Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
rander7823

Default Boater Education

Is there anything like Driver's Education for Boaters? You know someone who knows what they are doing takes you out and teaches you while you drive?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Rander7823
Is there anything like Driver's Education for Boaters? You know someone who knows what they are doing takes you out and teaches you while you drive?
Yes and No.

I recently had a conversation with the Commander of the local US Sail and Power Squadron at a meeting and he informed us, much to the dismay of a number of directors on the board, that private companies that provide that kind of service are NOT approved in NH regarding the boater certification law.

So while yes, you can enroll in a class run by private companies that will employ classroom and on-water training. The certificates they issue, even if they are NASBLA approved, are not recognized in NH.

I confirmed that information with the NH Marine Patrol the following day.
The following is a portion of an E-mail sent to me by the NH Marine Patrol when I asked about the US Sail and Power Squadron Commander's comments:
Quote:
NH does not recognize any certificates issued by private agencies. The people you need to contact are the Boater Education office in Belmont. Their numbers are 888-254-2125 or 603-267-7256. They are open M-F from 8:15 to 4:15. I hope this has been helpful.

Dispatcher Bruce Klinger
NH Marine Patrol
What to do?

If you have the time and want recognized classroom and on-the-water boating experience and training I'd recommend contacting your local US Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla or US Sail and Power Squadron and joining one of them. Both have training programs on and off the water that are NASBLA approved and internationally recognized. (Yes, even in NH!)

Is that something that you can do and get trained on water before your vacation this summer? No.

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added the email from the NH Marine Patrol
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Try Capt JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post

There may be others but try Capt JP's Boating Instruction "Practical, hands-on training aboard your vessel".

This is great for hands on experience but does not replace the need for a Boater Education exam and Certificate. The State will issue NASBLA certificates to anyone who passes the written test even if they do not know how to drive a boat.

Good luck and good thinking on your part.

Safe boating.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Silver Duck

Default One Solution

Rander

My understanding is that you would need to have a recognized safety certificate before you could even take the wheel for on water instruction unless you're below a certain age (16, maybe?)

Why not take the NH course, then contact an on-water training firm? One such company is JP Boating Inc.; they're located right on the lake. There's a link to them in the boating section of lakr links.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
NoBozo

I just took the NASBLA Safe Boating course in Rhode Island. I don't need it to boat in Rhode Island because I am Old....but I need it to boat in New Hampshire where I do most of my boating.

During my prep for the exam, I had a question about the minimum age that was required for the operation of PWCs, so I called the DEM. They told me the rule "Used To Be: Minimum age 16". But now, the operator, no matter how young, is required to pass the course/test. He said kids around the age of 14 typically have a Fail Rate of about 80%. So everything balances out. NoBozo
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Sandy Beach

Exclamation In NH it's NH law that matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
During my prep for the exam, I had a question about the minimum age that was required for the operation of PWCs, so I called the DEM. They told me the rule "Used To Be: Minimum age 16". But now, the operator, no matter how young, is required to pass the course/test. He said kids around the age of 14 typically have a Fail Rate of about 80%. So everything balances out. NoBozo
No NoBozo in NH it's NH rules that count. You must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Boater Education Safety Certificate to drive a boat or PWC. Even if a parent holds a valid certificate and sits beside their 16+ year old the kid needs a certificate. Under 16 years different rules apply. I don't think you can even get a certificate in NH until you are 16. You can take the NH exam at 15.5 years but they won't issue the certificate until 16 I recall.

Just because it is the rule or law in RI does not mean it is OK in NH. When in doubt, check it out.
Sandy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
rander7823

Default Thanks Everyone

Captain JP's is exactly the type of thing I was talking about. Classroom training and passing a cert test is nothing like hands-on experience under the watchful eye of someone with experience.
My Father-in-law, former USGC, would quiz me on markers while he was piloting to see if I was paying attention and getting the hang of navigation. Then he'd stop and say so which way through here. I'd look at the chart and say I'd follow all those other boats. He'd shake his head and laugh. Then after I got the hang of it under his watchful eye he would let me take the helm.
Everytime I bring the family up I drive by the boat yards I get the itch, but then I think of being out there with little or no experience and then common sense gets the better of me.
I think if I can get some more time under my belt then I'd feel better about taking the plunge. Last thing I want to do is end up with a "Captain Bonehead" label.
He doesn't have a boat anymore, but still has the slip at MVYC.
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Beach View Post
No NoBozo in NH it's NH rules that count. You must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Boater Education Safety Certificate to drive a boat or PWC. Even if a parent holds a valid certificate and sits beside their 16+ year old the kid needs a certificate. Under 16 years different rules apply. I don't think you can even get a certificate in NH until you are 16. You can take the NH exam at 15.5 years but they won't issue the certificate until 16 I recall.

Just because it is the rule or law in RI does not mean it is OK in NH. When in doubt, check it out.
The FIRST objective when taking any Test is to "PASS The Test". In most cases, this is done by answering the questions the way your teacher "taught" you. After you have the Certificate in hand, you can argue the merits of the "correct" answer or Local Rules.

If, when I took the test, I had provided the answer you suggest, I would have provided an "Incorrect" answer. Fewer incorrect answers are always better, don't you agree? . ......"When in Rome...". NoBozo
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
NoBozo

Default Just An Aside

My cousin was flying a Plane when she was 14, with an instructor siiting next to her. She didn't have any kind of certificate. She "Soloed" the Plane on her 16th birthday. That's the FAA minimum age to solo. She had her Pilots Licence a few months later.

Actually, flying at a very young age ..say 8, has been done, with an instructor. An infamous case a few years ago tried to fly across country. The eight year old was alledged to have been flying the plane ...she was also said to have been very experienced, when the plane crashed. All perished. There were two licenced pilots aboard.... one was a parent.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
CaptJP

Default Not too many retain enough from a boat course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
There may be others but try Capt JP's Boating Instruction "Practical, hands-on training aboard your vessel".

This is great for hands on experience but does not replace the need for a Boater Education exam and Certificate. The State will issue NASBLA certificates to anyone who passes the written test even if they do not know how to drive a boat.

Good luck and good thinking on your part.

Safe boating.
Thanks for mentioning me Skipper! FYI that I will not consider doing any training with anyone who does not have their boating safety certificate (even before it was required).

I must say that even with the cert, the vast majority of folks who hire me retained a minimal amount of knowledge from their safety course. Almost all of them are new boaters. EVERYONE - please take a refresher from time to time!

When I was a kid, my parents used to tell me to consider that every other boat on the water had no idea what they are doing and to operate defensively. Folks, since I've started climbing on boats with newbies, I never realized just to what extent that is true. There are a LOT of new boaters out there with NO knowledge of boating, even after taking a boating safety course. Thank God for the ones that recognize their limited knowledge and call me or a family/friend to show them the ropes. FYI that I do training to increase my odds of survival on the lake when out there for my own enjoyment.

About 70% of the new boaters that hire me have a 26-30 ft boat as their first boat. A few 24 footers. About a third of this group have twin engines. The rest are over 30 ft and yes, even 40+ for their first ever vessel. Some need to learn everything starting with how to uncover the canvas from the boat and where the ignition switch is: the stuff we take for granted.

EVERY SINGLE ONE has been reminded several times about the 150 ft rule and how to navigate around markers. I even share some tips to avoid being flipped off. Namely following the rules and extending some common courtesy.

So, all this in mind... if you more experienced boaters out there should ever be so inclined to flip off a knuckle-head boater, first consider that they really don't know why you are doing it. They really don't know what they are doing wrong. Perhaps as an alternative, politely tell them what they are doing wrong (unless they flip you off), then pray for the best. I know that "some" would actually appreciate well intentioned feedback. Also consider they may not be completely ignorant boaters and truly do not have anyone to show them the ropes (ie: no friends, no family, no patient boat saleperson, or no money to pay me). And ALL OF THEM (with any sense at all) are embarrassed to be discovered doing something wrong and may try to duck from view or hide their face under their cap so they aren't recognized. We've all been there.

CJP
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

The Capt has hit on what most of us SL opponents have been saying all along,there are a large portion of boaters that know very little of the navigation rules of the lake.When I encounter the other captains that buzz too close to me,I don't flip them off,but I do make a motion to move away from me.That's when I get flipped off.I admire what must be a lot of patience on your part when training these drivers.Remember that we were all rookies once.Keep up the good work.