Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Newcomers

Default Boating Gear Survey

Hi-
Just moved here as a year round resident - took the boating course and am getting ready to put the boat in the water. (19 foot Regal Bowrider)
I need to pick up some things - like some llife preservers, flag, fire extinguisher,lake map etc).
Can I ask the experienced boaters where is the best place to go for all of this?
Thanks very much for your advice!
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
fatlazyless

The Gilford Wal-Mart got cleaned out of boating items over the July 4 weekend. The Plymouth Wal-Mart has almost zero boat items....apparently Plymouth gets a zero rating in boat demographics....but Gilford is pretty good for boat stuff, and it is close to Fay's Boatyard, also in Gilford with its' two stores: sail & motor. Fay's is home to www.lwsa.org and a big sponsor to the ice hockey rink & league, so Fay's is very community oriented. Fay's stays open all winter!

Small wood paddle - Wal-Mart $8.88, sold out & out of stock

Heath's Hardware store, Centre Harbor, small wood paddle, better quality and $22.00, and in stock.

Looks like I'm sailing without a paddle for now!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-08-2008 at 11:41 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Woodsy

Newcomers!

Welcome to the LAKE!!

The best place around is over in Gilford on Rte 11B by Patricks Pub...

Sports & Marine ParaFunalia

They will have EVERYTHING you need except perhaps a good First Aid Kit. I don't know what your boat is equipped with, but here is a list of what I carry on my boat... in no particular order of importance

LifeJackets - I have 10 std orange ones and 4 ski vest type & 2 throwable

Fire extinguishers - I have 3 (1 automatic in engine compartment 2 handheld)

First Aid Kit

Map - Bizer the ONLY map to have!

Flare Kit

Bell - my boat is 26' Donzi so its required by law, you do not need this

Whistle - I recommend a nice brass 110 decibel military police whistle on a lanyard... definitely an attention getter!

Anchors - 2 anchors for going to places like Braun Bay. Make sure you have plenty of line... I have 100' on my front anchor and 50' on my rear anchor.

Dock Line - 1 dock line for every cleat on your boat minimum. Make sure they are long enough. Better to have too much than too little

Bumpers - at least two with line attached so you can raft with friends

GPS Chartplotter with the Lake Winni chip is also recommended!

I am sure other will chime in with stuff I have forgotten about...

Woodsy
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomers View Post
Hi-
Just moved here as a year round resident - took the boating course and am getting ready to put the boat in the water. (19 foot Regal Bowrider)
I need to pick up some things - like some llife preservers, flag, fire extinguisher,lake map etc).
Can I ask the experienced boaters where is the best place to go for all of this?
For things like flares, fire extinguishers and PFDs, it's gonna be tough to beat Wal-Mart's prices.

I always have a grand time browsing Parafunalia for boat stuff. Charts are available practically everywhere around the lake.

I presently own my second Regal, a 2000, 2550 LSC. There's a 1900 LSR on another lake I frequent in Maine. Nice looking boat.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Newcomers

Default Wow- you guys are great!

Didn't expect to hear back so quickly with so much good information!

I know I am going to enjoy living here !

I understand there are 2 Tow Boat operations on the lake - are they pretty much the same or would you rate better than the other?

I hope to be able to return the favor to you someday!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Airwaves

I'd also suggest a modest tool kit to keep on board with both standard and metric sizes. I just ran into a problem over the 4th with my Amercian made?? Outboard requiring BOTH metric and standard tools.

Another thing that would be helpful is to contact the Lakes Region Sail and Power Squadron and ask for a vessel safety check. They're free and the person going over the equipment on your boat can give you lots of information.

Good luck and have fun....

As for which tow service is better? I won't say that I've never had to use one of them because if I did I'd jinx myself, but BoatUS is discounted if you join their organization and I think SeaTow has a similar program.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #7
jrc

You don't say where you are on the lake. But if you're near Gilford, I second Parafunalia in Gilford. Great selection and it seems a lot of stuff is on sale this year. Maybe good marketing or the slow economy. If your too far from Gilford most of the boat sellers on the lake also have supplies, but sometimes the prices will take your breath away.

Commodity stuff is cheaper at Wal-mart but their boating selection is pretty narrow. They stock up a little in the spring but they don't maintain much through the season.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Newcomers!

Welcome to the LAKE!!

Dock Line - 1 dock line for every cleat on your boat minimum. Make sure they are long enough. Better to have too much than too little

Bumpers - at least two with line attached so you can raft with friends

Woodsy
Three dock lines should suffice - one bow, one stern and one backup. One 25' line proves handy when rafting.

Five fenders (two for docking plus one spare plus two for rafting), if you have room, should protect the boat while at a town docking area - two for the dock and three to protect the other side of the boat from passing boaters that may make contact with your boat.

A 12-volt air pump and an inflatable object or two help make the rafting adventure more pleasurable. Towels and a canvas tote bag prove useful.

Don't forget hats, sun block, and liquid refreshments and a cooler with ice.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
robmac

I think the other posts have covered everything but I would recommend a 2 way radio in case of problem w.your vessel or another boat,cell phones don't always work all over the lake
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Things to have in your boat

Newcommers,

Welcome to Moultonboro.

There are several over looked items that can really cripple a boat at the wrong times.
#1 Light bulbs for your "RUNNING" lights. Red & Green bow light and 360 Stern light. Find out what the bulb numbers are and go to Wallmart and buy a half a dozen of each. The bow lamp in some units is nothing more than a car "DOME" lamp. $8.00 for 2 at the local marina. $0.89 each at Wally World.
It may be good to get some of the lamps for your instuments,Tach and Speedometer etc.
#2 Assortment of Fuses.

Place all in a water tight clear plastic box and have in an easily accessable place.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Tank151

Default Boating Gear Survey?

Newcomer,

Welcome to boating! All previous posts are very good recommendations, but don't skimp when it comes to safety. Walmart and other discount stores carry adaquate equipment, but buying the cheapest equipment doesn't necessarily mean it's the best protection for you, your family and friends.

I recommend West or USA Marine or one of the local Marina's to purchase required safety equipment and or devices.

Make sure floatation devices are either worn or readily accessible to you and your passengers.

Have fun boating!
Tank
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Dave M

Welcome to boating. You might want to read "Just bought a new boat" further down on the lists. I added mine comment, a battery pack. You might want to read another heading of "Towboat.us(BoatUS) vs SeaTow". My opinion, SeaTow is a better deal. You may also want somekind of tow rope.

Enjoy.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
You may also want somekind of tow rope.

Enjoy.

Dave M
Thats why I carry a dock line for every cleat.... they can easily be fashioned into a tow rope thats plenty long....

Woodsy
Old 07-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Dave M

Now that I think about it, some forum member suggested using the anchor line when I asked about tow lines in another thread. Can make any length you want and its fairly easy to disconnect the anchor.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
kchace

For tools you really can't beat one of those all-in one cases of tools. The kind that has screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches etc. all in a nice carrying case. It stores in the boat well and for emergency use it fits the bill.

I also suggest a plastic "utility box" for spare parts and such. (Kind of like a plastic ammo box) They're usually orange. I've seen them at Walmart and many other places.

I recommend the following generic parts:

Small roll of wire
Large ty wraps
Roll of duct tape
Rags
Spare prop nut, thrust washer and locking washer (Whatever you need to hold on the prop - these can also be tied to your spare prop)
Spare quart of engine oil
Spare prop
Spare drain plug!
A flashlight - if you go out at night you ALSO need a hand held spotlight - not to drive with, but for finding your dock or that buoy, etc.

A SPARE BOAT KEY someplace on the boat!

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #16
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Pretty much covered I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomers View Post
Hi-
I'll second Parafunalia as a good place to go to get all the "stuff" mentioned so far. I've scratched my brain to see if anything I normally carry has yet to be mentioned and the important items have been. "Mee" chimed in that perhaps some emergency foul weather gear (ie - ponchos is what we have) might be a good idea. I'll add that something to dry your glasses off is good to have as well. Now if you're boating at night I'd add a few other details but I think you'll well served so far in this thread.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #17
Winnipesaukee

Here's what you NEED:

-Life jackets (AND a type IV throwable cushion. I recommend tying 50' of cord or rope to it.)
-First Aid Kit
-VHF Radio (at least handheld. Some will say its not NEEDED, but i disagree)
-Anchor. I personally like the 12# Navy anchor. Some are coated in rubber
-6' of 1/4" chain for the anchor
-At LEAST 50' of 3/8" 3 strand nylon anchor rode. 100' or more is better
-Quart of oil
-Quart of lower unit oil
-Chart of Winni (We have both Duncan and Bizer)
-Extra cash on board
-Leatherman or a multitool. Just trust me.
-Fire extinguisher. I'd get two.
-Dock line. The rule of thumb is the length should be as long as the boat. So you want four 20' of 3/8 dock line.
-Spare fuses
-Spare bulb for running lights

Here's what you might WANT:

-1 million+ candlepower flashlight
-Flare kit
-Compass
-Fenders
-Spring lines (same dimensions as dock lines, just get 2 or 4 more)
-Other spare parts: bolts, prop nut, washer, etc
-Spare prop
-Cooler with lots of water
-Boat hook
-Orange flag (if you tow skiers or tubers)
-Diver down flag
-Extra sunglasses with UV protection
-Sunblock
-Second smaller anchor with 50' of 1/4" or 5/16" 3 strand rode.
-Sea Tow or BoatUS membership

That's all I can think of. You can get ALL of this at Parafunalia in Gilford. Great people.

I know it seems like a lot of stuff, but much of it is required by law. I say just get it all. "If you need it and you don't have it, you sing a different tune."

Questions, just ask. Good luck!

Edit: whoever asked about a tow rope: Sea Tow or Tow BoatUS will have a tow rope. But if you want one for towing, make sure it is around 50' and at LEAST 3/8" THREE STRAND NYLON (this is for a 19' boat). Nylon is able to stretch so your fittings won't be blown when the boat goes over waves. Also do not tow over headway speed.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #18
Airwaves

Lookiing at Winnipesaukee's list above I can only make a couple of suggestions.

1. I'd carry 100' of anchor line at all times.
2. I'd invest in a sea anchor (kind of looks like a cone shaped parachute). This would be used if your anchor and line line doesn't reach bottom, the wind kicks up and you want to maintain control of your boat so you put it out and it slows the boat down.

It's also nice to have when you'rre trolling for salmon in the spring!

3. Orange flag should be under need to have, not might want. It's a daytime distress signal. Put mirror, strob and chemical lights in that category as well. The NH Marine Patrol is not really supportive of flares, I can understand why but I still have them on board!

I strongly urge you to contact the US Power Squadron or US Coast Guard Auxiliary and have a Vessel Safety Check. Free, no report to law enforcement, you learn a lot.

One trick I used to use when I did those safety checks for the Coast Guard Auxilary is I'd deal with the man when going through the mechanics of the boat, but when it came to the safety equipment I looked at Mom!

As I went through the safety equipment, the one thing I absolutely recommended to Mom, and dad because now he's looking at me like why am I talking to her, is to practice life jackets!

When you get to a sandbar, or back to the cottage at the beach, break out the life jackets and throw them in the water. Then make it a game, a contest with the kids....who can put them on...correctly...first? A race.

Make it fun for the kids so that if and when they ever had to try to do it on the water in an emergency, at least they'd have a clue, and so would Mom and Dad. Winner gets ice cream!

I don't know if anyone actually did it, but every Mom I pitched that to thought it was a great idea.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #19
2Blackdogs

Line or chain as an anchoring material should depend on the size of your boat, anchor choice, anchoring medium and surrounding boats.

This cruiser captain had all-chain (no line) when not one, but two performance boats dragged their anchors and wind jammed BOTH boats on the cruiser's chain!

A prior experience had the driver trying to cut the cruiser's anchor line.
2Blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #20
Newcomers

Default Thanks to Everyone!

I went to Parafunalia in Gilford and met "Paul" - the man who started the business that is now run by his son. I was able to find all the suggestions made on the Posts and I appreciate learning from all of you!
Best regards,
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
Winnipesaukee

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the act of waving one's hands (or any object) overhead counts as a daytime distress signal. Also, a good flare kit will include daytime distress signals. A call from a VHF on my "must have" list will also usually summon help.

And an all chain anchor line is a big no no.

***By the way, all the line lengths and diameters are specific to a 19' powerboat.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #22
Island Girl

Default Plastic Spoons and bowls

.... for eating Ben & Jerry's or Haagen Daz while cruising...

Sunscreen
bimini top to keep the sun out
extra flip flops
Extra battery
scissors
papertowels
hairbrush
Tool box
wire cutters
GPS
charts
extra line