Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
liberator211

Default First Run Stories of the Season

Alright as Ice-Out is upon us lets share our first run stories. I launched today in Meredith while it was snowing. Ran over to the Weirs as the winds gusted and the snow flew. From the Wiers Channel I went to the camp on Bear which is where I will be spending the night. Not the ideal day to put the boat in the water for the season but any day the boat goes back in is one of the best days of the year. Happy Easter and Boating Season everybody.
liberator211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
EricP

I took my shakedown cruise on the SeaDoo this afternoon shortly before the snow started flying. I dropped in at our boat ramp on Hubbard Bay, rode over to the Weirs, up around Eagle Island then back. Pretty chilly out there. I had a windbreaker on over my vest, it was covered in ice from the spray coming off the waves. The chop was 2-3' with the heavy winds. The season has started!
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Water Camper

Default First Run

Took my first cruise last Sunday 4/26/2009. Stayed in Paugus Bay, as I left my Registration and Decals home. Was quite nice, but I didn't want to have to explain things to marine patrol. I'll be sure to have them this weekend.

Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Dave R

Took our first cruise on Saturday, 4-25. Stopped at the Wolfeboro town docks to buy coffee and a book to read at anchor (Three Cups of Tea), the Meredith town Docks for lunch (pizza) and the Alton town docks for ice cream; went into Moultonborough Bay, and Winter Harbor too. It was a very nice day on the water. Not many boats out, mostly fishermen. Never did drop the anchor and crack open my new book, but my wife and I, two 11 year olds and 4 teenagers had a great day on the boat and it ran perfectly.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default 4/24

Well the first time on the water this years was a late afternoon early evening ride for me. Got the Lake with the boat freshly delivered and sitting at the dock. I got the new decals place on and the registration stored, and went about all my normal checks making sure I had all the required equipment before heading off.

Then it was off I went with my Girlfriend and her two little boys, going under the bridge to Long Island stop quickly in at Trexlers for a little gasoline. before taking a nice cruise out around the island and then up between sandy and Long, and heading over to sneak between the hole in the wall. Before heading back through the six pack and parking back at the dock. The first voyage of the year complete. It was a cool even ride, and I needed a wind breaker by the end, but being on the water in April, makes it worth it.

The second cruise was off two Center Harbor for Breakfast, and Back.... that was a definate on the Windbreaker and the fingers got a little cool, but once again it was well worth it. The fisherman where all over he place and the lake as calm as could be.

There would be one more ride for the weekend, later in the day Sat. Up over to nineteen mile bay and back, just because I needed a ride...... It may not be summer yet,
but to me it started as soon as I saw the boat in the water.....
Old 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
This'nThat

Took the boat out for a quick 30-minute cruise around Rattlesnake. Air temp in the 70's -- but boy the lake surface air was cold! Had to stop a couple of times just to bask in the sun and warm up a little.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Default ...veeeerrrrry quiet out there!

Pretty eerie how quiet it's been for a sunny Saturday in May. Have not heard or seen even a single go-fast style boat here today in the vicinity of buoy 3. It's somewhat similar to having the lake revert back to the 1970's.....not a single performance style, loud engine, or even any pwc's.

Excuse me while I double check to ascertain this is Lake Winnipesaukee, and not Squam Lake?

There's no way that all this quiet can last too long....it's actually kinda creepy....and to paraphase the late Ed Sullivan....have the go-fasts really left the building?

Normally, one could count on continuous boat wakes, and the somewhat muffled roar of big-block marine engines zooming past...........but not today? Are the performance boats all out on a planned hunger strike or something? Not even seeing any go-fasts slowly padding about....
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
VtSteve

Absolutely shameless FLL, shameless

I'll see if I can direct a few cruisers your way.

BTW, water is cold everywhere, M day is a ways off too.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
ApS

Cool In My Tuftonboro Neck of the Woods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...Pretty eerie how quiet it's been for a sunny Saturday in May..."
FWIW, and while it was quiet, most of the boats zipping around this Saturday were bass boats. As the day calmed, two kayaks appeared at about 3PM. A bit later, I saw six bass boats traveling in a straight row—an odd sight to see.

Then, at 8:15PM (sunset is 6:48), a runabout went by without a stern light or light staff: Ten minutes later, a noisy go-fast went by with no lights at all!

As they approached the old "Tuftonboro Bay"—having passed about 40 lakefront residences—the go-fast then turned their switchable exhaust to quiet.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #10
colt17

Default first run 5/2

Picked the boat up at Channel Marine sat morning cruised over to Moultonborough to pick up the wife who was waiting on the dock. Headed over to Gilford had lunch at the Lions Den and then cruised back to Moultonborough. Not many boats out other than fishing boats. The weather was nice and it was soooo nice to be back on the water. 4 months skiing and 7 months boating... its good to be
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #11
winnipiseogee

Default Just picked up the boat at Channel!

I've always been told to wait until the end of May because the "debris" floating around can make it dangerous to be out cruising. Bad advice... very bad advice! The recent gorgeous weather convinced me to put the boat in early this year and man am I glad I did! Spent a couple hours cruising around Meredith Bay, Bear Island, checking out the new compounds on Governors - it was quiet, it was warm, it was everything the lake should be!! Next year I'm putting it in as soon as the ice is out!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
OCDACTIVE

My first run will be this coming weekend. Hopefully I can wake up the lake from her slumber.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #13
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
and to paraphase the late Ed Sullivan....have the go-fasts really left the building?

Normally, one could count on continuous boat wakes, and the somewhat muffled roar of big-block marine engines zooming past...........but not today? Are the performance boats all out on a planned hunger strike or something? Not even seeing any go-fasts slowly padding about....

No.. just waiting for some better weather. Wasn't able to get registration for the trailer in time to get up there on the 70 degree weekend. Will see you soon..
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
My first run will be this coming weekend. Hopefully I can wake up the lake from her slumber.
I thought you were taking your dollars elsewhere this year? I'm glad to hear that you have reconsidered and will be helping the area's economy.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #15
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I thought you were taking your dollars elsewhere this year? I'm glad to hear that you have reconsidered and will be helping the area's economy.
A bit cold on the ocean right now.. I wanted to test her out on a place very familiar to me. I want to be able to concentrate on getting to know the boat and not having to worry about getting to know the area as well.

I will be there a couple times this year. But I would have left her there all year... But we shall not go down that road again.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
OCDACTIVE

What a GREAT DAY... Headed up to the lake around 9 am.. Filled up at Fullers.. Wow it stunk having to put the debit card in 3 different times...
Cool seeing SamIam in the parking lot.. Nice meeting you man!

Launched her around 11:15am and took my dad for a ride. Figured since he flew to Long Island to test drive her in 40 degree weather the beginning of April, I at least owed him the first ride.

Took off out of states landing and there was NO one out there. Did a quick ride to Melvin Bay and back up to the house. 45 mph the whole way... 3600 rpm.. ran so smooth. Just like the dream I have been waiting for for 4 years.

Came back for lunch then out again with a buddy of mine. Out of the Barber's Pole waving to Hazel, past middle ground shoal, up to Trexlers bridge..... Only like 2 fishermen out there... Needless to say covered the distance quicker then ever before...

Back up into Melvin Bay and a major rain storm was covering Red Hill.. You know the type where 1 min it is there and the 2nd it is the same color as the sky with a mist all around it... NOT GOOD.... However normally I would get the foul weather gear out.. Not this time.. I was able to make it home and button her up before it hit....

All I can say is What a GREAT day... Can't wait for tomorrow.. Hopefully the scattered afternoon showers hold off! Let me know if you are up and maybe meet up!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Life is good

Went to Sheps today and fetched the Mee'n'Mac. Good thing we were a bit later than planned as I just missed the thunderstorm OCD mentioned above. When I got gas at the Weirs the guy said there was a fair amount of lightning. Rain is annoying but lightning in a boat on the open lake bothers me a mite more. Ran cruising speed all the way back to Alton and I was amazed at how little debris there is in the lake this year. I saw one solitary branch. Saw perhaps a half dozen guys out there fishing, 1 cruiser just drifting. Very nice day and calm water. When I got to our dock I was told I just missed a torrential downpour. Life is good !
Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #18
OCDACTIVE

I can't say enough about my first weekend out with the new boat... Unreal. The lake was empty.... Hazelnut good seeing you, couldn't stop in had to get back. (one of the guys I was with had to get home) Hope she looked good from your dock??? Were you able to hear her with mufflers on?

Instead of going into details I thought I would let the pics speak for themselves:
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
hazelnut

Thumbs up

HUGE thumbs up. Thanks for the show. It was so funny I was just about to clean my swim platform on the boat and I heard this beautiful sound..... I looked up and I squinted and saw the logo on the back of the boat, I knew it was you! She looked and sounded BEAUTIFUL! No worries on not stopping by we had to head out ourselves. Next time you need to stop by. Glad you had a great weekend on the new boat.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
boat_guy64

Default First run of 2009

We put the Searay in today. It sure felt good being back on the water. It was a little cool at times but everyone was up for a good ride. I also realize just how much I miss being on the lake during that first ride. Water was very calm until the wind picked up later in the afternoon. Not many boats on the lake. We had to get ice cream in Meredith and take a ride out to the broads.

I hope to beat my record of 90 hours last year. It's hard work but I'm willing to give it a try

I can't believe that it was only 9 weeks ago we were sledding on 18 inches of ice exactly where we were boating today.

I wish everyone a fun and safe year of boating!!!
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
robmac

What a great day. To be back on the lake and start clicking the hours. Started out at Sheps down into Paugus Bay to see friends,then off to Alton to eat the back to the docks. It's great to enjoy the season again.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
secondcurve

Ocdactive:

Great photos. Have fun with your son and father on the new boat. It looks like lots of good times are ahead for you this summer.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #23
ApS

Thumbs up It's True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...I was amazed at how little debris there is in the lake this year. I saw one solitary branch..."
There's not been much in the way of "natural debris" this year, it's true. However, following the very strong winds on Sunday, I was greeted with a large wooden plank that had lodged against my dock on Monday morning.

Given the NW direction of the wind, it would have been lost into the lake from the direction of Cow Island. It arrived with a single, shiny, air-driven nail in it.

I am surprised to see that this 2x10x8 plank measures a true (and rare) two-inch thickness, which makes it somewhat more of a boater's concern—especially, I'd think, for a bass boat.

Last edited by ApS; 05-15-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Change NE to NW...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
trigger finger

Default First run of the season and the lake

Good day to all
My wife and i took delevery today of our first boat a 2009 Cobalt 262, I felt like a little kid. It was a liitle cool and a little windy and a little rought but i dont think that mattered, We had a great time, I have been reading this forum for the last couple of months and want to say thank you to all of you who participate it has been very helpful. Have a great day.
trigger finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:12 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Congrats and welcome to the forum.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger finger View Post
Good day to all
My wife and i took delevery today of our first boat a 2009 Cobalt 262, I felt like a little kid. It was a liitle cool and a little windy and a little rought but i dont think that mattered, We had a great time, I have been reading this forum for the last couple of months and want to say thank you to all of you who participate it has been very helpful. Have a great day.
Welcome! Nice first boat you got there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote