Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
looniac

Default Boater's License

Hope this isn't an old topic, but if you need a license to boat on the lake, how do marina's rent boats to folks who (I guess) don't have one ?
looniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Look about halfway down

http://www.anchormarine.net/safety.htm
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Mink Islander

Default Temporary Certificates.

Under the provisions of New Hampshire RSA 270-D:14, a "14 Day Temporary Certificate" option will be made available whereby a boater who takes the test and passes it will be issued a boating safety certificate valid only in the State of New Hampshire and for only 14 days. In addition to the 14 Day Temporary Certificate, there are other more permanent options available that are NASBLA (National Association of State Boating Law Administrators) approved and recognized all over the country.

The 14-Day Temporary Certificate is only a short-term solution for your boating certification and it can only be used once. In order to participate in the 14 Day Temporary Certification, you can contact the New Hampshire Department of Safety at 1-888-254-2125 to find out where the closest location is to you or you can also determine where these locations are based on a sign at their location identifying them as a 14 Day Temporary Certificate Agent.

Individuals must be a minimum of 16 years of age to take the test and must get at least 80% to pass the test. If the individual fails, he or she will have the option to take another test at another date or elect to pursue one of the other options for certification. Individuals must provide picture identification at the time of the test.

If you have any further questions about the 14 Day Temporary Certification option, please call us at 1-888-254-2125.

No special interests were involved in creating this gem of a law....
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
looniac

Default Boat License

Thanks Vita. When I got my permit, you could take the test on-line for about 25.00 bucks. Now, I believe it's a 2 day course. Something smells.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Gatto Nero

You don't need to take the course. You do have the option of testing out.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Misty Blue

Default "Authorized Agents"

The boat rental dealers can administer the temporary exam. Fishy?

I had a tow a few years back. Two people on the rocks on jet skis on Stonedam. They didn't know where they were. They didn't know wher they came from. They were Japanese and didn't speak english.

They did earn their temporary license from a local dealer!

Misty Blue.
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Hidden opportunity revealed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
The boat rental dealers can administer the temporary exam. Fishy?

I had a tow a few years back. Two people on the rocks on jet skis on Stonedam. They didn't know where they were. They didn't know wher they came from. They were Japanese and didn't speak english.

They did earn their temporary license from a local dealer!

Misty Blue.
You have to work mighty hard to hit rocks with a PWC. Then again you did say they were Japanese. Perhaps Bizer has an opportunity here ... multi-lingual charts. Obviously one in Japanese is needed and Spanish goes w/o saying these days but I wonder if we need a German chart (they'd probably buy one anyway) or a French chart (Sarkozy aside) ? A Chinese chart is probably a good idea and thinking towards the future. A lake chart in Arabic is likely not needed these days and might attract unwanted attention from the DHS. Lastly I figure if the Portuguese can mistake America for India they need a chart ! You know right after I finish my GPS for Old SciFi Geeks I might speak to Bizer 'bout this.

The SciFi GPS .... it's a miniature of the Lost in Space robot. When you're headed for the rock it lights up and flails it's arms about whilst squawking "Danger, danger ....." Betcha your Japanese tourists would have bought one !
Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
VtSteve

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
No special interests were involved in creating this gem of a law....
Of course not .

Anyone passing these tests and receiving the certificate, is fully recognized to be a safe and courteous boater.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #9
Bear Islander

There are some states that allow you to take an on-line test and receive a certificate immediately.

New Hampshire no longer allows an on-line test for a NH certificate. However New Hampshire will recognize an out of state certificate even if it is received on-line.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
looniac

Default Boat License

As many members remember, the test was available for NH on-line a few years ago and that's how I got mine. My daughter took hers in New Jersey the other night which is acceptable in NH.

What's interesting is, when I asked how she did, she rolled her eyes saying "a chimpanzee could pass that test". The original test wasn't necessarily a cake walk.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by looniac View Post
As many members remember, the test was available for NH on-line a few years ago and that's how I got mine. My daughter took hers in New Jersey the other night which is acceptable in NH.

What's interesting is, when I asked how she did, she rolled her eyes saying "a chimpanzee could pass that test". The original test wasn't necessarily a cake walk.
I took the proctored exam in Nashua. I agree no cake walk. I had to study quite a few times. I knew nothing about boating rules and laws and 65 questions was enough at one time. I do know a little bit now. I for one am glad I did it. I learned quite a bit and all the safety information it teaches could save a life someday. Including my own.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
There are some states that allow you to take an on-line test and receive a certificate immediately.

New Hampshire no longer allows an on-line test for a NH certificate. However New Hampshire will recognize an out of state certificate even if it is received on-line.
Sorry, not correct. NH will not accept a Mass card issued by an online provider.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Phantom

Seeker -- As with NH, I am unaware of any online options for a Mass (MA) Boater Certification. Certainly "Boater-Ed" (the most well known) does not offer such, can you enlighten us?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Sorry, not correct. NH will not accept a Mass card issued by an online provider.
Sorry, you are incorrect.

We have been through this topic at length in this forum. Some members have even called and emailed the New Hampshire Marine Patrol for clarification.

Certificates issued by other states are good in New Hampshire. Period!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Skip

Thumbs up Out of state certificates....

Quote:

We have been through this topic at length in this forum. Some members have even called and emailed the New Hampshire Marine Patrol for clarification.

Bear Islander is correct....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Mat

Quote:

I did a search for other threads in this forum for the boating certificate and didn't find an answer. So I'd like to ask.

Why does the NH boating safety course and exam page say NH will not accept an MA card from an online exam provider at the top of the page?

I ask because this is why I got my NH card. If that statement is untrue I'm certainly gonna complain about that one. I would not have needed the NH card.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
Seeker

This is from the first page from OUR states Boater-Ed page. Take it up with them if I'm not correct,
"Live in another state, but boating in New Hampshire? You might be able to take your state's course. But, check with your state agency first, as New Hampshire only accepts boater education cards from another state if they are issued by the state agency responsible for boating education. For example, New Hampshire will accept the Ohio card or the Pennsylvania card for residents of those states, but NOT any Massachusetts card issued by an online exam provider."
Skip and BI I didn't make this up.
SKR
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #18
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Let me see if I can help. BI and Skip are correct but they didn't give you the details.

Here's my understanding: NH law does say that an out-of-state certificate must meet or exceed the NH requirements. Since NH did not allow online testing after 1/1/07 it technically shouldn't allow certificates obtained online in other states after that date. HOWEVER, the Marine Patrol has declared that their officers can not be involved in determining those nuances during a stop. Some out-of-state certificates obtained online do not say so. Every state's certificates and requirements are somewhat different. Because of this the Marine Patrol has confirmed that any government issued NASBLA approved certificate or license will be accepted by them, no matter how it was obtained. You can confirm that by calling the MP.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Let me see if I can help. BI and Skip are correct but they didn't give you the details.

Here's my understanding: NH law does say that an out-of-state certificate must meet or exceed the NH requirements. Since NH did not allow online testing after 1/1/07 it technically shouldn't allow certificates obtained online in other states after that date. HOWEVER, the Marine Patrol has declared that their officers can not be involved in determining those nuances during a stop. Some out-of-state certificates obtained online do not say so. Every state's certificates and requirements are somewhat different. Because of this the Marine Patrol has confirmed that any government issued NASBLA approved certificate or license will be accepted by them, no matter how it was obtained. You can confirm that by calling the MP.

That clears it up nicely for me. The link says " any state" Thanks.
Boat Ed should remove the wording about Mass from their website.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #20
VtSteve

I was just reviewing the online course again. My biggest problem has always been in their diagrams showing docking and pulling away from the dock. Particularly, diagrams that show the mysterious bow line being secured first, then the stern. In their real life video, showing a nice Regal with through hulls, they secure the stern line first.

In real life, not everyone has a bowrider, and some of their diagram maneuvers would actually be dangerous in some conditions. Particularly the one showing how to pull away from the dock with an opposing wind. I actually tried that method once to witness it. Untying the stern line, engaging the forward throttle while turning the wheel hard towards the dock. Even with bumpers, my cuddy would catch some damage in the forward bow. I don't boat in currents, so maybe that's a better method. But getting on my deck while trying to untie the bow line would be a little dangerous, if not impossible.

Some good information in the course, as it is designed for beginners first, everyone else second. I would think on water instruction would prove more valuable, but admittedly, hard to implement.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #21
VtSteve

Wink

I'm ready now !

Love the video of the give way boat (bowrider), zinging within fifty feet at a high rate of speed, and then making an obvious port side turn to pass within thirty feet of the sailboat's stern. He also Waved to the sailor

The head on video was more fun to watch. They were close enough to trade spit.

I'm beginning to see why many boaters do some of the weird stuff out on the water they do. They took the boater's course
Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #22
NoBozo

I enjoy watching the Mt. Washington leave the dock in Wolfeboro. They don't use a stern line at all but use a bow line and a forward Spring Line to keep the boat close to the dock, at Slow Ahead, left rudder, while boarding passengers.

When it's time to leave, they toss off the bow line and then continue to run ahead Slow with right rudder, straining Against the Spring line while nudging the pilings at the starboard bow. The stern slowly "Walks" away from the Aft pilings. When the stern is far enough out, they go to neutral then astern..backing away.

Having Twin Screws is a bonus. Ahead Slow on one screw, while running Astern Slow with the other screw is something the casual bystander probably never notices. It's a pleasure to watch fine boat handling.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
jrc

Like any other test, you have to learn the right answer plus you have to learn the answer the guy who wrote the test wants.

BTW Vtsteve, I use the pivot off the bow method often to leave a dock. It's most useful when wind is driving you towards the dock. You don't pivot so far that your bow crunches the dock. Just enough to swing the stern out. What other choice do you have?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Like any other test, you have to learn the right answer plus you have to learn the answer the guy who wrote the test wants.

BTW Vtsteve, I use the pivot off the bow method often to leave a dock. It's most useful when wind is driving you towards the dock. You don't pivot so far that your bow crunches the dock. Just enough to swing the stern out. What other choice do you have?
The video showed using that method was with the wind driving you away from the dock. At any rate, that method would prevent me from ever leaving the dock alone, and would put someone on the deck if I had a crewmate at the time of departure. One reason they don't show the "approved" method in the video, is that for many boaters, it would involve reaching down to untie the bow line, or having someone attempt to jump onto the boat's deck, over the bowrail, to come aboard. The bigger the boat, the bigger the problem.

If the wind is pushing me into the dock, I generally undo the bow line first, then do the stern line, gently get in the boat and push off. I've never had to use the pivot in over fourty years. But I have seen some pretty sloppy docking, and now I know who is teaching it.

In every case on their videos, it contradicts the instructional diagram or graphic.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I enjoy watching the Mt. Washington leave the dock in Wolfeboro. They don't use a stern line at all but use a bow line and a forward Spring Line to keep the boat close to the dock, at Slow Ahead, left rudder, while boarding passengers.

When it's time to leave, they toss off the bow line and then continue to run ahead Slow with right rudder, straining Against the Spring line while nudging the pilings at the starboard bow. The stern slowly "Walks" away from the Aft pilings. When the stern is far enough out, they go to neutral then astern..backing away.

Having Twin Screws is a bonus. Ahead Slow on one screw, while running Astern Slow with the other screw is something the casual bystander probably never notices. It's a pleasure to watch fine boat handling.
As a point of interest, the Mount has no neutral. It is direct drive. When the engines are running the props are turning. To reverse the props the engines are stopped, levers are pulled that shift the cam shafts and the engines are restarted in the reverse direction. This takes quite an orchestrated effort every time the ship is docked and is the reason it's gone out of control a few times when they were unable to do everything necessary to complete the reversal process.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #26
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Bear Islander is correct....
I thought these out of state certificates are ony good if you are a resident of that state. Boat-Ed's exaples state that. "IE: NH accepts Ohio and PA if you are a resident"

So you are saying a NH resident can just go online in OH or PA and be covered in NH? Does not look that way
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #27
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
As a point of interest, the Mount has no neutral. It is direct drive. When the engines are running the props are turning. To reverse the props the engines are stopped, levers are pulled that shift the cam shafts and the engines are restarted in the reverse direction. This takes quite an orchestrated effort every time the ship is docked and is the reason it's gone out of control a few times when they were unable to do everything necessary to complete the reversal process.
I've seen her come into Weirs Beach on the "Hot Side" a few times myself and said "Man.... I hope a prop shaft doesn't brake", She'd take out Central NH.!
I'm hoping that part of the off season maintenance includes x raying them shafts for cracks!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #28
Squam Friend

Default Out of State / Online Certificates

A boater's certificate must be either:

a. issued by the State of NH through the NASBLA course/exam/etc
b. issued by another state through their NASBLA course/exam/etc - the certificate must display the state seal and NASBLA's seal

This is what I have been told by the State's Boat Education office regarding licensing for out-of-state people who come to operate in NH.

The state also takes Coast Guard / Power squadron etc as you all know, but that's not the point of this post.
Squam Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #29
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squam Friend View Post
A boater's certificate must be either:

a. issued by the State of NH through the NASBLA course/exam/etc
b. issued by another state through their NASBLA course/exam/etc - the certificate must display the state seal and NASBLA's seal

This is what I have been told by the State's Boat Education office regarding licensing for out-of-state people who come to operate in NH.

The state also takes Coast Guard / Power squadron etc as you all know, but that's not the point of this post.
I agree but can a NH resident get an out of state???
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #30
Squam Friend

You might be able to get one but as you mentioned earlier, it seems that NH won't accept it unless you're a resident of that state.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I agree but can a NH resident get an out of state???
Certificates are for life, they do not expire. People move from state to state and their certificates are still good. Or A person might obtain a certificate out of state while visiting or on vacation.

I took my on-line NH test while in Mass and they mailed my NH certificate to my Mass address.

In my opinion the important thing is that you obtain a NASBLA approved certificate before you operate a boat over 25 horsepower in New Hampshire.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #32
SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I'm ready now !

Love the video of the give way boat (bowrider), zinging within fifty feet at a high rate of speed, and then making an obvious port side turn to pass within thirty feet of the sailboat's stern. He also Waved to the sailor

The head on video was more fun to watch. They were close enough to trade spit.

I'm beginning to see why many boaters do some of the weird stuff out on the water they do. They took the boater's course
Steve, take into consideration that the video host clearly states a verbal caveat that 'the scenes were exaggerated for the video' or words to that effect. Also consider the videographer's challenge that for the sake of clarity of viewing on a wide variety of displays, from portable TVs to wide screens that you just can't 'legally' fit all that action in except possibly with a very wide angle lens. It is kinda thrilling to watch that head-on though.

Is the BBQ hot yet? I'm hungry.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
VtSteve

Understood on the hard to shoot video. But given the intended audience, that head on was a bit alarming. I wonder how many new boaters think that's the way to actually do it? Judging by some, I think many took it literally.

At any rate, the knot tying is pretty good.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
onthebay

Default Lost Boat License

Two years ago I took the boating class at he Paugus Bay Marina on Rt 3 going towards FunSpot. The class was put on by the US Powersquadron.
I can't find the license and was wondering how to go about getting it replaced...Does anyone know how to go about doing this. If you are stopped on the lake can Marine Patrol look it up?
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebay View Post
Two years ago I took the boating class at he Paugus Bay Marina on Rt 3 going towards FunSpot. The class was put on by the US Powersquadron.
I can't find the license and was wondering how to go about getting it replaced...Does anyone know how to go about doing this. If you are stopped on the lake can Marine Patrol look it up?
I lost mine last year and I had it replaced by the state. I will try to find the link, it was pretty simple.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #36
chipj29

Found the link. In this post, Skip posted a link that brings you directly to the form that you can fax to the state. It took me 3 weeks to obtain my replacement certificate.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...6&postcount=51
Old 05-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #37
onthebay

Default Thanks

Much appreciated...
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #38
Squam Friend

Quote:
In my opinion the important thing is that you obtain a NASBLA approved certificate before you operate a boat over 25 horsepower in New Hampshire.

While I respect your opinion, it is the State of New Hampshire's requirement that a certificate must be NASBLA approved AND issued by a state agency. This is (at least partly) because there was a group in MA issuing NASBLA certificates that was not affiliated with the state and not being terribly stringent with their testing, like the old NH online tests. These are what are not accepted by NH.

I hadn't thought about people who move... you probably then can just transfer your certificate into that state, or continue to use your old one, since they do say it's a once-in-a-lifetime requirement (for now).