Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
ApS

Default Winnipesaukee Yacht Club Started in Our Yard...

Those who know my folks have heard this phrase ad nauseum; however, it is true: a minor detail is that "our yard" included some of the abutter's yard for the wood-sailboat construction that started it all.

The home page for The Winnipesaukee Yacht Club relates the following:

Quote:
"The Winnipesaukee Yacht Club was founded in 1937 based on the principles of teamwork and friendship which are the very cornerstones on which the club operates today. WYC is a private club and is 100% owned and operated by it's members. WYC sponsors many boating and social events throughout the summer season. We are located at 45 Dockham Shore Road in Gilford , New Hampshire."
WYC wasn't always at 45 Dockham Shore Road—but more about that later.

The club began building boats in the wide yard adjacent to 70 Gilford Avenue—a former locale of the Blanchette, O'Mara, and Perrault families. Their "down-the-street" neighbors included the name—if not the familiar namesake—of a "Roger Amsden". Mr. O'Mara was a town employee of Laconia.

At the time, the Perraults owned a clothing store in Laconia, which was frequented by "Castle-in-the-Clouds" owner, Tom Plant. (!) Much to the Perrault's disgust, their former homestead at 70 Gilford Avenue has since been converted to condominiums "and repainted!"

The spark-plug for this venture was "Max Dodds", who was employed by Scott & Williams Construction. An able-assist was given by resident Norman Perrault—among others. Norman Perrault became an "aeroplane pilot" in the late 30s, which followed upon the accidental demolishing of the Perrault household's front staircase by misadventuring-use of his motorcycle!

Many flat-bottomed 18-foot sailboats were built in that back yard, then each was moved to an anchorage off the Perrault's lakefront cottage on Varney Point. (Once past the Gilford Beach, it's the second lakeside house after taking the first-left-opportunity on Varney Point Road).

After a time (and the collection of many such sailboats), WYC moved all of its anchorage across the bay to its present location at 45 Dockham Road.

Among other activities, WYC is home to J-80 sailboat "noise and action". Most of their recent activities are accounted for in their monthly e-publication, the "Jibsheet", which is returned in .pdf format.

(To sailors, that "Jibsheet" moniker is a really good pun)

The "official class" of those wooden sailboat remains unknown.

Of course, additions and corrections are welcome: There is probably much more to this story, but The Pine Cone Café provides rather skimpy napkins on which to write.

(on).
|
|
|
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

Thanks for this piece APS.That's a cool conection to the lake.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Wyc

I remember my Dad racing a 'Lightning' class sailboat at the WYC in the 50's. he mentioned getting the boat shortly after the war was over from the yacht club. That may be the boat that was built on Gilford Ave.
I learn to sail on that boat in the late 50's, early 60's. He sold the boat for a fibreglass 'J' boat in the mid 60's. I like the little boat a lot better.

In the days the WYC membership was a bit 'rowdy'. Typical of post-war days. The were races every weekend and occasionally during the week. Lots of bragging.
Now, it is very quiet, almost a ghost town. Looks like it pretty much turned into a mooring field with a race every now and then.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Is this the same Winnipesaukee Yacht Club?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
ApS

Arrow Further Analysis Shows...

Quote:
"...The yacht club pennant was green with a white "W" on it..."
Kinda says it all: I doubt a club with a continuous presence on the lake would change its pennant. (That is, to the red-white-and-blue pennant that accompanies the top photo). (But I'll check back with my folks).

That "Lightning-class" sailboat will be of extreme interest with three people I can think of—just offhand. One joined this forum some months ago, but won't disclose his forum name. He said, "You'll know when I post ".

> >

Thanks—I'll bet that's it—and you're right: one of the earliest boats equipped with a spinnaker, the Lightning is a slick and popular class of sailboat.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4,294,967,295 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links