Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Summer camps in the Lakes region

I hope this is the appropriate place to bring up this topic.

Still today, and even more in the past, summer camps (boys or girls, and in some cases mixed) were very popular in this region. These camps ranged from private, independent businesses to agency camps, school camps, church camps, and other types of sponsorship.

My family owned and operated Camp Wyanoke for Boys in Winter Harbor between 1909 and 1975. During that time we associated with other camps in the area through sports, shared use of property for camping, and, in the case of girl's camps an occassional social evening.

Many of these camps are no longer operating, but quite a few are still active. So, the basic topic of discussion is whether or not you are in the lakes region now because you were in the lakes region then as a camper at one of these camps.

My personal guess is yes.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Bear Island South

We sent our son and daughter to the Y camps on Bear Island, they each spent ten years as campers and counselors.
After a couple of years of droppng them off and picking them up we decided to buy a boat, a 24' cruiser, we then spent our summers sleeping on the boat a Shep Browns. After a few years of that it was time to look for a place, low and behold we end up on Bear not far from Camp Lawrence.
This is now our 7th summer at our Lake House - Life is Good!
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
Just Sold

My dad was a camp councilor at Camp Lawrence in the late 1920's early 1930's. Camp Lawrence has been around since 1906.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
DBreskin

Default Camp Robin Hood in Freedom

I spent my childhood summers at Camp Robin Hood in Freedom, on Ossipee's Broad Bay. Except for a few years in my 20s, I've been back for one or two weeks every summer. The past 15 or so years have been on Winnipesaukee.

Summering in NH has been a family tradition since my Grandfather and his brothers founded Camp Robin Hood in 1927. The camp is still in operation under different ownership.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
skprbob

Thanks for this thread, Campguy!

I was a camper and counsellor for 14 summers at the former Camp Idlewild on Cow Island, 1962 through its closing season in 1975. I went on to a career teaching science in the prep school world, but kept coming back to the Lake every summer. I worked various summer jobs on the Lake - was a Marine Patrol officer lots of those years, eventually landing with Winni Flagship, now full time.

The camp/lake experience was clearly a major influence in my life - still is. The current popularity of social media has helped gather a number of Idlewild alumni and has resulted in a summer reunion of sorts the last two summers. It's great to find out that there's a tremendous amount of loyalty to the camp after all these years - how many of us truly value the experience we had as youngsters.

Hope to hear a lot more from other former campers and staff.
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
bclaker

Default Camp Cody

My granddaughter has been going to Camp Cody on Ossippee Lake for a month, the last half dozen years. This year she was a Junior councilor.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/summercamps/photos

Reminds me of Trailblazers Camp in Atkinson, that I used to go to as a kid, but much larger.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
SunsetPointWentworth

Why have summer camps been disappearing over the past 40 years? Is it the price of lakefront property?
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ....some tax exempt summer camps; yes or no?

www.winaukee.com is home to many campers in the summer and probably pays some big, whopper-sized property tax to the Town of Moultonborough.

Ironically, www.lwhs.us/menotomy.htm, down the end of Meredith Neck probably pays no property tax to the Town of Meredith because it is owned by the Girl Scouts and is a ghost of its former self what with little to no campers anymore. Yes, it has a large waterfront parcel of land but the camper life and activity is no longer there? If it were not tax exempt, it would probably have had to be sold off maybe ten or so years ago.

What to do.....what to do....have to wonder what's in the future for Camp Monotomy? ......... oh .....where-o-where have all the Girl Scout campers gone......and will they ever return........O.....will they ever return.

If you is a bear or a deer or a fox.....then Camp Monotomy makes a wonderfull home......because it is very heavily wooded and posted for No Hunting......plus it is nice to have a large piece of waterfront land that is very treed and very undeveloped., and very empty. It has lots of potential.......and needs something to return it to a its former camp self?

Bob Behre's mansion on clay point in Alton .... www.campalton.com .... used to be a Camp Alton baseball diamond and outfield and wooded area high up on clay point with a big, huge lake view ......... & did Camp Alton pay property taxes to the Town of Alton........yes, it did!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth View Post
Why have summer camps been disappearing over the past 40 years? Is it the price of lakefront property?
That is correct. I think many of them are non-profits so they don't pay taxes which allows them to remain viable.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
SunsetPointWentworth (08-22-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Pricestavern

Default Belknap

My uncle had a place on Cow Island looking across Orchard Cove at Idlewild. My family spent two weeks every summer at his cabin. The best part was when my family had to head back to New York, I was dropped off at Camp Belknap for another two (and one time, four) glorious weeks! I spent 5 summers at Belknap and the memories are as clear as yesterday. Between Cow Island and Camp Belknap, you know I just HAD to get my own place in paradise!

Pursue and Persist, my friends. Pursue and Persist
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
KPW (08-22-2013)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
ApS

Smile Funny How Things Work Out !

For four years, I was a "happy-camper" at Camp Wyanoke in Wolfeboro—Kinfolk went to the "Sister Camp" Camp Winnemont in Ossipee.

One Sunday, five of us Wyanokers decided to walk to Wolfeboro Airpark, and posed next to a silver Republic SeaBee amphibian. (Stored there many years).

Little did I know that the trees and property appearing in the background would one day belong to me!

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Balloonshopgirl (06-08-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
RailroadJoe

Sometimes dreams come true.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
Dad sold the C * C

Yes they do
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
jkjoshuatree

Default I Need To Know...

Which one are you in the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
For four years, I was a "happy-camper" at Camp Wyanoke in Wolfeboro—Kinfolk went to the "Sister Camp" Camp Winnemont in Ossipee.

One Sunday, five of us Wyanokers decided to walk to Wolfeboro Airpark, and posed next to a silver Republic SeaBee amphibian. (Stored there many years).

Little did I know that the trees and property appearing in the background would one day belong to me!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Camp Belknap

I went to Camp Belknap in the 1960's. I remember admiring the camp powerboat: Nymca? I know I really enjoyed the lake but I remember being very homesick.

From about 1970 on I spent every year boating on the lake and spent every free moment and vacation here. For many years, as I rode around in the boat, I always wondered how you could get to a point where you could own a home on the lake and was envious of those who could. It really seemed out of reach.

I finally got that chance in 2003 and it has been a great experience. Just two nights ago, sitting on the dock (possibly with an adult beverage in hand) I marveled at how lucky I was to have the opportunity to live on the lake and I am still very appreciative of every moment here. In truth, I still can't believe I am here.

About 5 years ago 8 family members were visiting (including my brother who went to Camp Belknap) and we took the boat over and tied up there. As we walked through the property and looked into the cabins a lot of memories came back.

The place still smells the same (in a good way!) and it looked as though not much had changed. In this case, it seems that change would not be a good thing. It was a great experience for both my brother and I.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (06-08-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #16
Bear Islander

I am at the lake due to my father-in-law attending Camp Samoset in the 1930s. He brought my wife to the lake many times when she was young. Samoset is now condos in Gilford.

I met my wife at a summer camp in 1958 at a different NH lake. But when it was time for us to vacation Winni was the choice.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
Pine Island Guy

I was lucky enough to go to Camp Belknap for 2 years ('64/'65) and then even luckier with a new adventure at Camp Idlewild for 2 years ('67/'68).

My father went to Camp Idlewild in the mid-30's and then was a counselor there for 2 years... he will be 93 on July 7th, and hopefully we will get him out to Pine Island again for the day... last year thanks to SkprBob (also an Idlewild alumni) the Captain of the Sophie C gave him a nice birthday shout-out and got the passengers to wave as they went by!

My two off-spring went to the Y-camps on Bear Island for 3 years in the early '90s.

I loved the lake and my parent's house on the island so much, that when their neighbor's house came up for sale in 1998... I bought it!

Enjoy the summer! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #18
Coolbreeze

I went to Belknap in the 80s and the whole experience is considered to be my "happy place". You know, the place you take yourself back to when everything else currently happening sucks!
I hope my kids get the opportunity to try it when they get older. It was a time of my life that was really wonderful. Yes, it keeps me coming back to the lake!
ApS your story of the picture and now owning the land in the back is great, congratulations to you-
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #19
winnisummergal

Camp Bernadette in the late 70's early 80's for me. Great memories.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnisummergal For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
Greene's Basin Girl

I always wanted to go to camp. When I was growing up I use to read the Nancy & Sluggo comic books. Nancy went to camp and she had so much fun. When I would ask to go to camp my mother would always answer by saying we have our own camp on Lake Winnipesaukee. We always spent our entire summers on the lake so I couldn't argue with her, but I still feel that I missed something by not going to camp.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I always wanted to go to camp. When I was growing up I use to read the Nancy & Sluggo comic books. Nancy went to camp and she had so much fun. When I would ask to go to camp my mother would always answer by saying we have our own camp on Lake Winnipesaukee. We always spent our entire summers on the lake so I couldn't argue with her, but I still feel that I missed something by not going to camp.
Exactly opposite for me GBG. I was up all summer at our cottage and couldn't understand why I was sent to Belknap for 2 weeks. I did have fun, but too many rules and regs. for an independent cuss like me.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #22
Pine Island Guy

Talking i think i know why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I was up all summer at our cottage and couldn't understand why I was sent to Belknap for 2 weeks
Pine - I wondered they same thing growing up... now I'm assuming it was so my parents could get a break for a month from me and my brothers and enjoy the lake themselves!!

-PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
camp guy

Default Summer camps in the Lakes region

I can speak directly to this point. My family owned and operated camp Wyanoke in Winter Harbor until 1975.

So, the question is: I live on the Lake for the summer, why do I have to go to summer camp?

The answer is because at the camp you get many more experiences than you do living at home. Sure, water is water, and you can swim when at home, but can you take Junior Life Saving classes, Senior Life Saving Classes, Small Boat Operator classes, etc., etc. Okay, you have a reasonable large lot, but can you find 17 other people your age to play baseball with, can you find 3 others to play tennis doubles with, do you have a sailboat, several sailboats so you can have races, canoes, rowboats, etc., etc. On a rainy day do you have a crafts shop to work in, do you have the ability to watch a movie on a regular basis, who is leading and teaching you about mountain climbing, etc., etc. What about the activities you might be exposed to such as horseback riding, wrestling, boxing, gymnastics, track, archery, riflery, campcraft skills, edtc., etc.

When you live at home do you have the opportunity (!) to make your own bed, clean up after yourself and others, eat a table with 7 or 8 other men and boys and talk about the activities of the day, events happening around the country and world. At home, are you exposed to people from other lands and cultures?

The is no question that spending the summer at the Lake can be a lot of fun, but, there is also no question that being at a summer camp provides exposure to a lot of activities not normally available to someone living at home.

It is not for me to tell you which to do (although I am understandably prejudiced toward summer camp), and in a perfect world you might ought to do both.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Marauder (06-24-2014), Pine Island Guy (06-16-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Summer camps

Well said Camp-Guy.

My parent lives in Laconia but weekends in Gilford on the lake. This was before the bypass and roads were back roads. Seems like it took forever to get to the camp!
I went to Y-Day camp during the week when I was not in school. For a week or two every summer, I would go to 4-H camp at Bear Brook State Park. It was wicked cool going to another lake! The last summer I was too old for summer camp yet too young for a summer job. I CIT for the YMCA camp in Exeter NH. Hanging out with the older counselors, believe me I was not at my best behavior!

Back in the days it was great to see all the old camps around the lake. Now I see 'gaudy' mcmansions.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
znh

This is a great article on the 'Best Summer Camps in the US'

When first reading this I was pleasantly surprised to see how many were in a little state like New Hampshire.

http://www.topeducationdegrees.org/5...ps-in-the-u-s/

I went to camp many years as a kid, it was absolutely the best time. It's great my kids have so much time on the lake during the summer but I really want them to experience everything 'camp' can bring them and hopefully bring them that much more joy and closer to the lake. In a couple of years when they are a little older we will certainly be sending them away to some local Winni camps for a week or two.
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
Bernie Girl

As you can tell from my name I'm a Bernadette girl. I went to camp for 8 weeks every summer throughout the 60s into the early 70s. I could not get enough of camp and was sad for weeks after leaving at the end of the summer. My years at camp definitely influenced my love for the state of NH and the lakes region. My first summer I met one of my best friends to this day, I was 7 and she was 6. We both have homes on Winnie and can still be heard belting out a good camp song when the spirit moves us!
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Girl For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-17-2017), winnisummergal (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #27
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I can speak directly to this point. My family owned and operated camp Wyanoke in Winter Harbor until 1975.

So, the question is: I live on the Lake for the summer, why do I have to go to summer camp?

The answer is because at the camp you get many more experiences than you do living at home. Sure, water is water, and you can swim when at home, but can you take Junior Life Saving classes, Senior Life Saving Classes, Small Boat Operator classes, etc., etc. Okay, you have a reasonable large lot, but can you find 17 other people your age to play baseball with, can you find 3 others to play tennis doubles with, do you have a sailboat, several sailboats so you can have races, canoes, rowboats, etc., etc. On a rainy day do you have a crafts shop to work in, do you have the ability to watch a movie on a regular basis, who is leading and teaching you about mountain climbing, etc., etc. What about the activities you might be exposed to such as horseback riding, wrestling, boxing, gymnastics, track, archery, riflery, campcraft skills, edtc., etc.

When you live at home do you have the opportunity (!) to make your own bed, clean up after yourself and others, eat a table with 7 or 8 other men and boys and talk about the activities of the day, events happening around the country and world. At home, are you exposed to people from other lands and cultures?

The is no question that spending the summer at the Lake can be a lot of fun, but, there is also no question that being at a summer camp provides exposure to a lot of activities not normally available to someone living at home.

It is not for me to tell you which to do (although I am understandably prejudiced toward summer camp), and in a perfect world you might ought to do both.
camp guy, I did say I had fun at camp but, here is my reasoning for preferring to stay at our camp. And PIG, I think you're right, time off as parents are needed sometimes.

Swimming:
I've been swimming since before I could crawl. And I went to YMCA in the winter months and earned Jr. and Senior lifesaving certificates. My problem was the "buddy check" system that the camp employed. Every few minutes the lifeguards would blow their whistles and whomever you were assigned to as a buddy had to clasp hands above the water till all swimmers were accounted for. I understand why they did it but on several occasions I was swimming underwater, didn't hear the whistle and therefore missed the "buddy check". Twice in a row and I had to sit on the dock for several minutes as a punishment. Eventually was banned from the water for a complete day.

Boating:
Been operating a motorboat, sailboat, kayak, and canoe, etc. since slightly after I learned to walk.

Sports and outdoor activities:
No, back at the cottage we didn't play baseball but with nearly a dozen cousins around we did play some hairy games of kick-the-can. But on a positive note the archery classes, rifle range, nature identification walks were definitely the high points about summer camp.

Mess hall:
At the cottage we kids usually ate together at an outdoor circular table with a huge lazy-susan in the middle which when spun at a certain velocity could land a dish of pork and bean directly into my cousins lap. At camp, all I remember is being dared to eat a whole stick of butter and spending the next day in the scollege (Camp Belknap's word for outhouse).

There is no denying that summer camp can be a fun, learning experience for all kids. And even today I occasionally send Belknap a contribution, so although the swimming experience wasn't pleasant I do credit Camp Belknap with my love of shooting and archery.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #28
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
Me too! That's why I sent my kids to camp. We had the place on the lake, but I couldn't be there with them all summer, we only had weekends. I thought two weeks at Y camp would be good for all of us.

For several years my boys spent two weeks of each summer at Camp Lawrence and thoroughly enjoyed it. My daughter went to Pleasant Valley Camp in Tuftonboro for two weeks each summer for several years as well.

They all have great memories. For us, two weeks at camp was just the right amount of time. My oldest son lives in Maryland and has two young boys of his own. His siblings think it would be awesome if their nephews went to camp on Lake Winnipesaukee!
Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
HomeWood

My family ended up with a house on Winnipesaukee partially due to my dad and his brothers going to camp Belknap regularly. Then it was decided that buying a house made sense and my grandparents thought years into the future that it would be a great retirement house and it sure was. They purchased it circa 1960 and in January 2014, it was sold because extended family can be very greedy when it comes to cashing in on estates. I will miss boat rides over to camp Belknap with my dad just so he can take a quick peek at the camp for fun. The search for another lake house up there continues for us.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Donzi Minx

Camp Idlewild on Cow Island, man aqua planing behind the Riot, sailing, general swim, cabins on rainy nights, and home made ice cream just an outstanding experience for a snot nosed kid, whose family had a cottage in West Alton, on the lake just down from the Wise Owl. First saw barefoot water skiing (on the flat bottomed Jack Purcels) and thought I could master that...was I wrong. Bless the Roy's many great memories for me.
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Donzi Minx For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (06-23-2014)
Old 06-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #31
chipj29

I spent a couple weeks at Camp Lawrence in the mid-70's, and my sister went to Nokomis twice I think in the mid-70's.
Just the other day she and I were cleaning out my Mom's condo (she recently moved to assisted living) and came across some letters from both of us from the respective camps. I am amazed that she saved those for all these years.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #32
Merrymeeting

Our boys went to Belknap for several years. Our daughter ended up at Camp Huckins on Ossipee for many years, several as a camper, and many more as a counselor.

All of them have very fond memories of their time at camp, despite always having a lakeside home to return to.

As for why mom and dad sent them to camp? The reasons have been stated earlier. I had attended/worked at Bald Peak Caddy Camp in my teens and it remains one of my "happy places" decades later.

Reason two: also stated earlier... it was a very nice vacation for mom and dad
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #33
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
Camp Idlewild on Cow Island, man aqua planing behind the Riot, sailing, general swim, cabins on rainy nights, and home made ice cream just an outstanding experience for a snot nosed kid, whose family had a cottage in West Alton, on the lake just down from the Wise Owl. First saw barefoot water skiing (on the flat bottomed Jack Purcels) and thought I could master that...was I wrong. Bless the Roy's many great memories for me.
I'm an Idlewild alumni also....lived in Red Fox lodge.......
loved the riot and the riot jr. Learned to sail there. The Roys were a wonderful family who brought the camping experience and a love for the lake to many generations of kids.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #34
Grant

How about this... My grandfather and his brothers went to Wyanoke in the 1920-1928 timeframe. That led my grandfather to buy a place on the Lake in 1945.

My brother, my cousin, my two sons & I all went to and worked at Belknap...probably for a combined 38-40 years. My daughters went to Camp Huckins in Freedom for a combined ~22 years...from the age of 8 to (in one case) 22.

I guess you could say we were heavily invested in the whole YMCA camp thing in the region. Some of the best days of all of our lives.