Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
seanymah

Default Marine Surveyor

I am somewhat new to boating and I have purchase a used boat and the insurance company is requiring a marine survey.

Does anyone have any information on surveyors in the area? What would be considered a "the going rate" for a marine survey?

Thanks for any help.
seanymah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
codeman671

Here is who I recommend. For an insurance company-required survey it is probably important to use someone that is nationally accredited, which not all surveyors are. Anyone can claim to be able to survey a boat, but having the credentials to back it up speaks loudly.

http://www.marinesurveyor.com/mlc/

Going rate depends on the services required. Compression check/mechanical check, overall hull and equipment, sea trials, etc. I think on average it is about $17 per foot for the normal survey without sea trials or compression.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
NoBozo

There are a couple of kinds of Marine Surveys. I am not a Surveyor but I had a 32 foot sailboat surveyed 20 years ago.

There is a survey done as part of a pre-purchase agreement prior to buying the boat. The person about to buy the boat pays for the survey and a lot of stuff is checked (compression, etc) according to what the buyer asks for.

The other type of survey is for Insurance Purposes and usually does not include mechanical stuff that would be considered part of normal routine maintenance schedule. If the insurance policy is to cover the boat for a boat "In Storage" only, the survey will state that. If the policy will cover the boat "In The Water" and underway as well, the survey will state that and certain other "Items" will be checked as part of the survey which will likely include hull integrity. The surveyor will go around the boat with a hammer tapping on the hull looking for delamintations/rot in a fiber glass hull. Laminate moisture content may be checked.

A good surveyor will know exactly what the Insurance Company is looking for.

Insurance companies don't usually ask for a survey in newer boats. They all have different Age requirements as to when a survey is required.

Back in 1988 when i had my survey done, it was for the boat IN Storage Only and as such, was mostly a "Visual" check of hull, machinery, and equipment condition. In other words..how well was the boat maintained? The policy essentially was for liability and/or Total Loss (Like fire) while stored only. The cost then for the survey was around $300. The surveyor essentially fixes a Value to the boat during the survey.

There are TWO kinds of Value that you should be aware of for insurance.

1. "Actual Cash Value" (ACV). Essentially Market value...less depreciation. (This is Normal)

2. "Agreed To Value" or "Valued" policy. This means YOU and the Insurance company AGREE that the boat is worth a Specific Amount at the time the policy is written, and THAT is what they will pay upon a total loss during the life of the policy. This is most common with Antique or Collector Boats, Cars, or other valuable items. etc. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 03-12-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: (SP)
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Gallagher Marine Surveyor

Default Marine Surveyor

I am a marine surveyor with an office in Laconia, NH. I have been servicing boats since 1974 & surveying since 1998. I am a member of SAMS with an engine & small craft designation. My web site is www.gallaghermarinesurveyors.com. The rate would be $15/ft for the boat & $75 ea. engine if a compression check is done. The insurance inspection typically does not require compression checks but it is a good thing to know if you are purchasing the boat. They basically want to know if it is going to sink, burn or crash & if it is worth the insured value. My cell is 978-807-2163. Thanks, Bob Gallagher
Gallagher Marine Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote