Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
meredith weekender

Default Registration Fees

we registered the kids 14' aluminum boat yesterday and were quite surprised at the rate increase. Last year we paid $23.00 and this year were at $42.50. Wondering what the increase will be on our regular boat and pwc's. The state of NH is definitely NOT stimulating the tourist industry.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Without an outboard motor, a 14' aluminum boat would not need to be registered at all. For example, a 14'er with one or two sets of oars for one or two rowers would need no registration. I've never seen an aluminum sailboat, but at 14' even a sailboat would need to be registered as any sailboats of 12' or more, not including the rudder, must pay for a registration sticker. Aluminum canoes which commonly are 17' long do not require any registration when equipped with paddles or oars, but do need registration with a gasoline or electric motor.

What's your boat got for a motor.....tiller-handle or steering wheel? I have a 16' aluminum boat with a 40-hp on a steering wheel, and it's a little small for the broads somedays, but other days it goes out there okay. Being in that little boat out in the broads when the wind picks up makes it seem like a small surfboard in a very big lake....but at least it's cheap on gas...
Old 03-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Without an outboard motor, a 14' aluminum boat would not need to be registered at all. For example, a 14'er with one or two sets of oars for one or two rowers would need no registration. I've never seen an aluminum sailboat, but at 14' even a sailboat would need to be registered as any sailboats of 12' or more, not including the rudder, must pay for a registration sticker. Aluminum canoes which commonly are 17' long do not require any registration when equipped with paddles or oars, but do need registration with a gasoline or electric motor.

What's your boat got for a motor.....tiller-handle or steering wheel? I have a 16' aluminum boat with a 40-hp on a steering wheel, and it's a little small for the broads somedays, but other days it goes out there okay. Being in that little boat out in the broads when the wind picks up makes it seem like a small surfboard in a very big lake....but at least it's cheap on gas...
So does a 12ft or 14Ft aluminum rowboat with electric motor need to be registered?
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Misty Blue

Default Big boat, little boat.

Steveo:

If you put a trolling motor on your 10' canoe it becomes a motor vessel and requires a fire extinguisher, registration and full running lights at night. Welcome to the big leauges!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Last August 1, I was rowing around Horse island at dusk in a row-canoe and got stopped by an MP in a www.protectorboats.com for not having any lights. So's to my surprise, a row-canoe needs some type of light after sunset. Not sure if it needs to be a red/green & white or just a single white.

Anyway, the MP was a good guy and just let me slide with a no-money warning.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Squam Friend

The State hasn't raised registration fees in a long time on boats, so they did it all at once, effective August 30 of 2009. You can expect about a 20-50% increase in boat registration costs for this year across the board. If they had just made slight increases each year this probably wouldn't be such a big deal!
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
meredith weekender

It's a 14' LOWE aluminum boat with a 15h.p yamahe outboard. It's agreat boat for the kids to use in the bay.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
bigdog

Would anyone know if there is a boat registration fee for a 12' sailboat?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #9
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Would anyone know if there is a boat registration fee for a 12' sailboat?

Thanks,
BD
This is the statement on the NH Boat Registration site:

You must have a New Hampshire Certificate of Registration and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters in New Hampshire. This includes motorboats of any size (including those with electric motors) and sailboats or sailboards 12 feet in length or longer. The only exceptions are:

* Sailboats and sailboards under 12 feet in length
* Other small, non-motorized vessels such as canoes and kayaks
* Vessels registered in other states using New Hampshire waters for 30 or fewer consecutive days
* Vessels owned or operated by the U.S. government

What still is missing in this is what about rowboats, there is no mention
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Ditto for rowboats.....no motor-no registration. If it has an electric or gasoline motor then it needs to be registered and carry a fire extinguisher.

Believe that non-motored canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and sailboats are required to display a single white light after sunset as opposed to the red/green & white needed for a motorboat.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
DRH

Default Handy Checklist

According to the NH "Boat Ed" course, rowboats require no registration. The state provides a checklist indicating the various requirements for all types of boats here:

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p4-17_checklist.htm
Old 03-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
jrc

Boat fee

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...a/72-a-mrg.htm

Boat Registration

Section 270-E:4
270-E:4 Exemptions From Registration. – The following vessels shall be exempt from registration in this state:
I. Sailboats under 12 feet in length, rowboats and canoes powered by sail, oars, paddles, or other human power. Any vessel which has an inboard or outboard motor shall not be exempt from registration except as provided in paragraph II.
II. Vessels registered in another state or country temporarily using the waters of this state for not more than 30 consecutive days.
III. Vessels owned or operated by the United States government.
Source. 1990, 229:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1991.

Section 270-E:5
270-E:5 Registration Fees. –
[Paragraph I effective until July 1, 2015; see also paragraph I set out below.]

I. The registration fees for commercial, private, and pleasure vessels, including rentals and airboats shall be as follows:
(a) Up to and including 16 feet $24
(b) 16.1 feet to 21 feet $34
(c) 21.1 feet to 30 feet $52
(d) 30.1 feet to 45 feet $72
(e) 45.1 feet and over $92

[Paragraph I effective July 1, 2015; see also paragraph I set out above.]

I. The registration fees for commercial, private, and pleasure vessels, including rentals and airboats shall be as follows:
(a) Up to and including 16 feet $12
(b) 16.1 feet to 21 feet $17
(c) 21.1 feet to 30 feet $26
(d) 30.1 feet to 45 feet $36
(e) 45.1 feet and over $46

II. In addition to the fees required by paragraph I there shall be the following registration fees:
(a) $7.50 for each registration specified in paragraph I. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the lake restoration and preservation fund established under RSA 487:25.
(b) $1 for each registration required by this section. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the fish and game search and rescue fund established under RSA 206:42.
(c) $5 for each registration processed by an authorized agent of the department who is not an employee of the department. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be collected and retained by the authorized agent as compensation for processing the registration.
(d) $5 for each registration specified in paragraph I. The surcharge collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the statewide public boat access fund established under RSA 233-A:13.
(e) $2 for each registration for tidal or coastal waters. The surcharge collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the harbor dredging and pier maintenance fund established under RSA 12-G:46.
III. A vessel manufacturer or dealer, or a person engaged in vessel repair maintenance, shall pay $5 to the department for an initial registration certificate, and $3 for each additional registration certificate.
IV. The department may issue refunds to registrants in cases where a registrant has inadvertently registered the same vessel twice within the same registration period or has overpaid a registration fee.
Source. 1990, 229:1. 1992, 265:7, eff. Jan. 1, 1993. 1997, 185:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. 2000, 55:7, eff. July 1, 2000. 2002, 201:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2003. 2008, 282:6, eff. Aug. 26, 2008. 2009, 144:144-146, eff. Aug. 28, 2009; 144:150 eff. July 1, 2015.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
fatlazyless

For canoes, kayaks and rowboats the chart in post #11 says they need an all-around white light for after dark. How's about a smallish, olde fashioned kerosene lantern which has a yellow flickering flame? I think I recall reading somewhere this is also acceptable. This is a question of signifigant importance to me....I don't want to get busted for canoing with an old flame.....!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
bigdog

Steveo said the NH BOat Registration law states:
'Sailboats or sailboards 12 feet in length or longer' must vbe registered !

My sailboat is 12', at least that's how Mfg markets the boat, I do not know the exact dimensions, it could actually be 11'10" ?

I don't plan to register the boat in NH, or give the State of NH another dollar more than I have to......

Think those MP guys carry a tape measure on their boats ?

BD
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #15
fatlazyless

I asked an MP who patrolled Newfound Lake if he carried a tape measure and sure enough he said yes, and then showed it to me, saying something like otherwise how do I know what's 12'. So, 11'11'' does not require a sticker, and 12'0" does.

You know that the rudder does not get included.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 AM   #16
ApS

Exclamation Sailcrafts' Legal Nuances—I've Gotten a LOT of Warnings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
This is the statement on the NH Boat Registration site:

You must have a New Hampshire Certificate of Registration and validation decals to operate your vessel legally on public waters in New Hampshire. This includes motorboats of any size (including those with electric motors) and sailboats or sailboards 12 feet in length or longer. The only exceptions are:

* Sailboats and sailboards under 12 feet in length
* Vessels registered in other states using New Hampshire waters for 30 or fewer consecutive days
* Vessels owned or operated by the U.S. government

What still is missing in this is what about rowboats, there is no mention

Because of the new thread on rigging a canoe for sailing, it should be pointed out that a sailing canoe is exempt from registration. (No mention of length, and "a canoe" can be p-r-e-t-t-y long!)

Referencing canoes as sailboats:

Quote:
After receiving a written warning from an NHMP officer regarding my sailing kayak, I received a written response from Director Dave Barrett that kayaks can be included under "canoes".

As proof of my argument, I'd offered a photo of the International Canoe class—essentially a "decked" canoe with a sail.

Referencing sailboats just over 12':

bigdog:
Manufacturers "round-off" measurements: You'll need to measure it yourself, and take a photograph as proof, but your "12-foot" sailboat may not require registration.

Following the necessary fiberglass restoration—over time, I could save quite a bundle by sawing 4-inches off the bow of my littlest sailboat!

Referencing the tape measure:

Stopped by the NHMP in my 20-foot sailboat, I was asked for a tape measure!

Fifth-amendment violation, anybody?

Referencing lights after dark:

Earlier NH Boating Guides (available free at marinas and registrars) show a full-sized kerosene lantern displayed by a non-paddling paddler. How do you paddle while holding a lantern?

The Coasties allow a flashlight beam displayed on the sail (in a timely manner) ; however, this action permitted by the USCG is not applicable to Lake Winnipesaukee.

For small sail craft, I wouldn't recommend night-time boating on the lake at all: Most sail craft aren't equipped with lighting anyway, and could be lost among the lake-shore's normal stationary night-time lighting. There are times you couldn't be expected to be seen—at all—especially should the weather change unexpectedly.

IMO, the distance required for a navigation light's visibility is subject to debate: Arguably, there are some super-bright white LED lights available today that would probably work just fine.

Last edited by ApS; 03-24-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Many "auto-deletions" of characters and smilies: edited to complete
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
John A. Birdsall

Default sailboat length

I owned a sailboat and got spoken too because it was not registered. The MP asked how long it was and I said 11' 11 inches, and that is what the bill of sale said it was. However, at the time I did not know that sailboats over 12' had to be registered. I got home and measured it, it was just 13'. If the cop wanted to measure it, he would have to follow me into shore, cause I was just learning how to operate it, and when I stopped I was on the beach!
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

Earlier NH Boating Guides (available free at marinas and registrars) show a full-sized kerosene lantern displayed by a non-paddling paddler. How do you paddle while holding a lantern?
It's a row-canoe that uses two oars similar to a Piantedosi (www.rowingrigs.com) setup, and by making a lantern holder from bent bamboo that looks somewhat like a '?' so's to hold the lantern suspended correct. This is all very olde designs from "How to Oar Your Boat" from 1947.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #19
CL 240 LS

Default 12fT

The MP would stop and measure sailboards on Ossipee Lake years ago, if over 12 feet needed sticker but not numbers or plate. Also did not need PFD then and maybe still today.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 PM   #20
bigdog

I find it amusing and absolutely ridiculous, that a NHMP would actually
take the time and effort to measure a 12' boat, sailboat or other !

Like they don't have better things they should be doing ?
Where has common-sense gone?

BD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-27-2010), BroadHopper (03-26-2010)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #21
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Boat fee

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...a/72-a-mrg.htm

Boat Registration

[Paragraph I effective until July 1, 2015; see also paragraph I set out below.]

(a) Up to and including 16 feet $24
(b) 16.1 feet to 21 feet $34
(c) 21.1 feet to 30 feet $52
(d) 30.1 feet to 45 feet $72
(e) 45.1 feet and over $92

[Paragraph I effective July 1, 2015; see also paragraph I set out above.]

(a) Up to and including 16 feet $12
(b) 16.1 feet to 21 feet $17
(c) 21.1 feet to 30 feet $26
(d) 30.1 feet to 45 feet $36
(e) 45.1 feet and over $46

II. In addition to the fees required by paragraph I there shall be the following registration fees:
(a) $7.50 for each registration specified in paragraph I. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the lake restoration and preservation fund established under RSA 487:25.
(b) $1 for each registration required by this section. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the fish and game search and rescue fund established under RSA 206:42.
(c) $5 for each registration processed by an authorized agent of the department who is not an employee of the department. The fees collected under this subparagraph shall be collected and retained by the authorized agent as compensation for processing the registration.
(d) $5 for each registration specified in paragraph I. The surcharge collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the statewide public boat access fund established under RSA 233-A:13.
(e) $2 for each registration for tidal or coastal waters. The surcharge collected under this subparagraph shall be paid into the harbor dredging and pier maintenance fund established under RSA 12-G:46.
III. A vessel manufacturer or dealer, or a person engaged in vessel repair maintenance, shall pay $5 to the department for an initial registration certificate, and $3 for each additional registration certificate.
Interesting article in Laconia Daily Sun Dted May 30
MP has a 1.6 million reserve fund. Then why increase the registration fees?
Then they add $20.50 in other fees. Like the extra bag charge by airlines. It is becoming common practice to quote a price and then double the amount by adding small amounts for each little added item that used to be included in the basic price..
No increase in fees has been needed since 1989 because U.S. Coastguard has been funding 1.4 mil. of 3.0 million budget.
Steady increase in boat registrations had allowed MP to fund general operations and create a reserve fund.
So, O.K. the money is used to support boat operations. No, The legislature just drained $700,000 of boaters money to support general spending in Concord.
They also stole $500,000 from the public boat access fund. Guess there is already enough access to our lakes.
Big spenders of our money are not only in Washington, we have our homegrown bunch.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Kracken

When the state calculates your boat registration, isn't the value/year part of the equation?
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
When the state calculates your boat registration, isn't the value/year part of the equation?
I'm guessing that might be the boat fee referenced by the link to RSA 72-A:3 posted by jrc and quoted by Sunbeam Lodge above; this FEE looks like it's based on the length of the boat and the age of the boat (but not specifically the value of the boat).

This is NOT to be confused with the boat registration fee in RSA 270-E:5, also posted by jrc and quoted by Sunbeam Lodge; this FEE is based solely on the length of the boat.

THEN, you have all those other pesky little fees, like lake preservation fee, search and rescue fee, public access fee, etc., etc., etc.

That's just MY interpretation; correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #24
Kracken

If the value of the boat is part of the the registration fee (and I think it is), then why are we glossing over the 20-50% increase in registration fees? The state has not raised the registration fee in about 10 years and now they are raising it all at once. So we should be thankful because NH boaters got a break…Really? A break, I think not. What do you think an average boat MSRP was 10 years ago vs. today? If part of the registration is based on the original MSRP the state has got significant increases in revenue each and every year. Every time a boater trades in their old tri-hull for a new Cobalt, the state cashes in.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
Wolfeboro_Baja

Kracken, sorry but there is no indication in the RSA's that the boat's original MSRP is used in deciding boat fees or boat registration fees.

The value of the boat doesn't actually come in to play. The boat fee , RSA 72-A:3, assesses a fee based on the TYPE of your boat, length of your boat and age of your boat; nowhere does it ask for the actual dollar value. Yes, it looks like they're basing it on the value but they're doing it by looking at the type, size and age, not actual MSRP. Still, it looks like a tax, smells like a tax, but they're calling it a FEE!!

The registration fee, RSA 270-E:5, assesses a fee based solely on the length of your boat.

I just calculated my boat's registration fee using those two tables plus adding in the "pesky little fees" I mentioned earlier and it exactly equals what I paid to register my 25ft, 6 yr old boat this year.

Now, if you refer to these two old threads, Registration Increase?? What the He double hockey sticks! and Boat Fees to Double, you'll see there was a lot of discussion on this subject in the past. In the Boat Fees to Double thread, you'll find this link, Bill buoys lake patrol funds in the Citizen, where it mentioned in the fifth paragraph that the fees had not increased since 1979; that's 30 yrs, not 10. This article is referring to the first attempt to increase the boat registration fees which was later defeated and then re-introduced into HB2 as part of the budget. It was suggested in one of these threads (maybe both) that if the state had done moderate increases over the course of 30 yrs, the fee today might be the same as it is now with the sudden doubling. Just food for thought.......

(For all those Democrat-hating forum members here, please note the original bill to increase fees (as written about in the Citizen article linked above) was sponsored by a Republican!)

Quote:
Every time a boater trades in their old tri-hull for a new Cobalt, the state cashes in.
Yes and no, but mostly no. For every type/size combination listed in RSA 72-A:3, there are 5 steps of decreasing fees. Buy a new boat and the Boat Fee is at it's highest. Once it reaches 4 yrs of age and older, the fee is at it's minimum for that type and size. If you keep your boat for 15 yrs and then trade up to a 5 yr old boat, guess what? You're not paying the fee for a NEW boat because it's already at the minimum fee for a boat 4 yrs of age and older.

Does any of this make sense to anyone? I know what I meant to say but sometimes I get off the track a bit.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #26
VtSteve

Default This was important

I'm surprised only one person alluded to the fund theft that occurred for the MP budget. This is a copy of the Laconia article. Note that the fund is 57% of their annual budget. Due to declining registrations, the fund is not increasing, but being drawn down. Especially in years that the state decides to raid the fund.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-22-2011 at 03:12 PM.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #27
OCDACTIVE

There is supposed to be a discussion about this on the Brian Bulldog show tomorrow on 107.7. He is on from 1-3. I for one am going to tune in.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #28
VtSteve

I wish I could, could you post a link? I think it's amazing people would pass more laws, then gut the budgets of those that enforce them.

Regardless of what your position is on a particular law, this does smell bad for those that pushed for them, then remained silent.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote