Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Webbsatwinni

Default A day in Alton Bay.

On Sunday, I drove my wife and her sister to Alton Bay for the craft fair (they had a great time and spent some money, but that's not my point).

While waiting for a dock, the water was rough and with the docks being busy, it took some time to get a spot and you needed to keep readjusting your boat position. People who obviously knew the order that we all arrived in, were taking docks from people that at the time the dock opened were not in the exact position to enter it. When it was my turn, I looped around to get a clear shot and the guy who was next in line and clearly knew the order, docked in my place. When I asked him to leave the dock he said it would only be a little while and I should wait. Then I made a scene and he finally left and waited his turn.

Once on shore, we saw two other docking challenges that show the lack of concern some people have for other's boats and the people on their own boats.

The first was a 20 something foot bowrider with a teenager standing with both feet on the point of the bow while the boat was underway in rough water trying to dock. This all ended well and the kid jumped off and on to the dock.

The next one was a family trying to dock and they missed, hit another docked boat, the woman on the boat started screaming ("Oh my god, Dave!" over and over) and then jumped on the dock and pulled the bow line only (all the while screaming "Oh my god, Dave!") and made the stern hit the other boat again. The driver then backed out leaving the screaming woman at the dock, then came back for her and she jumped on the boat just before it slammed into another docked boat (she is still screaming "oh my god, Dave!" at this point). If all this was not bad enough, after hitting two boats, they just left.

We did get the bow number and the gentleman next to me called and reported it to the Marine Patrol. It's not easy to dock in moving water, but if it does go bad, stay and deal with it.

There was a lot of activity and things do go wrong, but a little safety and common sense may help in these situations. We did help on family that was having trouble untying their boat to leave, and when we were done, an older gentleman on the dock lectured me on helping others and we should just mind our own business and not get involved to avoid getting hurt, I ignored him and walked by.

It was just another day at the dock. And did I mention that my wife enjoyed the craft fair (and Pops Clam shell too!).
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
jrc

Waiting for docks seems to bring out the worst in people. A search of the forum will bring up previous discussions. I've been skunked before and in my early days of boating I may have inadvertently cut the line. Now I always do a count of the waiting boats when I arrive.

Docking on Sunday and Monday was a challenge this week. I hit the dock in Meredith, a lot harder than I wanted to. No visible damage but an unsettling sound. I'm usually pretty good about putting out fenders, but his time too confident and or lazy.

I always put out fenders when other boats may get bumped. That may have saved some screaming for Dave's wife in Alton.

Do you think the MP did anything about the report? I bet they just keep the numbers on file, in case someone reports damage. I can't imagine them chasing the boat down. I guess they left the scene of an accident but if the other boats owner doesn't complain...
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
AC2717

Default Not Alone

I was there as well and saw the same thing, not the part of you helping someone leave though. I think people were looking for any excuse to get off the boat and fast so if it was open they were running for it, I saw some verbal exchanges going on out there. I was on the outside dock closest to the swiming area and the Mt's Dock. I was lucky when I got there no wait with a couple of docks open becasue of the wind I pointed the bow to the shore and let the wind/current push me in gentley. But getting out was hard with all the other boats doing their best to hover in place. I back out strong and thank god the guy on the other side of the dock was in all the way because the wind grabbed my bow and started to spin me so I went with it and cut the wheel the same way and spun in place. and pulled right out of there, by the way took over 45 minutes to get back to Weirs, wow what a rought ride in my 23footer. The Mt. was having all sorts of trouble. first two blows to sound moving out, then 30 seconds later gave it three for the back out then went back to the 2 horns then back to the three they were having a real hard time, but he got out. By the way my wife and mother-in-law had a great time at the fair as well and we also ate at Pop's, love their onion rings and yes the ice cream was good as stated in previous thread by JRC.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Windy Day Docking

Yup, I know the feeling trying to dock in this weekends wind...

I was trying to dock my boat (24' V-Toon) at the Glendale docks. It was very windy, but I was able to make it to the dock rather smoothly. Unfortunately when I shut the motor down and attempted to get my dock lines tied, the wind just got a hold of the boat and before I could do anything the wind just pushed me into the back of another boat. I tried desperately to lunge at the dock post but just didn't have the strength to keep the boat from moving forward with the wind.

I checked the other boat (a nice looking Baja!!) for damage and could not find anything, but I waited for them to return and informed them of what happened. I asked them to check their boat over good at which time he did find a very small nick that was not there before. They were not worried about the minor nick, but I told them to take my name and number anyway so that when they took the boat out of the water they could check it out thoroughly and to give me call if he wanted anything fixed as I would gladly pay for it. They were extremely grateful for me informing them and understood the situation. I would expect the same would be done for me if someone accidentally hit my boat.

I think the type of people you have described who would take off after damaging someones boat are in the minority, at least on Winni. Not sure why anyone would not own up to something like this. One's honor and integrity is worth a whole lot more than minor boat damage!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Webbsatwinni

JRC,

It happens to everyone, it's how you deal with it that separates the groups.

Ishoot,

If (more like when) it does happen to me, I will wait just as you did because that is the way it should be.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Dave R

Wasn't all that windy at home and all afternoon we regretted not heading up to the lake for the day. Sounds like we made the right decision after all...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Alton Bay Bob

Default Gotta love docking in the wind

I am so pleased you all shared your docking stories this weekend. On Saturday we went to Alton Bay and the wind was so wild and the docks so crowded I opted to tell the gang to just drive there. I am a bit of a chicken. On Sunday we were out at 6 AM watching the sun rise and the swells coming across Rattlesnake area were wild for that early in the morning. I then did have the courage to dock at 7 AM in Alton for coffee. It was not a pretty site. The bow caught some wind and I was very glad their were few people and no boats near by. I did not impress the guests...(my brothers who are boaters) I was lucky enough to be there this morning and it was beautiful... Calm... no boats... Too bad I had to bring the boat in for the season....But I did dock it rather skillfully.
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote