Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Life Jackets - Need recommendation

I need to replace a few of the crummy life jackets we have. I don't need artic survivial jackets. Looking for something that can also be worn while tubing or skiing ideally.

We already have several of the generic jackets that that come 4 to bag from West Marine.

I am looking to spending maybe $50-80 per vest. Can anyone make some recommendations? I don't want jackets that are just going to get shredded in a season or two but something that will last.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
fatlazyless

What a super deal.....for ten dollars each...... Wild Meadow Kayak & Canoe on the Moultonborough-Centre Harbor - Route 25 border, usually starts off each boating season with a bargain sell-off of last season's fifty-dollar, rental use pfd's.....pot-luck....colors and sizes. Kayak pfd's are designed for paddling plus have a zipper pocket for a pb&j sandwich. So, you might luck out and find one that still has some peanut butter left-overs in the pocket!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-11-2010 at 07:42 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Coolbreeze

You get what you pay for. Seems foolish to put a econo-pricetag on something that will be used to keep you safe. I have learned that the econo vests are great to have/use as spares to be compliant to the local boating laws, but a good well fit vest that may cost more goes a long way with durability and overall comfort when boating or skiing. If you go to craigs list you may find some but make sure the floatation material is not dry rotted.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Type III

You are looking for type III jackets. Make sure they are USCG approved. There are many good ones at the ship's stores of the merchants that sponsor this website.

You can go to westmarine.com to find prices to compare. They also have a neat guide to life vests.

Always put the boat name and/or you last name withe permanent marker on the vests. In case it gets lost, you can get them back.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Always put the boat name and/or you last name withe permanent marker on the vests. In case it gets lost, you can get them back.
Great idea, thanks. I'm thinking of the expensive vest that must have flown out of my boat 2 summers ago without my noticing. It would have been great to have gotten that back.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
I need to replace a few of the crummy life jackets we have. I don't need artic survivial jackets. Looking for something that can also be worn while tubing or skiing ideally.

We already have several of the generic jackets that that come 4 to bag from West Marine.

I am looking to spending maybe $50-80 per vest. Can anyone make some recommendations? I don't want jackets that are just going to get shredded in a season or two but something that will last.
Lawn Psycho;

If you have a membership to Sam's Club they sell some excellent PFD's at great prices. They are very well made and comfortable.

I honestly do not remember the brand name or price but I do remember it was a great buy. I bought a few a couple years ago and remember seeing them again just a week or so ago at the Sams in Manchester.

Dan

Edited to add "Body Glove" was the brand PFD's I bought at Sam's.

Last edited by ishoot308; 04-11-2010 at 01:34 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Airwaves

You do get what you pay for.

Mustang and Sterns make very good PFDs that are available in ski vest style that can be used both for skiing and tubing and to meet the legal requirements. Both will last for years.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
robmac

Sterns and Body Glove are both sold @ Sams club and WalMart at great prices,I have to replace several each year as kids grow and they are very affordable.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
Phantom

Lawn Pyscho --

Oddly enough, we have (through the years) been able to find some reasonably good quality "Ski jackets" USCGA at Target and also BJ's. YOu might want to check them out as well. We figure if we get 3-5 seasons out of a jacket it has done it's job!! West Marine, Overton's et al will certainly provide you with excellant "name brand" jackets ..... but you are paying for the name!! USCGA is the standard to look for!!

Point is ..... don't be timid, just because it came from BJ's or other!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
NoRegrets

I picked up some fantastic Body Glove vests from Sports Marine Parafunalia in Guilford. They had many choices and after comparing different models I found one that gives great movement and no rubbing around the arms. I use it all the time that and it is very comfortable for swimming, tubing, and kayaking.

This is also a locally owned family store and helps the local economy.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
ApS

Question PFDs Made Simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...for ten dollars each...... Wild Meadow Kayak & Canoe on the Moultonborough-Centre Harbor - Route 25 border, usually starts off each boating season with a bargain sell-off of last season's fifty-dollar, rental use pfd's..."
1) Last season's PFDs may offer good savings, but may not have the latest warnings and disclaimers. When the intended user is a sub-adult or child, the less capable it may be!

2) Last season, I snagged a new PFD that floated by my dock. (Marked Goodhue & Hawkins—size: Small) Shortly afterwards, an entire EbbTide* rear seat cushion—also marked G&H—came floating by!

*EbbTide is a boat manufacturer.

The PFD was stamped with several disclaimers regarding "suitability upon impact", and listed the speed for which it was not tested.

3) At my winter residence, I see modern PFDs that the elements (sun and salt water) have degraded into floppy uselessness.

4) All of which brought me to BoatSafe.com.

I've quoted excerpts, as the site has many redundancies:

Quote:
"...Labels may show recommended use but manufacturers are not required to state categorically a specific use for a particular PFD. If a PFD is labeled with an "Impact Class" ("Effective on impact at speeds up to [XX] MPH") you know that it has been tested by water impact for strength at the speed stated. This, however, does not mean it will give you personal protection..."

Quote:
Maintenance and Storage Tips

* Don't alter your PFD to make it fit. Buy another that does fit.
* Don't put heavy objects on it or use it for a knee pad or fender, it can lose buoyancy when crushed.
* Don't dry your PFD in a dryer, on a radiator, heater, or any other direct heat source. This can degrade and damage the buoyancy material.
* Don't let your PFD lie out in the sun when the boat is not in use. Sunlight weakens some synthetic fabrics very rapidly.
* Don't leave your PFD onboard for long periods of time when the boat is not in use, the heat can degrade its flotation.
* Do let your PFD drip dry thoroughly before putting it away.
* If your PFD has been in salt water, rinse it thoroughly with fresh water.
* Do stow your PFD in a well ventilated place.
* Do check your PFD for rips, tears, and holes and make sure seams, straps and hardware are okay.
* Do make sure there is no sign of water-logging, mildew odor, or shrinkage of the buoyant materials.
* Do check and replace spent cartridges in inflatable PFDs.
* Do put your name on your PFD if you are the only wearer. It will keep you from mistakenly putting on one that is not sized for you.
* Do test all your PFDs at the start of every boating season.
* Do discard old PFDs by cutting them up and properly disposing of them. You don't want someone finding one you[r] discarded [PFD] and using it.
* Do give your PFDs all the above checks, plus check their buoyancy in the water, at least twice a year.

The above suggestion (in red) is applicable mostly for older PFDs. Modern PFD flotation is really tough stuff. For emergency repairs, I carry a few plastic items in my PFD pocket. It took several "easy" Winnipesaukee summer seasons, but even plastic cable-ties managed to poke holes in the PFD's outer fabric!

As I am continually packaging delicate items for shipping, I've found that old or stained or otherwise rejected PFDs can be disassembled to recover (and recycle ) their lightweight, insulating, and relatively tough flotation packing. The flotation part actually holds up quite well: it's the synthetic outer fabric that the elements will eventually degrade.

I would add one more recommendation omitted by BoatSafe.com:

Quote:
*Don't store your PFDs where Red Squirrels can reach them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
"...I am looking to spending maybe $50-80 per vest. Can anyone make some recommendations? I don't want jackets that are just going to get shredded in a season or two but something that will last..."
Read the labels inside. They are a guide to how sturdy the PFD will be.

I found it amusing that kitesurfing—a form of windsurfing/sailing—sites recommend "impact PFDs" that cost over $200. Then I saw website recommendations that kitesurfing not be done near airports and runways!

FWIW...Kitesurfing is a form of exciting sailing that's growing in popularity along US coastlines. At my winter residence (SE Florida) I see it almost every day, where outrunning sharks is an important sail-board consideration.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
jmen24

If just for general boating use, go with the recommendations above, mostly proper storage will keep you from have to buy new ones next year. Dry them out when they get wet and store them out of the sun in a dry location. They are not a comfort item, they are a keep you above water item, does not matter what brand. I would get really comfy kid vests if you are getting some for children. I think a lot of folks overlook the comfort of their kids in a vest cause they have to be replaced so often, but the kids are in them at all times on the water.

If you are looking for something that will be worn more such as a ski vest or something to paddle with, then get fitted, as comfort is as much a concern as floatation, if it is uncomfortable you will not want to use it.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote