Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
defrost

Default Navman gps

I'm looking to purchase a Navman Tracker 5500i with the internal antenna. I was wondering if any has this unit and how well it works on the lake.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Will

Default Re: Navman gps

Well I think the standard is a bettter machine but as I said before its not a bad unit for the money.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:57 AM   #3
Catptn'J

defrost, I am also looking for a chartplotter with an internal antenna. There are a few models that come with the internal antenna and is C-MAP compatable. Navman is one, but for $600 and change was not impressed. Interphase just ame out with a Chartmaster 6I, which has a bigger / better display and is priced the same as the Navman. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet since its too new. Then there is SiTex who makes a ColorMax Wide. This unit is more expensive ($1K) but it is very fast and has a much clearer display.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
defrost

Captptn' J I looked at the interphase on the net looks like a nice unit. If you find any more info about it please let me know.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #5
jrc

Will, why do like the standard better than the navman? I've seen both in the store and although the standard does have a slightly brighter screen, otherwise they seem about equal. The navman is less money.

Plus I think the taller rather than wider screen would be more useful. After all I'm more worried about the stuff in front of me than on the sides.

Do you have some intangible reason for prefering the standard, like customer feedback, less returns, better support, quicker response, something I can't tell from playing with them in the store?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
skimmer

Depending on your boat --- in my Baja, the windshield is swept pretty low ... so to install a GPS is pain ... That is one place where wider is better than taller!

also, even at 70 mph ... there is still enough map in front of you with both, so there is no real performance issue.

THe support with Standard is top notch. I had a problem with my display. They told me to send it back and they sent me a new one... no hassles and quick turn around... That's the kind of service that keeps me coming back to them
Old 03-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
Will

Honestly I prefer the standard because of a couple of reasons. The first being the amount of returns on them which os almost none. Also if you look through the packaging for both you will see that the standard actually has a handy little piece in it, a quick reference card, it basically shows you the easy way to everything on the unit. Bang for the buck both are the way to go I guess it mostly just comes down to prference.

Good Luck
Will
West Marine
Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
mview

My navman gps went black after only 3 weeks. The guy at Boat US said a bunch had come back. I got the standard, and have been very happy.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #9
Lake Geezer

Default C-Chart for Squam

There is a C-MAP for Squam now. It is available at www.go2marine.com for $89, and is map NA-C157. The Bizer Winni C-Chart is also available there for $89. -lg

Screen shot of Squam C-Map
Old 04-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #10
GWC...

Default the Lake, too...

Thanks.

Interesting view of the grave yard...

http://www.c-map.com/productinfo/NT+...re=61#pictures
Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Drummer Boy

Default Ray Marine 435 or the Standard Horizon 175

Well I guess I'm down to 2 choices for GPS Navigation for the boat. Does anyone have any information on either of these two or a recommendation for another ?
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
fpartri497

Default standard horizon

Drummer boy:

I just bought standard horizon chartplotter 175 three weeks ago at west marine store In porthmouth NH. although Im still learning how to operate It, I think Its wonderfull very easy to see in direct sunlight..

fpartri497
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
Dave R

I have the 175's baby sister, the 155C. I love it. Been using it all season and have logged about 1000 statute miles (perhaps 20 days of "boating") on it. Very slick and the Bizer chart is wonderful. Has just enough detail without lots of clutter. So far, no problems at all.

Too bad about the Navman "issues", seems like a nice piece and has a better base than the SH in my opinion. I went with the SH mostly becuase of it's low profile. The Navman in the same place on my helm would have completely blocked my tach.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Drummer Boy

Is the C chip for the Lake the same for either the Standard Horizon 175 and the Ray Marine 435
Old 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
ThePlut

Default I have the Navman

I have the Navman 5500i on my boat for a month or so. No problems and I really like the unit. There is still a $175 rebate on it:

http://www.navman.com/thedeal

it was extended to August 31st.

I got mine online for $489 + $5 overnight shipping, minus the rebate, totalled $319 for the unit. Couldn't be more pleased thus far and am very happy I didn't have to drill any more holes for the antenna. I couldn't justify $200 more for the Standard and I haven't been dissappointed yet...

As far as I know, there is only one C-map cartridge and it will work in any unit that accepts C-map. (for example, I know for a fact that the Navman and Standard Horizon use the same one because I took one out of a Standard and plugged it into the Navman, worked fine.)

...Jim
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut
I have the Navman 5500i on my boat for a month or so. No problems and I really like the unit. There is still a $175 rebate on it:

http://www.navman.com/thedeal

it was extended to August 31st.

I got mine online for $489 + $5 overnight shipping, minus the rebate, totalled $319 for the unit. Couldn't be more pleased thus far and am very happy I didn't have to drill any more holes for the antenna. I couldn't justify $200 more for the Standard and I haven't been dissappointed yet...

As far as I know, there is only one C-map cartridge and it will work in any unit that accepts C-map. (for example, I know for a fact that the Navman and Standard Horizon use the same one because I took one out of a Standard and plugged it into the Navman, worked fine.)

...Jim
something about this story seems so familiar...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Question Mounting for handhelds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut
I have the Navman 5500i on my boat for a month or so. No problems and I really like the unit. {snip}
How do you mount yours in the boat ? I have a different handheld (non-plotting) that I often just leave "up on" the helm but this is less than perfect. I didn't wan't to drill or glue and have been looking into suction cup mounts (ala RAM). Just curious as to what you did/do ...
Old 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #18
ThePlut

Default Mounting

When I had my handheld Magellan Meridian, I bought a Ram mount with a suction cup base and attached that to the windshield to the left of the dash. RAM mounts are really first rate, I was impressed with mine, I'd recommend them. Lots of options in that catalog for mounting.

I have the Navman hard mounted to the dash, to the left of the steering wheel on the panel.

I have a picture up on a different website, let me see if I can link it:

The ram mount was suctioned to the left of the compass on the windshield, down as low as I could go (I don't have a pic of that).

Hopefully the pic works...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #19
smoke eater

Default NavMan

I purchased the navman 5500i and also got the rebate. I installed it on my 2004 Four Winns Sundowner 245 2 weeks ago and so far I am very happy with it. I did not want to spend what they wanted for the SH 155 and I think the taller profile of the navman works better for where I mounted it. The unit has great day time viewing and fast redraws and is easy to use with the C-Map chip.
smoke eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #20
New Hampshire Native

Question Can Navman 5500i be used on land also?

I am really interested in the Navman 5500i, but want to know if you can use it on land with topo maps, street maps, etc? Thanks for any help on this. If not, what is the best GPS to have for both.
New Hampshire Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:28 AM   #21
codeman671

Default Sh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Boy
Well I guess I'm down to 2 choices for GPS Navigation for the boat. Does anyone have any information on either of these two or a recommendation for another ?
My uncle is a store manager for West Marine/Boat US and his recommendation was the Standard Horizon products over the comparable Raymarine or Navman. I bought two and love them (in two different boats).
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 AM   #22
Drummer Boy

Default Good price

The Navman 5500 is $ 489.95 at Star Marine Depot
Old 04-24-2006, 06:49 PM   #23
jmbbop

Default Chip for Navman

Can anyone tell me where I can get the chip for a Navman GPS for Lake Winnipesaukee, also how much??
jmbbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
secondcurve

www.bizer.com $120.00 (includes S&H)
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote