Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Dave R

Default TV show about wood boat construction

See: http://dhd.discovery.com/tv-schedule...709.128059.0.0

They'll be showcasing the contstruction of this:
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
fatlazyless

If anyone is interested, the River Edge Marina in Ashland has an antique style, new construction, 16' all-wood run-about, at a steal-of-a-deal, bargain basement price. It's been sitting in their show room for about three years, and they probably just want it gone. It looks like a 1940's run-about but was built maybe 3 1/2 years ago, plus it has a Honda outboard. A perfect fir for that English Tudor minimalist style boathouse that was just purchased for 7.8 million dollars on Wagon Wheel Trail, Meredith.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
robmac

Watched the show tonight. Great craftsmanship and pride in the work they were doing. I think I would have had a heart attach if the trailer broke on me. But a beautiful boat was created,wonder the total cost.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Dave R

I cannot imagine what it cost. Van Dam has built some gorgeous boats. Here's their website: http://www.vandamboats.com/ Susan C is my favorite.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
ApS

Default Mahogany in a Mass-Produced Boat...

Last month, a former renter abandoned a new trailer nearby with an 18-foot wooden runabout. The hull had suffered three holes—with the largest being no bigger than a postcard. (An easy repair using plywood and epoxy). The boat was otherwise sound.

Having built a similar boat of the same vintage, I marveled again at the skills used in building a wood boat—especially one built for mass-production! In addition to brass screws and bronze boat nails, each piece was glued in place using a resorcinol glue ("Weldwood"). That glue has been shown to endure over many decades in wooden aircraft construction.

Boat building is not like regular carpentry. Consider fitting a mahogany transom brace—a knee as it's called. It rises from an angled (and curved) hull bottom to meet a transom tilted at a gentle angle. Each of its surfaces was well rounded to prevent injury to bare feet. Everywhere one looked, such touches could be seen throughout.

Mahogany had been used nearly everywhere. Though the sun had yellowed the varnish, the iridescent and pearlescent glow of mahogany grain could still be seen. A weekend of sanding could have restored the finish. For inherent beauty, strength and lightness, there is nothing like mahogany in boat building.

The rest of the boat was remarkable for fit, hardware and built-in design strength. None of us were sure of the manufacturer, but the boat was said to have been made in Alabama.

Before I'd seen it, the owner of the property discovered it would cost $80 for the local government to pick it up as trash, so he'd started cutting it up for "regular" bi-weekly trash pickup.

I managed to salvage the 11-ply marine-grade plywood transom, complete with stainless steel fittings, hardware and copper boat nails. (Plans for pulling all the nails were stymied by finding the nails aren't moving! ) It is a very strong piece of plywood, and I plan to modify it as a small outdoor workbench surface—complete with vise: still, it's a sad ending to a seasoned wood boat that could have been returned to "show" condition in a couple of weekends.

Yesterday, after the usual Saturday pickup, only the trailer remained.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
robmac

I have to agree she is beautiful,but then again they all are pieces of art you can use. (even the blow boats)
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

Mahogany had been used nearly everywhere. Though the sun had yellowed the varnish, the iridescent and pearlescent glow of mahogany grain could still be seen. A weekend of sanding could have restored the finish. For inherent beauty, strength and lightness, there is nothing like mahogany in boat building.
I do a lot of wood working as a hobby and really enjoy working with mahogany. I used African Mahogany (the same type used in Sempre Avanti) a couple of years ago to make some custom cabinets for my master bathroom. The stuff is simply gorgeous, and pleasant to work with.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Grady223

Watched this yesterday - it was great. What a boat, wonder if any Van Dam boats are on the Lake. My wife wondered if Gage Hacker had any relationship to HackerCraft - anyone know?

Last edited by Grady223; 01-11-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: correct typos
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:09 AM   #9
ApS

Thumbs up Stauter Boat Works...

The one part of the boat I saved had SBW90 stamped on the knee. (Which I'm still trying to pry off the transom!)

Thanks to Google—SBW, and the hint that it was made in Alabama—I found that this wooden boat is still in production! (If you want a lightweight, very well-made and beautiful wood boat for fishing, that is).

http://www.stauterboats.com/contact.htm

...Or as a runabout...
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 02-09-2010 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Add other model—closeup
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I do a lot of wood working as a hobby and really enjoy working with mahogany. I used African Mahogany (the same type used in Sempre Avanti) a couple of years ago to make some custom cabinets for my master bathroom. The stuff is simply gorgeous, and pleasant to work with.

Dave, that is nice workmanship!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Dave R

APS, that is really nice looking. Wood adds such nice warmth and looks "right" on a boat.

VitaBene, Thanks!