Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
iheartloonisland

Default Washing machine info

We are needing to purchase a new washing machine for our island property. The machine will obviously spend the winter in unheated space. Looking for recommendations for brands, features, things to avoid, etc. I have researched winterization techniques, with most recommending using RV antifreeze. Do you have other recommendations?
iheartloonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
LSBA Joker

Default winterizing washer machine

On the mainland, but similar situation as our machine is left in an unheated area for the off-season. I actually run non-tox thru my entire water system including enough thru both hot and cold water lines to completely purge intake side as well as the pump and drain trap of water. In the spring, I let the tub fill with a few gallons of water and set the dial to spin/drain. Good to go for all those beach towels!
This for an older Kenmore top loader. Good luck.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
ursa minor

We're islanders too, very familiar with this. We use a wet / dry vac to pull as much of the residual water out of the pump section and compressed air on the pressure side. Switch the hot / cold temp control a few times while blowing it out to get both the hot and cold sides of the water solenoid valve. Final step is pouring some RV anti freeze down the hoses (flip the temp control a couple more times) and then roughly a half gallon into the tub to dilute any remaining water in the pump. Only takes 5 to 10 minutes. (Not including horsing the shop vac and compressor around...)

Wait, why are we talking about this??? It's still summa!
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
Happy Gourmand

I disconnect the supply lines and drain them. Then I disconnect the drain line and empty it in a dishpan. I pour RV antifreeze in the tub till I see it come through the drain line. I leave the supply lines disconnected but put the drain hose back in the drain. Never had a problem when I reconnect the supply lines in the spring and run a short cycle to clear out the antifreeze from the tub and pump.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
Orion

Default easy to forget

Don't forget to put RV antifreeze in the washer drain pipe trap. We've been using a Maytag Neptune for 13 years and just drain it per mfr instructions each year. No problem yet. I also add some RV antifreeze to the tub and run it through a fill and drain cycle with hoses disconnected as others have said.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
iheartloonisland

Default thanks for replies!

And I do know it is only early August! At least 8 weeks more of this glorious weather which is such a relief from the steamy Southeast.
iheartloonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
songkrai

Your choices are basically

Whirlpool and all of it's sub brands such as Amana, Maytag and some Sears.

and

General Electric - GE and Hotpoint. And I think GE appliances was sold to Electrolux.

Then the Korean brands, German brands, etc.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote