Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
Flotnjr

Default West Alton Sand Bar

Good Morning! I had a basic question that I'm pretty disappointed in myself for not knowing the answer to. I have been going to the sandbar at Smalls Cove for many, many years and absolutely love it there. Yesterday we pulled in around 2:00 and threw anchor. We were between the group of boats and shore- I wanted to be far enough back not to intrude on the people that were already there. As I was setting my back anchor, a very nice gentleman came up and informed me that since I was inside the orange bouy (it was off to the south, we were on the channel size of the sandbar) it might draw some attention from Marine Patrol, as we were inside the marker. He was quite nice, and actually started the conversation with "please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but... I am gracious for the tip- and moved my boat forward, to what looked like a good distance to be safe. I have been going there for years, and I never even noticed. What is the reason for this? Any ideas/reasons would be great. I'm not complaining by any means, but felt like "that guy" for not knowing the rules after decades of boating on Winnipesaukee. Thanks!
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I assume you were blocking the channel and you are not supposed to do that. Even if there is still room for boats to go by you are required to stay outside the channel.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Flotnjr

Nope- I was quite a ways in- there were plenty of boats between me and the channel. It had more to do with the distance between where I was and shore. My back end was lined up pretty close to the beach, about 100' from shore.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I assume you were blocking the channel and you are not supposed to do that. Even if there is still room for boats to go by you are required to stay outside the channel.
He was clear to me when he said: "We were between the group of boats and shore".
Therefore the people that were in the group of boats were closer to the channel then him.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotnjr View Post
Good Morning! I had a basic question that I'm pretty disappointed in myself for not knowing the answer to. I have been going to the sandbar at Smalls Cove for many, many years and absolutely love it there. Yesterday we pulled in around 2:00 and threw anchor. We were between the group of boats and shore- I wanted to be far enough back not to intrude on the people that were already there. As I was setting my back anchor, a very nice gentleman came up and informed me that since I was inside the orange bouy (it was off to the south, we were on the channel size of the sandbar) it might draw some attention from Marine Patrol, as we were inside the marker. He was quite nice, and actually started the conversation with "please feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but... I am gracious for the tip- and moved my boat forward, to what looked like a good distance to be safe. I have been going there for years, and I never even noticed. What is the reason for this? Any ideas/reasons would be great. I'm not complaining by any means, but felt like "that guy" for not knowing the rules after decades of boating on Winnipesaukee. Thanks!
No rafting zone. You are not allowed to anchor inside markers (150ft) or closer than 25' to another host. No rafts greater than two boats.

You can swim or boat inside markers but not anchor.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Flotnjr

Default Thank You!

NH Boater- I appreciate it. Makes sense- good to know for next time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flotnjr For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

Flotnjr, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum after joining back in January 2006. We are glad that you have come aboard and joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see you back using the threads.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
Phantom

My daughter has a slip at WAM and frequents that sandbar (by boat & jet ski) and they tell me that MP is ALWAYS in their checking.

Personally, I have never experienced it, but then again we tend to stay away from the "popular" sandbars on weekends .....

Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
fpartri497

I was told by someone from WAM that the seargent wrote out four $68.00 tickets saturday and trhat he wasent very happyabout all the law breakers there

Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
dlucas10

Marine Patrol has been heavy at the sandbar this year. Three boats were written up $68 tickets for being inside the 150 foot buoy. I've actually have heard recently that Marine Patrol will ask permission to board your vessel and they will use a laser to determine if you're 150 feet from shore. So, even though you're outside the 150 foot buoy you should not be right up to it as the buoy could move.

What I don't get and it slightly frustrates me, is that on the chart of the lake that sandbar is marked as "no rafting" - I get that. So, it's my understanding that rafting is 2 OR more boats. With that said, I was at the sandbar 2 weekends ago, and there were two boats in front of me that were rafting. I almost went over to them and tell them they couldn't do that, but decided to mind my own business as there were other folks "rafting". Marine Patrol came by and said "Are you guys tied together? If so, you need to have 50 feet between you and any other boats, or if you separate then you need 25 feet from any other boats. Figure out which one is better" he then went on his way. If there is no rafting, then why allow it? Maybe the Marine Patrol gentleman was just quizzing them? Getting mixed signals from Marine Patrol!
dlucas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Orion

Default definition

dlucas10, rafting is more than two boats tied together. Two are allowed.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
dlucas10 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlucas10 View Post
Marine Patrol has been heavy at the sandbar this year. Three boats were written up $68 tickets for being inside the 150 foot buoy. I've actually have heard recently that Marine Patrol will ask permission to board your vessel and they will use a laser to determine if you're 150 feet from shore. So, even though you're outside the 150 foot buoy you should not be right up to it as the buoy could move.

What I don't get and it slightly frustrates me, is that on the chart of the lake that sandbar is marked as "no rafting" - I get that. So, it's my understanding that rafting is 2 OR more boats. With that said, I was at the sandbar 2 weekends ago, and there were two boats in front of me that were rafting. I almost went over to them and tell them they couldn't do that, but decided to mind my own business as there were other folks "rafting". Marine Patrol came by and said "Are you guys tied together? If so, you need to have 50 feet between you and any other boats, or if you separate then you need 25 feet from any other boats. Figure out which one is better" he then went on his way. If there is no rafting, then why allow it? Maybe the Marine Patrol gentleman was just quizzing them? Getting mixed signals from Marine Patrol!
Boarding boats and using a laser to measure? You must be joking. What an excellent use of resources for an agency that is stretched too thin as it is. Why don't they focus on catching the goofballs that don't know how to operate (and that endanger others), rather than wasting their time measuring boat distances from shore at a sandbar?

Oh wait...maybe those are the same "LASERS" that measure speed on the water? The ones that they were supposed to use to go after the big, bad "THUNDER BOATS"? Those same big, bad thunder boats whose operators actually know how to operate, and who rarely incur violations and who rarely endanger others. Well, at least the state is getting their money's worth out of the lasers. Other than that, they can use them to measure the distance from the fairway to the green on the golf course. That might actually be a better use of resources.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Buoy #67 (09-05-2014), chasedawg (09-05-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
AC2717

they were at Braun bay all day on Saturday (well the 5-6 hours we were there meeting other boats)
Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
jrc

Here again are the rafting rule from the DOS, remember they only apply in a no rafting zone. The area south of the channel is a NRZ.

Saf-C 407.01 Rafting Rules.
(a) In addition to and in conjunction with the requirements of RSA 270:44, no person, except as otherwise provided herein, shall, in a prohibited location or at a prohibited time:
(1) Form or allow a boat which he or she is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft consisting of 3 or more boats;
(2) Form or allow the boat which he or she is operating or in charge of to be a member of a raft if any part of such raft is:
a. Less than 150 feet from shore;
b. Less than 50 feet from any other raft; or
c. Less than 50 feet from any occupied single boat which is stationary upon the waters of the same lake or pond; and
(3) Anchor a single boat and cause it to remain stationary upon the waters of a lake or pond, other than momentarily, if any part of such boat is:
b. Less than 50 feet away from any raft; or
c. Less than 25 feet away from any other single boat which is stationary upon the waters of such lake or pond.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
dlucas10 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Trouble is

it never fails that when you are the first one at a spot and others come and violate the rules thus you have to move or get a ticket. That is why I avoid sand bars. You can't win.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #16
dlucas10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
dlucas10, rafting is more than two boats tied together. Two are allowed.
Thanks! Much appreciated!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
dlucas10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
it never fails that when you are the first one at a spot and others come and violate the rules thus you have to move or get a ticket. That is why I avoid sand bars. You can't win.
Yes, that's happen to me! I've been at the sandbar and have like 75 feet all around me, then as the day goes on more boats come and now there is only 15 feet around me and have been told to move as the other boats are too close to me!

Need to put those poles around the boat to keep everyone 25 feet from it!

I will say, that 25 feet has saved me in the past. This year (earlier in the year) I was at the sandbar and my daughter wanted to go to the beach. So we're sitting on the beach and my wife was in the boat. Well, some older gentleman in an older boat (who I think was having a few extra beers than he should have) "accidentally" hit the throttle on his boat and sped directly for my boat. There were two women on the bow that put their arms out to avoid his boat from hitting mine, but that caused my boat to sway to the other side. If a boat was close to me on my starboard side then we would have hit. So, I can see why the 25 foot rule is good!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 25 foot rule

Capt. Dunleavy pointed out during a legislative meeting regarding rafting that 25' between boats gives emergency crews plenty of room to maneuver in case the need be. This was the only argument given as to why 25' between boats are needed other than 'thinning out the herd'.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #19
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Braun Bay:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...5&postcount=14
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Buoy #67 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlucas10 View Post
Need to put those poles around the boat to keep everyone 25 feet from it!
Just get some yellow dye and stand waist-deep in the water with a far-away look in your eye. People will keep clear.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-05-2014), dlucas10 (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #21
tis

Are there really that many boats at Braun Bay???

So an anchored boat must be 150' from shore? I didn't know that.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
Rusty

Quote:

Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder what you are asking or saying.

Maybe it's just me.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #23
tis

Go away, Rusty.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (09-05-2014), KPW (09-13-2014), RailroadJoe (09-06-2014), RLW (09-15-2014), Seaplane Pilot (09-06-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #24
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
My daughter has a slip at WAM and frequents that sandbar (by boat & jet ski) and they tell me that MP is ALWAYS in their checking.

Personally, I have never experienced it, but then again we tend to stay away from the "popular" sandbars on weekends .....

not only are they always checking the sandbar but they always go down the channel In WAM to the end and then leave , I watch them do this every day

]
Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Just look at the color of the water. All those people drinking and wading in the water all day long. In the picture, I could actually see someone diving in the water and swimming underwater.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Just look at the color of the water. All those people drinking and wading in the water all day long. In the picture, I could actually see someone diving in the water and swimming underwater.
The color from an aerial photo would be the same any time of year - people or no people. It's the color of the sand, not the water. (But I still wouldn't be drinking it! )
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #27
Rusty

Quote:

I would say by looking at the photos that were posted that there are that many boats in Braun Bay.

Rafting is allowed in Braun Bay as long as you are at a distance of at least 75 feet from shore. However some fish and game property lines are different in Braun Bay. But they will all have orange mooring balls to show you.

I hope this answered your question tis. Have a good day!

Last edited by Rusty; 09-06-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #28
tis

The first was a rhetorical question, Rusty. That means I didn't really expect an answer. Maybe that's why you had trouble understanding.

The second question I did want an answer to. If you read the laws that were posted above, it sounds like there is a rule that you need to be 150' from shore while anchoring your boat. I never knew this-maybe I am reading it wrong. That is why I was asking the question-I guess I am just in disbelief that there is such a rule. However, it may explain why I saw MP one day go up to a boat that was anchored and the boat moved about 40' forward. I didn't know what was said to make him move but now it all makes sense.

(3) Anchor a single boat and cause it to remain stationary upon the waters of a lake or pond, other than momentarily, if any part of such boat is:
Old 09-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #29
Rusty

Quote:
The first was a rhetorical question, Rusty. That means I didn't really expect an answer. Maybe that's why you had trouble understanding.

The second question I did want an answer to. If you read the laws that were posted above, it sounds like there is a rule that you need to be 150' from shore while anchoring your boat. I never knew this-maybe I am reading it wrong. That is why I was asking the question-I guess I am just in disbelief that there is such a rule. However, it may explain why I saw MP one day go up to a boat that was anchored and the boat moved about 40' forward. I didn't know what was said to make him move but now it all makes sense.

This only applies to the no rafting zones. Also some NRZ's have modified restrictions.
Maybe you are saying it applies to no rafting zones but when you take it out of context it just confused me.
Sorry for giving you a hard time.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
tis

Sorry, I should have included the whole thing (not taken it out of context) so that someone else would know it was no rafting zones we were discussing. You and I knew I thought, so didn't bother to re-post ALL of it.
(Now you have confused me-that is what you were saying right? Or is this just getting deeper? It is almost funny now, should we start over?? )
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #31
SIKSUKR

Whos's on first? I don't know. Third base.