and arrogance from our roads and highways and transplant them in a boat, you have what we have today. Before I paint with too broad a brush, I agree with most that it's the "few" that stick out more than anything. Most boaters everywhere are good people, careful people, that simply want to enjoy the sport. But add to that mix the new crowd, and it appears to be a major change.

I was at anchor Wednesday night, enjoying the warmer waters and beautiful sunset. This was in a large beach area, where it's between 3' and 12' of mostly sandy shoreline for a mile out. A minor disruption was a 20' bowrider towing a tube, from near the beach area, between anchored boats, with his wake smashing us every few minutes Just a mom, dad and a couple of kids having fun. I'll bet he had no idea what he was doing wrong, he didn't look like the "type" we speak of as boneheads or cowboys. Probably just someone relatively new to boating, that hadn't had the common water sense to relate his own boat rocking wildly at anchor, to his own actions when tubing.

Outside of people refusing to deviate from a straight line of travel to their destination, regardless of your boat's course and options, smaller boats with tubers and those going way to close at speed account for at least 80% of my issues on the water. The vast majority of people I know that overnight do so in sheltered coves or at marinas. Most of these folks are very friendly boaters, not causing problems or being loud and obnoxious. I'm sure there are exceptions, I've just not witnessed them. At anchor or rafting during the daytime, that's usually when you spot the tiny minority of problem people. Drinking is a big problem in these groups, though not always. Most of these obnoxious, oblivious to everyone else boaters are daytime only boaters. They usually terrorize others while on land at night

As for enforcement, 99% of the issues regarding rowdy, drinking, obnoxious and dangerous boaters are found during the daytime. Rarely are the people in this majority the same as those that overnight on a boat. In fact, if these boneheads and binge drinkers were effectively dealt with during the daytime, this thread would not be what it is, mostly perception and worry.
A very well laid out argument and I certainly have no disagreement with any of it. I believe your assessment to be for the most part accurate. I would also submit that there is a huge distinction between say a boater who may be out of ignorance breaking a boating law and a bunch of loud and obnoxious (sometimes drunk as a skunk) people.

I don't know why the law for spending the night was enacted, if it was based on a few complaints, some activists who had nothing better to do, was a preemptive measure or was really for legitimate reasons. Whatever the case I agree with you that the boating crowd is changing and the new influx of boaters contains a higher percentage of the "party hard" mentality. If not kept in check it will lead to stereotypes that do paint a broad brush and more restrictions. Unfortunately law makers are doing quite well coming up with all sorts of new and innovative ways to keep them and everyone else under control. Let's face it though the law itself is no longer much of a deterrent, unless of course you get caught.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
VtSteve (07-11-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #57
Dave R

I have always assumed the law against overnight anchoring was created on behalf of some waterfront property owners, but perhaps it's marina owners who asked for the law. They had more to lose with the advent of affordable trailerable pocket cruisers. Prior to the existance of the law in 1967, there were plenty of cabin cruisers on the lake, but the vast majority were too big to trailer routinely and were wet-slipped. Just a thought...