Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #101
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Carguy: I received those photos you sent along of the stations on the Lakeshore Railroad. Thanks! Here is the one of the Lakeshore Park Station

and a few more postcards

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #102
Captain Bob

Thanks to SteveA for starting this string, and all the great input! I've always loved Lake Shore Park history. You know the wooden water tower above the rail bed? I've always wondered whether it was for camp use only (it was lake water pumped up to the tower), or if it served the trains. And here's something not too many people know - not far from the wooden water tower, on top of some boulders at a higher elevation, there are imprints from steel tower leg supports set in concrete on the boulders, if I remember right forming a square like 10' x 10' or so, that I always guessed used to be a steel water tower probably smaller and older than the wooden one that remains! Any info?
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #103
carguy

Default 2nd Lake Shore Park Water Tower

Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower. It was smaller and painted yellow and green. If you were standing on the steps of the pavilion and looking at the big old gray water tower, the smaller water tower was situated about 75-100 feet to the left towards the LSP entrance road (the hump on the hill).

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #104
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Question Photo Location

Does this shot (a single from a stereo view) look like it was taken from Lake Shore Park?
Thanks!
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #105
carguy

Default Picture Not Taken from Lake Shore park

RG:

That picture was taken at a higher elevation, possibly from lower elevations of Locke's Hill near where the Chanticleer Inn was located. I would say somewhere between Greystone and Chanticleer. If you look at the attached picture in this post, I would guess that the photographer in the picture you posted would have been standing in the area on the right hand side of the attached photo in this posting.
Attached Images

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2006, 08:27 AM   #106
Captain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
Captain Bob:

Yes, I remember a second lake Shore Park Water Tower.
Thank you, carguy! You are the virtual encyclopedia! After 50 years, you're the first person to tell me that my guess was correct! Yes, the spot you mention is where I found the old tower "foot" imprints.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:25 AM   #107
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcall9031
Hi Steve

This is the only picture of the Lake Shore Park Inn I have ever seen.
Built around 1890. Burnt in 1910

Mike C. from Long Beach LSP
Available from an antique book website, at a very steep price!($85), an old 1892 Brochure for the Lakeshore Park Inn.
Quote:
Book Description: Patriot Print, Concord, New Hampshire, 1892. 48mo - over 3" - 4" tall. 6 page booklet; text and illustrations; summer resort on Lake Winnipesaukee; original wrappers; slightly wrinkled; very good condition.
If interested pm me for more information. I can't give out the url of the website or RG will not be happy with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Soaringeagle (09-01-2022)
Old 02-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #108
mcdude

Default Pavilion

Old Postcard of the Lakeshore Park Pavilion - Site of Forumfest III. If you attended FFIII and saw the fine state of this building today you'd be impressed with the job of preservation done by the folks at Lakeshore Park.

Funny....when I was bidding for this card on e-bay I received this pm in my winni.com mailbox.....
Quote:
You're killing me! LOL
I'm XXX on e-bay ... I'm also SteveA on the forum!

You outbid me for the LSP Pavillion postcard!
Here ya go Steve!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #109
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Thx McDude

I've not seen the short beach card before. It looks like at one time there was a "covered bench" on the front right corner of Big Pier..

Thanks for posting it.

SteveA
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #110
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks... ya you outbid me...!

This is a great postcard... and Thank You McDude for posting it here!

I've never seen this view... and yes... allot of the folks at LSP are very serious about preserving the History of LSP.

To the Victor go the Spoils

SteveA
Old 02-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #111
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Pavilion Post Card

McDude:

Nice purchase on the postcard of the pavilion. I have not seen that particular card before.

Steve A:

Take it from an old ebayer (member since 12/97), if you really want something in ebay bad enough, snipe bid it with the MAXIMUM amount that you would be willing to pay for it.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 AM   #112
MWSP

Default Flying Saucers!!!

While looking for more pageant information, I came across this story in the July 10, 1947 edition of The Laconia Evening Citizen:

Sees Flying Discs At Lake Shore Park
Bill Rowlin of Providence, 17-year old youth, who is spending the summer at Lake Shore Park in Gilford reported to the Evening Citizen that he saw three flying discs at about 10:05 this morning over Lake Winnipesaukee going in the direction of Alton. He took pictures he hopes will reveal the presence of three objects about 5,000 feet up.
Earlier in the week Thomas Dale, son of the governor, reported seeing flying discs in about the same location going in the same direction.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #113
mcall9031

Default UFO over Winnipesaukee

Here is what the Gov's son saw.

See case 733

http://mimufon.org/historical_folder...SectionIII.htm

Mike C
Old 03-31-2007, 10:48 AM   #114
xredvette

Default Wee Hoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
About ten years ago it was still there and still named the "Wee Hoose". That was my first trip up to Lake Winnipesaukee back in 1946 or 1947. The Wee Hoose belonged to Jim and Millie Foster, Scottish immigrants from Andover MA, who also started with a tent platform I believe in the 1920's and then grew into a "cottage". Uncle Jim and Aunt Millie were my mom's aunt and uncle, therefore my great-aunt and great-uncle, and of course "Wee Hoose" is the Scottish dialect for wee house, small house, and small it was.

The Wee Hoose is still there and has been in my family for some time. My Grandfather, also a Scottish immigrant, owned it for many years and then my Dad purchased it from them about 30 years ago. Sad to say my Dad just passed away this past December and left the Wee Hoose to myself and 4 siblings. I'm the Voting Member and the holder of the deed.

I have so many fond memories of LSP and the Wee Hoose. Spending summers running on the dirt roads barefoot. Good friends, great times! Over the years my dad and I upgraded the ole Wee Hoose, insulating, adding on as the bylaws would allow, completely redoing the interior, adding indoor plumbing and a shower!!! It turned into a year round home for my dad although my family still refers to it as "the camp". My dad loved the Wee Hoose and treasured his time there. When he got older and could not stay by himself during the winter months he couldn't wait to get back to LSP and his Wee Hoose.

We are in the process of having a head stone made for him and the family is unanimous in having an image of the Wee Hoose with mountains and lake behind sandblasted into the stone. He loved that place so much it is a fitting tribute to what he would have wanted to be remembered for.

Thanks for letting me share....

Jim
xredvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #115
White Rook
Deceased Member

Default Miss Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
here are the pictures
Hi,

In the upstairs office of Irwin Marine, there's a photo of Jack's brother, Jim Irwin (Lord rest his soul) driving a boat called Miss Winnipesaukee. Also, wasn't Jim Irwin married to a former Miss Winnipesaukee?

As an aside, I had the pleasure to perform marine gear repairs on a lot of antique and classic boats for Irwin Marine. The boat owned by Corning Benton, owner of Eagle Island comes to mind along with a boat owned by Steve Kace of Marine Patrol. I had a 35' Chris Craft there from 1983 to 1990. Ahhhhhh....those were the days!

White Rook
Old 07-22-2007, 07:14 AM   #116
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default LSP "Office"

Big changes at LSP. The old office at the entrance has finally been replaced.

Much of the work on the new building was done by members.. and the "new" office came in under budget!

Name:  P6120335.JPG
Views: 10851
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  P6130348.JPG
Views: 10684
Size:  75.0 KB
Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #117
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Miss Lake Winnipesaukee 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
In an earlier post in this thread SteveA made reference to the Miss Lake Shore Park beauty contest starting in the early 1960's. It actually started earlier than that, in the 1950's. Two winners that I can remember, Donna DeGroot and Peggy Weeks went on to win the Miss Winnipesaukee pageant held at Irwin's Winnipesaukee Gardens at the Weirs. I think Jerry Donahue's sister won the Miss Winnipesaukee Pageant prior to Donna and Peggy winning it.
CarGuy,

You'll get a kick out of this! History Repeats Itself!

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0102
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #118
carguy

Default Miss Winnipesaukee 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
CarGuy,

You'll get a kick out of this! History Repeats Itself!

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/citizen0102
SteveA:

Thanks for sharing this news with me and the Forum. I guess good genes must run in the family. Melissa must be Bobby's and Janice's daughter?

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #119
barkerrd

Default lake shore park

Nobody has posted on here since july 2007 . Well, I have to thank Carguy , McDude , SteveA and all the others for the great photos . I was at LSP from 1954 to 1972 . Reading the different posts on here reminded me of alot of things that I had forgotten , like the ice truck , the barn for storage across Rt.11 and Ruggs pontoon boat . When I was really little , I remember there was a row of Amesbury skiffs by big pier . I think they were white and each had a number . I really enjoyed this thread ,
barkerrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #120
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Amesbury Skiffs

Barkerrd:

The Amesbury Skiffs were painted white with green trim along the gunnels. They had about 10 of then parked on the boat slip by the Big Pier. Before that going back into the 1940's and earlier, the row boats were Dory type looking boats, painted yellow with gray trim on the gunnels.

Carguy

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 04-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #121
mcdude

Default More Postcards

CLICK HERE to enlarge this postcard

Looks like the dock at Short Beach where the Mt. Washington used to stop at one time. I think only the cement part of this dock remains. Looks like most folks camped at Lakeshore Park in these days. I'm sure SteveA or Carguy can fill us in on the details!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:26 PM   #122
carguy

Default Lake Shore Park Panprama

McDude:

The store at LSP used to sell this panorama postcard when I was a kid. The photo pictures the "Big Pier" with Short Beach to the right. I estimate the time frame to be the late 1920's. Our cottage was located up behind the big tan colored tent on the right rear of the photo.

The pier still looks pretty much the same this day. It has been redone a few times since this photo was taken.

This was my favorite swimming spot when I was a kid.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #123
Lounger

Default Common dad's name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerrd View Post
Nobody has posted on here since july 2007 . Well, I have to thank Carguy , McDude , SteveA and all the others for the great photos . I was at LSP from 1954 to 1972 . Reading the different posts on here reminded me of alot of things that I had forgotten , like the ice truck , the barn for storage across Rt.11 and Ruggs pontoon boat . When I was really little , I remember there was a row of Amesbury skiffs by big pier . I think they were white and each had a number . I really enjoyed this thread ,
We need to get another string going to talk about the "old days" at Lake Shore Park. Oh, I know, we live in the present - but's it's great to remember!

Q: Our late dads wouldn't have a common first name, would they? Fourth letter "d"?
Lounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #124
mcdude

Default Lakeshore Park Website

I ran across this on Google.....the history of the park from their website.

HISTORY of LAKESHORE PARK

The Gas Dock
Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #125
barkerrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounger View Post
Q: Our late dads wouldn't have a common first name, would they? Fourth letter "d"?
No , my father's name is Ray and he is not "late " . We had the first camp after crossing the foot bridge heading towards Ellacoya .
In the picture titled "the gas dock" , the little kid in far left is me I think . I used to hang around there so much , they kicked me out .
Anyone have any pictures of the marina directly across from the gas pumps ? I would love to see my Dads Cris-Craft again .
barkerrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #126
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default From this weeks "Gilford Steamer'

Nice story from this weeks "Gilford Steamer".
See page 7 of the .PDF attached.

Nice Job by Dianne Mitton of the Thompson Ames Historical Society.
She has written a number of wonderful stories about the history of Gilford.

http://www.gilfordsteamer.com/pdf/GIL.2008.06.05.pdf
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #127
Mr. V

Here is a link to someone's Lake Shore Park home movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFyE-...eature=related
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #128
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Mr. V Thanks for the post

That was very good. Hard to figure the date.. but if you noticed it was before the footbridge was built over the marina.

I'll bet Carguy will know when that was filmed. He has some very old footage from the 40's that I hope he'll post here sometime.

PS... Marine Patrol wouldn't be very happy with some of the shots at the very end of the film.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #129
ljn

Default Lake Shore Park in the 50's

I am a new member..don't really know how to use this forum, but here goes!

Just visited LSP after 50 years. Spent all my summers there in the 50's. Such great memories.

Does anyone remember...sleeping on the beach, big pier, big rock, the bunnyhop, costume contests, etc.

People...Janice Pinkman, Maureen Ronan, Bobby Blumsted, Johnny Blumsted, Cherry Ellis, Peggy Weeks, Billy DeGroot (my 1st boyfriend) and many others.

Boy...LSP has really changed. do the cabins now have indoor plumbing? Where are the tents?

LJN
ljn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #130
Mr. V

Remember hiking to the Pavilion every morning and pumping the well to fill your Thermos with drinking water for cabin use?

Remember the Pazoozies?

I shudder to think if the one by the Pavilion leeched into the water table for the pump.

If you look close, you can still see the graffiti carved into the Pavilion, outside the entrance to the hall.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #131
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljn View Post
I am a new member..don't really know how to use this forum, but here goes!

Just visited LSP after 50 years. Spent all my summers there in the 50's. Such great memories.

Does anyone remember...sleeping on the beach, big pier, big rock, the bunnyhop, costume contests, etc.

People...Janice Pinkman, Maureen Ronan, Bobby Blumsted, Johnny Blumsted, Cherry Ellis, Peggy Weeks, Billy DeGroot (my 1st boyfriend) and many others.

Boy...LSP has really changed. do the cabins now have indoor plumbing? Where are the tents?

LJN
Nice to see your post. Do you remember the Cook's or Bontorno's? I arrived late to the scene in LSP in 1969.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #132
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Smile Lsp

I use to walk across Camp Samoset on the old railroad bed from Terrace Hill Road in the late '60's, early '70's. There was a teen dance every Friday or Saturday night with live teen bands from Mass. Met my first girl friend at one of the teen dances, Ellen Butman.
My mother use to do our laundry at the landromat that was at the entrance. The family met a few LSP families that way and we were invited to a few socials at the park.
I knew the Cooks as their son Gary was in my class at LHS. I did a lot of waterskiing out front. Some of the boats in the Winnipesaukee Water Ski Racing Association were from LSP.
Does anyone know what happen to Ellen Butman and another women Dawn Daily? Often wonder how they are doing.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #133
Mr. V

My inventive engineer-uncle from California showed me as a lad how to make a flying UFO out of dry cleaner bags, cardboard strips and birthday candles.

We lit one off one night at LSP and caught holy heck from the park manager.

For some reason he feared the woods would catch fire.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #134
BJAM

This whole Lake Shore Park thread is like listening to my Mother all over again. She grew up at Lake Shore Park, and my Grand father Clinton Flanders was the section foreman from West Alton to Lakeport. My Mother was born in 1914 in a farm house across from th enterance to Ellacoya Park. She has since passed, but I have alot of info that she had. I have to take the time to find it. Thank you so much for this thread.
BJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BJAM For This Useful Post:
SteveA (11-07-2008)
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #135
nj2nh

[/QUOTE]

Hey, my father knows Anne Carr! He worked at Union Hospital until his retirement in the late 1980's. I am sorry, but that is totally weird. I don't know what made me look!

Love this forum and the history section in particular!!!!!!

nj2nh
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #136
mcdude

Default Fairview in the Pines - 1930s

I'm posting this brochure in the Lakeshore Park thread since the Fairview appears to be adjacent to it and overlooking what is now Ellacoya beach. (it appears that the cabins are very close to the site of the recent allegedly illegal tree cutting at Ellacoya). Directions advise the traveller to take the train to the Lakeshore Park stop. Perhaps SteveA or Carguy or one of our other Lakeshore Park friends can tell us if these cottages are still there?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #137
Apples

Default Lake Shore Park Memories

Oh my gosh.....the memories from these pictures. LSP was a frequent "hot spot" for class trips from Alton Central School, later the Girl Scouts had camping trips there. A trip down memory lane of a happier time in life. My family had a cottage near LSP and I spent many many hours walking the beach towards LSP, fishing in the brook there.........seems like there were lots of suckers in that brook. Thanks for the memories!!!!
Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #138
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples View Post
Oh my gosh.....the memories from these pictures. I spent many many hours walking the beach towards LSP, fishing in the brook there.........seems like there were lots of suckers in that brook. Thanks for the memories!!!!
After they built the marina at LSP, we used to catch pickerel in there.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #139
mcdude

Default A few more images....

A newly acquired postcard

another rare photo of the lakeshore park inn

Old 07-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #140
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thank You !

What a find on that Pic of the Inn. The only one I've ever seen was the one posted by "mcall" earlier in the thread!

I search all the time for all things LSP. Good catch on that one..
and thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #141
Dickie B from HB

Default The girls of LSP, circa 1961

This picture might jog some memories. It was taken at Big Pier about 1961 (give or take a year).

I can't remember all the girls names, but in the top row starting at the third from the left is Carol Eggers, Peggy Weeks, and Wendy Shull, with Barbara Brown at the top right. Bottom row left is Cherie Ellis with Nancy Boudet (fifth from left), and Faye Brown.

There was never a shortage of girls at Lake Shore Park.

Dick B.

Last edited by Dickie B from HB; 08-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Dickie B from HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #142
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie B from HB View Post
This picture might jog some memories. It was taken at Big Pier about 1961 (give or take a year).
Dick B.
Dickie B: That's a great photo!

BroadHopper "Lakeshore Park? Judging from the distance landscape, the first two pictures are scenes from North Beach. The third is from South Beach as I see Diamond Island at the very left.

Quote:
SteveA:
The first two are of what is now called Short Beach.. hard to place the third, but it looks like the area just to the left of Big Pier.

Amazing to see how much that beach section has changed. The beach in the photos is wider than the beach that is there now. The second picture shows what is the opening to the present marina.. (I think)
The first two pictures were taken just east of the marina entrance at LSP. The time frame was either the late forties or early fifties. The water that you can see crossing the beach at the bottom of the second picture is probably the outlet of the creek that drained into the lake. It was converted into the marina in '58 or '59. I remember the sailboat in those pictures was always there. In twenty years I never saw it off the mooring. The third picture looks to be earlier (early forties), and appears to be the boat ramp and the rental boats to the right of big pier.

Dick B.

Last edited by mcdude; 01-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #143
SIKSUKR

Great stuff guys.Love this history of Winni!The girls are ok too.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #144
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thank You All!

Ok... this thread is where it all started for me here on Winnipesaukee.com. 1,000 posts ago. Inspired by RG's and McDudes "History" threads.

So, I decided to come back to this thread for 2 reasons, one to refresh the LSP Thread, but more importantly to say thanks to Don, and all of the great folks I've got to know here on Winni.com.

Too many to mention name by name, but I have to say to Pineneddles, Gravy Boat, Rattlesnake Gal and Guy, Pepper, WinniDixie, McDude, Upthesaukee, Island Girl, Broad Hopper, Bear Islander, Siksukr, Quilt Lady and DRH, AG, Samiam, and yes even FLL, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

You've all made me laugh, and when all is said and done... a good laugh is priceless.

I'm sure I've missed many more.

SteveA
Argie's Wife (07-08-2010), carguy (06-20-2012), Pepper (07-10-2010), Pineedles (07-07-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (11-18-2010), SIKSUKR (07-08-2010)
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #145
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default New Old Photo's and post cards from LSP

A very nice lady from CT contacted the office at LSP looking to find me.
She had a number of pictures and post card from the 50's.

She is actually the person Dickie B ID's in post 142 as Wendy Shull. She is now Wendy Rittweger... and here are her post cards and pictures. (She also has a copy of the same photo in post 142, and can ID several more of the ladies.)

These photo's are used with her permission.

Two postcards not previously posted. No dates on them, but notice the gas pumps in front of the Pavilion.

Name:  old post cards LSP.jpg
Views: 9652
Size:  165.8 KB

Wendy tells me these photo's are from The Miss LSP Contest in 1957 or 56.

Name:  Old Miss LSP photo pavillion 1956  1.jpg
Views: 9280
Size:  87.7 KB

Name:  Old Miss LSP photo pavillion 1957 1.jpg
Views: 10033
Size:  85.2 KB

Thank You Wendy! It was a pleasure to meet you today.
Argie's Wife (08-19-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (11-18-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #146
Dickie B from HB

Default Pavilion pictures

Hi Steve,
Thanks to you and Wendy for those pictures. They bring back a lot of memories.
It made me think that a sub-thread for the history of the park could be memories of the pavilion. Who could imagine what life at the park would have been like without the pavilion? During my time at the park (the 40's thru the early 60's), the pavilion was the center for all that was happening.
It was the gathering place for almost everyone.
Every morning we made a trip to the pavilion, hauling our 2 gallon water jug to fill at the pump next to the store, and often buy Armand's cinnamon rolls for a nickel a piece.
I could go on for pages about the pavilion (just the evolution of the juke box is worth several paragraphs), but I'll save it for other posts.
If it isn't already, the pavilion should be dedicated as a historic landmark.

Best regards,
Dick B
Old 08-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #147
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Postcard from LSP 1948

This is one I haven't seen before. Postmarked from Meridith July, 1948

Name:  1948 LSP Post Card 1.jpg
Views: 9102
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  1948 LSP Post Card 2.jpg
Views: 9207
Size:  108.9 KB
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #148
oche16

Hope to revive this wonderful thread.

Im trying to get a lay of the land of our little neighborhood away from home. Although we've only jogged through LSP and Ellacoya on occasion, the place feels warm and comfortable to me and I can appreciate all these fond memories. Thanks to all for sharing them, and the terrific photos!

On my old pc, I was able to barely make out the old Inn. It's very small, though unmistakable. Im uncertain of the spot. But, looking from Scenic Dr. I believe the Inn sat at the base of the steep Route 11 incline on the outside of the curve and just to the right of the entrance into the Park. Is this correct?

Also, Did the photographer take the one and only photo from an earlier post post from Rt11?

You're all lucky people to have experienced this massive "family" atmosphere. Sounds like Walton's Mountain -on steroids.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Steve
oche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #149
oche16

Default Lake Shore Pk postcard

Hope to revive this wonderful thread.

Im trying to get a lay of the land of our little neighborhood away from home. Although we've only jogged through LSP and Ellacoya on occasion, the place feels warm and comfortable to me and I can appreciate all these fond memories. Thanks to all for sharing them, and the terrific photos!

On my old pc, I was able to barely make out the old Inn. It's very small, though unmistakable. Im uncertain of the exact setting. But, looking from Scenic Dr. I believe the Inn sat at the base of the steep Route 11 incline on the outside of the curve (east) and just to the right of the entrance into the Park. Directly on the corner... Is this correct?

Also, Did the photographer take the one and only photo from an earlier post post from Rt11?

You're all lucky people to have experienced this massive "family" atmosphere. Sounds like Walton's Mountain -on steroids.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by oche16; 11-24-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added clearer scan
Old 11-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #150
SteveA
Deceased Member

Talking Thanks for the bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oche16 View Post
On my old pc, I was able to barely make out the old Inn. It's very small, though unmistakable. Im uncertain of the exact setting. But, looking from Scenic Dr. I believe the Inn sat at the base of the steep Route 11 incline on the outside of the curve (east) and just to the right of the entrance into the Park. Directly on the corner... Is this correct?

Also, Did the photographer take the one and only photo from an earlier post post from Rt11

I've been told the hotel was to the left side of the entrance, across from the present "office building". I've also been told that there are some remains of the foundation of the hotel, but I've not been able to locate any.

The two pictures posted are the only ones I've seen.

Thanks for posting and reviving the thread. Maybe we'll get some more old pictures posted! (hint, hint)

Thanks for the blow up of the old postcard. I spotted the hotel in the picture, your "zoom" view is very helpful.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #151
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default From the Lake Shore Park Assn. website

History of Lake Shore Park

The year was 1890 and the date was June 17, the Concord & Montreal Railroad finished a rail line from Lakeport to Alton Bay. This railroad ran through Lake Shore Park which was owned by the Boston & Maine railroad and was one of the stops along the way.
The Following is from the The Boston & Maine Bulletin Vol.XVI no.4
Heretofore the entire south shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, from Long Bay, at the outlet of the Lake, to Alton Bay, on its southeastern corner, has been practically wilderness, nearly unoccupied by villages or hamlets, or by individual homesteads or establishments, except at points very near either end of its route. Recently, however, the Concord & Montreal Railroad system has been extended by the addition of a line along its shore, or from Lake Village to Alton Bay, a distance of seventeen miles.

If nothing else had been accomplished by building of this connecting line, the opening up of a new scenic section for the Winnipesaukee neighborhood would have amply compensated for the outlay from the standpoint of the summer visitor.

About seven miles from the Lake Village terminus of the Lake Shore railroad and within the territory of Guilford township, the extreme point on the south shore of Winnipsesaukee juts out on the Lake. This is known as “Carr’s Point,” a beautiful, sightly, finely situated promontory in miniature, commanding in outlooks and winsome in every grace and attraction of coast and landscape scenery. The neighborhood of Carr’s Point has been seized upon as the foundation of a public park, known as Lake Shore Park, a reservation of about twenty acres on the shore front of a two-hundred-acre tract, all included within the park establishment. Here is one of the most beautiful spots imaginable. The views, multiplies indefinitely by every change standpoint within the grounds, are simply magnificent, and include the finest of lake sections, with shore and island accessories, and the glorious successions of mountain scenery in the north. An observatory on Carr’s Point will also afford peculiar emphasis and character for these outlooks. Along the lake shore, in front of and contiguous to the park, a white sandy beach extends for a half mile or more, fully equal in all its features to the beach at Old Orchard or any of the well known seashore localities. Off this beach, and in various localities in view from its expanse, are fishing grounds for bass, pickerel, perch, trout, etc.; in short, for all varieties of the fish with which the great lake abounds. Indeed, it may be claimed for this neighborhood that it furnishes the best brook-trout fishing in the country.
Through these park grounds the Lake Shore railroad runs, dividing the park proper, on the water-front from the park community establishment, which occupies the remainder of the tract, on the south side if iron highway.
These grounds slope gradually from the shore to the upland in their rear, thus enhancing continually the situation with regard to the views of the lake and its northern boundaries. The park is to be fitted with a pavilion one hundred by forty feet measurement and with an “annex” thirty by thirty feet. The provision is for every kind of excursion and picnic parties, and social organizations assemblages. Within the annex are boilers for cooking coffee, chowders, etc., and in larger room tables may be readily set for gathering of almost any size. The hall is fitted with a stage and siderooms, for concert performances and the like; and bowling-alleys, music and dancing, and all pastimes and employment’s usual in such establishments, will be amply provided for. The observatory on the point will be fitted for the accommodation of band while performing, and every attention has been given to the preparation of the park and its vicinity as a resort for ladies and children. Yachts (steam and sailing), fishing boats, rowing boats, etc., are to be in full supply. A veranda twelve feet wide extends along the north and east fronts of the great hall building.
The park grounds, south of the railroad, have been laid out in streets and avenues, perfect squares resulting from the intersections, upon which may be erected cottages, residences, and the like, corresponding with the usage of summer communities generally. In the midst of all will be a fine hotel building complete in design and finish for all purposes of a first-class caravansary for a popular resort. It is expected that this hotel will be ready for occupancy in the summer of 1891.
LittleMiss61 (02-06-2012)
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #152
oche16

Hi Steve A,

Thanks for the info. It's strengthened my geography of Guilford's shore. We'll be exploring this hood in late spring, to try to tie up a few loose ends.

I'm also interested in Scenic Drive, Gilford. Of all the spots on the Lake, I believe this road has the sweetest views of old LSP, Ellacoya and Long Beach.

I will attempt to start a thread ref the Greystone and the Scenic Drive area in general. If it just a fraction of interest that this thread receives, I'll be happy. Please have a look!

Best,
Steve F
Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #153
rse2

Default Aerial Photos available.

I have some aerial photos that I believe were take by Lewis E. Weeks (or Marion C. Weeks (his wife) while Lewis piloted), father of Peggy Weeks.
I don't know when they were taken or if they are specific to Lake Shore Park.

If anyone is interested I'll email a link.

They are too big to simply upload. I did upload one to the "aerial photo" section and that maxed out my allotment. (Fixed the problem see subsequent posts)

PM me.

Last edited by rse2; 01-18-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: (Fixed the problem see subsequent posts)
rse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
mcdude (01-10-2012), SteveA (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #154
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rse2 View Post
They are too big to simply upload. I did upload one to the "aerial photo" section and that maxed out my allotment.
You are not maxed out. You only posted one picture. There is plenty of room left.

You can also attach pictures to your post. There is no quota for attached pictures.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #155
rse2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
You are not maxed out. You only posted one picture. There is plenty of room left.

You can also attach pictures to your post. There is no quota for attached pictures.
OK I'll give that a try.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #156
rse2

Default Aerials By Lewis E. Weeks.

Hope this worked and I hope you find these interesting/useful.

I believe these were all taken by my father in-law Lewis E. Weeks who passed some years ago.

I was married to his daughter Margaret (Peggy Weeks) for 30 years until here untimely death this last August.

I found these photos when going through some boxes.

Lewis' wife Marion is still living at 97.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-31-2012), Rattlesnake Gal (01-19-2012), Redwing (01-10-2012), SteveA (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #157
Just Sold

rse2, Thank you for some great photos. It looks to me that these were taken in the early 50's or maybe late 40's based on the cars I can identify.
The top 3 are of Lake Shore park. I believe the bottom photo is of Barton's Motel in Laconia on Paugus Bay with the cemetery on the right. There is one of the Lakes Region Playhouse next to what is today Mountain View Yatch Club and where the Fireside Inn and Suites and the old Bea Mae's is today.

I am guessing but I think pictures 5 & 6 are of the Christmas Island Motel. Anyone agree?

Can anyone else identify the locations in these pictures.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #158
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Can anyone else identify the locations in these pictures.
I think you got it all Just Sold.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #159
BroadHopper

Default Great aerials!

I believe Just Sold is spot on! The picture below Christmas island Motel looks like the old Shangra La aka Brickyard Mountain Inn.

The picture below has what appears to be K C on the barn. Not sure at all where that is although the house looks familiar from the Rte 3 bypass in Gilford near the airport.

My dad was one of the builders for Phil Roux's Christmas Island project.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 01-10-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:32 PM   #160
mcdude

Default Proof Positive

JustSold: You are "wicked smaht!" Here's a shot for comparison purposes of the Shangri-La vs. photo #7

and here's Christmas Island.....compare to #5 & 6

Last edited by mcdude; 01-10-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #161
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
rse2, Thank you for some great photos. It looks to me that these were taken in the early 50's or maybe late 40's based on the cars I can identify.
Very late 40's, more likely early 50's. In picture # 1, of LSP you can see the flagpole, it was put up in 1949. It looks like Long Beach has no cottages "right" on the beach, which would date it in the 50's.

Thanks again for posting RSE2, welcome to the Forum!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #162
rse2

Default Uploaded large size aerials by Weeks

I just uploaded full size versions of the Weeks aerials to the "Gallery" Historical photo section. Much more detail is available if you're interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to rse2 For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-11-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #163
rse2

Default Passing of Marion C. Weeks

I'm sad to report that Marion C. Weeks, wife of Lewis E. Weeks (also deceased), mother of Margaret (Peggy Weeks) Estey (deceased August 2011) and Stacy Weeks (also deceased), passed away last week at 97 years old.

The all loved LSP and talked about their wonderful summers there often.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #164
Dickie B from HB

Default The Weeks family

Hi rse2,
I'm sorry to hear about the passing of all of the Weeks family members. Peggy and I were friends at LSP when we were teenagers in the 50's. There is a good picture of her at post 142 on this thread. Please accept my condolances.
Her mother always struck me as a very elegant lady.
I remember her dad as quite a good horseshoe player. You would often see him playing horseshoes where the men had set up a pit behind the Shull's cabin near Big Pier. Lew always made lots of ringers.

DB
Old 01-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #165
carguy

Default Passing of Weeks Family Members

I too was sorry to hear of the passing of all the Weeks Family members. I had a crush on Peggy when we were kids growing up in LSP. Peggy never made it to some of the reunions that we had ten years ago or thereabouts. I had not seen her since about 1960. The family was from Metuchen, NJ.

Bill C.
Norwich, CT 06360

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
The Following User Says Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
SteveA (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #166
carguy

Default Aerials by Lewis E. Weeks

The fourth picture is of Chanticleer Inn & Cabins that was located next to the Old Belknap Point Railroad Station in Gilford on then Rte. 11. I worked there in the Summers of 1959 and 1960.

Lewis Weeks used to rent a private plane on occasion at the Laconia Airport and fly over LSP. Lew was a great horseshoe player and softball player. He loved life and his time spent at LSP.

Carguy
Norwich, CT 06360
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carguy For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (01-31-2012), LittleMiss61 (02-06-2012), SteveA (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #167
mcdude

Default The Chanticleer

Thanks for jogging my memory carguy....I knew that pic looked familiar but could not think of the name of the place for the life of me!

-

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #168
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy View Post
The fourth picture is of Chanticleer Inn & Cabins that was located next to the Old Belknap Point Railroad Station in Gilford on then Rte. 11. I worked there in the Summers of 1959 and 1960.

Lewis Weeks used to rent a private plane on occasion at the Laconia Airport and fly over LSP. Lew was a great horseshoe player and softball player. He loved life and his time spent at LSP.
Welcome Back carguy! Great to see you out here on Winni.com. You've been missed!
carguy (02-08-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #169
Jonas Pilot

Default Amazing!

McDude, You have amazed me once again. You are a bottomless pit of Winnipesaukee imagery. Thanks again.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #170
Just Sold

Carguy...thanks for clearing that one up and like McDude it jogged my memory too. I do remember having dinner there as a child and the view from the restaurant was spectacular. I even remember my meal, trout.

BTW I figured out where the 10th photo is. It is Lilly Pond Road and Sanborn Road where they meet at Rt 11B, Weirs Rd and looking out at the end of Governors Island. The house with 2 dormers and the barn can still be seen on google maps today.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #171
LakeSnake

Gee - those in the second picture have a striking resemblance to the one at Horse & Bugy in Alton. Just wondering if there is a conection such as same builder or if some where moved to Alton at some point.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #172
mcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
McDude, You have amazed me once again. You are a bottomless pit of Winnipesaukee imagery. Thanks again.
Well thanks Jonas Pilot....I think....although I have never been called a pit before!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #173
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Memories!!

Wow McDude! Does that bring back memories! When I was a kid we stayed at the Chanticleer many a summer night! What a great place that was! It had a great game room in the main office building for us kids also!

I believe the owners last name at that time was Ryan... first name Bill maybe?? Anyone know whatever happened to him after he sold the place?

Thanks for bringing back great memories!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #174
mcdude

Here's another one....

Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #175
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
BTW I figured out where the 10th photo is. It is Lilly Pond Road and Sanborn Road where they meet at Rt 11B, Weirs Rd and looking out at the end of Governors Island. The house with 2 dormers and the barn can still be seen on google maps today.
I recognize the Cape Cod house with the full shed dormer on the extreme left. It still stands at the 11B & 11C intersection but it is now bright red with a green metal roof. You can't miss it on your left as you head towards the Weirs on 11B.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #176
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
I recognize the Cape Cod house with the full shed dormer on the extreme left. It still stands at the 11B & 11C intersection but it is now bright red with a green metal roof. You can't miss it on your left as you head towards the Weirs on 11B.
You nailed it! The K on the barn in the middle of the picture is King and the C is G for Grant. If you look at the King's Grant main house and barn you can see a close resemblance.

BTW, I use to teach alpine skiing with Mike Hickey at the King's Grant rope tow back in the 60's

http://www.cardcow.com/130027/horseb...t-inn-gilford/
Old 02-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #177
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
BTW, I use to teach alpine skiing with Mike Hickey at the King's Grant rope tow back in the 60's
That surely must be a different Mike Hickey than I grew up with.He broke both his legs skiing at the mighty Mcintyre ski area in Manchester.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #178
BroadHopper

Default Micheal Hickey

Yes. Different Mike Hickey. If you google Mike Hickey you will see he became president of the PSIA. He was also the head of the PSIA demonstration team. When I was certified PSIA at Wachusetts, Mike flew out from Mammoth Mountain CA to personally hand me the certificate.
SIKSUKR (02-03-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #179
chattypatty

Unhappy Chanticleer Inn

Ishoot308:
Jim Ryan was at the very least the manager of Chanticleer Shores. He might have been the owner, I am not really sure. My ex-husbands grandparents & parents were long time LSP residents who moved over to Chanticleer Shores when it opened up to new cottages. They built one right on the water & I spent many happy times at the lake at their camp. My mother in law sold it about 5 years ago to someone who had admired it for years. I still miss being up there.
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chattypatty For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #180
LittleMiss61

Default Chanticleer

Jim Ryan was my uncle. He, my Dad, Paul Greeley, and Vic Hatem, Joe Mahoney, John Ronan bought Chanticleer circa 1960. They sold lots and ran it for many years... Jim was the general manager and they all worked on weekends. I started cleaning cottages very young... Those were great days.

My nana, Margaret Greeley ran the Inn. She was awesome.
LittleMiss61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleMiss61 For This Useful Post:
chattypatty (02-20-2012), GenerousKing (08-18-2015), ishoot308 (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #181
chattypatty

Default LittleMiss61

All of those names are so familiar to me. I spent 15 summers going up on weekends & vacations with my husband & my daughter. She wanted so badly to purchase the camp from her grandmother, but it didn't work out that way. My daughter would say that her happiest summer days were spent up there. She played with the Hatem boys & all of the other kids up there. I am going to send her the link to these posts & pictures, I know she will be happy going down memory lane.
chattypatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #182
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss61 View Post
Jim Ryan was my uncle. He, my Dad, Paul Greeley, and Vic Hatem, Joe Mahoney, John Ronan bought Chanticleer circa 1960.
I can't recall what led to the exodus of several families from Lake Shore Park to Chanticleer.

Were they angry at Spanos / Rugg and some of their policies for LSP?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #183
Dickie B from HB

Default Family exodus

Hi John,
Absolutely. Spanos and the Ruggs became very intrusive. I don't know if all of the families felt that way, but I know that quite a few of them were upset by the management policies.
regards,
Dick
Old 11-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #184
RAY WHALER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rse2 View Post
I'm sad to report that Marion C. Weeks, wife of Lewis E. Weeks (also deceased), mother of Margaret (Peggy Weeks) Estey (deceased August 2011) and Stacy Weeks (also deceased), passed away last week at 97 years old.

The all loved LSP and talked about their wonderful summers there often.
I too would like to give my condolences to you, I have had many memorable moments with Peggy and Stacey that I shall never forget ,Mr.and Mrs.Weeks were an extremely respected mother and father and loved by all. They were very much missed when they sold and left LSP.It is hard to believe that they are not now with us.
RAY WHALER,
RAY WHALER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #185
dml01532

New here..not sure if this message is going where i want it to, or going anywhere. I got curious when mr v mentioned the "ufo" message. Someone called mr v, john. I believe I know him from the summer of '68 and that he was from NJ..(Borman?). My parents were members of the LSPA until the summer of '69. The "room" brought back great memories. I see a few families are still members. I remember mentioned names like the Mercandantes and the Degroots...friends of my parents and older brothers. We had Mercandantes old site next to Degroots. Just want to know what the park is like today. I haven't been there since the summer of '70.
dml01532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #186
RLW

Smile

dml01532, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Happy Thanksgiving and it sounds as if you may of heard of some of the residence up here. You keep looking and asking question and I'm sure you will get answers.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #187
MeredithMan

Default History of Lake Shore Park--MaryKay Cottage

I have found this entire thread to be very interesting and fascinating. The Lake has been an important part of my family's life, and it all began on Labor Day Weekend, 1973. We went away for the weekend and ended up at The MaryKay Cottage on the shores of LSP. I was just a 12 year old boy at the time, but it is probably one of the best childhood memories I have...playing ball in the water with my parents, a folk mass on Saturday evening in The Pavillion, and some older gent at the cottage next to The MaryKay who talked my father's ear off and began every sentence with, "Well anywho...."

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

Now, as an adult with my own kids, the lake is our home-away-from-home and we owe it all to that weekend at LSP and the MaryKay cottage.

MM
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #188
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post

The MaryKay was for sale at the time, I believe for $5,000.00. My parents were very tempted, but as I remember, you could only buy the cottage and not the land....not sure if that is accurate or not, but that is what I remember my parents saying. As a result, they didn't buy it, but eventually did find a place that brought them great joy the rest of their lives.

MM
Yes.. LSP is still the same. Members own their cottage/mobilhome, but they don't own any "land" Instead they hold a VMC (Voting Member Certificate) that makes them 1/310th owner/member of the LSP Association.

This setup was the result of a long court battle that went all the way to the NH Supreme Court. The Town of Gilford wanted the land and buildings to conform with the town zoning laws. End result was a settlement that set the outside measurement of all cottages and mobilhomes, and restricted the addition of any "new" sites. At the time of the settlement there was 310 "Members" and that number can never me increased.
Bottom line was the court decided that LSP Assc. Had enough land to cover the 310 member sites, (LSP owns a whole lot of land on the other side of rt 11)

The coolest part of the ruling from the court was ' (paraphrased) "LSP is like a chicken farm, the town can control the number of chicken coops, but not where they are located" result was that we can't add any more coops.

I was 23 years old, and bought in for $800! Best investment I ever made!
MeredithMan (12-04-2013), znh (05-09-2014)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #189
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dml01532 View Post
I got curious when mr v mentioned the "ufo" message. Someone called mr v, john. I believe I know him from the summer of '68 and that he was from NJ..(Borman?).
Yes D.L. (originally from Worcester, IIRC), it's me, John.

I moved to the west coast many years ago, but manage to get back to the lake occasionally to see family and just relax.

My family left the park many years ago; we still have a place near Ames Farm.

I wonder what ever happened to Paul?

Those UFOs were cool (thanks Dickie B from HB for showing me how!); we're lucky we didn't cause a forest fire with the danged things.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #190
Dickie B from HB

Default Leaving LSP for the summer

Well another Labor Day has come, and even though I haven't spent a summer at Lake Shore Park in over 50 years, Labor Day always brings back the memory leaving LSP and heading back down the road to New Jersey.
We had a cabin on Long Beach, four spots away from MiniHaHa (now Ellacoya).
We would leave New Jersey around the end of June and head to the lake, spend all summer there, and return home on Labor Day.
Nothing was more depressing than going back to New Jersey on Labor Day!!!
What made it even worse was that school would start the following day.
My parents would pack up the old Oldsmobile (no luggage, just laid all the clothes out in the trunk), while I would be out saying goodbye to all my friends, sometimes leaving a summer girlfriend behind.
We would close up the cabin, put the shutters on the windows, and lock the door. Then it was one last ride out through the ball field and over the bridge at the swamp and up to the pavilion to fill up on gas. Then out the bumpy dirt road past big rock (giving my father a final opportunity to curse at all the potholes) to the end and past the old Lake Shore Park sign and onto route 11.
Nothing was more painful then the ride from New Hampshire to New Jersey. Going from the pristine air of New England to the choking haze that hung over New York and northern Jersey is a memory that I would like to forget.
But, Labor Day always brings it back.

Last edited by Dickie B from HB; 09-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dickie B from HB For This Useful Post:
Mr. V (09-09-2014), Slickcraft (09-01-2014), Soaringeagle (08-29-2022)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #191
RailroadJoe

The first photo on this post was of the railroad station by McDude. I am curious to know if the gentleman who had the sign on top "LAKE SHORE PARK" ever gave it to the association? Last time I went by his pl;ace it seems he has moved on, not sure. Name of Roger
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #192
mcdude

“Lake Shore Park-an Historical Cruise”, Featuring Gerrie McKenna
(Weirs, NH – Wednesday, August 19th, 7 p.m.)
Lake Winnipesaukee Museum is hosting a presentation, “Lakeshore Park-an Historical Cruise, Featuring Gerrie McKenna

The year was 1890 and the date was June 17, the Concord & Montreal Railroad finished a rail line from Lakeport to Alton Bay. This railroad ran through Lake Shore Park which was owned by the Boston & Maine railroad and was one of the stops along the way.

Through these park grounds the Lake Shore railroad runs, dividing the park proper, on the water-front from the park community establishment, which occupies the remainder of the tract, on the south side if iron highway.

Gerrie has been a resident of Lake Shore Park for over 80 years. She will present the history of Lake Shore Park with historical photographs and documents. She will bring the history from when Lake Shore Park began up to the current day.

This event is free for Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society members, for non members there is a $5 fee with all proceeds going to benefit the Historical Society’s ongoing renovations. We are located on Route 3 in Weirs Beach, next to Funspot. Please RSVP to 366-5950.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #193
Mr. V

I recall walking to the Pavillion every morning, container in hand, to hand pump drinking water from the well: it was the only potable water source.

I also recall how the well was very close to a pazoozy (sic), i.e. a communal bathroom.

The toilets drained into a septic system, not sewers.

My questions: was there regular testing of the well water to detect contaminants such as bacteria?

Any known incidents of people getting ill from contaminated well water?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #194
SIKSUKR

Just ab fyi. I thought most setbacks from septic to wells were only mandated to be more than 100 ft. Doesn't sound like much but I dont think the bacteria get far from your system
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #195
gravy boat

Default LSP - early years

Love these old pics from my great grandparents. Before the cabins....
Attached Images

gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #196
Doobs41378

My grandparents camp is in the area shown in the second to last picture (4 up from the foot bridge). Obviously looks much different now. Was the marina there at this time or was that put in afterwards?
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #197
Dickie B from HB

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I recall walking to the Pavillion every morning, container in hand, to hand pump drinking water from the well: it was the only potable water source.

I also recall how the well was very close to a pazoozy (sic), i.e. a communal bathroom.

The toilets drained into a septic system, not sewers.

My questions: was there regular testing of the well water to detect contaminants such as bacteria?

Any known incidents of people getting ill from contaminated well water?
That well was said to be over 300 feet deep. Don't think that the seepage from the johns ever contaminated it. Never heard of anyone getting sick from the water.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #198
Dickie B from HB

Default Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
My grandparents camp is in the area shown in the second to last picture (4 up from the foot bridge). Obviously looks much different now. Was the marina there at this time or was that put in afterwards?
The marina was built by Spanos and Rugg in 1960 shortly after they bought the park from the Jones family. Those pictures were taken in the 30's.

That first picture is of my mother washing clothes on the dock in front of our cabin (them days are long gone LOL. We used to wash in the lake too with a bar of soap). Back then it wasn't much of a cabin. It was a board floor with wood sides that went up about four feet. The rest of it was a tent top that was put up each summer. Jones allowed the campers to store all their equipment for the winter in the barn on the other side of route 11 outside the park.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #199
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

My mom's aunt and uncle were Jim and Millie Foster. They were Scottish immigrants that lived in Andover MA. On a trip up to the lake by train, they saw the lake and the mountains, and Uncle Jim said that this area was the closest he would get to Scotland without traveling back there. Initially he had a platform with a wall tent and eventually built a cabin which he called the "Wee Hoose", Scottish dialect for little house. It was 71 years ago that I first came the lake as an infant. Since 1946, I have only missed a couple of years at the lake while I was I the military. Lots of memories of dances for the little kids, then being put to bed, and a group of parents would make the rounds of the camps to make sure the kids were ok. (Try doing that today!)(Of course, once you were put to bed, you stayed there. ) Don't know if the Wee Hoose is still there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #200
Dickie B from HB

Default I remember the Wee Hoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My mom's aunt and uncle were Jim and Millie Foster. They were Scottish immigrants that lived in Andover MA. On a trip up to the lake by train, they saw the lake and the mountains, and Uncle Jim said that this area was the closest he would get to Scotland without traveling back there. Initially he had a platform with a wall tent and eventually built a cabin which he called the "Wee Hoose", Scottish dialect for little house. It was 71 years ago that I first came the lake as an infant. Since 1946, I have only missed a couple of years at the lake while I was I the military. Lots of memories of dances for the little kids, then being put to bed, and a group of parents would make the rounds of the camps to make sure the kids were ok. (Try doing that today!)(Of course, once you were put to bed, you stayed there. ) Don't know if the Wee Hoose is still there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I remember seeing the Wee Hoose as a kid. We lived four cabins down from Mini-Ha-Ha (now Elacoya). We would come up to the lake from New Jersey at the end of June and go back just before Labor Day. I always thought that no one in New Jersey had better summers than we did. It was truly a blessing to spend the summer each year at Lake Shore Park.