Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Bird Photography

I am a wildlife photographer, here are some bird images that I've captured here in the Lakes Region.

Blue Jay taken in my backyard.

Male House Finch taken in my backyard.

Female House Finch taken in my backyard.

Cedar Waxwing taken in Meredith across from town docks.

Bohemian Waxwing taken in the parking lot of Lakes region General Hospital.

Killdeer taken on the banks of Opeechee.
Argie's Wife (04-01-2010), DRH (03-28-2010), Eagle (03-29-2010), jack1706 (03-27-2010), LIforrelaxin (04-09-2010), Misakame (03-27-2010), Pepper (03-27-2010), Resident 2B (03-28-2010), secondcurve (03-28-2010), SteveA (07-07-2012), Sunbeam lodge (03-28-2010), trfour (03-27-2010), webmaster (03-28-2010), Whimsey (03-28-2010), WinnDixie (03-29-2010), Winni P (03-30-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Nagigator

Smile great shots

Those are super photos of the birds. Now I know who the red-headed guy is, the male house finch, who's been visiting my feeder!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nagigator For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-27-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagigator View Post
Those are super photos of the birds. Now I know who the red-headed guy is, the male house finch, who's been visiting my feeder!
Thank you for the kind words. Be aware though that your visitor could be our state bird, the Purple Finch. As you can see from the image below they do look quite a bit alike.

LIforrelaxin (04-09-2010)
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
JoeG

Nothing prettier than a Waxwing
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
magicrobotmonkey

Wow, you must either have a really nice lens or be really sneaky!
magicrobotmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Nagigator

Default cool

No, its no question, its the finch. We were wondering if it was a grosbeak. Thanks for the clarifcation!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Great photography. Makes my photos look like stick figure drawings. What equipment do you use if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
Pepper

Default Check out his website ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Great photography. Makes my photos look like stick figure drawings. What equipment do you use if you don't mind me asking?
Click on the link below to see more of Paul's amazing photography - and when you view individual photos there's even info regarding the camera, etc! I could spend all day looking at the truly amazing photos he takes!!!
http://www.airedale1photography.com/
Old 03-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Pepper, thanks for the kind words and SIKSUKR all of the photos were taken with one type of Canon camera or another. I've used Canon equipment for well over 40 years now. When digital cameras came into being, I started out with a point and shoot Canon G1 and then another point and shoot Canon Pro-1 and then I switched to Canon DSLR bodies with a Canon 20D and now currently I use a Canon 40D with a Canon 400mm f/5.6L lens for bird photography.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
I am a wildlife photographer, here are some bird images that I've captured here in the Lakes Region.
You have taken some fantastic photo's and enjoyed the ones listed in posting very much. Oh ya to the forum.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Pepper, thanks for the kind words and SIKSUKR all of the photos were taken with one type of Canon camera or another. I've used Canon equipment for well over 40 years now. When digital cameras came into being, I started out with a point and shoot Canon G1 and then another point and shoot Canon Pro-1 and then I switched to Canon DSLR bodies with a Canon 20D and now currently I use a Canon 40D with a Canon 400mm f/5.6L lens for bird photography.
awesome bird shots. I too love to photograph birds, nature, wildlife and will be moving up to Tuftonboro this summer with my 400 lens. I need more time to get out there.
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
Airedale1

Thanks RLW for the kind words and welcome.

Lucy Goose, I checked out your site. Excellent work and the site looks and sounds great. You are very gifted. It tales a special person to do wedding photography. The stress would kill me.

If you get a chance check out my buddy Gino Lucadamo's wedding site it's called Story by Photo and he is out of Scottsdale, AZ. I wish I had a 10th of his talent.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Argie's Wife

I've seen your work before - very nice - and thanks for joining the forum and sharing these with us! Amazing photos - I'm just blown away at the detail you've captured.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
donnamatrix

Default Angry Peregrine Mom

This photo was taken 2 years ago by Chris Martin, the senior biologist at NH Audubon. This is the nestbox (called a scrape) for the Peregrine falcons in Manchester on top of Brady Sullivan Building. I have been very fortunate to have been invited by Chris to participate in the banding of the young Peregrine falcons (called eyases)... it can always be a bit tricky removing the chicks to band them, and then to return them to the nest if Mom gets anxious. In this photo you can see she was rather peeved!

Airedale1-during the summer come out to Poplar Island in Moultonboro Bay and watch the bald eagles as they raise their young. This will be third year for eaglets on Poplar. It's awesome.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Airedale1

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
This photo was taken 2 years ago by Chris Martin, the senior biologist at NH Audubon. This is the nestbox (called a scrape) for the Peregrine falcons in Manchester on top of Brady Sullivan Building. I have been very fortunate to have been invited by Chris to participate in the banding of the young Peregrine falcons (called eyases)... it can always be a bit tricky removing the chicks to band them, and then to return them to the nest if Mom gets anxious. In this photo you can see she was rather peeved!

Airedale1-during the summer come out to Poplar Island in Moultonboro Bay and watch the bald eagles as they raise their young. This will be third year for eaglets on Poplar. It's awesome.
Super image and I would love to get a look at the eagles.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
donnamatrix

Default Eagles

Poplar is right across from Camp Tecumseh - owned by the camp actually, it's private, and nobody should step foot on it, because of nesting wildlife. However, you'll see many of us Forum folks out there: The Eagle, Sunset Bob, us ... I keep a running commentary and images for Chris Martin. In past 2 years the nest has been blown down by storms. The chicks (3 the first year, only 1 last year) all survived, although on land, not in trees. It's just so awesome to watch them. Also, PSNH has a video cam on an Osprey nest in New Hampton that Chris helped to move away from electrical wires:
http://www.psnh.com/Osprey/default.asp

And there is also a cam on the Manchester Peregrines-only one chick this year:
http://www.spectraaccess.com/falcon2/

Have fun!
Donna
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Airedale1

Donna thank you very much for the info I look forward to seeing you all out there.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #18
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Wonderful Photography!

Airedale1, thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures! You are the kind of Forum member that helps make Winnipesaukee.com a great place to visit.

Thanks for the cool web links donnamatrix!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Poplar is right across from Camp Tecumseh - owned by the camp actually, it's private, and nobody should step foot on it, because of nesting wildlife. However, you'll see many of us Forum folks out there: The Eagle, Sunset Bob, us ...
Ok, so it is a privately own Island, there is known nesting rare wildlife, and you knowing admit that nobody should be out there.....

Yet you openly admit that you do? and then to top it off you throw others under the bus with you??

This is the problem with people today, they know right from wrong. However they don't know how to control their impulses. When an Eagle gets pissed at you don't come looking for sympathy.....

They have these things called Binoculars, and telephoto lens for camera's I use them all the time, it is a great way to view nature and live it in peace.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
donnamatrix

Default Excuse me?

We are not ON the island, we are on our boats near the island. As a matter of fact, I am at the island expressly at the invitation of NH Audubon. We all use binoculars. We also help keep NHAudubon updated ... when the nest blew down last year, I was able to send Chris Martin photos to prove that it was gone, and he was out at the Island ASAP to ensure the chick was okay.
In the mean time, I have two words for you.... imagine what they might be.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #21
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
We are not ON the island, we are on our boats near the island. As a matter of fact, I am at the island expressly at the invitation of NH Audubon. We all use binoculars. We also help keep NHAudubon updated ... when the nest blew down last year, I was able to send Chris Martin photos to prove that it was gone, and he was out at the Island ASAP to ensure the chick was okay.
In the mean time, I have two words for you.... imagine what they might be.
That is not what your message implies... let me quote here "and nobody should step foot on it, because of nesting wildlife. However, you'll see many of us Forum folks out there" Now you leave yourself to interpretation at this point. You state that nobody should step foot on it.... then you say "However you'll see many of us Forum folks out there" now to me, when you say However you'll see many of us Forum folks out there in that context I interpret that to mean, that even though you know you shouldn't you are on the island. It is that term However that gets you into trouble....

You left yourself wide open to interpretation.... So don't you dare try and spurt two words at me unless you are ready to eat them..... Wording is everything when communicating in this media... if you had left that word "however" out of that sentence that brings a entirely new meaning to what you had to say. Don't get angry at me if you don't word something right. I have no way of knowing how you intend something to mean, I have to interpret it from the way it is written.

Now on to other issues, if this island is not listed sanctuary, legally people don't have to stay off of it by the way....They simply need the owners permission to be on it....As I can only hope your Audubon friend has made sure he has done.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
donnamatrix

Default Interpretation

Everything written or spoken is open to interpretation-you're right. HOWEVER, by stating it is private property, I felt I'd made it clear that people aren't supposed to traipse about on the land. I must be more circumspect in my fiuture comments. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Everything written or spoken is open to interpretation-you're right. HOWEVER, by stating it is private property, I felt I'd made it clear that people aren't supposed to traipse about on the land. I must be more circumspect in my future comments. Thanks for your input.
It not a big deal, it is what it is, we all take things out of context... you flamed me, I flamed you...It a forum and this is what it is all about, if we where talking face to face interpretation would be much easier.. Now whom should be the next target for some flaming comments!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
Lucy Goose

Quote:
Thanks RLW for the kind words and welcome.

Lucy Goose, I checked out your site. Excellent work and the site looks and sounds great. You are very gifted. It tales a special person to do wedding photography. The stress would kill me.

If you get a chance check out my buddy Gino Lucadamo's wedding site it's called Story by Photo and he is out of Scottsdale, AZ. I wish I had a 10th of his talent.
Thanks for the kind words. You can tell Gino for me he is awesome!!!
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
ApS

Thumbs up A Very Pretty Bird, Too!

Quote:
"...Cedar Waxwing taken in Meredith across from town docks.
Last week, I heard a Cedar Waxwing overhead, but couldn't see it. (The sound is a weak, high-pitched "seet").

Later, right near the water, I saw a female Cedar Waxwing pulling at something in branches: looking closer, I watched the same action repeated, and then saw the bird was picking off spiders on the web!

Some spiders were reluctant to depart their webs, and had the Cedar Waxwing pulling strongly—in reverse!

But by the time the Cedar Waxwing left, there were no spiders to be seen—where once, there had been many.

I always wondered why birds (or bats) didn't choose the morsels that were "right in front of everybody".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #26
dragonfly03246

Default Indigo Bunting

Great Shots! I only wish I had the right camera to get a good picture of the Indigo Bunting we've had visit us several times this year. He is absolutely beautiful but unfortunately, my Nikon doesn't zoom in far enough and as soon as we open the screen he's gone

Very frustrating. I guess it's a good excuse to get a new camera
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #27
ApS

Exclamation Flickers, Juncos, and White-Throated Sparrows, Now Appearing...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
Airedale1, thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures! You are the kind of Forum member that helps make Winnipesaukee.com a great place to visit. ...Thanks for the cool web links donnamatrix!

Another opportunity for bird photography has just arrived with our cooler late-September temperatures!

As is usually the case in Autumn, small clusters of Slate-Eyed Juncos are appearing in open areas around Lake Winnipesaukee.

Remarkably, the Northern Flicker which had been declining in numbers appears to have made a huge recovery—at least at the old Wolfeboro Airport. (Along with countless Juncos).

A little later in October expect some White-Throated Sparrow songsters—who will be whistling their sad and plaintive, but beautiful calls into the surrounding forests there.

Leave your ear-buds at home!

Look to the very end of Wolfeboro's Forest Road, where the forest opens up to expansive native-grass areas—but especially along roadway margins.

Be aware that Northern Flickers are extremely wary of even a car's stealthy approach, but you can expect them to eventually return to whatever meal they (lately) have been finding there.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (09-26-2010)
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Airedale1

Thank you for the tips, I will be sure to check those areas.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #29
trfour

Post You Are Way Too Gullible...

Quote:
Thank you for the tips, I will be sure to check those areas.
We love your photos though!...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Northern Flicker?

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 PM   #31
Airedale1

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) Colaptes auratus

Very nice capture, I wish I had one in my files.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #32
Newbiesaukee

I had never notice the flickers before but last week there were three of them on my lawn. Quite impressive.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #33
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Great Thread!

I've been trying to capture my winter wren without luck. I am pretty sure they nest behind our camp in the hill.

dragonfly03246, grab a chair and watch your feeder with your camera. You might get lucky and shoot one!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #34
ApS

Wink Buh-Bye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I had never notice the flickers before but last week there were three of them on my lawn. Quite impressive.
You're lucky to have seen them.

Most peoples' view is of Flickers departing!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #35
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Cedar or Bohemian Waxwing?

I'm sure I don't know.. but I bet Paul M will have the answer.

This guy (or gal) , was hanging upside town in a tree over near Walter's Basin while we were waiting to go on our "Loon Cruise" yesterday.

Name:  Cedar Waxwing  (3).jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  67.9 KB
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #36
Airedale1

It is a Cedar Waxwing. Nice capture.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #37
Bear Island South

Default Great Blue Heron

Amazing bird, it wasn't even spooked the closer I got.
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote