Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Misplaced priorities. Bash the competition before fixing your product

Below is a snapshot of the Duncan Press (Green Map) home page from July 2009 (red lines added). Note that the theme is to discredit their competition - Bizer’s claims. IMO this is childish and not very professional particularly since Duncan’s web site has published missing, incomplete or inaccurate information for well over a year! They hear the “racket” about Bizer’s claims but seem to be DEAF to their own problems. Pretty much the same missing and inaccurate info from Duncan today as documented in This Thread from July 2009 posted almost a YEAR ago. It’s still the same inaccurate information today - I won't re-post ALL the problems.

What’s the deal? Duncan Press shows only two areas of the Lake with a 45/25 mph speed limit but as of today and since Jan 2009 that speed limit is in effect for the entire Lake until the end of the year. Does Duncan Press purposely misinform the public? Are they just negligent? Or do they not care what is on their web pages? How odd that they care about what is on Bizer’s web site and not on their own site.

What has Duncan Press changed on their web site during the past year? The background color changed a few times. Silver, then brown then back to green (is that very important?). They added more hype about their West Coast cartographer consultants who have won awards for pretty maps (but who may never have been to the Lake or seen each marker and hazard as Bizer does and continues to do). They added a recent picture of Sally, the Duncan Press owner. And on another page, "Our Owner", a picture of Sally, topless from 1950 sitting in front of their Lake cabin (is that legal?) - It is a nice and cute pic though (but is it PC today?). They have changed their home page each month to include the month and sometimes different “hype”.

Duncan Press has NOT corrected their additions, deletions, observations, changes and corrections web page for their most recent (2005) Lake Winnipesaukee map for over TWO years although the bottom line says last modified 2 June 2010. Last entry was 3-20-2008 (added Wolfeboro Handicapped dock). Duncan Press still lists inaccurate speed limit information and omits some of the No Rafting Zones. They still erroneously claim that the US Coast Guard (not the NH Marine Patrol) conducts free safe boating courses at Marine Patrol HQ in Gilford. Text on another page now refers you to Duncan’s FAX [sic] page for information – the link is spelled FAQs though. They still compare their most recent (2005) Duncan Press map with the OLDER Bizer 5th edition map while Bizer’s current edition is the 8th. They call Bizer’s depth measurements amateurish because Bizer actually covers the lake with GPS, depth sounders and computer recording software to develop their depth info rather than rely on decades old survey information and etc..

Has Duncan proved which map maker maintains the most accurate information of Lake Winnipesaukee? Is it easy for you to decide?

In the interest of SAFE BOATING, informing visitors and the general public, Duncan Press, PLEASE update your web information at the very minimum about the speed limits, No Rafting Zones and launch ramp status at Ames Farm.

Duncan Press Inc web site
Bizer's web site
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Commodore (06-08-2010)
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

I often thought that Sally must have been something when she was younger. I have used the Duncan map since 1983 and have been on the "Big Lake" thousands of times. It has never steered me wrong.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
Text on another page now refers you to Duncan’s FAX [sic] page for information – the link is spelled FAQs though.
FAQs stands for Frequently Asked Questions, which is the page that comes up when you click the link. Why so much rage about a chart?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Happy Gourmand

Default Duncan Press..

Skipper, it sounds like you are holding a grudge of some sort against the folks at Duncan press. You have lambasted them several times on several different threads...and now another.
If you don't like the GREEN chart and prefer the Bizer chart, then use the Bizer chart. That's your choice. I happen to agree with your choice and use the Bizer chart also. There are many who prefer the Duncan chart...that's their choice. I used the Duncan chart in my earlier years of boating and it never led me astray, never put me in a compromising position.
They are both fine products.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-08-2010), nvtngtxpyr (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Am I over reacting to bad information from an authority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Skipper, it sounds like you are holding a grudge of some sort against the folks at Duncan press. You have lambasted them several times on several different threads...and now another.
Duncan says (see above page) that they finally respond to a "racket" - well, I'm making a "racket" as the subtle (and less subtle) methods have not worked to achieve results and accuracy. You think I like lambasting them? I don't. This thread was prompted by their "challenge" last July - concentrating on Bizer rather than their own Duncan Press info.

I carry BOTH Bizer and Duncan maps on board the Sea Que. The map all by itself is OK although I prefer the Bizer map. What really gets me is the Duncan Press attitude and lack of corrections on their web site. Boaters and visitors deserve accurate information and not just hype. Duncan is not paying attention - skewing information. Claiming they get some info from a Marine Patrol "secret agent" (Bizer doesn't have a 007 source) - it's hype. Bragging about their advisers from Oregon. Now claiming a "NEW LOOK" for their map which hasn't changed in FIVE years - more hype.

I don't like the speed limit law but it is the law and therefore the current information should be conveyed to the boating public. We often complain about Capt Bonehead who ignores or doesn't know the rules. For instance, if Capt B. relies only on Duncan's map and web info then they can't know what the speed limit law is - they can't know all the places rafting is restricted are 2 prime examples. Do you condone that or should it be brought to the attention of all until it is fixed?

Sure, listing the US Coast Guard instead on NH Marine Patrol as the group conducting free classes at MP HQ is not going to cause a boating mishap - it IS indicative of what I consider a lack of attention to detail, particularly since they have been informed about these errors for OVER A YEAR! (end rant for now)

Am I the only one bothered by a presumed Lake authority that doesn't present current and accurate info on their web site? If so, I'll bite my lip and shut up. Otherwise, I'll help build the "racket" it seems to take to get them to respond.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Commodore (06-08-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Duncan Press what "New Design"?

Here are a few screen snapshots regarding Duncan Press changes policy, mission statement and their "New" design. They CLAIM that they want to educate boaters. Is this what they do or just what they want you to think they do? Plus I think calling FAQs "FAX" is funny.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Commodore (06-08-2010), Just Sold (06-08-2010), Mark (06-17-2010), Sandy Beach (06-10-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Duncan's Hey Look Over There Tactic at Bizer - Not Cool

Quote:
Duncan says (see above page) that they finally respond to a "racket" - well, I'm making a "racket" as the subtle (and less subtle) methods have not worked to achieve results and accuracy. You think I like lambasting them? I don't. This thread was prompted by their "challenge" last July - concentrating on Bizer rather than their own Duncan Press info.

I carry BOTH Bizer and Duncan maps on board the Sea Que. The map all by itself is OK although I prefer the Bizer map. What really gets me is the Duncan Press attitude and lack of corrections on their web site. Boaters and visitors deserve accurate information and not just hype. Duncan is not paying attention - skewing information. Claiming they get some info from a Marine Patrol "secret agent" (Bizer doesn't have a 007 source) - it's hype. Bragging about their advisers from Oregon. Now claiming a "NEW LOOK" for their map which hasn't changed in FIVE years - more hype.

I don't like the speed limit law but it is the law and therefore the current information should be conveyed to the boating public. We often complain about Capt Bonehead who ignores or doesn't know the rules. For instance, if Capt B. relies only on Duncan's map and web info then they can't know what the speed limit law is - they can't know all the places rafting is restricted are 2 prime examples. Do you condone that or should it be brought to the attention of all until it is fixed?

Sure, listing the US Coast Guard instead on NH Marine Patrol as the group conducting free classes at MP HQ is not going to cause a boating mishap - it IS indicative of what I consider a lack of attention to detail, particularly since they have been informed about these errors for OVER A YEAR! (end rant for now)

Am I the only one bothered by a presumed Lake authority that doesn't present current and accurate info on their web site? If so, I'll bite my lip and shut up. Otherwise, I'll help build the "racket" it seems to take to get them to respond.
You are not the only one bothered. With something so important as a lake map, it simply must be accurate. Your boat and perhaps your life may depend upon it.

Like Al, we also carry both Bizer and Duncan maps on our boat. That is how I learn the lake, following along while underway - R-Guy has his and I have mine. The look of the Duncan map is quite pleasing, but I would never count on it as I do the Bizer map.

The topless little girl photograph on their website bothers me greatly. I'm no prude, but it is completely inappropriate an should be removed.

I hope this thread gets Duncan on the ball to fix their maps and website. Thanks Skipper for getting this started. Duncan should be challenged to be the best they can be. A few tweaks on their part and problem should be solved.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Commodore (06-08-2010), Just Sold (06-08-2010), Mark (06-17-2010), Pineedles (06-08-2010), Sandy Beach (06-10-2010), Skipper of the Sea Que (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Commodore

Thumbs up You are 110% right Skipper. Duncan has a problem.

Quote:
You are not the only one bothered by missing or inaccurate information on the Duncan Chart web pages.

IIRC and reading back some of the older messages Duncan people have ignored e-mail and even postal mail with corrections sent to them years ago and it appears like they still have not changed. They compound the situation with even more inaccuracies and oversights.

Some forumites don't seem to get your points but me, RG and I am sure many other forum users do understand what you are saying and your motivation.

If Duncan Charts want to hold themselves out to be an authority then they should be an accurate authority on paper and on the web.

Tell it like it is and preserver Skipper!
BroadHopper (06-09-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-08-2010), Skipper of the Sea Que (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Did you get your new Chart this year???

The rules are: you have to buy a new "Chart" every year, because the state moves the rocks during the winter.

When I'm diving I see where the rocks were last year and where they are now... Sometimes it just a few inches or so, but the big ones are several feet and sometimes yards.

Don't get caught living in the past, get that new chart and be safe on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winnipesaukee Divers For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (06-08-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-08-2010), trfour (06-08-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default Tmi

SO: Say you have a Duncan chart and a Bizer chart and a GPS Chart plotter.

Now you are out there in the boat and you notice a small discrepancy between one or more of the above. Total Confusion now sets in and big arguments ensue...all the while the boat may be speeding into imminent danger Will Robinson.

WHICH Source is Right..? Maybe better to have only one Chart, a GPS and excercise some seamanship and common sense. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Give it a break!

Gee Skip it looks like Bizers web site could use a little updating also... How long has Nothin Fancy been gone from the Weirs... 5 years now??... yet it still shows up on Bizers web site as a restaurant in the Weirs!

Give it a rest and give Duncan press a break. They have been around a long time and offer boaters a quality product that has been used safely for decades.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
The rules are: you have to buy a new "Chart" every year, because the state moves the rocks during the winter.

When I'm diving I see where the rocks were last year and where they are now... Sometimes it just a few inches or so, but the big ones are several feet and sometimes yards.

Don't get caught living in the past, get that new chart and be safe on Lake Winnipesaukee.
So you're saying that one or both of these companies re-scan and update these markings for the ENTIRE lake EVERY YEAR?

I think that if you're within "a few yards" of where a big rock is (or was) supposed to be, you're probably too close anyway.

Seems like getting a new chart every year would be a waste for the average boater, and would still be LAST years version of accurate at best anyway.

Your common sense, however, should be kept current.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Pineedles

Default Moving Rocks

Quote:
Are you pulling our leg? Rocks move? Anybody have an eplanation as to how dude they dude it?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default How much is your boat worth???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
So you're saying that one or both of these companies re-scan and update these markings for the ENTIRE lake EVERY YEAR?

I think that if you're within "a few yards" of where a big rock is (or was) supposed to be, you're probably too close anyway.

Seems like getting a new chart every year would be a waste for the average boater, and would still be LAST years version of accurate at best anyway.

Your common sense, however, should be kept current.

Don't take my word for it, get a mask and fins and check it out for yourself. Case in point: the mark off Seawall Point (entrance of Wolfeboro Harbor), marks a big rock 12' in diameter 3' below the surface. You can see where this rock has been pushed 20-30 feet, sand on the south side and small stones & rocks piled up on the north side. Clear evidence that the State has been out there moving the rocks... I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
JMR

Default Rocks move!

I for one have significant damage from the rocks moving into my docks and breakwaters. I am sure it is going to cost a lot of $$ to fix.
JMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
VtSteve

Default Competition is good

usually anyway.

From the bold statements made on Bizer's web site, it would appear to be the only real choice for GPS users as well. Since both companies boast so much, and attack the other, I would think someone at each company would be in charge of getting the word out on their competitor's mistakes.

BTW, I personally let some of the things companies say go by the wayside. But when it ratchets up to the level it has, I tend to lose respect for management. I couldn't access the Duncan Press website, it appears to be down.

I read the FAQ section on Bizer's site, and the reason they started working on the chart. Commendable idea, proactive, love their ambition. It appears Bizer has done a great job in setting out to do a better job than what had already been on the market. I also love it when a small outfit is the one that did it.

But if it were my business, I'd want to project a different image than what they project. It wouldn't stop me from buying their product, but I try to be a little professional and above board in my operations. Perception and image are important down the road. I must say Skipper, your posts on this subject read exactly like parts of their web site, only nastier

Look, not knocking their product, only the delivery. Rising above the level of competition is sometimes the only way to beat them.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Don't take my word for it, get a mask and fins and check it out for yourself. Case in point: the mark off Seawall Point (entrance of Wolfeboro Harbor), marks a big rock 12' in diameter 3' below the surface. You can see where this rock has been pushed 20-30 feet, sand on the south side and small stones & rocks piled up on the north side. Clear evidence that the State has been out there moving the rocks... I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.
I could be 100% wrong. But just making a statement.. In all my years on the lake I have never seen a barge or anyone out moving rocks. You would think they would either blow them up or move only those that are posing significant hazards to major boating lanes.

Why would they be out moving a rock many times over. My own thought would be that the ice is moving them if they are that close to the surface.

Again not saying you are wrong just my own opinion.

I would hope they would be out spending money on more important things.
Just from an economic standpoint isn't it much less to mark them then to try to move them?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #18
Wolfeboro_Baja

Well, at least Duncan Press updated their homepage.

I learned the lake in my teens with a Duncan Press chart on my stepfather's cruiser. Now that I have my own boat, I've come to trust the accuracy of the Bizer chart while my wife prefers the Duncan chart. Whatever......so far, the only time I've dinged a prop was when I didn't refer to EITHER chart!

OCD, I was wondering the same thing about the moving rocks; could it really be as simple as the winter ice moving the rocks? I'm no expert, I'm just throwing the question out there.....
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #19
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default That's just foolishness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I could be 100% wrong. But just making a statement.. In all my years on the lake I have never seen a barge or anyone out moving rocks. You would think they would either blow them up or move only those that are posing significant hazards to major boating lanes.

Why would they be out moving a rock many times over. My own thought would be that the ice is moving them if they are that close to the surface.

Again not saying you are wrong just my own opinion.

I would hope they would be out spending money on more important things.
Just from an economic standpoint isn't it much less to mark them then to try to move them?
Of course you don't see them... They do it in the early winter just before the lake freezes over, during the night. I mean come on man, just because you don't see Santa or the Easter Bunny doesn't mean they don't come either... They sure do at my house or have you been bad???

Get your mask out and come take a look for yourself. (I told you of one prime example).

If it not the State that’s moving them, then who??? I suppose you're going to tell me it's Mother Nature... I ask, what's she got to gain from it???
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
trfour

Smile From Another Very Old LakeGeezer...

From my many years and very enjoyable boating adventures here on our Great Lake Winnipesaukee, besides starting out from the seat of anothers, so to speak, we used Duncan's and stayed pretty dry, 'cept for an occasional on porpoise dive into on a hot summer's day to cool off...
Now, another thing that I liked about the Duncan Press map was that it also showed the prominent surrounding mountain summit heights, as I enjoyed also snowmobiling from living here year round!

I also enjoy my BiZer 6th Edition Chart Of Lake Winnipesaukee, NH.

Lets put something into prospective over here! Of all the unfortunate mishap's, neither Duncan Press, and or BiZer Maps put anyone in danger!
They try to put the rest of us in the KNOW!
Dang Rather.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Are you pulling our leg? Rocks move? Anybody have an eplanation as to how dude they dude it?
Rocks Move..? Lest you people forget..and apparently some have forgotten the Shenanigans that went on on Rattlesnake this past winter. STUFF Happens that no one can explain. Just sayin. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
jrc

You guys got it all wrong. The marine patrol only moves rocks to put them back in the right place. Sometimes the ice moves them and sometimes people hit them. The MP will use the GPS coordinates and move them back. So if you see a rock out of place, call the MP.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Moving rocks of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I'm gonna say they are the fresh water, aquatic cousins of the Moving Death Valley Rocks. Yup, that they is. Never heard of the MDVR ? Whadda living under ... a ... hedge. Read all about it here. See this guy race, his name is Gonzales.

Nope the states not movin 'em, the ice ain't neither. It's da alienz. You've seen their spaceship. What more proof do ya need ?

{apologies to Al for the derailment. I now return y'all to your normal squabbling}
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post:
Gilligan (06-10-2010), Kracken (06-09-2010), OCDACTIVE (06-09-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (06-14-2010), Sandy Beach (06-10-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #24
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Red face Rock Movement

I believe the Rock Movement really started with Elvis.

And if I remember correctly, Elvis sightings around the lake have been noted on the Bizer map!

P.S. I'm not squabbling, just complaining about Duncan Press' many month efforts to debunk Bizer's claims rather than concerning themselves with posting accurate information about important matters like the area covered by the 45/25 Speed Limit and, to a lesser extent, the location of all the No Rafting Zones on their Duncan website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Gilligan (06-10-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (06-09-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
Pineedles

Quote:
I believe the Rock Movement really started with Elvis.
Thanks Al, for the first and hopefully not the last laugh for the day.

But actually it was Roy Orbison.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
Misty Blue

Default We use "Em both.

We use both Bizer and Duncan for different reasons.

Duncan has much better information on things "shoreward" of the Lake. When we have guests and they want to see where Geneiva Point is we use the Duncan. It just shows the land better.

When underway we use the Bizer. They do not worry about what is on the shore except for what is needed for navigation. It is less cluttered and easier to use. Just my 2 sents.

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 AM   #27
Gilligan

Arrow The Duncan web site is inaccurate, not so much their map.

I think some of you have missed the Skipper's point. Both Duncan and Bizer maps will get you around the lake. The problem is the Duncan web site. They concentrate on promoting their maps and countering Bizer's comparisons. Meanwhile some details on the Duncan map web site are inaccurate and corrections are not current which includes either omitting data or listing out of date information. Duncan does not seem to be responsive when notified of errors or oversights. On the other hand there have been repeated demonstrations of how very responsive Bizer has been and wants to be. Both have supported this web site with advertising but I have not seen Duncan ads lately.

Would you like getting a ticket for speeding out in the Broads because Duncan's web does not list it as being governed by the speed limit? They list the inside of Rattlesnake Island as a speed zone but not the Broads side or the whole lake. How about a ticket or a talking to from Marine Patrol for making a 3 boat raft in a no rafting zone that is not listed as such on the Duncan map or web site? How about trying to launch at Ames Farms ramp? Duncan's map shows it as open to the public with no web page correction indicating that it is limited to guests and not currently publically available? These are not new situations.

I agree. Duncan should get their own web site in order before they try to scrutinize their competitions claims.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #28
VtSteve

Without getting nit-picky, what is the real-world significance of a chart's website? While it would be nice if it was informative and totally accurate, is it not the chart or GPS map itself that is of importance?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #29
Sandy Beach

Lightbulb Nothin Fancy gone from Weirs and from Bizers web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Gee Skip it looks like Bizers web site could use a little updating also... How long has Nothin Fancy been gone from the Weirs... 5 years now??... yet it still shows up on Bizers web site as a restaurant in the Weirs!

Give it a rest and give Duncan press a break. They have been around a long time and offer boaters a quality product that has been used safely for decades.

Dan
Skipper, give it a rest after Duncan corrects their web pages.

ishoot308, For how many months should we give Duncan Press a break?

I looked at Bizer's web site and can not find Nothin Fancy listed as a Weirs area restaurant. Assuming you did see it listed two days ago and it doesn't seem to be listed today that sure says a lot for the attention Bizer gives to their information and desire for accuracy. Apparently Bizer's update took less than 2 days of it being brought to our or their attention. That's just a restaurant listing, what about more important issues? Duncan corrections or updates one or two years since notification and not corrected yet . Duhhh!

Following safe navigation routes on their map is one thing, no one is faulting that. Wrong, misleading or missing important information on the Duncan web site is quite another issue that should be addressed. Duncan promotes looking to it's web site for updated information and they should follow through. Some things have changed since their latest map was published in 2005.
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #30
Happy Gourmand

Default Lake Charts

I don't buy a chart and use it as a restaurant guide.
I don't buy a chart and use it to find no rafting zones.
I don't buy a chart to find out what the speed limit is.
I don't buy a chart to find current laws and rules
I don't buy a chart for etc. etc. etc.
I DO buy a chart to be able to help me safely navigate the lake and to point out the many hazardous areas that are a detriment to the safe operation of my boat.
My opinion is that BOTH charts do this beautifully. Some prefer the brown chart, others prefer the green chart. To each his/her own.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (06-10-2010)
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach View Post
Skipper, give it a rest after Duncan corrects their web pages.

ishoot308, For how many months should we give Duncan Press a break?

I looked at Bizer's web site and can not find Nothin Fancy listed as a Weirs area restaurant. Assuming you did see it listed two days ago and it doesn't seem to be listed today that sure says a lot for the attention Bizer gives to their information and desire for accuracy. Apparently Bizer's update took less than 2 days of it being brought to our or their attention. That's just a restaurant listing, what about more important issues? Duncan corrections or updates one or two years since notification and not corrected yet . Duhhh!

Following safe navigation routes on their map is one thing, no one is faulting that. Wrong, misleading or missing important information on the Duncan web site is quite another issue that should be addressed. Duncan promotes looking to it's web site for updated information and they should follow through. Some things have changed since their latest map was published in 2005.
Sandy Beach;

I don't have a dog in this fight and really don't care what chart you use.

My point is Duncan and Bizer are the only two companies that offer decent navigation charts for Winni. Why continually slam (and yes Al "Skipper of the Sea Que" has repeatedly slammed Duncan) a company that has produced a decent product for MANY years. Would you be happier if there was only one available chart to use and purchase?? Personally I find the back and forth bickering on this subject ridiculous and in poor taste. Let's allow both products to stand on their own merit and the boating public can decide which chart they want to to use. (I use both by the way)

Both Bizer and Duncan offer a quality product that serves a wonderful purpose to all boaters. I see no reason to bash either company as the product they each offer may not be perfect, but both are very useful to the boating public.

Just an fyi...Mr Bizer did contact me via P.M. to inform me he had updated his web site and removed Nothin Fancy from his restaurant listing. Hopefully all boaters will feel much safer navigating with this revision...

Have a great weekend!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-10-2010 at 12:35 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (06-11-2010), Pineedles (06-10-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #32
mcn520

Default happy boating

The stuff you people argue about on here is just insane!
Put a navigation unit on the boat and forget the charts!
mcn520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #33
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default No Thanks

I have a GPS with a Winni map, but there is no way I am going to rely on that alone. Electronics fail, batteries die but my trusty Bizer chart (The Duncan looks good framed and on the wall) remains on the boat and ready when needed!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (06-14-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #34
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcn520 View Post
While I agree with you some of the conversations here get a bit out of hand I definately have to agree with Vitabene.

I have a GPS but I wouldnt leave the dock without a chart no matter what year it was printed.. It has too much information that could be needed in any situation.

It was like when I cut my compass out to replace it with a GPS. I love the gps but I installed a smaller manual compass as well. ALWAYS have back up in a boat. There are no emergency pull off lanes.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #35
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
While I agree with you some of the conversations here get a bit out of hand I definately have to agree with Vitabene.

I have a GPS but I wouldnt leave the dock without a chart no matter what year it was printed.. It has too much information that could be needed in any situation.

It was like when I cut my compass out to replace it with a GPS. I love the gps but I installed a smaller manual compass as well. ALWAYS have back up in a boat. There are no emergency pull off lanes.
Agreed, even the most experienced captains on ocean going vessels have standardized charts for back-up.

I run into this all the time with folks hunting in the woods. They have a GPS and think that they are all set. Even though I am extremely good with my GPS, I still have and Know how to use a compass with and without a map. Always give yourself as many options to get out of a situation as possible. Better safe than sorry.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #36
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default For my money:

Quote:
I use my knowledge of the lake and my eyes, my Bizer chart (that's what I started with), and then my GPS with a Winni Map.

My chart is always handy, but when I am in area I am not that familiar with, the chart is out and in plain view to be utilized. I then back up those observations with the GPS.

I heard a story quite a few years ago about someone running into an island (sober) and when the MP asked what happened, he said the island wasn't on his GPS map . Not sure it is true, but makes for a good story.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #37
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

I heard a story quite a few years ago about someone running into an island (sober) and when the MP asked what happened, he said the island wasn't on his GPS map . Not sure it is true, but makes for a good story.
That is funny!

I don't know how true this one is but apparently someone rented a boat and tore up the outdrive. When asked what happened, he said that he was told to just follow the black hash marks on the chart, but when he got out there there were no hash marks to follow in the water..

Pretty Funny!
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #38
Mee-n-Mac

Wink It's the 2'nd thing to go w/age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Agreed, even the most experienced captains on ocean going vessels have standardized charts for back-up.

I run into this all the time with folks hunting in the woods. They have a GPS and think that they are all set. Even though I am extremely good with my GPS, I still have and Know how to use a compass with and without a map. Always give yourself as many options to get out of a situation as possible. Better safe than sorry.
Just to add to the above ...

Every year I make note of the compass headings to go/from a few various points on the lake so should I lose power for the GPS (and it's backup batteries) on a dark dreary night, I'll not have to figure them (headings) out from the chart.

Alas every year I forget what they were so ...

Every year I make note of ...

This year I'm marking them on a chart.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #39
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Crashed because Island not on GPS map

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
(... maybe we need a law banning GPSs to avoid this kind of dangerous accident )

That jogged my memory too Upthesaukee... so, here it is from the forum archives:

Re: BIZER - GPS System

Posted By: Corning Benton
Date: Thursday, December 6, 2001 at 7:43 p.m.

In Response To: BIZER - GPS System (Woodsy)

A family of four from Wellesley Hills Massachusetts purchased a 27 ft. Rinker cruiser from Silver Sands Marina on a Saturday afternoon in July, 2000. They anchored off Ragged Island at dusk, planning to spend the night. At 0100 Sunday, a Marine Patrol officer woke them up, gave them a ticket for anchoring overnight, and told them that they would have to leave the area and spend the rest of the night on mainland. They did not own a navigation map, but they did have a GPS StreetPilot or equivalent instrument aboard loaded with automobile map software. Using GPS as the primary navigation aid, they set out for Silver Sands Marina, but apparently mistook Weirs Bay for Saunders Bay on the GPS display. Unfortunately, Eagle Island is not represented on their automobile software and the driver, keeping his distance from Stonedam, Pitchwood, and Governors Islands, navigated traveling at a good clip right into our dock.

The cruiser struck the center of 21’ Slickcraft Caroling's transom and then ran over most of Caroling's superstructure, smashing the windshield frame and causing other extensive damage. Caroling was torn from her moorings and thrust into both the pontoon boat Big B and the Boston Whaler, damaging them slightly. The cruiser was virtually undamaged, losing only the port navigation light and the bow anchor support was twisted about 15 degrees.

The sound of the crash, about as loud as a thunderclap, woke us all up in the house. Daughter Lisa, in the attic dormer bedroom, saw Caroling's searchlight on, and realised something was amiss at the dock. The cruiser driver, still incredulous at his software's failure, said to me as we introduced ourselves, "Your Island does not exist!" It was a very contemporary accident, in that the cruiser driver truly considered that the primary cause of the accident was incorrect software.

We contacted Marine Control after we had determined that there was no personal injury and had secured the boats. Marine Control promptly sent over three officers in one boat, and two more men came out with a pump when water leaking into Caroling through a ruptured transom seal was recognized.

Caroling was towed to Glendale Marine and put on the ground. She has been declared by the insurance examiner a total loss. Our replacement boat is a 1989 21’ SunBird from Glendale Marine. Its name is Carolingding.

This was written by Corning Benton, who then was the Eagle Island owner.

--end archive quote

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
Joe Kerr (06-16-2010), Just Sold (06-18-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (06-16-2010)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM   #40
Joe Kerr

Thumbs up crashing into a non-existant island

It is too true. Wonder if that crash into Eagle would have happened if the Safe Boater Certificate program were in place back then? Would it have made a difference? Either the Bizer or Duncan map would have been a help if they knew how to use them.

BTW, those people who only have a Duncan map and rely on their web pages for updated information are being shortchanged in my opinion. The misinformation has been on Duncan's pages for a long time. Much longer than their attempts to point out what they believe are wrong with Bizer's claims.

Come on Duncan Press. Get your act together!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #41
Mark

Question Duncan Map buoy numbering system on all spars. How do you use them?

The Duncan map has numbers on almost all 700 buoys on Lake Winnipesaukee. Their web site says these make it easy to locate you when you use the number of the buoy you are near. They are not talking about the 84 numbered Flashing Light buoys but the red tops, black tops and channel markers.

If I call for help and say I'm right near marker number 231, where am I? How will you or the safety services or Marine Patrol easily find me? I don't understand this.

Copied today from HERE Duncan says, "To repeat: the buoy numbers aren't on the buoys themselves, just on the charts.

Nonetheless, the fellow out of gas will be able to call his boatowner's service and, with his chart, simply say "I'm right around number seven-sixty-seven." The person on the other end will use his computer or GPS to look up the number (the name of the lake is part of the number, as is the location and buoy-type), and, in seconds, land on the approximate coordinate of the "victim."
QED!"

QED means 'Thus It Has Been Proved'. What did they prove and how did they do it?

Meanwhile on Bizer's web site copied today from HERE they say, "Q06> Why doesn't Bizer number all the buoys?

A> In an email dated 19-Apr-06, the NH Marine Patrol advised Bizer,
The MP is not numbering spar buoys. I am aware that Duncan Press numbered a Newfound Chart, however that was their doing. We have no plans to mark spars with any numbers at this time.

In an email dated 30-Apr-06, addressed to Bizer and Duncan Press, The Marine Patrol said, in part,
In addition, we are not using buoy numbers except for the flashing light buoys, and do not intend to use or mark spar buoys with numbers."

Is this another example of misinformation from Duncan Press or what?
What did Duncan Press prove?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #42
DBreskin

Quote:
There's no reason to think a GPS's electronic chart is any more or less accurate than a printed chart.

Years ago (and probably still) people would think a fact was true just because they read it on the internet. The same applies to GPS charts; people believe they are accurate because they are electronic. GPS charts have no more guarantee of accuracy than a printed chart. And as many have mentioned above, a printed chart will never fail because of dead batteries.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-18-2010), VitaBene (06-19-2010)