Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
beagle

Default what kayak

We want to purchase a couple kayaks to use mainly for exploring around the Varney islands and South Wolfeboro bay and maybe into Wolfeboro bay. I want something that is stable and can handle some waves/wakes so when the kids take them out I won't be worried. (I know they won't be using them early in the day, since they sleep til noon!) Any recommendations?
Thanks!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Highlander

Default kayaks

we have 2 Old Town Dirigo 120 kayaks. They are 12 foot boats that are great for the lake. We tend to use them during the week in the evenings when the lake is quiet but have been out when it is busy and they are very stable and handle rough water very well. They also are easy enough to move so we can take them to other lakes and explore new areas. Our kids use them a lot and feel very comfortable in them also.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Seeker

I second the Dirigos. My wife has one she uses for fishing everyday. I believe they come in 10, 12 or 14'.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default old town

I have an old town 12 foot 2 person and it was great on the lake. I used to stay at Long Island Bridge campground on vacation before moving up here. I remember being out one time when the lake was really rough and it was a blast. That experience also made me realize a flag should be required as visibility was questionable for both myself and approaching boats.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Long Pine

Default Pungo

I have a 12' Pungo from Wilderness Systems. Very beginner-friendly which is great for me since we have a lot of guests over the summer who have never kayaked before. The more open cockpit design may make some people more comfortable (easier escape in a rollover) but the downside is that you probably get a bit more wet from water dripping off the paddles. The "rollover" issue has been irrelevant for us though since it is extremely stable. I asked my nephew to try to tip it and he had to work pretty hard at it. On the times when we have been out when the wind has kicked up or big boat wakes have rolled by, we have always felt very comfortable in it.

P.S. - we are kayaking in the same part of the lake - wave if you see an orange Pungo.
Long Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
nesun326

We have 2 Wilderness Tarpons. They are build for fishing and are sit-on-tops. but are great for just paddling around as well. They are easy to maneuver and very stable in the water. They are sturdy enough for a large man, but easy enough to handle for a petite woman or older child in calm water. Wilderness has lots of different kayaks and can be purchased at EMS, among other places. Just check online. Regardless of brand, I would also recommend looking for used. You can usually get a good price, and kayaks really hold up well, so most used ones tend to be in very good condition.
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Lucky1

Got to love those Pungo kayaks made by Wilderness. It is so easy to get around in them. I take mine all over. My favorite is an orange 14 footer. We started with 12 foot kayaks which we still have. However when we had guests we wanted to all go kayaking. The owner of the store suggested the 14 foot length. I wondered why I saw so many 10 and 12 foot kayaks if 14 was better and asked why that was. He said that if you have to mount a kayak on a car etc, you do not want a 14 foot length. He then said that a 14 foot length tracks faster but is a bit harder to make turns. They definitely track faster and with less work. I don't think they are harder to make turns, but am not racing or anything. That length is my favorite. I find that they are so comfortable that even with a bit of a bad back, I still am out there exploring with my gang.

I was once at a neighbor's having cheese and crackers and a beer. Only when it was time to leave did I notice the white caps!! Took it anyway and it was as steady as she goes!! However, if you are on a busy boat path on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, a kayak is not the boat for you at that time. Maybe then you take the Whaler! LOL Good luck in whatever you decide. PS I agree that the drops of water can give you a bit more water than the closed Kayaks but I am usually out in warm weather and shorts so that is fine on a hot day. It must also have something to do with the skill in using the paddle which I probaby just do in a way to be comfortable.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Lakepilot

I have a 16 foot Wilderness and my wife has a 9.5 foot pedal/paddle Hobi Cat. She loves the Hobi since she can (when peddling) take photo's, talk on the phone or whatever. I love the Wilderness. It's very fast because it's long, but if I'm in a narrow spot and have to turn it around, it can be tough.

With the Hobi you carry a paddle also to use when you'd rather paddle. You can leave the peddle mechanism home if you're going to be in shallow water.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Lucky1

Belmont Resident.......I was wondering what type of flag you were talking about as I have not seen them. I also think that kayak use and life preservers are a good idea though I have never tipped over.

Kids (and some adults) sometimes think they are invincible so probably best to make sure they are safe boaters before they do any boating alone.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee

I don't think anyone should ever be in a kayak without wearing a PFD.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesun326 View Post
We have 2 Wilderness Tarpons... They are sturdy enough for a large man...
I'm a large man and I have a 12' Tarpon and love it. It is a lot heavier than some other models. Only matters when you have to lift it on the roof racks or boat bow.

It really feels stable and goes pretty quick.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
beagle

Default Thanks all

for the info. We were looking at the pungo, but after reading the literature, I wasn't sure they were the best for a big lake like Winni. We will also take a look at the other wilderness and old town models you all recommend. I just want to make sure we get stable kayaks, but also ones that track well on a paddle home against the waves! I also want to make sure that if it tips, I won't get caught under it!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Newbiesaukee

We have had Pungo 12s for seven years and have been very happy with them. last year we bought a tandem from Wild Meadows made by a company whose designer had worked for Wilderness. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name, (?Native) but it has features that I like even better than the Pungo 12. I live on Long Island and usually do not travel much beyond Little Bear, Cow but I have always felt quite "safe" in the Pungos.

I just found a link, you might take a look at these..www.nativewatercraft.com/
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
TOAD

I have a 12' Wilderness Systems Pungo. Never a problem. Easy to handle (not too heavy), tracks great, and turns relatively easily. Good stability too.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
We have had Pungo 12s for seven years and have been very happy with them. last year we bought a tandem from Wild Meadows made by a company whose designer had worked for Wilderness. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name, (?Native) but it has features that I like even better than the Pungo 12. I live on Long Island and usually do not travel much beyond Little Bear, Cow but I have always felt quite "safe" in the Pungos.

I just found a link, you might take a look at these..www.nativewatercraft.com/
We have a two seater Native but the seats slip out and do not seem to fit well. Got it for guests really but will try it out again this season (FROST AFTER ALL THAT WARM WEATHER.......HARD TO BELIEVE THE TEMPERATURES THIS YEAR). I have been tempted to put the 14 foot orange Pungo in the lake SEVERAL TIMES THIS SPRING! Used my better judgement though!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
ApS

Lightbulb Glass-Bottom Kayak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle View Post
We want to purchase a couple kayaks to use mainly for exploring around the Varney islands and South Wolfeboro bay and maybe into Wolfeboro bay. I want something that is stable and can handle some waves/wakes so when the kids take them out I won't be worried. (I know they won't be using them early in the day, since they sleep til noon!) Any recommendations?
Thanks!
I can't speak to their stability, but these just started showing up at my winter location—as rentals.

Wish I'd had one when I was a youngster—studying critters and underwater rock formations as a budding scientist. Peering over the sides was a hazard!
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
VtSteve

I was looking at these http://www.portablekayaks.com/product/CQ-Dyad-Inf as something simple I could carry aboard my boat. Just paddling around, while at anchor, nothing serious.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Lucky1

Well here goes..............I am about to take out the kayak and stay near to the shore. Hope you all get kayaks that give you as much pleasure as mine have given to me and mine.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Can't remember the name at the moment. there is a Retailer in Center Harbor that I very much recommend. I believe Wild Meadow Canoe and Kayak or something like that. I have bought my 16' there as well as a 13'.... the best part is, at least they used to, let you try the boat right out the back of their location, they have a little beach.

Now as for a PFD someone in this thread mentioned you should always have a PFD on. That is a matter of opinion. The conditions that you are paddling in are what dictate that decision. Certainly when in open water, or rough conditions I will not disagree.... but I have paddle in some areas where I would disagree with that statement as well. However so that you have one at the ready and that will allow you to move properly I recommend getting one specifically designed for kayaking....the arm cut outs, are designed to allow the movements that you need.

I will also recommend the following. especially if you are going to spend time in open water.

a pump
a paddle tether
a paddle float

Last be not least many practice sessions getting into the kayak after falling out.... There is a technique for this... hence my recommendation for the paddle float. With luck you will never have to do this out of necessity, however if you do you will be dam glad you practiced.... I spend an afternoon every year practicing.