Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Doris E & Sophie C

My wife & I needed a quick getaway week-end after the holidays so we decided to go to the lake this past Saturday for a nite. We spent the day more or less driving around the waterfront taking in the Ice, Bob houses etc and shooting lots of pictures. But I digress --

Went into Center Harbor to my wifes favorite store (Keepsake) and take in the Mount at dock. To my surprise was the fact that Doris & Sophie were both drydocked - in past winters they have always been docked.

and the reason for the post ---> To my greatest surprise I learned that Sophie is a single "screw" craft yet Doris is a "twin screw" ..... although I must admit I never gave it much thought while they are in the water - I was rather surprised and would think that it would be the other way around (if not BOTH single screw crafts).

p.s -- If anyone wants a great getaway nite, I highly recommend the old B Mae's/ Fireside. Can't beat the price (<$100), large rooms, has a pool and is very clean & presentable
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Phantom

Forgot to add the picture --

Also added (I hope) a picture taken of the Broads-- Doesn't look very safe out there to me !!!

both pic's have had their filesize radicly reduced in order to post!!
Attached Images

Jonas Pilot (01-12-2010), XCR-700 (02-20-2010)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
My wife & I needed a quick getaway week-end after the holidays so we decided to go to the lake this past Saturday for a nite. We spent the day more or less driving around the waterfront taking in the Ice, Bob houses etc and shooting lots of pictures. But I digress --

Went into Center Harbor to my wifes favorite store (Keepsake) and take in the Mount at dock. To my surprise was the fact that Doris & Sophie were both drydocked - in past winters they have always been docked.

and the reason for the post ---> To my greatest surprise I learned that Sophie is a single "screw" craft yet Doris is a "twin screw" ..... although I must admit I never gave it much thought while they are in the water - I was rather surprised and would think that it would be the other way around (if not BOTH single screw crafts).

p.s -- If anyone wants a great getaway nite, I highly recommend the old B Mae's/ Fireside. Can't beat the price (<$100), large rooms, has a pool and is very clean & presentable
As far as I recall from working on the Doris back in the early 90's she is outfitted with twin Allis Chalmers diesel engines. The twins make her a tad easier to handle in tight spaces. She can turn on a dime around the docks. Sophie is a bit tougher to handle in an around the docks. As far as the HP on either boat goes I am drawing a blank.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
PC31

i thought the Mount was going on dry dock to change the engines?

Last edited by PC31; 03-12-2011 at 02:15 PM.
PC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC31 View Post
i thought the Mount was going on dry dock to change the engines?
Apparently, the decision was made to keep the Mount in the water while they changed the engines. Read this thread, http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8647, for more info on that.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming......

Interesting to know about the Doris E and Sophie C; at a glance, I used to think they were identical but when I started studying them more closely at dock, I could see subtle differences. However, I had no idea one was a twin-screw and the other a single!
Pineedles (01-14-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
trfour

Thumbs up Awesome photos Phantom...

Thank you for sharing with us!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
AltnBay (01-16-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
piper_chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
As far as I recall from working on the Doris back in the early 90's she is outfitted with twin Allis Chalmers diesel engines. The twins make her a tad easier to handle in tight spaces. She can turn on a dime around the docks. Sophie is a bit tougher to handle in an around the docks. As far as the HP on either boat goes I am drawing a blank.
A tad easier to handle is an understatement. I was the deckhand on the Doris for two summers in the 70s (76 and 77, I think). The captain was fairly young and we had a great time. My boat handling skills were good enough that he let me pilot the Doris on many occasions. This included docking in Meredith fairly regularly. It was actually pretty easy.

I had to work the Sophie once or twice when the regular deckhand was ill. From what I remember, the engine started with compressed air and similar to the Mount, had to be shut off to shift between forward and reverse. They would occasionally have issues getting the engine going again and the crew of the Doris had to be prepared to detour to get them out of trouble. I recall at least one occasion where we did receive such a call. We changed course to head for them and I had to begin prepping ropes and bumpers to tow the Sophie back to port. Fortunately, they got her started before we got there.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piper_chuck For This Useful Post:
robmac (02-21-2010), XCR-700 (02-20-2010)