Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
nj2nh

Default Brrrrr. It looks COLD up there.

I was just getting my morning Winnie fix from the Alton Bay webcam and Black Cat's webcam. I can see that you have yet MORE snow up there! And it looks mighty cold. All that snow blowing around makes me shiver all the way down here in Jersey (where we still haven't got a lick of snow ).

Hoping to make it up there this weekend so I also hope you don't get anything that will impede our travel plans.

nj2nh
Old 02-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
ghfromaltonbay

Default It's only 4 degrees warmer here in NJ

I'm with you nj2nh, hope to get my NH fix next weekend and see some snow. Right now the Weirscam shows 9 degrees, and here at work in Pine Brook NJ it's 13 with only a dusting of snow on the ground. We had snow squalls blow thru yesterday, but it was only a tease.

Let's hope the weather on Sat. is good for travelling to NH, and that the lake ice is set up a lot better for the Alton Bay Winter Carnival next Sunday and for all the sledders.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
tpabrad

Ive been up here visiting for a few days, I know the locals are probably getting tired of the snow, but it was just absolutely beautiful while I was here. Couldnt have picked a better time to visit this year
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
DRH

Default Brrrr. It IS cold up here!!

Frigid weather returned yesterday when a strong cold front came through during the afternoon. The temp. here in West Alton is now 10 degrees, and the wind is blowing consistently in the 20 - 25 mph range, with gusts over 40 mph.

Hopefully a couple days of very cold and windy weather will help to solidify all the water and slush that's under the snow on the frozen lake.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
wifi

Beautiful day for a snowmobile ride in the mountains...
Attached Images

wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
nj2nh

Oh my, that IS beautiful! I love it when the sky in the background become dark, but the sun remains shining in the foreground. It makes for some gorgeous photographs like this one.

nj2nh
Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Default what???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabrad View Post
I know the locals are probably getting tired of the snow,
I figure, if we're gonna do winter, lets do it up big! Granted we have no control over it, but yesterday my weather station just surpassed the 80-inch mark for the season on snowfall. It's fun just to watch the number go up, closer to the 100-inch mark!
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos View Post
It's fun just to watch the number go up, closer to the 100-inch mark!
Yeah, woo hoo.

Now if we just had places to pile it all.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Pricestavern

Default Weather for this coming weekend?

Wife and I will be up doing some snowshoing out on the lake (towards Rattlesnake) this coming weekend, Feb 16-17. Any word on the weather upcoming?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
CanisLupusArctos

Default active pattern

Friday is looking like light snow possible. Watch this, however. The computer models haven't been handling this winter very well around here... allowing snow to surprise us on a few occasions.

if it starts to look exciting, you can bet that us forum weather geeks will start a separate thread on it so we can figure out the local details that no one else offers. In the meantime, the NWS forecast for the lake is always on my weather site.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #11
trfour

CLA, if these winter storms keep up we could see a no-wake-Lake in the spring.

We'll give ya a two week handy-cap in the Ice Out guessing contest this year.
Only kidding- Only kidding...

Your doing a fine job for all of us out here and you have my thank you.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:58 AM   #12
Resident 2B

Default N. E. Weather Vacation

I start my annual N. E. Weather vacation this Thursday. We are off on a 10 day boat ride to several islands in the eastern and southern Caribbean. Gee, I hate to leave such a great winter weather area, especially this winter, but I need a boat ride, bigtime!

Unfortunately, the charge for internet usage on the ship is too excessive for me to do much more than to quickly check my email a few times. As a result, no time to download model info or to take a guess at what the weather will do.

I'll be back at the end of the month, hopefully with spring in tow. By then, we should be focused on safely melting all this snow. CLA noted on another thread we have a very wet snowpack, actually a huge frozen sponge, that has to be slowly melted or we have big problems.

Best to all!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #13
Blue Thunder

Default Have Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I start my annual N. E. Weather vacation this Thursday. We are off on a 10 day boat ride to several islands in the eastern and southern Caribbean. Gee, I hate to leave such a great winter weather area, especially this winter, but I need a boat ride, bigtime!

Unfortunately, the charge for internet usage on the ship is too excessive for me to do much more than to quickly check my email a few times. As a result, no time to download model info or to take a guess at what the weather will do.

I'll be back at the end of the month, hopefully with spring in tow. By then, we should be focused on safely melting all this snow. CLA noted on another thread we have a very wet snowpack, actually a huge frozen sponge, that has to be slowly melted or we have big problems.

Best to all!

R2B
Hey R2B,
There's nothing like a carribean cruise in February to get the batteries recharged. I've done it 3 times with each one out-doing the prior one. The Cyber Cafe that most ships have really isn't that expensive, maybe 25-50 bucks for the week. Chicken feed, when you compare it to the bar tab for the week! Check in with us at least once and let us know how it is!!

Blue Thunder
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Resident 2B

BT,

You are right about the bar tab. Ten days of drinks at $10 a pop is a killer. It starts to make the cost of the cruise look like a down payment.

Emailing back is doable, but the time to look at multiple model runs just will not be there. So any chance to guess at weather will not be there. My wife is taking an eCourse at a local college and that burns the minutes as well.

The weather will be a bit different than what we are having in NH. The low temp for Miami on Thursday night is looking like 70 degrees. It is all south from there!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
trfour

Post R2b...

Have a fun voyage, and best wishes!

I'll go out on a limb over here as I predict one thunder snow storm event going into the later part of this winter.

We shall see!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
jerseyonbear

Default slow internet on board

R2b - Just returned on Sunday nite from a wonderful cruise. Have a great time. The internet connection on the sea is so slow it took forever to get our boarding passes to return home. We were not charged as we have platinum cards with princess. Just watch the bar bills. I think $9 a glass of wine is very steep. Anyway enjoy your trip.Coming home to this snow and cold in NJ makes me wish I was going back again.Lucky You
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Hey, this is what you call some wet & heavy snow....got to be the heaviest stuff for all winter.....can accurately call it heart-attack, or roof cave-in snow....it is H-E-A-V-Y stuff.

What to do, what to do...go attack it with the trusty old Toro, or let it sit till tomorrow, and hopefully it dries out and gets less heavy? Like , how about 6-8 inches of wet & heavy concrete snow, plus it's raining now.

I do not know, but for sure if it's not shovelled, it will still be there tomorrow!
Old 02-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
nj2nh

We had beautiful, fluffy stuff down here in north Jersey for about 4 hours. Then it turned to sleet, then rain and sleet and then pounding rain.

Got up this morning to take the kids to school and found streams running down the streets. The snow was blocking the storm drains. We have no busses here so the kids either walk or get driven. Most were driven, but those poor kids who were walking got soaked from the rain and the water must have been pouring into their shoes! I don't know what the parents were thinking.

So, we still have horrible, wet, heavy snow. If it freezes, I could cut ice blocks out of my backyard. Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff. The should have cancelled school, but, hey, what do I know. I am only a mom on the Board of Ed!

nj2nh