Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default boat registration fee increase

From today's LaDaSun, we learn that Marine Patrol director, David Barett, has asked State Rep Richard Drisko (R-Hollis) to sponsor a bill to raise the boat registration fees.

It would double the fees. For vessels up to 16 feet, it would go from $16 to 25. For vessels between 16 to 21 feet, from $17 to 35. For vessels from 21 to 30 feet, from $26 to 50. For vessels from 30 to 45 feet from $36 to 70. For vessels more than 45 feet, from $46 to 90.

In addition the local town's processing fee will go from $1.50 to 5.00. Registration will continue to apply to all motor boats, and to sailboats 12' and longer, but not for kayaks, canoes, rowboats, and sailboats less than 12'.

"Drisko, a mainstay of the Exotic Aquatic Weeds and Species Committee - or "Weeds Committee" - said that the bill would increase the add-on for the lake restoration and preservation fund from $5 to $6,, raising the amount available for matching grants to local lake associations and municipalities to treat milfoil and other invasive species."

For example, a new diesel powered cabin cruiser of 52 feet or more will cost $1761, while a new 12' outboard with a 10 horsepower motor will cost $10.
Laconia Daily Sun,
Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
fatlazyless

From the LaDaSun news report, we learn that the NH boat registration fees have been the same since 1989. Director Dave Barett says the Marine Patrol simply needs more money to better fund its' operations as well as the program to keep invasive weeds like milfoil from spreading.

The Marine Patrol has enlarged its' fleet and operations considerably since 1989.

If and when the new fee schedule gets passed, one way to avoid the five dollar, formerly 1.50, local town paperwork charge is to go directly to the Marine Patrol. Over at their Glendale headquarters in Gilford they have a walk-in office that is set up for while-you-wait, processing your registration. Plus you can take a gander at all their different boats while there including their 42' twin diesel powered, "battle cruiser."
Old 12-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Airwaves

Hmmm...increased fees the same year the "that which must not be spoken of" law that "will not cost anything" goes into effect...Hmmm.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
AC2717

Default Agreed and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
Hmmm...increased fees the same year the "that which must not be spoken of" law that "will not cost anything" goes into effect...Hmmm.
Not only this but in an economy that is terrible. I know the fees have not increased since 1989 but come on more than double, I could see a gradual increase, but the way things are going they are going to make more people leave their boats in their yards more than ever then if gas goes up again with the recent cuts in production OPEC just did. Why is it that the minute someone becomes a politician or someone in the public domain gets some power they become economically Stupid. It must be something in the job descriptions that we do not see.

Like this new stimulus plan that is supposed to be coming in Feb 09. Let see gov. and economy in terrible condition, I got it lets spend more increasing the deficit and then take in less money with tax cuts.

Why not, stop spending money, cut where needed so you can take in less money so the private sector and the citizens have more to spend therefore raking in more tax money on purchases and things like that at today rate rather than less at a higher rate. I swear....
Old 12-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
jeffk

Default Well...

I have said several times that I would support an increase in fees directed to helping the Marine Patrol do a better job. In addition, milfoil is definitely a big problem.

Yeah, the timing is lousy but for most of us this is an extra $25 bucks or so. With gas prices back down I save that in 1/4 of a tank fill up. And I actually may get some real benefit from my money for a change.

And it HAS been 20 years since an increase.

I would like them to hit up the non powered boats as well. They benefit from better patrolling and weed control as much as a powered craft. Searching for lost canoeists and naked kayakers must keep the marine patrol pretty busy.

Maybe, since it was said that no additional money would be needed for the "law that must not be named", they could add a clause that says no money will be expended on it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
AC2717

Default Question

Does the registration money if sent into the state go into the general fund?
How is this disbursed when you mail it into the state? When you go to a local place and register? Anyone have the breakdown for each way?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
trfour

Default Hey, Lets Face It....

"Things have got to go up from here!"

Lots of folks are depending on it!...

Whats say, Upthesaukee?

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote