Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
jetskier

Thumbs down Weathervane

I have made it a practice to post favorable comments about restaurants when we have a good experience. As such, I have no trepidation about posting a negative comment when the experience is very poor.

We went to the Weathervane this evening; the restaurant was quiet (about 6 tables occupied). We know that this is typically a changeover period for restaurants, but we were not expecting to be treated this poorly.

After being seated, we were completely ignored. We waited and waited and waited. Finally, after 15 minutes, we flagged down one of the staff who indicated that someone would come right over. Another 5 to 10 minutes of waiting and we walked out.

It appeared that no one was really getting much service and the staff pretty much did not care. I heard that they are shutting down in a couple of weeks; maybe they should just do it now.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Assuming you are talking about the Concord venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I have made it a practice to post favorable comments about restaurants when we have a good experience. As such, I have no trepidation about posting a negative comment when the experience is very poor.

We went to the Weathervane this evening; the restaurant was quiet (about 6 tables occupied). We know that this is typically a changeover period for restaurants, but we were not expecting to be treated this poorly.

After being seated, we were completely ignored. We waited and waited and waited. Finally, after 15 minutes, we flagged down one of the staff who indicated that someone would come right over. Another 5 to 10 minutes of waiting and we walked out.

It appeared that no one was really getting much service and the staff pretty much did not care. I heard that they are shutting down in a couple of weeks; maybe they should just do it now.

Jetskier
I assume you are talking about the Concord venue. We stopped in there some months back, in the spring I believe. Service was ok, nothing spectacular, but I didn't really expect stellar service.

I know the Bedford NH venue on rte 101 closed several months ago, maybe even more than a year ago.

With all that being said, it is certainly inexcusable to have that kind of bad service. Hope you went to Makris and had a good meal.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Concord?

The Weathervane website lists locations in Bedford, Salem and Nashua, and says
"closed" for all three. There are other sites that seem to be open.

Last January, there were newspaper articles about 4 locations closing, three in Maine and the Bedford NH one. Bedford has been torn down. Nashua and Salem apparently followed.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
jetskier

Post Actually Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I assume you are talking about the Concord venue. We stopped in there some months back, in the spring I believe. Service was ok, nothing spectacular, but I didn't really expect stellar service.

I know the Bedford NH venue on rte 101 closed several months ago, maybe even more than a year ago.

With all that being said, it is certainly inexcusable to have that kind of bad service. Hope you went to Makris and had a good meal.
Sorry about the lack of specificity. It was the Laconia (Weirs Beach) location. We have had good luck there in the past and it had become our "go to" locally for lobster.
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
GodSmile

Default Same Experience

We've had similar experience this summer. Went during a non peak time. Sat upstairs for 20 minutes, were completely ignored. Left. Unfortunate because I liked having this option in the Weirs... we like to visit by boat. Not anymore.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

To be totally honest, I'm thrilled to hear the Weathervane will be closing at the Weirs (edit: just discovered not closing for good, but for the season--dang). I cannot stand how America has let chains take over, and I absolutely HATE visiting vacationy areas to find chains.

And here's why: chain restaurants and stores all follow the same recipe--they start out fabulously as a local concept, begin to grow as a result of that greatness, expand, and, ultimately, get bought out by some investment company that eventually destroys what was originally great about them in the name of making money.

What I LOVE about the Lakes Region is that it has, for the most part, resisted this, and supported mom-and-pop businesses. I'll gladly, SO VERY GLADLY, pay a bit more for this.

Eat on!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 09-04-2015 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Accuracy/info discovery
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

PS The Weathervane fits the above perfectly--when there was only one near us, in Salem NH back in the 80's, it was AWESOME and we went every Friday night, when the wait was over an hour.

PPS Worse than local venues being destroyed by financiers is when "fake unique" chains are opened. It was always sad to hear my students blown away by how unique Hollister's stores were, until their homework was to visit the three local malls and they discovered they're all the same!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #8
GodSmile

Default agree but

agree wholeheartedly about chains.... however it was the only semi clean eating establishment near the docks (with apologies to Faro, I just don't like eating Italian food out, mine is better)... I liked having a clean place to eat that wasn't falling down around me
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
GodSmile

Default let me clarify....

I like my Italian cooking better than anything I've had out.... should not have said mine is better than Faros....
Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
Just Sold

I know that the Bedford Weathervane has been torn down and the Waterville, ME location is closed and up for lease. Not sure of any other closures.

Here is the list from their web site of open Weathervane's:

~ All Locations ~

WEATHERVANE RESTAURANT
Kittery, ME
Dover, NH
Chichester, NH
Salem, NH
West Lebanon, NH
Nashua, NH
LOBSTER IN THE ROUGH
Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH
Badgers Island, Kittery, ME
THE ORIGINAL SHACK
Kittery, ME (Closed for the Season
Old 09-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Oooooppppsssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The Weathervane website lists locations in Bedford, Salem and Nashua, and says
"closed" for all three. There are other sites that seem to be open.

Last January, there were newspaper articles about 4 locations closing, three in Maine and the Bedford NH one. Bedford has been torn down. Nashua and Salem apparently followed.
I always think of it being Concord, but it is actually Chichester, near the east end of I393 on 4/9/202/Dover Rd.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I always think of it being Concord, but it is actually Chichester, near the east end of I393 on 4/9/202/Dover Rd.
You are correct.
My son and I ate there last week. Service was great, and food was excellent.
Believe me, I am not one for "chain" seafood, but I think they have decent food. It's not like I am a regular, I have been there like 5 times in the 20+ years that I have lived in the Concord area.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I know that the Bedford Weathervane has been torn down and the Waterville, ME location is closed and up for lease. Not sure of any other closures.
You beat me to it.I drove by the Bedford location and it was not there.