Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
lakershaker

Default Hydra-Sports 180CC

Anyone have any experience with Hydra-Sports? I think it is the same parent company as Wellcraft. Looking at the 18' center console.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Someone I know has one with a 115hp Evinrude two-stroke and uses it on the ocean bay areas around Marblehead, Mass. Has had it for over ten years. Apparently, there's a real good Evinrude dealer-mechanic in Marblehead for service. The boat basically looks like new after ten years ocean use moored all summer in salt water with the outboard out of the water.

No doubt it gets cleaned, waxed, bottom painted and maintained and it still looks great......very well constructed.

Probably Boston Whaler people will look down their noses at a Hydrosport, but who cares!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #3
dan

Default hydra-sport

I bought a 2005 202dc new in North Carolina. Picked it up there and pulled it back to the lake. Found small crack in interior when I got back. Called factory and they asked me to send pictures and cost est. They supplied materials and allowed me to pick the repair shop. Sent him a ck. when it was fixed. The next year while getting it ready I found another small air hole/crack. Called them up and handled it the same way. All done by phone from here to Florida. The person I dealt with could not have been better. Very happy with after sale service. The boat was bought so my wife and I could enjoy going out without having to unwrap and re-warp the pontoon boat. It rides nice, handles good and cleans up with a hose. I'm glad we got it.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
Anyone have any experience with Hydra-Sports? I think it is the same parent company as Wellcraft. Looking at the 18' center console.
That boat doesn't have a great reputation. I'd suggest you shop around for a better brand. There are many sellers and few buyers given the economy. Why settle for a lousy brand?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
That boat doesn't have a great reputation. I'd suggest you shop around for a better brand. There are many sellers and few buyers given the economy. Why settle for a lousy brand?
I'm curious. What makes it a lousy boat?
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
secondcurve

Dan:

The fit and finish of these boats tend to be poor. We used to call them Hydracrap. That being said, maybe lousy was too strong of a word. My point really was to try and get lakershaker to take advantage of a difficult market to get a good deal on a boat. I'd suggest a used Boston Whaler or Grady White. Another good choice would be the Wellcraft brand that he mentions in his original post. The other point I'd make here is if that boat is being purchased for Lake Winnipesaukee it is a mistake. It is too small and the openness of the boat will only be good for warm weather. He would be better off with a walkaround style (22 or 23 feet) if he wants a fishing boat.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
Piston

I had a friend buy one brand new in '04 with a 150 johnson i believe. It was a nice boat for what he used it for, mainly chasing bluefish and stripers near the coast. I wouldn't stray away from it because its not a better named brand, it all depends if your planning on using it for a recreational fun boat or a bad-weather-wave-jumping-beat-the-heck-out-of boat. The average boater doesn't need the high quality fit and finish of more expensive boats.....although i have to agree that it is a nice feature to have.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
lakershaker

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies - it is always great to get a broad assortment of opinions. Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
Thanks for all the replies - it is always great to get a broad assortment of opinions. Happy New Year!
Lakershaker:

What type of boat did you finally buy? If you haven't purchased yet, which way are you leaning?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
lakershaker

Quote:
What type of boat did you finally buy? If you haven't purchased yet, which way are you leaning?
I haven't purchased yet. This is a second boat I am looking for, more utility and fishing, but small enough to keep at the island dock all summer, and the only reason I was thinking of the Hydra-Sport is a local CT dealer has one sitting in the Hartford Airport, and it looks pretty good. I like it because for roughly the same price as a 15' flat bottomed Whaler sport, I can get the 18' with a 7' beam, large capacity fuel tank, and a decent deadrise. Obviously, a concern would be that if it is a piece of junk in the long-term, it wouldn't be worth it, versus the Whaler which is a know quantity.

Overall, I think I am going to wait until some of the boat shows next month before making a decision, as I don't think prices are going up... Also, dealers will likely be more interested in moving the remaining '08 inventory heading into the new year.

But I do like the looks of the Hydra-Sport, and from what I saw with it on the trailer, the fit and finish seem pretty good. I'll keep you updated.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
robmac

Lakeshaker, Shep Browns has a couple of 08 17' Whalers and an 08 18' on sale right now if the helps at all.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Pineedles

Default Shep Brown's

I just noticed there doesn't seem to be a link to Shep Brown's Boat Basin. I submitted one, and after Don approves it it will be available. Until then their web site is the following: http://www.shepbrowns.com/
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
islerunner

Quote:
Dan:

The fit and finish of these boats tend to be poor. We used to call them Hydracrap. That being said, maybe lousy was too strong of a word. My point really was to try and get lakershaker to take advantage of a difficult market to get a good deal on a boat. I'd suggest a used Boston Whaler or Grady White. Another good choice would be the Wellcraft brand that he mentions in his original post. The other point I'd make here is if that boat is being purchased for Lake Winnipesaukee it is a mistake. It is too small and the openness of the boat will only be good for warm weather. He would be better off with a walkaround style (22 or 23 feet) if he wants a fishing boat.
I don't want to offend anyone but have noticed this post and it the facts are incorrect. Hydra-sports and Wellcraft are both owned by Genmar - in fact both lines shared the same manufacturing plant in Sarasota until last year.

Hydra-sports is generally considered the better of the two. Biased more towards fishing and has 100% composite build. The Vector series is the high-end of the Hydra line. The 180CC is their entry-level boat (formerly the Lighting series). To call them crap is just plain ignorant. The Vector line are built like tanks (Kevlar, etc.) and are offshore saltwater boats - doubt you would ever see them in a lake. The 180CC is a solid, mid-tier entry level boat which should give many years of service. A very good choice for protected inshore salt or a lake.

Hope this helps the OP make a more informed decision.

Cheers!
islerunner is offline   Reply With Quote