Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
NHKathy

Default Jetski Registration -what is needed?

I have done a search for this info, but did not come up with much...

Can someone out there tell me what paperwork i will need to get a jetski registered in NH? Does NH require a title and/or bill of sale? (i'm coming from out of state and want to make sure i have all the necessary paperwork, so as I don't have to go back & forth)
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Meredith Marina

To register it you'll need a bill of sale with the hull number and signatures of the buyer and seller. NH doesn't title boats so you don't have to worry about that.
Meredith Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
AC2717

Default Question

I have my jet ski registered in NH, picked it up on Friday on a temp plate for the trailer, I live in MA, but jetski never leaves NH. Neither does the trailer and I do have my cottage in NH. I have friends that have the same type of set ups with their boats and have the trailer registered and plated in NH. Can I do the same seeing the machine is registered in NH, and use that residence? I believe I can and how do I go about doing so because the bill of sales for both the machine and trailer have my MA address on the for mailing?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Rockdaddy

When I registered my out of state jet ski, all I need was a bill of sale and a old registration from the state it came from
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
NHKathy

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info, Meredith Marina and Rockdaddy
much appreciated...
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I have my jet ski registered in NH, picked it up on Friday on a temp plate for the trailer, I live in MA, but jetski never leaves NH. Neither does the trailer and I do have my cottage in NH. I have friends that have the same type of set ups with their boats and have the trailer registered and plated in NH. Can I do the same seeing the machine is registered in NH, and use that residence? I believe I can and how do I go about doing so because the bill of sales for both the machine and trailer have my MA address on the for mailing?
I think that question would be best answered by the town clerk in the town that your cottage is located in.

This creates an interesting question, why is it that you can register your boat or PWC in NH with an out of state residence but not other seasonal toys. Not really looking for an answer to that question but there was a healthy debate regarding this very same subject, but a different season of interest.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I think that question would be best answered by the town clerk in the town that your cottage is located in.

This creates an interesting question, why is it that you can register your boat or PWC in NH with an out of state residence but not other seasonal toys. Not really looking for an answer to that question but there was a healthy debate regarding this very same subject, but a different season of interest.
Are you referring to snowmobiles? Not sure what you mean, out of staters register sleds in NH all the time, it just costs a little bit more.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Seeker

Snowmobiles must be registered in NH to ride in NH due to reciprocity issues from many states. Same as we have to register in Maine to ride in Maine. Thank God it's not like that with boats (yet). Should be no problem registering your trailer here as long as it remains within the state most of the time. It's a non-resident registration and I don't think any town can turn you down.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I thought it went beyond sleds and included anything that requires an OHRV decal.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
jmen24

I guess I was not in complete understanding of how this works. Do you have a non-resident fee for the trailer plates. I have never registered my boat outside of NH, so I do not know how that works for Maine or VT. I understand the non-resident fees for the OHRV and snowmobiles, but did not know if there was a seperate system for the boats as well. I thought it was being stated that the friends were registering the boats as residents, but like I said I may be misunderstanding this, not being familar with the non-res vs resident boat registrations. Is it a seperate fee system?
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I guess I was not in complete understanding of how this works. Do you have a non-resident fee for the trailer plates. I have never registered my boat outside of NH, so I do not know how that works for Maine or VT. I understand the non-resident fees for the OHRV and snowmobiles, but did not know if there was a seperate system for the boats as well. I thought it was being stated that the friends were registering the boats as residents, but like I said I may be misunderstanding this, not being familar with the non-res vs resident boat registrations. Is it a seperate fee system?
Not for boats, I don't think it is different for out of staters. If not a resident, then the trailer is registered in the home state, and the boat (if used more than 30 days in NH) is registered in NH. The fees and structure are completely different from OHRVs.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
AC2717

Default Ok

Now I have an issue, because I have MA friends and family that have their boat registered in NH as well as their Trailer, they never leave the state like mine does, I should be able to register the trailer in NH as well?
They did their a couple of years ago and do not know if the rules have change. I do have a residence in NH but not my primary?

So who should I contact to get the definitive answer and where do I have to go to get it registered if possible and what do I need to bring with me?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
Highlander

Check with your town clerk, you can register a trailer in NH even if it is not your primary residence as long as you own property in NH. They will tell you that it can not leave the state. Don't know the legality of that, you may also want to check with your insurance company regarding coverage.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote