Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default no mice

Just an observation. When we opened up this year there were little to no mice or mouse droppings. Last fall we repeated our closing ritual of a thorough cleaning and dryer sheets everywhere but for some reason there were remarkably less rodent issues this year than in past years.

I am inclined to think it had something to do with the winter we had but other than that I am at a loss.

Thoughts?
HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Just an observation. When we opened up this year there were little to no mice or mouse droppings. Last fall we repeated our closing ritual of a thorough cleaning and dryer sheets everywhere but for some reason there were remarkably less rodent issues this year than in past years.

I am inclined to think it had something to do with the winter we had but other than that I am at a loss.

Thoughts?
HCG

Don't think about it and wonder why, just be thankful. Hey, how about any of this?????
Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
phoenix

I had the same result so don't know if the amount of snow or dryer sheets but it was welcome
Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
rick35

Default Ditto

Same with us. Switched over to dryer sheets last year and no problems again. And it smells a whole lot better. Three or four years ago we had a late freeze and the mice got into everything. Had to replace most of the pillows and some of the bedding. Now everything goes into sealable tote boxes just in case.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Dryer Sheets

[QUOTE=rick35;156971]Same with us. Switched over to dryer sheets last year and no problems again. And it smells a whole lot better.

Does it matter what brand of dryer sheets you us? Are some brands better than others?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
rick35

Just grabbed a box at walmart. I'm guessing its the odor so maybe the stronger the better or at least more of them.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
AC2717

ok do you just lay them out
I am confused

Everyone's mice showed up at our place. wow we have never had this much eveidence before, but beds and everything else were fine. and we had nothing in the cabinets and nothing other than furniture in the house
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Maybe they were getting away from the noise.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Maybe they were getting away from the noise.
ha ha that was a good one lol
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Grant

Last spring, I found that the little buggers had nested in a cabinet where we keep pots & pans -- and lots of droppings under the sink. Never saw that before. This year, nothing, and none of the baits touched, either (as is the case most years). And not much of a nest inside the BBQ in the garage, either. Just a few spent acorns.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
Grady223

A few years ago I went under the cottage and sealed all openings with foam and made sure all doors were weather tight. Have not had a mouse (knocking on my wooden desk). We started out with moth balls, went to moth balls and cloves and now to dryer sheets and cloves - still no mice. As added insurance, I close all interior doors tight and make sure the bottoms are sealed - in case a mouse gets in they don't have the run of the place. All of the food we leave is in sealed plastic (Tupperware) containers. All this has worked so far.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
uschisk

Default Mice made homes with dryer sheets

I had heard about dryer sheets too, so we tried them - they smell nice, we were hoping they would work. Last year - used dryer sheets, no issues.

This year - the mice were living inside my son's mattress, and had a nice little nest with babies in it made out of my dryer sheets on top of their entry hole. We had dryer sheets all over the house - and lots of evidence of mice.

We didn't do anything differently than the past few years....seems like luck of the draw... but I think dryer sheets are be too good to be true.
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post

I had heard about dryer sheets too, so we tried them - they smell nice, we were hoping they would work. Last year - used dryer sheets, no issues.

This year - the mice were living inside my son's mattress, and had a nice little nest with babies in it made out of my dryer sheets on top of their entry hole. We had dryer sheets all over the house - and lots of evidence of mice.

We didn't do anything differently than the past few years....seems like luck of the draw... but I think dryer sheets are be too good to be true.
I found the same to be true. I used several different brands starting way back when the thought first became know to us and had the same results as above. I ended up going through my cottage from top to bottom filling every hole from the size of a pencil on up with steel wool and haven't had a problem now for over 4 years. (Not one dropping) I wasn't able to get all the hole the first time around and had others look also to see if they could find holes that I over looked.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I found the same to be true. I used several different brands starting way back when the thought first became know to us and had the same results as above. I ended up going through my cottage from top to bottom filling every hole from the size of a pencil on up with steel wool and haven't had a problem now for over 4 years. (Not one dropping) I wasn't able to get all the hole the first time around and had others look also to see if they could find holes that I over looked.
I think that is the answer - make the house access free for the critters. I used foam, but steel wool obviously works. My concern would be that it rusts and deteriorates in our damp environment.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
winnisummergal

Default what's that smell??

My first time opening after a long winter and I had no idea about mice issues. Charged the battery on the car and started it right up, turned on the AC and heard a strange thumping noise coming from the fan so I turned it off. A few days later a nasty smell...took it to the dealer and you guessed it, a family of mice had been living there. The car is now referred to as "the rat mobile" and I cringe everytime I turn on the AC.
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnisummergal View Post
My first time opening after a long winter and I had no idea about mice issues. Charged the battery on the car and started it right up, turned on the AC and heard a strange thumping noise coming from the fan so I turned it off. A few days later a nasty smell...took it to the dealer and you guessed it, a family of mice had been living there. The car is now referred to as "the rat mobile" and I cringe everytime I turn on the AC.
Had the exact same thing happen to my gf's car last month. 2nd time and the problem is you have to pull the dash to get at it.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
sleeper

Question messy mice

this was our first winter with a furnished cottage and the mice had moved in! we didn't expect this..... what is the deal with the dryer sheets?
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote