Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Jersey Guy

Default Sea Tow

Long time reader, first time forum poster, and wanted to get opinions on how important people think a Sea Tow membership is to have as I just got my renewal for $119 for the year. Are there any better deals out there? I've never had to use it but have this feeling if I don't renew it something will happen and I will regret it. Thanks.
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
Long time reader, first time forum poster, and wanted to get opinions on how important people think a Sea Tow membership is to have as I just got my renewal for $119 for the year. Are there any better deals out there? I've never had to use it but have this feeling if I don't renew it something will happen and I will regret it. Thanks.
I have Sea Tow and Boat US. I have been on a buddy's boat when Sea Tow was needed and all I can say is there is no way I would ever own a boat without it.

Just last weekend my starter went. If it had died in any of the places I had visted all weekend and not had Sea Tow I wouldn't have known what to do. I always am happy to know I have insurance and can get to a safe port, especially with my family on board.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Jersey Guy

Thanks, and agree that it is good piece of mind to have this, but you mentioned you have Sea Tow AND Boat US, you have both? If so, why?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,607 Times in 822 Posts
Default Check your insurance policy

Quote:
Check your boat policy, you may have towing ( the option is short $$ as I recall).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Thanks, and agree that it is good piece of mind to have this, but you mentioned you have Sea Tow AND Boat US, you have both? If so, why?
I use Sea Tow for Towing / Trailer issues. I am a Boat US member as well for a variety of reasons.

A. you get the news letter / magazine.
B. you become a gold member at West Marine (discounts)
C. It is a good organization to get safety updates, helps support charities, and promotes boating in general.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
AC2717

I have towing and service on my boat insurance policy, so I used that, what I had to do is use sea tow pay them and then just get reimbursed by the insurance company. It all depends on what type of coverage you have
one or the other is good, both could be good and could be overkill
Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Jersey Guy

Thanks for the advice, I will check with my insurance carrier, Progressive, to see if they offer any discounts.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
JPC

Default BoatUS

BoatUS does have a tow boat on the lake. And, they have a reduced rate for the lake only. I have a 28ft sail boat and pay something like the $48-$60/yr for unlimited towing. About half what you are paying for Sea Tow. BoatUS doesn't advertise the fact that they have lake only rates so you have to ask about it.

I got towed in last year, from the broads, when my fuel filter got plugged. I saw what the bill would have been and the insurance has payed for itself.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Resident 2B

I believe Sea Tow has a lake only rate as well.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
jrc

For Towboat US you can get plans starting at around $19 to cover $50. Now that won't cover any real tow but you will have number to call 24/7. That is worth $19 a year.

They will come out and get you and you will have to pay the difference. I had the $350 coverage about 5 years ago and they towed me back, it cost around $300.

This year I got the unlimited, I think it was still under a hundred. Plus Boat US supports boaters and fights boating restrictions.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Long Pine

Default Check your boat insurance

As posted above, your boaters insurance may cover towing. This thread made me curious so I checked my policy. Included in my policy is a rider covering reimbursement for "Emergency Watercraft Towing and Labor" at $300 per incident. The cost that the rider added to the annual premium for the insurance was $17. Seems like a good deal relative to the other numbers being thrown around. Of course you would have to pay a towing company up front and then file for reimbursement from the insurer which is less convenient. I have never had to test them with claims reimbursement so I can't comment on that either. In any case, the policy is with Progressive and it was written through the J Clifton Avery agency in Wolfeboro in case anyone wants to check out your insurance options.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
jrc

If you have coverage from your insurance, who will you call when you breakdown?

If you call someone and you don't already have an agreement, make sure you get it in writing before they hook up a line. You want a tow not a salvage. Not likely to be an issue for a simple breakdown on the lake, but could be if you hit rocks or are swamped by waves.

Search the internet on towing vs salvage, a boat is not a car.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default BoatUS

Inland water, no trailer, was $63 including $5 donation to BoatUS Foundation.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Inland water, no trailer, was $63 including $5 donation to BoatUS Foundation.
I switched from Boat US to Sea Tow a few years ago. I am all over the lake and I see the Sea Tow boats much more than US Boat. In fact someone was fishing off a Sea Tow boat yesterday when I was out enjoying the lake. I pay $119.00 a year for unlimited towing on Lake Winnipesaukee. I have never had to call them, but it is peace of mind knowing they are only a cell phone call away.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Irrigation Guy

With my Boat/US inlandwater towing is only $39.00, seems like a no brainer to me.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #16
Ropetow

I just renewed my Boat US membership a week or so ago. I think the unlimited towing was in the $60 range. Last year I had a $150 towing limit, and that was far exceeded by the tow when my impeller crapped out.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
Irrigation Guy

I don't think I got a special deal or anything you guys should check your BoatUS membership paperwork, mine says unlimited freshwater towing $39.00.

This is not with my insurance, this is with my BoatUS membership.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
Jersey Guy

There seem to be plenty of options here, which is a good thing, depending on what works best for you, thanks for all of the feedback, bottom line is I will definately keep my Sea Tow or convert to something else (through insurance or otherwise) and hope I never need to use it! Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I vote for BoatUS, not only for towing but many other reasons. We got graphics on line for about 1/4 $ of a paint job. My insurance company dumped my boat coverage when I started towing to Florida.....we changed to BoatUS and not only got coverage for inland lakes and waterways, but ocean use as well........for less money. They do it all.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Get it! You Won't Regret It!

Well here I was thinking this weekend what the heck do I need Sea Tow for! I have been a member for three years now and have two relatively new boats that have been for the most part problem free. Well lo and behold I no sooner finish reading this thread and start questioning myself and my boat acts up and won't start at my island camp dock!!

Since I have an Eveinrude Etec outboard, Thurstons Marina is the only one who can service and handle warranty work on the lake (they are great by the way!). So I make a quick call to Sea Tow and he heads right over to my camp on Welch Island, hooks up my boat and tows it over to Thurston's free of charge!! The bill would have been $225.00 had I not been a member!!

Guess I'll keep my Sea Tow membership!!!!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
NHskier

iShoot308 - we saw your boat being towed in in today by Sea Tow. We have a slip at Thurston's and had come in & tied up for a bit to wait out a shower. Sea Tow dropped it off at the gas dock, then the service folks moved it in to the service dock.

No question the Sea Tow operator knew what they were doing. Makes me glad that we too have Sea Tow coverage.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
Kev&DiZ

I'm confused...it sounds like most insurance policies likely cover towing for a minimal fee.

Also, it sounds like a sea tow membership is $119 a year. Many of you have said that you join sea tow but have not needed them. One person said he joined sea tow 3 years agao (for a total cost of $360) and just needed them and he was thankful because the tow would have been $225.

Sounds like to me, if you play the odds that you will likely not need a tow, or may need a tow every few years, it is cheaper to not join sea tow, and just pay the tow fee. Just my opinion.... Sort of like AAA: I've been driving for over 20 years, needed a tow once, (which my insurance covered) and have never joined AAA. A friend just had to have his bike towed the other day and it would have cost $300..but he said, "thank God I have AAA plus, the tow was free!" But I believe he has paid $100 a year for AAA for the last 15 years or so....doesn't sound free to me...
Kev&DiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #23
Bos'n

Default from the crew

Good early morning and happy 4th.. This is Capt. Dan from Sea\\Tow-- just getting in from another long day on the water and had a chance to read your posts. alot of interesting comments. just a couple quick things to add-- no matter who you decide to go with remember that a "member" gets priority service! non-members will have to waite if both boats are busy servicing members. also, in addition to FREE (and i mean NO out of pocket expense) covered services you can take advantage of MANY local discounts at lakes region businesses. Sea\\Tow captains are Coast Guard licensed and are highly trained and experienced.Choose what works best for you and please have a safe boating season. We stand-by 24/7 for members and non-members.. Any questions i can be reached at 603-279-2203 or VHF 16 24 hrs a day.. take care and we'll see you on the water! be safe and have fun Capt. Dan
Bos'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #24
SOB

Default Insurance

I have been in a few instances where the boat I was on broke down and the owner only had the insurance policy with the coverage for a tow.

We called the marina that the owner docks at and they came and got us. His coverage was for 500 on the tow. The marina charged around 300 for the tow. The repair was another few hundred, I forget what the problem was now. Anyways the marina changed the bill to 500 for the tow and 100 for the repair so that the customer would have less to pay. Worked out well. Something to keep in mind if it happens to you.
SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #25
Irrigation Guy

Sometimes a couple of tow charged to your insurance and they will choose not to renew your policy when that time comes around. Travelers did that to me way back when. Had one ligimate claim(with a tow) and needed 1 more tow($100) due to a faulty part(coupler) upon repair, and they ditched me at renewal time(1995). Just something to keep in mind, a claim is a claim in the eyes of the insurers, whereas a tow membership is different.

Oh and after reviewing my policy it was $34.00 for unlimited freshwater towing(boatUS) except 50% from your home dock to repair, unless you wanted to pay like $159.00 for unlimited gold which covered from home dock too.