Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
ApS

Default Close Call Today

Just five hours after I posted the words "Close calls don't make the news", I had the closest call of my life!

This time of year, the sun doesn't hit my shoreline or dock. Since it was such a nice day, I attached my rowboat to the mooring with a little additional line so I could relax in the sun, feet up, while reading.

This was a mostly calm day with a bright sun — overhead and in the southern sky. My boat and I were perfectly in view, about 150 feet from shore. At 2:30, a bass boat going top speed approached from the east, pointed directly at me.

Between the thoughts "I'm going to die" and "I've got to jump up", he veered away at about 300 feet, passing me about 40 feet away. His gaze was locked on the horizon as he passed. He was about 28-years-old.

There was no time for a signal of any kind -- not even time to stand up.

It's a long shot, but somebody needs to confront this guy. He didn't appear to be looking for a fishing spot -- and may not be a fisherman at all. The boat is a charcoal gray color on the sides, with a large black outboard.

And so few boats on the water! Grrrr.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
secondcurve

Default Close Call

APS:

I'm glad you are OK. There certainly are a lot of idiots out there. I myself had somewhat of a close call last Sunday. I was coming from Wolfeboro heading to the Weirs with my non-boating girlfriend. As I got beyond Parker Island I spotted a bow rider coming from the direction of Rattle Snake. I was clearly on the right and there wasn't any other boat traffic around. The water was dead calm. I started to explain to my girl friend that we had the right away and the boat to our left would certainly give way......well you guessed it. The ass just coming and coming and crossed about 100 yards in front of us after I throttled down. I gave him a blast of my air horn and he just continued on into Winter Harbor. AMAZING!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:36 PM   #3
pm203

This past wednesday,I decided to take the boat for a little ride.After getting on plane coming out of the channel,a bass boat coming from the direction of the Governor Island bridge channel was headed for me at what seemed to be full throttle.The moron didnt see me untill the last minute and I had to change course abruptly.Well, the idiot changed course heading towards me again,never backing off the throttle. I had to change course again.He finally got his bearings and changed course.I was traveling at 45-50 mph and I would say he was about the same.I wish people would WAKE UP!
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
JohnNH

PM203,

In reading your post and a guess on my part:

You came out of the channel ( Wiers)?

The boat (bass boat) was coming from Goveronors channel.

NOTE: The boat on your right has the right of way.

From your description and having been through this many times, it sounds like the other boat was trying to correct or adjust course due to a boat coming from the left that wasn't offering the right of way.

In these cases, the only thing to do is thottle down or someone is going to loooooooooooose.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNH
PM203,

In reading your post and a guess on my part:

You came out of the channel ( Wiers)?

The boat (bass boat) was coming from Goveronors channel.

NOTE: The boat on your right has the right of way.

From your description and having been through this many times, it sounds like the other boat was trying to correct or adjust course due to a boat coming from the left that wasn't offering the right of way.

In these cases, the only thing to do is thottle down or someone is going to loooooooooooose.

John/NH
I was thinkin' the same thing. Was this a troll perhaps?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
pm203

I understand that the other boat has the right of way.What I should have clarified is that when I slowed down to give way to him,he turned his boat towards me.So I decided to go alot slower and turn towards the left.He readjusts his path to hit me again,realizes it and than turns away at the last minute.....All the time,never once backing off his throttles!Thats three times he was headed for me!He seemed very incompetent behind the wheel.I was behind the wheel of a 36 foot boat so its not that he coudnt see me.I should have flipped him one of those middle finger gestures or chased him down to to ask him what he was doing,but it was too nice a day,and I use my time at the lake to relax.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #7
Woodsy

It sounds to me like the other vessel initially adjusted course to pass behind you, when you slowed down and turned, he had to readjust yet again. I am betting he was as confused by your actions as you were of his.

It really doesn't matter what the other guy does.... Even if he has right of way. When in doubt of the other boaters intentions, just slow down and if necessary stop. You are responsible for the safety of your own vessel regardless of what the other guy is doing.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #8
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203
I understand that the other boat has the right of way.What I should have clarified is that when I slowed down to give way to him,he turned his boat towards me.So I decided to go alot slower and turn towards the left.He readjusts his path to hit me again,realizes it and than turns away at the last minute.....All the time,never once backing off his throttles!Thats three times he was headed for me!He seemed very incompetent behind the wheel.I was behind the wheel of a 36 foot boat so its not that he coudnt see me.I should have flipped him one of those middle finger gestures or chased him down to to ask him what he was doing,but it was too nice a day,and I use my time at the lake to relax.
Not that it excuses poor seamnaship but, I wonder if he was initially heading toward the wrong side of the lighted black and white spar that juts way out from the south shore. Can't recall the number on the light but I'm sure most of you know the marker I'm referring to. I routinely see folks head the wrong way around that marker and then swerve wildly as they spot it. Pretty sure it's safe to go on the worng side of it too if you are in a typical boat and on plane, but...

Glad to hear you just dealt with it and got on with your nice day out rather than taking the low road. Smart.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

One of the reasons I hate going over by the weirs is trying to locate Flasher #1 and it's accompanying spar. Going in can be a real adventure, and while you may have the right of way going from G. I Bridge to the weirs, it can pay to throttle back and work with the boat coming out from the weirs. Once you start to safely pass one another, you can wave a whole hand at one another!

PM203, I can understand your frustration, and share your enthusiasm for the joy of boating. I know when I go out from the channel, I try to give the flasher/spar a wide berth in case of traffic coming from Governors channel, but you can't always do that. Glad it all worked out and your day wasn't ruined.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
Misty Blue

Default Right of way?

PM203:

You were right when you stated that the other guy had the "right of way", almost. For years a vessel in HIS situation was called the "privalaged vessel".

That term has not been in use for years. The term for HIS boat is "STAND ON VESSEL". That is, he is REQUIRED to maintain course and speed. He may only change course and speed if he determines that to not do so may endanger his vessel.

You were the "GIVE WAY VESSEL" And required to change your course (usually to starboard) or your speed to avoid collision. It seems that you were avoiding light #1 and your only option was to reduce speed. And you did. When you determined that there was a "danger doubt" situation NH law requires you (and him too) to go to headway speed or stop. Five short blasts on your horn wouldn't hurt either.

It seems possible that you did not slow down enough or soon enough for him. But you say that you did and he did not obey the nav rules.

These are good rules. Imagine if you were entering a interstate and, even though he had the "right of way" a car stopped to let you on? Chaos!

Sorry....Didn't mean to preach. It's just a subject that buggs me.

Misty blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
pm203

I appreciate all the informative input....The key thing to remember here is that the other boater never reduced his speed.He zigzagged at full throttle and changed directions like a ping pong ball.What I found funny is that on a weekday in the fall,with only our two boats in the area at the time and no other boat traffic ,we still had the possibility of a collision.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
Cal

pm,
Sounds as though he figured you were going across his bow so he turned toward you to pass behind you not figuring you're slowing down. When you slowed and turned you then had him all mixed up and he then made one last evasive movement. Too bad we haven't developed mental telepathy...you two could have comunicated your intentions
Old 10-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
pm203

Cal,Thats some nice CSI homework,but the guy never slowed down.You would think that he would at least back off the throttles a little.Personally,I just dont think he was paying attention or knew where he was going or what he was doing...I just have to remind myself that I am there to relax,not to develop boat-rage.

Last edited by pm203; 10-12-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 AM   #14
Cal

Quote:
Cal,but the guy never slowed down.
Well I guess those bass were impatient to be fed
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
pm203

Those bass boaters do look like they are from another planet.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #16
Aquadeziac

We all know when bass boaters get in that mode there is only one thing on their mind......and it doesn't involve slowing down for any reason.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Wink C. L. O. D. S.

Quote:
Cal,Thats some nice CSI homework,but the guy never slowed down.You would think that he would at least back off the throttles a little.Personally,I just dont think he was paying attention or knew where he was going or what he was doing...I just have to remind myself that I am there to relax,not to develop boat-rage.
Sounds like it's time for CoLlisiOn Detection System. What CLODS does is detect the presence of other vessels or above water obstructions and issue an alert and instructions to the boat operator if it determines that a collision is possible or impending. Indicator lights let you know who's the Stand On and who's the Give Way vessel. Both verbal and text messages are given as to what action each should take, ie - maintain course and speed or throttle back you moron, throttle back you moron. A variety of warnings may be issued depending on the severity of the situation. CLODS is always thinking even when the other guy isn't. Available this Christmas at a Walmart near you for only $99.95.

More seriously such a system could be made, certainly using a very simple radar and perhaps via other means for not that many $$ (<$400 I'll swag). Problem is that nothing designed and built by humans is ever going to be foolproof and the liability lawyers would soon sue any small company building/selling such things out of exisitence. Moreover in the APS's case above it's not sure whether it would have made any difference. I could make a case that the operator saw APS in his rowboat and reacted in what he thought was an appropriate manner. No collision was really imminent, he just passed way too close. CLODS can't stop the deliberate idiots from being ... idiots.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 10-12-2005 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spellin
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

M-n-M ---in my prior life as an air traffic controller, while working in a radar environment, the FAA implemented a "conflict alert" system that was supposed to tell us mortals that we had airplanes on potentially conflicting courses. And it worked fairly well. It worked in conjuction with the transponder in an aircraft that put out a radio signal that was processed by our radar system.

I have read with interest the recent happenings at Logan with the newest and latest conflict alert that is used in conjuction with the latest and greatest radar system which is a processed signal that is displayed electronically, and find delays in hours due to false returns from geese or other waterfowl, and even from something that is not even there...do do do do, do do do do...(that's the twilight zone theme! )

Anyway, I'm thinking that an on board system on the lake would go something like this..."Yeah, Bubba and me was heading to our favorite bassin' spot, pushin' that Ranger boat pretty good, when the Collision Avoidance System detected a loon in the water a half mile ahead of us, causin' the boat to make a hard right turn...Now if anyone can locate Bubba, give me a call on channel 12, and I'll come back and pick him up. Last saw him heading for a landing in the middle of Timber Island...

The other scenario: " Gee Mr. Marine Patrol, I didn't give way to you 'cause I figured this stupid system didn't know what the heck it was talking about...

Ah yes, what would we do without Technology.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #19
JohnNH

I am still not convinced that the 36 footer didn't cause the problem.

36 footer came out of the channel and by the time the boat got out to the Governors channel ( let's assume this was after the no-wake markers), the speed was already up to 45 or 50.

I if was in the other boat, I would have been looking for any sudden moves on the part of the 36 footer that was blasting accross my bow.

John/NH
JohnNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 PM   #20
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNH
I am still not convinced that the 36 footer didn't cause the problem.

36 footer came out of the channel and by the time the boat got out to the Governors channel ( let's assume this was after the no-wake markers), the speed was already up to 45 or 50.

I if was in the other boat, I would have been looking for any sudden moves on the part of the 36 footer that was blasting accross my bow.

John/NH
You can read into it anyway you like. Bottom line is that the bass boater was driving like the village idiot. I practically came to a complete stop and was still in danger due to his multiple erratic direction changes and not backing off of his speed. As far as my 45-50 speed, my boat can accerelate to that speed very quickly . And,...if you were in the other boat, what you would have seen is a boat driving in one direction slowing down plenty time in advance to allow you to maintain your course safely and at the same speed.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #21
Smitty

I decided to do the mid week Bass Tourney out of Ames Farm Wednesday. The fog held us up for an hour or so. Once they let us go I fished around Smith Cove with no luck. About noon I went over to Governors Island Bridge and caught a couple of small mouth. Then I headed up the no wake zone towards Weirs, I decided to go try the docks at Weirs for a couple of fish. Remembering to go wide around the #1 flasher and spar. As I turned the corner towards Weirs I notice a go fast boat. I did a quick look back at the spar to make sure I am going wide enough around it. In the blink of an eye the go fast boat is heading towards me. Knowing I am on his right I turn more to his right, he turns right so I turn left, he turns left so I give it a good yank to my left, we pass each other with probably 100’ between us. I am thinking “no big deal”. I give him a wave, and then I think to myself “boy he is cranking right along for just coming out of the channel, you would think with a 40’, 100mph boat he would know about boating laws. I have been boating on Winni for 47 years so I am not new to the lake. We own these high performance boats we need to follow the laws otherwise they are going to put us down to 45mph.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #22
pm203

Smitty,
You sound like a nice guy, too bad you dont know how to drive. All you had to do was to back off your throttles, slow down and assess the situation. I saw you way in advance. You didnt see me untill it required immediate action. I appreciate the wave and while there was no harm done,you gave me quite the scare. Hope you caught something that day.

Last edited by pm203; 10-12-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #23
Rolie

Default Right of way

I've been on the lake for 10 years and have owned a boat for nine of them. When I'm on the boat, I like to relax and let the stresses of life flow behind me and dissipate with the propwash. I can't think of a single time when I just HAD to get somewhere in a hurry, except for the time I pulled a kayaker out of the water in early May a few years ago. He was almost gone, but that's another story for another time.
Anyways, I'm digressing and want to come back to the point.....which is....when I'm in my boat I don't consider that the right of way is ever something I have, but rather, something I give. I'll give it up all day long and never claim it to be mine. Until somebody invents the perfect bonehead detector, I don't feel compelled to ever be dead right about about some "rule" of safety. I'll never let myself be worked up into a frenzy by some moron that doesn't even know the rules of safety. And I will not allow an idiot's actions to control my thoughts to the point that I get so upset that I can't even think straight. That's the ultimate put down......the idiot doesn't know you exist......and he is exercising control of your being.
Give it up, it's not worth the emotion.

Upthesaukee, wonder if we ever worked the same sector?
Rolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #24
pm203

Rolie,
I agree 100%. On a normal weekend, there is so much boat traffic,that you have to take that type of attitude.Almost all the time, I end up slowing down and conceding right of way because I am not in a rush. I have to assume for safety,s sake that the other operator might not know the proper rules of the lake. I try to be as courteous as possible, whenever possible.I am at the lake to enjoy and relax. In fact,I still try to wave to everyone.